I took advantage of the reduced price for August and picked up a Priv to essentially replace my Passport. As you can imagine, completely loved the passport... but the lack of updates has begun to bog it down... so on to Android. Below are my impressions after the first full week plus a few days. Keep in mind I'm no techie, but I do place heavy workloads on my devices.
    - fit and finish, build quality: looks and feels like a premium phone. No screen clicking, the back feels firm with appropriate give when pressed.

- Apps: I had the play store installed on the passport and was able to run those that were important to me. However, they were often slow to load and sometimes crash or freeze up. Especially as the apps were updated but the OS was not. On the Priv, I have to say the speed and fluidity of which they operate is great. I still don't use nor require a ton of apps, but it's nice to have greater consistency in their operation

- Display, I do like the display and actually being able to use a landscape view, especially when viewing video. The picture quality is great too... although when viewing an identical video side by side with the passport, was hard pressed to tell the difference in quality. Not sure if that says more about the Passport or less about the Priv. Either way I'm completely satisfied with the image quality.

- Hub: glad it's in place... love having all accounts in one easily viewed place. Integration is decent

- Battery life : has been great, not quite as strong as the passport, but it has gotten the job done

- Keyboards: initially I thought the pkb was too narrow... but within a couple of days I was banging away without looking at the keys. Yes it could use just a touch more width, but it works. Also glad they kept the touch functionality of it. Also really starting to like the all touch kb as well... really well done. Much nicer than the iPhone 6 (yes I've owned one).

- BlackBerry "feel": oddly enough there is a blackberry feel to it that I wasn't expecting. As my first Android phone, not sure if that's just the os or if it's Blackberrys touches and apps they've added... but pleasantly surprised. It is making the transition easier

As for my initial dislikes/ disappointments. BlackBerry 10 was so well thought out and simple functions done in ways that make sense that it makes certain things really stand out to me. Perhaps I just don't know how to do something, but that further accentuates the lack of intuitive functionality

- saving pictures: seems like a convoluted process... I miss just pressing and holding an image to bring up the option to save it. Some pictures from online I still haven't figured out how to save

- videos won't continue to play in the background. On bb10 if I had something playing that I was listening to, I could minimize into a tile and do something else on the phone without disruption. Not so here, the audio stops instantly

- Hub.. more specifically the stock messenger/text app.. when you view messages there.. why does it leave the hub? Makes no sense to me..

- Display... it's still nicer to read webpages and such on the passport

- no built in Docs to go? Am I just missing it?

- lack of dark/black themes on apps and it the device. Personal preference I know, but I happen to like the dark themes

- Apps... I know BB10 gets a bad rap for lack of apps, but it seems like half the apps I'm installing are to give me the functionality of features that were baked into bb10. Again though, this could be largely because of my own lack of know how when it comes to android os.

- the phone app: while I like that the answer/decline function is like that of the passport, the rest of the functions feel bulky and require too many steps.

Current verdict? Right now I give it a B+, with the likelihood of it becoming a solid "A". I know much of my initial frustrations will go away as become more familiar with the OS, and other items i'll just have to simply get over it. But I firmly feel that blackberry will continue to update and add features to this device that will allow it continue to improve. Finally, I do feel it is a viable platform for the blackberry faithful to transfer to... as I am one been a user since the beginning

on the road with my BlackBerry
    jamesbondOO7 and FF22 like this.
    08-23-16 12:23 AM
    Still struggling with battery life and physical keyboard. And the heat it generates!

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    08-23-16 01:07 AM
    I can see you really spent some time with the device.
    Why leave the Hub? Cause it is still Android based.
    BlackBerry did some work but at least not enough for me.
    After two days of trial on Priv, I still got back to Passport since there isn't any app I need doesn't run on Passport and I like the simplicity of Passport: you get to do anything that you want in seconds. Android isn't so bad, but it does takes more steps.
    Glad that you like the device though I wont give it another try in the foreseeable future. Maybe I will, if I find something I need doesn't run on Passport.

Posted via CB10
    bigjman likes this.
    08-23-16 01:39 AM
    I can see you really spent some time with the device.
    Why leave the Hub? Cause it is still Android based.
    BlackBerry did some work but at least not enough for me.
    After two days of trial on Priv, I still got back to Passport since there isn't any app I need doesn't run on Passport and I like the simplicity of Passport: you get to do anything that you want in seconds. Android isn't so bad, but it does takes more steps.
    Glad that you like the device though I wont give it another try in the foreseeable future. Maybe I will, if I find something I need doesn't run on Passport.

Posted via CB10
    I still have the Passport, although I've been using it more as a tablet at home now. Just trying to give the Priv it's fair shake.. that said, I still prefer the keyboard on the passport and the device overall. But I do think with more familiarity I'll be able to get to a point where the Priv is my go to, especially if BlackBerry keeps pushing consistent updates

08-23-16 06:41 AM
    Ola New PRIV owner!

New OS = new ways to do things...

- To save pix or whatever you wanna do with "option" , use the 3 dots top right usually that's where it is and options are.

- To keep your YouTube videos playing while doing something else, you need Firefox instead of the YouTube app... that'll do it.

- SMS in Hub opening app instead of staying in the Hub is normal since in Android you choose your SMS app and the PRIV has none of its own ... (I use Textra myself..)

- Dark stuffs are coming with next OS update #Nougat

#HopeItHelps

08-23-16 01:19 PM
    Appreciate it!

08-23-16 01:48 PM
    For saving pics you can also long press and the options should come up.

Attached Thumbnails Passport to Priv first impressions...-30144.jpg  
    08-23-16 04:38 PM