As we all know, BlackBerry stopped supplying security updates, which given the threat posed by Meltdown and Spectre would basically mean that the Priv can no longer be used for any application which uses a password or the input of sensitive data.
    (I know the Priv is"only" affected by a variant of Meltdown which ARM does not consider to pose a big risk, but it is affected by Spectre and I am sure that even more side channel attacks related to those two will be discovered in the coming months. Spectre can be exploited by Javascript, so just viewing an advert with malicious Javascript code in a web browser can expose your private data).

Since BlackBerry is in the business of providing security for money, could we as Priv owners not convince BlackBerry to provide us with another year of security updates and support against a fee, e g paid support?

For legal reasons (Android licensing) they could probably not "sell" security updates provided by Alphabet or "sell" us Nougat.
    But I am sure there is a way to package that into a support agreement. After all, suppliers of Linux operating systems also offer paid support packages despite Linux being open source.
    A support package could for example be offered in the form of a paid app in the Google Play store.

How much would you be willing to pay for continued support by BlackBerry? Would 5 $ per month or a yearly fee of 50 $ be an idea? What do you think?
    mindedge and GoatHerd like this.
    02-06-18 08:33 AM
    Petitions always work.
    Carjackd likes this.
    02-06-18 08:39 AM
    It's doubtful that Blackberry even sold 100,000 Priv's. And a lot of them that were sold are now out of circulation (trashed, thrown in a drawer, etc).

While such a program would be nice, there aren't enough owners out there who would be willing to pay, to cover the costs of maintaining the phone software.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    02-06-18 08:51 AM
    I seriously doubt the amount of money you suggest per person wanting support, would generate nearly enough money to make it feasible for BlackBerry to produce updates for the Priv.
    02-06-18 10:08 AM
    I would think (without knowing details) that much of the work for security updates is done by Goggle/Alphabet. "Only" if BlackBerry - specific code is touched should more work be required. Of course testing of each update is required.
    Perhaps such a paid support could include an update to Nougat - apparently BlackBerry was already working on Nougat for Priv so the work would just need to be finished.
    If the Priv was on Android 7, that should reduce the amount of work required since the monthly updates need to be done and tested for the other BlackBerry Android phones anyway. How much Prv-specific work there is and how much money would be needed to make it worth it I don't know. If as you say 100.000 Privs were sold and 10% of owners pay 50$ per year, that would be 500.000 $ - enough to cover the salary of one programmer and one tester full time for a year and leave a small profit.
    02-06-18 01:05 PM
    I would think (without knowing details) that much of the work for security updates is done by Goggle/Alphabet. "Only" if BlackBerry - specific code is touched should more work be required. Of course testing of each update is required.
    Perhaps such a paid support could include an update to Nougat - apparently BlackBerry was already working on Nougat for Priv so the work would just need to be finished.
    If the Priv was on Android 7, that should reduce the amount of work required since the monthly updates need to be done and tested for the other BlackBerry Android phones anyway. How much Prv-specific work there is and how much money would be needed to make it worth it I don't know. If as you say 100.000 Privs were sold and 10% of owners pay 50$ per year, that would be 500.000 $ - enough to cover the salary of one programmer and one tester full time for a year and leave a small profit.
    The devil of course is in the details.

One of the biggest problems is obtaining all of the patched/new drivers from the various component manufacturers. As many components are unique to the Priv, then they would be impossible to acquire if the manufacturers only had a two-year deal.

Their strategic decision was already made not to support the device any further. They won't change their minds regardless of whatever pittance people are willing to pay towards it.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    02-06-18 01:18 PM
    But.... Why??? It doesn't gain BB anything but headaches.
    02-06-18 02:33 PM
    BlackBerry can maybe charge $10 per monthly security patch. They can make profit !
    02-06-18 02:57 PM
    BlackBerry can maybe charge $10 per monthly security patch. They can make profit !
    It would give them even worse press if they were charging for updates. They are better to leave sleeping dogs lie with a 2.5 year old EOL device.
    Wezard likes this.
    02-06-18 03:00 PM
    LOL!!!!! LOL!!!!!

They could make even better profits allowing TCL licensing rights for dual licensing with Sony for Betamax.

Imagine a triple bundle play. Television, VCR and phone. It could be an 80s/90s retro package with Michael J Fox as company spokeman.

In Canada, Fox could be swapped out for McKenzie brothers as spokespersons with optional licensed hockey stick campaign.
    Carjackd and MBrettH like this.
    02-06-18 03:04 PM
    I thought you guys are royal BlackBerry fans
    02-06-18 03:29 PM
    I thought you guys are royal BlackBerry fans
    I am a BlackBerry fan. I'm also a businessman.
    02-06-18 04:12 PM
    I am a BlackBerry fan. I'm also a businessman.
    Royal though?
    02-06-18 04:21 PM
    Royal though?
    I'm the 234th cousin of Prince William's valet.
    skinnymike1 and MBrettH like this.
    02-06-18 04:23 PM
    In Canada, Fox could be swapped out for McKenzie brothers as spokespersons with optional licensed hockey stick campaign.
    Sold exclusively at Sears.
    Carjackd likes this.
    02-06-18 04:46 PM
    Exactly. Loving blackberry doesn't mean losing all sense of logic. Like give it up guys. BB10 people need to move on and Priv owners need to move on. Stop being so stubborn
    What fun would that be?
    02-06-18 06:28 PM
    I'm going to petition @Bla1ze to make suggesting a petition a bannable offense.
    02-06-18 10:25 PM
    I'm going to petition @Bla1ze to make suggesting a petition a bannable offense.
    I approve.
    02-06-18 10:26 PM
    I approve.
    Booyah!
    Carjackd and Mecca EL like this.
    02-06-18 10:27 PM
    One of the biggest problems is obtaining all of the patched/new drivers from the various component manufacturers. As many components are unique to the Priv, then they would be impossible to acquire if the manufacturers only had a two-year deal.
    I found that pretty hard to believe. The fact that the manufacturer of a component just have a "closed" driver and keeps BlackBerry -the one who ordered that unique piece- in the dark.

That off course, doesn't change the fact that the 2 year period is fulfilled and they are done with devices. Petition or not...
    02-06-18 11:25 PM
    I found that pretty hard to believe. The fact that the manufacturer of a component just have a "closed" driver and keeps BlackBerry -the one who ordered that unique piece- in the dark.

That off course, doesn't change the fact that the 2 year period is fulfilled and they are done with devices. Petition or not...
    Component manufacturers own their own drivers. They are used under licence.
    02-06-18 11:27 PM
    Say.. do we have such passionate users in the Samsung & Android/Apple camps? The types that refuse to quit despite knowing they'll end up losing the battle? Petitioning is civil I agree, but who's listening?
    02-06-18 11:31 PM
    I approve.
    I second the motion...
    02-07-18 12:43 AM
    Component manufacturers own their own drivers. They are used under licence.
    Imagine of car manufacturers made you buy the car and a driver???
    MBrettH likes this.
    02-07-18 12:44 AM
    I second the motion...
    The BlackBerry Motion, if you will.
    02-07-18 06:15 AM
65 123