Bottom always makes sense! But not for headphone jacks.

Posted via CB10
    Agree - charging port on the bottom is the best spot, but a headphone jack should be on top. Might require investment in bluetooth stereo buds otherwise...
    08-10-15 01:54 PM
    Huh? I hope you are kidding. Or do you seriously believe that this slider opens by inserting long fingernails in between screen and chin?
    The bottom of the so-claimed slide part looks fairly slippery and flush, which means that it may be easy to accidentally tap on the screen. The Torch at least had a lip you could push against.
    08-10-15 02:03 PM
    The bottom of the so-claimed slide part looks fairly slippery and flush, which means that it may be easy to accidentally tap on the screen. The Torch at least had a lip you could push against.
    Yeah, I can see that being pretty annoying, maybe they will programmatically prevent any touch inputs from registering while the screen is being slid up/down.

Posted via CB10
    08-10-15 02:27 PM
    Yeah, I can see that being pretty annoying, maybe they will programmatically prevent any touch inputs from registering while the screen is being slid up/down.

Posted via CB10
    Remember how ugly the q10 looked on first pics?
    Test units..

Posted via CB10
    08-10-15 02:41 PM
    Okay, so after looking at this thing for a while, a few things come to mind.

1.: Yes, that charger connector does look like the one that came with my son's old Samsung Galaxy S2. But, he has an S4 now, and the micro-USB side of that charging cable looks much different, and it's now white. So, that won't tell you much. I used to use my son's S2 charger and cable on my old 9800 Torch, and I use his current charger on my Z10 even now.

2.A: The curved screen edge is beginning to concern me the more I think about it. I haven't seen the S6 Edge in actual use to know, but how does it display regular stuff like photos or videos? Does it run off into the curved part of the edge? Or does it stop short leaving the curved part for "dedicated" information (or at least just blank)? I don't want to watch a video in landscape mode only to have the top and bottom edges of the image rolling off those edges with the distortion that causes. I'd hope they at least keep the image on the flat areas.

2.B: How is the curved edges handled in the Hub? In some of those leaked usage diagrams, lines of messages in the Hub do seem to roll off the curved edges. Does that mean that the message icons are along the downward slope of the left edge? And the quick actions along the right edge? That just seems cumbersome at best. What about swiping from the bezel in landscape to minimize an app? What about your own fingers holding the edge of the phone - is there a way it will know that your fingers are simply gripping the phone and not trying to activate something there.

3.: I suppose those two-piece neoprene/hard shell cases (like I have on my Z10) are not an option. Not because of the slider aspect - I could see a possible case for those who may never want to use the pkb - but because of the curved screen edges. Such a case would prevent the intended usability of the edges.

Overall, I kind of like the design. The apparent thickness doesn't bother me at all. I think the obsession with the thinness of these phones is ridiculous. The iPhone 6 Plus is way too thin for me relative to its overall size. The thickness of my Z10 is just right - relative to its overall size. Bump the size up to 4.7 to 5 inch screen, and the thickness should bump up too regardless of any ability to make it thinner. Otherwise, it just wouldn't feel substantial in my hand. But then, that's just my personal feeling on that. Call me crazy, but I like to feel like I'm actually holding something in my hand - like I have a grip on something. But then, that goes back to the item above, and how my fingers and thumb might activate something along the screen edge because half of my gripping surface will be that curved edge.

Posted via CB10
    08-10-15 04:08 PM
    Right... so the volume buttons that were at the top-right would then be at the bottom left, rendering them inaccessible as the phone sat in the cup holder.
    Picture your device going lock button (picture a z30/passport) side head first into the cup holder, this way the wires can stick up freely from the bottom. As well from the renders the buttons of the slider will be 50-65 percent up the phone ,which means you just have to put your finger into the cup holder vs having easy access to switch songs. If you'd like to pick up the phone from the cup holder, it will now sit properly in your hand as if you picked it up from a table.

Generally speaking once the os is known of the device, I'll be boxing away my passport. Worth the extra effort for it if you really do what it,good luck!

Posted via CB10
    08-10-15 05:13 PM
    Agree - charging port on the bottom is the best spot, but a headphone jack should be on top. Might require investment in bluetooth stereo buds otherwise...
    If there's one thing that's bothered me since the very first BlackBerry I owned it's having the charge port and headphones jack on different sides of the device. It's so awkward to hold something with two cables coming out at different directions. This is a welcome move, IMO.

Posted via CB10
    08-10-15 05:25 PM
    Is this a slider? Don't see a seam where the unit would slide... unless it's super-slim and flush against the screen itself...
    It's between the screen and bottom bezel.
    08-10-15 05:43 PM
    I have many of the same concerns and happy feelings all of you have already stated. I'm mostly concerned about battery life. It's going to need a killer battery and with the slider mechanism, I'm sneakily suspicious that battery life will be sacrificed.
    08-10-15 05:47 PM
    Especially if it's running Android, forget about long battery life. Not to mention the swift true multitasking that bbos has

Posted via CB10
    08-10-15 06:37 PM
    Happy to stay with my passport rather that this cheapo POS

Posted via CB10
    Lol so judgmental of something you haven't seen properly let alone handled.

Posted via CB10
    08-10-15 09:24 PM
    I really hope BlackBerry re introduces the dedicated hdmi port. Love it's convenience on the Z30 and don't have to carry around an adapter in conjunction with the cable.

Posted via CB10
    08-10-15 09:27 PM
    I really hope BlackBerry re introduces the dedicated hdmi port. Love it's convenience on the Z30 and don't have to carry around an adapter in conjunction with the cable.

Posted via CB10
    Well, you don't have to carry around the cable if you have the adapter. The adapter outputs to normal full size hdmi. So you can simply unplug whatever hdmi device they have, and plug it into the adapter. So in a way, all you need to carry around with you is the adapter which is smaller than the hdmi to micro-hdmi cable you used to have to carry around...
    dejanh likes this.
    08-10-15 09:58 PM
    Can you please post the original reddit URL?

Tnx
    08-10-15 11:06 PM
    Lol so judgmental of something you haven't seen properly let alone handled.

Posted via CB10
    I notice a lot of users are like that on here. So much hatred towards android and unwilling to be open to a blackberry running Android. It's as if blackberry violated people's mothers by having a slider running android.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    08-11-15 02:05 AM
    I notice a lot of users are like that on here. So much hatred towards android and unwilling to be open to a blackberry running Android. It's as if blackberry violated people's mothers by having a slider running android.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    Honestly it is simple. "On here" is the die hard BlackBerry base. We chose the os because we do not like or want the other os's out on the market.

So yes you will here a lot of blow back from many to the extreme. My personal opinion is if it is secure as bb10 and the skin is similar to to bb10. I may like it. We will just have to see. The hate will always be "on here" because this is a BlackBerry os site.

I hate the idea of BlackBerry going android and pray it is for one device. If BlackBerry goes android fully I am not sure what I will do.

Posted via CB10
    00stryder likes this.
    08-11-15 02:51 AM
    Is it me or it seems poor and made out a black molded plastic...??

Posted via CB10
    08-11-15 05:19 AM
    Is it me or it seems poor and made out a black molded plastic...??

Posted via CB10
    Test units (early ones) are not supposed to be HQ finished

Posted via CB10
    08-11-15 05:44 AM
    Well, you don't have to carry around the cable if you have the adapter. The adapter outputs to normal full size hdmi. So you can simply unplug whatever hdmi device they have, and plug it into the adapter. So in a way, all you need to carry around with you is the adapter which is smaller than the hdmi to micro-hdmi cable you used to have to carry around...
    That's assuming there is a device to unplug though no? Say you go to a hotel for example, it's not necessary they'll have a device with HDMI whose cable you can reuse. It's still two items realistically. Now if they had a slim port on one end to a standard HDMI cable directly would be much more practical but it's not an option.

Posted via CB10
    08-11-15 08:20 AM

Posted via CB10
    My Z30's HDMI port is damaged from all the times I tried to plug in my phone to charge at night.
    08-11-15 08:51 AM
    My Z30's HDMI port is damaged from all the times I tried to plug in my phone to charge at night.
    Lol okay I'll admit that is crazy annoying at night. Has happened to me too haha, but still working.

Posted via CB10
    08-11-15 01:41 PM
    Why not? A wall-hugger is only a wall-hugger when it isn't a BlackBerry?
    Unless it's a Z10

Z10
    08-11-15 01:45 PM
    That's assuming there is a device to unplug though no? Say you go to a hotel for example, it's not necessary they'll have a device with HDMI whose cable you can reuse. It's still two items realistically. Now if they had a slim port on one end to a standard HDMI cable directly would be much more practical but it's not an option.

Posted via CB10
    That's would be nice if they had the adapter and cable in one. But in theory, you can just keep a hdmi cable plugged into the adapter and just carry that around as one thing. It'll only be slightly more bulky with the adapter attached than just the cable by itself.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    08-11-15 03:26 PM
    That's would be nice if they had the adapter and cable in one. But in theory, you can just keep a hdmi cable plugged into the adapter and just carry that around as one thing. It'll only be slightly more bulky with the adapter attached than just the cable by itself.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    True, not really a deal breaker either way, but the advantage of the additional port is that you can charge simultaneously. Then again I end up using DLNA more so now so doesn't bother me too much.

Posted via CB10
    08-11-15 04:20 PM
    True, not really a deal breaker either way, but the advantage of the additional port is that you can charge simultaneously. Then again I end up using DLNA more so now so doesn't bother me too much.

Posted via CB10
    You actually can charge simultaneously with slimport as well. The slimport adapter has a microusb port in it to use for charging even while you're using the hdmi out...
    08-11-15 04:38 PM
116 ... 2345