Do you care what brand of oranges you buy? As long as they are the best tasting then I will pay top dollar. Your argument does not fly with that analogy. It may fly with the uneducated. BlackBerry has a very well known name. Yes, tarnished but well known.

BlackBerry Priv!!
    Blackberry's reputation among 99% of consumers is worse than tarnished, it's trashed. It's really going to affect their ability to penetrate the Android market. My friends, who are all former BB owners and prime purchasers for the Priv, are all laughing at the product and the price. Blackberry simply does not have the reputation to command selling $700 phones.
    BGRS and 21stNow like this.
    11-02-15 10:27 PM
    Even this hour has 22 minutes roasted them on the price. You know you screwed up when the cbc takes notice...

Posted via CB10
    11-02-15 10:51 PM
    Do you care what brand of oranges you buy? As long as they are the best tasting then I will pay top dollar. Your argument does not fly with that analogy. It may fly with the uneducated. BlackBerry has a very well known name. Yes, tarnished but well known.
    It takes word of mouth and marketing that the Priv is the top device for productivity, functionality and has all the toys on it then people will come and buy once again and not care so much about price if it tastes so good. .

BlackBerry Priv!!
    You have another chance to buy oranges in a couple of days if you don't like the ones you bought today. And with unknown products you have sale all the time to attract people to try it. You don't price them more or equal as others...With phones you are stuck for several years, and we all know what is the resale value of used BB now these days.
    Techno-guy likes this.
    11-03-15 06:23 AM
    You have another chance to buy oranges in a couple of days if you don't like the ones you bought today. And with unknown products you have sale all the time to attract people to try it. You don't price them more or equal as others...With phones you are stuck for several years, and we all know what is the resale value of used BB now these days.
    I don't buy phones to sell them, most people don't I can say with confidence. No different than buying a TV, or tablet. We are not taking about cars and houses here.

BlackBerry Priv!!
    11-03-15 06:42 AM
    Blackberry's reputation among 99% of consumers is worse than tarnished, it's trashed. It's really going to affect their ability to penetrate the Android market. My friends, who are all former BB owners and prime purchasers for the Priv, are all laughing at the product and the price. Blackberry simply does not have the reputation to command selling $700 phones.
    Time will tell, wonder if VW will ever come back? Apple certainly did, didn't they? It just takes one phone.. Let's see if it flies. Many people said the same about iPhone when released in 2007. Don't you wish you bought their stock even a year after first iPhone back in 2008?

BlackBerry Priv!!
    11-03-15 06:47 AM
    Time will tell, wonder if VW will ever come back? Apple certainly did, didn't they? It just takes one phone.. Let's see if it flies. Many people said the same about iPhone when released in 2007. Don't you wish you bought their stock even a year after first iPhone back in 2008?

BlackBerry Priv!!
    The problem with comparing the two here is that BlackBerry can't realistically depend on Android to help it do what Apple has done. Given that multiple manufacturers provide Android devices, no one manufacturer has a grip on the Android market given the fragmentation of sales. Sheer volume in sales places Samsung at the top, but the manufacturer has seen a decrease because it competes with Apple on the high end of the spectrum and Xiaomi and Huawei on the lower end.

Yes, the BlackBerry Priv offers a keyboard. That's different enough from other devices out. But it's not a consumer device so it won't be anywhere within the realm of competition for Samsung or any other Android device that is marketed toward getting as many average consumers as possible on board.

Also, a BlackBerry comeback is very much possible. But software will ultimately be the reason for it.
    11-03-15 06:59 AM
    I don't buy phones to sell them, most people don't I can say with confidence. No different than buying a TV, or tablet. We are not taking about cars and houses here.

BlackBerry Priv!!
    But we are certainly not talking about apples or oranges as well.
    11-03-15 07:16 AM

BlackBerry Priv!!
    Many people may not sell the device in the traditional sense, but with device trade-ins for new devices, the amount you get for the trade-in is important to many people. Yearly upgrades have been made much easier, so the value after a year's time is important to many people these days.
    11-03-15 07:19 AM
    I agree with Amy as I don't buy them to resell, but if I buy a phone, and realize it is not for me (see my signature) I'd want to get max resale value possible. BB resale values are crap.
    11-03-15 07:25 AM
    The device is by far the most unique device in the market and it may be the only one to come out like this, ever. I may keep this longer than any I've used in the past. It is fairly priced and yes I would pay even more.

Posted via CB10
    11-03-15 07:35 AM
    I agree with Amy as I don't buy them to resell, but if I buy a phone, and realize it is not for me (see my signature) I'd want to get max resale value possible. BB resale values are crap.
    Making things even worse is the fact that Android devices have inherently terrible resell/trade-in value unless you get rid of it within like the first month. There are too many devices on the market to sustain the old way of pricing.
    11-03-15 07:36 AM
    Wrong my friend. All these phones are well established and consumers know what to expect. They also work well with their own ecosystem that is non-existent so far in BB world. Their consumers also know that Iphone price will be reduced maybe after couple of years down $50 of regular price. How about Blackberry? I bet even die hard BB fans wait for this device to get on sale for 20-40% down within couple of months. Should we talk about post purchase and warranty support?
    How about experience BB has with large scale deployment of android devices? Wil they get major android OS updates? Can it be compared with Samsung or LG? What is the experience that BB has running their own android apps on an android platform? Is future of BB as bright as Iphone's?
    When you are buying device it is not just matter is it premium or not. At the very end large portion of software development is free and comes free with android. So all they need to do is to create their own apps so should be cheaper overall.
    Consumers don't need BB , BB needs consumers and the only way to get them is to attract them with price. If it isn't too late already... But judging by how lousy launch of this device is, says a lot. They already gave up on device side of business and almost written all over the place we do not care if device business goes under. They just did not tell us yet.
    Ah. Stock Android is a fairly well known entity. That is what PRIV is providing. And it's the Android ecosystem... PRIV, being nearly stock Android, has access to all of it. Large scale deployment, yes BlackBerry has experience with that. Granular updates are through the Play store. OS updates are from Google and since BlackBerry didn't modify the upper layers much they should be able to get updates out quickly... another benefit of stock android.
    And the PRIV has excellent build quality, capacitive keyboard, big battery, and security built into the hw.
    Plus some nice BlackBerry apps on top.

What most people want, is to take advantage of a company that has struggled with OS offerings that lacked an echo system.

It's almost like saying, "you used to sell bananas, but now that you sell Porsche, they should be closer to the price of a banana."

It's fricking Android + some good apps on awesome hardware.
    Buy it if you want it, buy something else if you don't.

Posted via CB10
    11-03-15 08:24 AM
    For phones that run an OS with no ecosystem, that�s true. We're not talking about the same thing here.

Posted via CB10
    11-03-15 08:26 AM
    I think the PRIV will find it costumers. Every product does. And the price is not that high compared to other phones, plus have a real physical keyboard, while all the rest have only a screen where you can tap. If even Ferraris are sold, why can't the PRIV be too? lol...

Posted with Z30!
    11-03-15 08:26 AM
    And now they postponed the delivery date from 6th to 9th... Not a big deal one would say, but with their record these things are like flashes from the past. These are the tags associated with this product... name Priv?, overpriced, maybe last device, late... all the bad words.
    11-03-15 12:17 PM
    I think all high end phones are too expensive, but after holding the Priv in hand it feel like its worth the price. That being said i'll still wait for a sale.
    BGRS likes this.
    11-03-15 12:45 PM
    Austria:
    BlackBerry: ~760�
    Nexus: ~450�

BlackBerry, what else?
    11-03-15 01:04 PM
    Time will tell, wonder if VW will ever come back? Apple certainly did, didn't they?
    BlackBerry Priv!!
    Apple has a dedicated band of merry sheep that will shower them with accolades when they produce another shiny turd. All of their devices use aged technology priced at 125% of their competitors. Their desktops and laptops are the most laughable.

Comparing anyone to Apple is an insult in and of itself. Blackberry doesn't quite have the diehard fanbase that Apple always has. It's like a cult.
    11-03-15 02:42 PM
    Apple has a dedicated band of merry sheep that will shower them with accolades when they produce another shiny turd. All of their devices use aged technology priced at 125% of their competitors. .
    Wow! that "old" technology is faster 5-10 times the "new" one ..think about if they install the "new" in their devices
    System Performance - The Apple iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus Review
    11-05-15 05:00 PM
    If I wanna moan, I'll moan. And I'll moan loud.

Suffer Now & Live The Rest Of Your Life As A Champion
    11-05-15 05:31 PM
    Wow! that "old" technology is faster 5-10 times the "new" one ..think about if they install the "new" in their devices
    System Performance - The Apple iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus Review
    That makes absolutely no sense. Take an English class.

Also
    >2015
    >Using stock Android on a galaxy phone (which is what is used in benchmarks, apparently.)

Not even once
    11-06-15 08:11 AM

BlackBerry Priv!!
    I would hardly throw VW in there. Their emission test scam isn't nearly as bad as Toyota's spontaneous combustion issues, or the countless GM recalls. Their is like the first recall in VW history and it affect emissions, not people dying...

Posted via CB10
    11-06-15 06:01 PM
97 ... 234