And the passport was suppose to be different...I've stuck around with BlackBerry through all of the "it's different" talks.

I'm all for growing the software business. But it's looking like Chen is willing to shutter the hardware side in the process. And that is a sobering thought. At the end of it all, BlackBerry wants to convince that it can secure Android. Then likely sell this security to the other Android device manufacturers. "Toy and business phone" for all.
    While everyone is trying expending their ecosystems to a range of different kind of devices, BB just talk about IoT, cars, "all ecosystems is blackberry ecosystems" only to be close to shut down hardware division. They couldn't even keep one tablet alive they released. Talk is cheap...
    10-30-15 12:09 PM
    I want them to do this test on the Priv when it's out.

Asvertus likes this.
    10-30-15 12:12 PM
    Did they even list the slide out qwerty keyboard in the comparison? For me, that alone is worth the extra $. I have been waiting for this phone with a slider keyboard! I talked to a salesperson at the T-mobile store and he told me that there are many, many people out there who want a high end phone with a good qwerty keyboard. I hope T-mobile offer it very soon. Otherwise I am definitely planning to order an unlocked one.
    10-30-15 12:21 PM

That is just WOW. How cheaply made is that phone? Don't answer that...I already know. Not only is it ugly, it sucks in terms of build quality. Slow clap for Google.
    10-30-15 01:44 PM

That I didn't expect. What a POS
    10-31-15 05:24 AM
    I hate how people take one look at a video like this and take it at face value. The Nexus 6p is not this easily bendable. This guy applied heat to the device which makes the device weaker since it breaks the seal that keeps it intact. In addition, this is a guy who specializes in fixes broken devices. So he knows what he's doing. Sheesh.
    10-31-15 11:06 AM
    I hate how people take one look at a video like this and take it at face value. The Nexus 6p is not this easily bendable. This guy applied heat to the device which makes the device weaker since it breaks the seal that keeps it intact. In addition, this is a guy who specializes in fixes broken devices. So he knows what he's doing. Sheesh.
    Seeing keys scratch the back is alarming. I am not a fan of cheap metal painted backs like that.

Posted from my Z30 with Google Play Store
    10-31-15 11:25 AM
    Lol threads like this existed with the Z10 pretty much word for word.

Some people cant learn from history
    10-31-15 11:40 AM
    Here, let me hit you with some science..... It is not at all a POS...

Seems the original reviewers methodology is the issue.

Mechanical Engineer on Reddit proves it otherwise
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Nexus6P/com...9xnk?context=3

Further Videos proving otherwise

Amy wineBerry likes this.
    10-31-15 11:47 AM
    Lol threads like this existed with the Z10 pretty much word for word.

Some people cant learn from history
    Yeah, maybe we should get back on track or have the mods close the tread.
    howarmat likes this.
    10-31-15 11:48 AM
    Seeing keys scratch the back is alarming. I am not a fan of cheap metal painted backs like that.

And for those like you, Google has provided the option of an Aluminium model. No painted back.

Seeing keys scratch anything shouldn't be all that alarming though. Especially when you sit there and use the keys to scratch the device. A true test is having someone put the device in the same space with their keys throughout the day and assess how it holds up...
    10-31-15 11:54 AM
    agreed! lets try to stay on topic
    10-31-15 11:57 AM
    People are always going to moan about price, as it seems that people can't understand the simple fact that if you can not afford something than the product is not for them and/or people have forgotten the simple concept of saving money.

You can easily flip the argument about pricing and relate it to people who complain about prices by asking them how come they won't take a pay cut at their job in order to make the product or service that is tied to their job/company cheaper for others.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-15 07:10 PM
    People are always going to moan about price, as it seems that people can't understand the simple fact that if you can not afford something than the product is not for them and/or people have forgotten the simple concept of saving money.

You can easily flip the argument about pricing and relate it to people who complain about prices by asking them how come they won't take a pay cut at their job in order to make the product or service that is tied to their job/company cheaper for others.

Posted via CB10
    Your initial argument assumes that only people who cannot afford something will complain about the price, which is quite a leap in logic on your part...
    darkehawke and bb4ty like this.
    10-31-15 07:40 PM
    Here, let me hit you with some science..... It is not at all a POS...

Seems the original reviewers methodology is the issue.

Mechanical Engineer on Reddit proves it otherwise
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Nexus6P/com...9xnk?context=3

Further Videos proving otherwise

So if I get this correctly: in the first video, the 6P bends with silly-ease because the screen was cracked prior to the bend-test; and in this video, the phone doesn't bed because the screen was intact to begin with.

I'm I on the right track?

Now, since the phone's screen can scratch and crack easily, after that happens, it will be highly prone to bending then.

So, don't scratch that phone too much or you are in trouble shortly thereafter.

Originally, I was wondering which of the two videos was lying. It looks like the truth is somewhere in-between then.
    Last edited by pomidor; 11-01-15 at 11:13 AM. Reason: I like to proof-read in Production
    11-01-15 11:10 AM
    So if I get this correctly: in the first video, the 6P bends with silly-ease because the screen was cracked prior to the bend-test; and in this video, the phone doesn't bed because the screen was intact to begin with.

I'm I on the right track?

Now, since the phone's screen can scratch and crack easily, after that happens, it will be highly prone to bending then.

So, don't scratch that phone too much or you are in trouble shortly thereafter.

Originally, I was wondering which of the two videos was lying. It looks like the truth is somewhere in-between then.
    Well guess what boss, the Priv is Gorrilla glass 4 as well. There are multiple videos online now showing that the Nexus 6P can stand up to 90 lbs of pressure.

From Reddit

]large-farva 536 points 2 days ago*
    Gorilla Glass cracking
    Can confirm, this is the reason right here. Cracked glass means that you no longer have a boxed structure - you're effectively bending a flat sheet of aluminum now.
    In automotive and aerospace engineering, we call this a "body in white", compared to a fully assembled vehicle. In a car, the front and rear windshield alone increase the stiffness of the frame by a factor of 2x. This is why crash testing is done with a fully assembled car, rather than just the frame and restraint system.
    for example:
    https://www.roush.com/portals/1/down...compliance.pdf[1]
    Adding fixed glass to the BIP can be expected to reduce the compliance by a factor of ~ �, and addition of closures (doors, hatchback, etc.) will also reduce the compliance.
    Source: PhD in mechanical engineering, I write finite element software
    edit: note that stiffness and strength are two different things. The guy in that first video was scratching something but calling it "toughness". Drove me nuts. Anyway, since incorrect terminology can easily derail a discussion, here are two quick images:
    Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet[2]
    Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet[3]
    deformation is the X-axis
    force is the Y-axis
    stiffness is the slope of the line
    strength is how high you can go before you break
    toughness is the area under the curve when you break
    hardness is something separate, the resistance to damage at the surface.
    11-01-15 12:43 PM
    Very fair price in Canada compared to same devices. They all cost more than Priv. Yes it is more in Canada but that is our dollar currently so nothing can be done about that.
    A better phone than Apple as well!

but give me a break with BB superiority claims..how's this for superiority? BB sold 800k devices with a avg selling price of $240 vs 48M at an avg selling price of over $600..BB is not a premium OEM anymore, actually they have never been, premium OEM does not give away their devices at such ridiculous low prices. BB cannot compete with Samsung and Apple period.
    11-01-15 04:05 PM
    That is just WOW. How cheaply made is that phone? Don't answer that...I already know. Not only is it ugly, it sucks in terms of build quality. Slow clap for Google.
    BlackBerry Passport Bendgate Issue. You Didn?t Know Of [REPORT]
    11-01-15 04:10 PM
    Huawei.... cheapo Chinese bin-worthy stuff... :-(

(Sad day for the environment)

 Priv New (Chendroid) World...? :-| 
    11-01-15 04:43 PM
    Well guess what boss, the Priv is Gorrilla glass 4 as well. There are multiple videos online now showing that the Nexus 6P can stand up to 90 lbs of pressure.

From Reddit
    I'm wondering how much the thickness of the glass had to do with it cracking after the scratch. I mean, I get that eventually you'll manage to scratch the glass, but should that lead to a crack too.

All that obsessing with making a lighter and thinner phone is paying off negative dividends now.

This reminds me of my surface pro 3. I wanted to buy the cheapest version and than swap in a larger SSD, but nooooo. The screen, which has to be removed to get inside the laptop, is so thin that it will crack when one attempts to remove it. So I guess when the battery no longer holds charge, I won't be able to replace it. To get a new battery, I'll need to get a whole new surface. Hmmmm....maybe that was MS's plan all along...but I digress now.

PS:

I hope the guy from the first video does the same test on the Priv. Anybody willing to send your Priv to him after you receive it?
    11-02-15 04:28 AM
    I'm wondering how much the thickness of the glass had to do with it cracking after the scratch. I mean, I get that eventually you'll manage to scratch the glass, but should that lead to a crack too.

All that obsessing with making a lighter and thinner phone is paying off negative dividends now.

This reminds me of my surface pro 3. I wanted to buy the cheapest version and than swap in a larger SSD, but nooooo. The screen, which has to be removed to get inside the laptop, is so thin that it will crack when one attempts to remove it. So I guess when the battery no longer holds charge, I won't be able to replace it. To get a new battery, I'll need to get a whole new surface. Hmmmm....maybe that was MS's plan all along...but I digress now.

PS:

I hope the guy from the first video does the same test on the Priv. Anybody willing to send your Priv to him after you receive it?
    Yeah, phones were plenty thin and light a few generations ago (IMO).. I dont personally care if the they keep getting thinner and smaller, I just wish they would truly improve battery time.
    11-02-15 09:06 AM
    If there are people who can afford the Priv and still complain about the price, then the simple solution is not to buy the phone. It is not like blackberry is forcing anyone to purchase the priv at the advertise price.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-15 09:35 AM
    Wrong my friend. All these phones are well established and consumers know what to expect. They also work well with their own ecosystem that is non-existent so far in BB world. Their consumers also know that Iphone price will be reduced maybe after couple of years down $50 of regular price. How about Blackberry? I bet even die hard BB fans wait for this device to get on sale for 20-40% down within couple of months. Should we talk about post purchase and warranty support?
    How about experience BB has with large scale deployment of android devices? Wil they get major android OS updates? Can it be compared with Samsung or LG? What is the experience that BB has running their own android apps on an android platform? Is future of BB as bright as Iphone's?
    When you are buying device it is not just matter is it premium or not. At the very end large portion of software development is free and comes free with android. So all they need to do is to create their own apps so should be cheaper overall.
    Consumers don't need BB , BB needs consumers and the only way to get them is to attract them with price. If it isn't too late already... But judging by how lousy launch of this device is, says a lot. They already gave up on device side of business and almost written all over the place we do not care if device business goes under. They just did not tell us yet.
    I have to agree with this quote. I refuse to give up my BlackBerry but it's frustrating that we can't use many apps and I feel BlackBerry has done nothing to bring back customers. I was so happy that I could get a BlackBerry with android OS just for apps. Then I seen the price. I am not dropping that kind of cash on a phone that is not established. We need to bring people back to BlackBerry so why not make this first bb/android phone much cheaper just to bring people back. Then a year latter if it is doing great you create another hybrid like this and jack up the price. People will have no problems paying the big bucks if the first PRIV does well. Look at the apple zombies that willingly pay for a new phone every year or 2 just to say they have the new Iphone. Why not do something great for the BlackBerry fans that have stuck around ? Give us a big discount If we turn in our bb10 device? Or if someone returns to blackberry give them a discount. I will stick to my Q10 for another year or so in hopes the price drops. I will use a BlackBerry until there are none left to buy but you would think BlackBerry would give us a bit of a price break to generate sales. Give people a break on this one then once we are sucked in jack up prices of the next gen. A struggling company needs to take drastic measures like that. I fear my beloved BlackBerry will some day not exist because of the current choices being made at the top.

Always on my Q10!
    11-02-15 09:36 AM
    The price might seem reasonable compared to the other similar specced out devices, but the brand equity is wayyy behind other devices', so something must give. If you have weak brand equity (blackberry), then price it lower, if brand equity is high (apple) then price it higher.
    11-02-15 10:08 PM
    The price might seem reasonable compared to the other similar specced out devices, but the brand equity is wayyy behind other devices', so something must give. If you have weak brand equity (blackberry), then price it lower, if brand equity is high (apple) then price it higher.
    Do you care what brand of oranges you buy? As long as they are the best tasting then I will pay top dollar. Your argument does not fly with that analogy. It may fly with the uneducated. BlackBerry has a very well known name. Yes, tarnished but well known.
    It takes word of mouth and marketing that the Priv is the top device for productivity, functionality and has all the toys on it then people will come and buy once again and not care so much about price if it tastes so good. .

BlackBerry Priv!!
    11-02-15 10:21 PM
97 1234