Hi guys,

Im having issue with physical keyboard of BlackBerry priv after factory reset, key press not responding however I can use gestures or swype. No idea whether its hardware or software issue. Please guide..

Thanks..
    09-17-16 01:18 PM
    Hi guys,

Im having issue with physical keyboard of BlackBerry priv after factory reset, key press not responding however I can use gestures or swype. No idea whether its hardware or software issue. Please guide..

Thanks..
    Download Blackberry Virtual Expert from the Google Playstore and run the various tests. There is a specific series of tests on whether the keyboard is extended or retracted and one that has you press all of the PHYSICAL keys as part of a test.

Are you in the US/Canada where there is a free phone number to call. Another for the UK.
    IndianTiwari likes this.
    09-17-16 01:50 PM
    I tried bbve, slider test and physical keyboard test failed.. Well I feel something is wrong with some background process, as bbve failed slider test, however I can use gestures and swype without any issue
    09-17-16 02:01 PM
    One more thing I noticed, hardware related setting is missing at change keyboard popup.
    09-17-16 02:08 PM
    I tried bbve, slider test and physical keyboard test failed.. Well I feel something is wrong with some background process, as bbve failed slider test, however I can use gestures and swype without any issue
    Well, my Priv failed the SLIDER test and I thought it was defective. It has been that way for a few months. Then just the other day someone asked a question about the physical and virtual keyboards both open. The reply got me to change a setting and now I pass the Slider test. I always did pass the PRESS they key test.

Main Settings, Language and Input, Current keyboard, Show on-screen even if physical keybard is open. I had that as YES (on) and it failed the Slider test. I changed it to OFF and it now passes the Slider test. But, again, it did pass the Press key test.

Do you have any "keyboard" type apps? Any TOOL apps that might change how things work overall?

Blackberry Support 1-866-533-8067

0800-141-3330 (UK)

Well, you can try rebooting including Safe Mode which would exclude other apps from interfering.

From BB blog: http://helpblog.blackberry.com/2015/...to-reset-priv/

Three restart/reboot methods

The first method, which should be used 99.9% of the time when you want to reboot your device, is using the Reboot option that appears after pressing the Power key.

Press and hold the Power key for 3 seconds
    Select Reboot from the menu that is presented

The second reset method should be used if pressing the Power key does not produce the menu with Power Off and Restart. For example, if an app or game you are using won’t close, use this option to restart your device.

Press and hold the Power key for 12 seconds

Third method: Should your device fail to respond, the final reset method is to press and hold the Power key for 32 seconds which is equivalent to removing the battery. This should result in your device booting up successfully.

If it fails to start, however, verify you are not pressing any other keys such as Volume Up, Mute, or Volume Down while performing any of the reset methods listed above. If you use a case for your device you may want to remove it as it might be pressing a button inadvertently.

And just for an extra measure, if needed:

Safe Mode:

The next step is placing your device into safe mode.

When used, Safe Mode will disable any third party apps or games you have installed. As a result of this, should your device not exhibit the issue while in Safe Mode it’s safe to assume the issue is specific to an app or game you have installed. Safe Mode may also remove apps and/or widgets from your various home screens when you go back to Normal.

Press and hold the power key
    Tap and hold Power off (that is Press/Hold the Power Off prompt line) when it appears
    When prompted, tap OK to reboot to Safe Mode

To get out of Safe Mode, press and hold the power key followed by tapping Reboot.

After testing, should your device not exhibit any issues, the next step is to remove recently installed applications one by one until the issue is resolved.
    09-17-16 02:18 PM
    F2 thanks for proliferating this vital information.

** Passport SE on Etisalat 4G Network propelled by 10.3.2.2888
    09-17-16 02:30 PM
    Thanks F2 for replying..

That particular setting is missing , Please check snapshot in above post..
    I dint install any tool or other keyboard..
    09-17-16 02:46 PM
    I have done multiple reboots will all methods as you mentioned, factory reset, reload, nothing helped.
    im at marsmallow AAG202 ATT, unlocked... last time i saw everything in healthy form in 5.1.. i tried to find that previous version of att, but unable to find..
    09-17-16 02:52 PM
    Thanks F2 for replying..

That particular setting is missing , Please check snapshot in above post..
    I dint install any tool or other keyboard..
    Sorry, I missed that picture. I still have Lollipop on my Priv but I don't know if that makes a difference. Not sure what else to suggest. Is English your chosen language or the device?
    09-17-16 03:00 PM
    Yes chosen language is english..
    Thanks F2 for helping me through.. i hope it would be fixed by next update of bb keyboard..
    09-17-16 03:13 PM
    Did you run Safe Mode. It's only potential issue is it might remove apps or Widgets from your home screen. It does not alter your data or erase any apps from the App Drawer. You can either take screen shots of your various home screens or do as I did and video the home screens so I know what I had and where it was located.
    09-17-16 04:39 PM
    im having the same exact issue did you manage to fix it? i even tried to flash the autoloader , rest,safe mode you name it, nothing worked......what did you do towards the end?
    01-31-18 06:30 PM
    Today physical keyboard stopped also for me on BBK1. Checked for OS update and installed the latest but no keyboard. After several forced restarts, Android 8.1 started to ask me for the PIN, but was not possible to type any number. Then I thought to remove both SIM card and Memory card. Restarted keeping the power button pressed for 10+ seconds. Finally keyboard turned on. I think Google Play Services (that auto-updates all the time) was not recognizing the memory card existing format anymore. Inserted the card again, managed to pass through the PIN and then the keyboard stopped working again. Did backup of card data to a usb drive, than formatted the card, then ejected. Restarted the phone and followed the notification asking to set up the newly recognized memory card. Did it promptly. Restarted the phone and since then, everything looks fine.
    11-25-18 06:45 PM