Anyone else experiencing a bit of a delay when using the physical keyboard? I've always been a BlackBerry guy so it's fair to say that I'm a speed typer but I noticed that with this phone there's a bit of a lag when using the physical keyboard. Especially with words that have two of the same letters in them like all (changes to AL). I've played around with the settings and have found that by using SwiftKey instead of the stock BlackBerry keyboard app it alleviates the problem a bit but I wanted to see if anyone else is experiencing this? Thanks in advance!

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-10-15 03:49 PM
    Anyone else experiencing a bit of a delay when using the physical keyboard? I've always been a BlackBerry guy so it's fair to say that I'm a speed typer but I noticed that with this phone there's a bit of a lag when using the physical keyboard. Especially with words that have two of the same letters in them like all (changes to AL). I've played around with the settings and have found that by using SwiftKey instead of the stock BlackBerry keyboard app it alleviates the problem a bit but I wanted to see if anyone else is experiencing this? Thanks in advance!

I observed keyboard lag and missed characters when I demoed the device at Bell. Same observations from another user here http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-easy-1047800/.
    11-10-15 03:56 PM
    Yup. I have noticed that when I type the same letter twice, it often misses the second one. In fact, as I typed this "letter" missed a t and was changed to later, and "misses" missed an s. Hopefully will be fixed.

11-10-15 04:00 PM
    I observed keyboard lag and missed characters when I demoed the device at Bell. Same observations from another user here http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-easy-1047800/.
    Ahh crap! I was hoping that this was a software issue instead of a hardware one. Anyone else out there experience anything like this?

11-10-15 04:01 PM
    And I have also noticed that along with the missing letters, it also often fails to place a period after a double space. Overall, the typing experience is a little bad at this point.

11-10-15 04:11 PM
    And I have also noticed that along with the missing letters, it also often fails to place a period after a double space. Overall, the typing experience is a little bad at this point.

Ya I've been experiencing that too. I installed SwiftKey and played around with the settings which has helped a bit. I really hope that this is a software issue that can be rectified soon because I really enjoy this phone, it's a beast! But the whole point is the physical keyboard and how easy it's supposed to be when banging out long emails/texts.

Brancieri likes this.
    11-10-15 04:18 PM
    Make sure your keyboard apps are up to date in the Play Store!

Posted via CB10
    11-10-15 04:21 PM
    Have you tried switching to a different keyboard locale instead of the BlackBerry Keyboard as the language? In Android the soft keyboards are all like language locales. See if you can isolate it if it's hardware or software.

I don't have a Priv yet so not sure if this would work.
    11-10-15 04:26 PM
    I think that the issue is software, however it may be tightly bound to the OS.
    11-10-15 04:31 PM
    Have you tried switching to a different keyboard locale instead of the BlackBerry Keyboard as the language? In Android the soft keyboards are all like language locales. See if you can isolate it if it's hardware or software.

I don't have a Priv yet so not sure if this would work.
    Thanks for the tip! I have changed settings back and forth a bunch and again, the only thing that seems to have a worked a bit anyways is using SwiftKey. The fact that a third party app has made it a bit easier leads me to believe that it likely is a software issue. I'm a super fast typer... We shouldn't be punished for that in my opinion.

11-10-15 04:40 PM
    Hey OP ! Exactly the same thing here and even the same word you've mentioned. ALL is driving me mad! Always coming up as Al which infuriates me.

I just tried disabling EVERYTHING with the keypad minus the double hit space bar for full stop and auto Caps lock after full stop and it didn't make a difference. I've tried it by keeping the on screen keypad on even when the physical one is in use and that Didn't help.

I just tried uninstalling the Google language keyboards that automatically updated and disabled them - didn't help. And lastly I downloaded the Google keypad and made that default. It seemed like maybe it was a tiny tiny improvement, but still getting the same thing.

I've tried everything. I don't know whether it's hardware or software either but this is my second Priv in 2 days and both are exactly the same.

I echo what you said in that it's basically making the phone redundant if the PKB doesn't work. I do type very quickly and am already up to speed with the new Priv keypad, but I'm no quicker than any of my previous BB keypad devices (last ones are Classic, Passport and Q10)vans never had the problem.
    I fear it may be a software issue. Whether or not they update it is another thing. It's completely ruining the experience for me. Sorry for the dramatics but how I feel ha.
    Brancieri likes this.
    11-10-15 04:46 PM
    Do you notice it has trouble keeping up as well at times when typing fast?
    I have noticed this as well. Several times I will be missing the same letter in a word. Happened when I was just typing the word missing in the previous sentence.

Maybe this is BlackBerry's response to the double typing issue that plagued some previous model. Instead of double typing...we now experience single typing and we shall never type the same letter twice!

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android with the Privilege of Privacy.
    app_Developer likes this.
    I think that the issue is software, however it may be tightly bound to the OS.
    It's the way Android set up to handle hardware keyboards. The "keyboard" is an input method slash locale. When you attach say a hardware keyboard or Bluetooth keyboard, you're actually sending keystrokes into this software keyboard then to the system, rather than on a traditional PC to the system.

This is how the swiping is implemented.
    11-10-15 04:50 PM
    Ahh crap! I was hoping that this was a software issue instead of a hardware one. Anyone else out there experience anything like this?

It is a software issue. I expect the keyboard to be just like any other BB10 phone keyboard. The keyboard register an input imediatly, but the software just isn't processing that information quick enough. Expect future software updates to improve optimization
    11-10-15 04:54 PM
    If people are having issues, I suggest try overlaying the hardware keyboard with this, the stock Google keyboard:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...utmethod.latin
    11-10-15 04:56 PM
    At first I did not like the size of the keyboard at all but after a day it seems fine no issues just took a little to get use to. Also no lag at all so far.

Posted via the CrackBerry App on my Blackberry Priv
    I do hope they can fix it. It's my biggest complaint.
    Wonder when they will start sending out updates?
    Do you notice it has trouble keeping up as well at times when typing fast?
    The faster I type, the worse it gets. I paid almost $1000 for this thing with the main selling point being the PKB. I understand that it will never be EXACTLY like BB10 but it shouldn't be this bad.

11-10-15 05:04 PM
    Hey OP ! Exactly the same thing here and even the same word you've mentioned. ALL is driving me mad! Always coming up as Al which infuriates me.

I just tried disabling EVERYTHING with the keypad minus the double hit space bar for full stop and auto Caps lock after full stop and it didn't make a difference. I've tried it by keeping the on screen keypad on even when the physical one is in use and that Didn't help.

I just tried uninstalling the Google language keyboards that automatically updated and disabled them - didn't help. And lastly I downloaded the Google keypad and made that default. It seemed like maybe it was a tiny tiny improvement, but still getting the same thing.

I've tried everything. I don't know whether it's hardware or software either but this is my second Priv in 2 days and both are exactly the same.

I echo what you said in that it's basically making the phone redundant if the PKB doesn't work. I do type very quickly and am already up to speed with the new Priv keypad, but I'm no quicker than any of my previous BB keypad devices (last ones are Classic, Passport and Q10)vans never had the problem.
    I fear it may be a software issue. Whether or not they update it is another thing. It's completely ruining the experience for me. Sorry for the dramatics but how I feel ha.
    Try installing SwiftKey. It's one of the only apps I found that has an option for physical keyboard. Once you've installed it go into "Input Methods" and make sure your PKB is slid out when doing so. Make sure that "Smart punctuation spacing" is not checked off and you will find a bit of a fix. You'll have to physically type in periods but it's a tradeoff that I'll take. I would post a screenshot but for some reason the CB10 app keeps crashing when I try to do so. Hope it helps

Aneres11 likes this.
    11-10-15 05:10 PM
    Try installing SwiftKey. It's one of the only apps I found that has an option for physical keyboard. Once you've installed it go into "Input Methods" and make sure your PKB is slid out when doing so. Make sure that "Smart punctuation spacing" is not checked off and you will find a bit of a fix. You'll have to physically type in periods but it's a tradeoff that I'll take. I would post a screenshot but for some reason the CB10 app keeps crashing when I try to do so. Hope it helps

Thanks so much I'll try it now! the testing I've been doing is typing "all in all" quickly ha. So I shall try it again with the method you posted!
    And yeah the screen shot on the app is a known issue!

I did just tweet BB (prob won't go anywhere ha) asking if they intended to update to rectify the issue.
    11-10-15 05:13 PM
    Thanks so much I'll try it now! the testing I've been doing is typing "all in all" quickly ha. So I shall try it again with the method you posted!
    And yeah the screen shot on the app is a known issue!

I did just tweet BB (prob won't go anywhere ha) asking if they intended to update to rectify the issue.
    What's your handle? I'll RT it and see if we can make enough noise to have this fixed.

11-10-15 05:20 PM
    What's your handle? I'll RT it and see if we can make enough noise to have this fixed.

Markbarton83687

Just gave swift key a try. Didn't do a thing for me. I do type quickly and all in all still became al in al. Even sentences I just typed to test are missing letters. Grr.
    11-10-15 05:24 PM
    Maybe this is BlackBerry's response to the double typing issue that plagued some previous model. Instead of double typing...we now experience single typing and we shall never type the same letter twice!
    I would bet this is exactly the issue. This sounds like some developer's naive software fix for double typing. If I were BB, I'd look at that.
    11-10-15 05:32 PM
    I think it's kind of hilarious yet another double-typing issue (even though the other way around this time) glooms on the horizon. I haven't received my pre-order yet, but reports like that make me really consider cancelling it. A nearly EUR 800 phone which sports a physical keyboard as one of its prime features shouldn't have any issues in that regard.

Posted via CB10
    Aneres11 likes this.
    11-10-15 10:41 PM
29 12