Two very important features of BlackBerry 10 phones were -
    - BlackBerry Natural Sound; and
    - Paratek antenna.

Does anyone know if these features were built into Priv as well? If yes, were these features passed onto TCL built BlackBerry phones like Dtek50, Dtek60 and KeyOne?

KR, MB
    05-26-17 03:38 AM
    Excellent questions. Looking forward to informed replies and not speculation.
    05-26-17 05:08 AM
    - Paratek antenna.

Does anyone know if these features were built into Priv as well? If yes, were these features passed onto TCL built BlackBerry phones like Dtek50, Dtek60 and KeyOne?

KR, MB
    I know that the Paratek question has been around for a while and I'm not sure anything definitive was found. It was not listed in the phone's specs. I'm not sure if any dissection videos showed that antenna.
    05-26-17 10:58 AM
    All of these have the paratek to my knowledge, not sure about the "natural sound" stuff

Z30
    Classic
    Passport
    Priv
    FF22 and xandros9 like this.
    05-26-17 11:02 AM
    Excellent questions. Looking forward to informed replies and not speculation.
    Informed replies would therefore require knowledge of what each term means beyond mere marketing.
    xandros9 likes this.
    05-26-17 01:09 PM
    Informed replies would therefore require knowledge of what each term means beyond mere marketing.
    It's kind of like when I hit the market and ask for "inorganic produce!"
    05-26-17 05:25 PM
    Compared to the passport, the priv has both a weaker signal and lower quality call audio. In Canada anyway.
    05-26-17 05:57 PM
    Compared to the passport, the priv has both a weaker signal and lower quality call audio. In Canada anyway.
    I used to have a passport and now a priv. I'd say, the priv performs where it has to perform in signal strength and call quality. My passport sometimes struggles to hook on LTE on fringe areas as it prefers a full 3G or HSPA not for the priv, if that area is on LTE then it will connect to the LTE even though for just 1 bar and it stays.

Yeah sometimes the bars juggle a bit but still it doesn't affect the word or the connectivity and as for the call quality, i sometimes have to call in busy and noisy environments as i have to go down to project sites, but i still can speak and i can hear what the other side speaks to me. Even sometimes the other side doesn't wanna believe I'm in a busy environment as they can't hear any background noise! Creepy ha??

I hope the keyone will do the same, but not sure here if the Paratek thing will work on the Keyone as it's not produced by BBRY..
    Nathan Conley and xandros9 like this.
    05-26-17 06:44 PM
    - Paratek antenna.

KR, MB
    Supposedly, the Priv is the last BlackBerry with a paratek antenna. Call quality is excellent, and reception exceeds nearly every phone that is GSM.

I'd compare it to the passport. No matter what they engineered (they won't confirm anything here), it simply works great. And to further this, speakerphone function /microphone is second to none.

So, if you have a Passport, you will have noting other than a faster and stronger connection. Don't worry.
    Last edited by Nathan Conley; 05-27-17 at 12:11 AM.
    05-26-17 11:37 PM
    Additionally, the Priv connects to LTE where others drop. You can head deeper into concrete buildings than most.

I go to the VA hospital in Minneapolis (which is massive), and have reception almost into the basement with LTE. Most people are trying to find line of sight with the windows, and head to the outermost waiting rooms.
    stlabrat likes this.
    05-26-17 11:41 PM
    Thank you for insights and experiences.
    05-27-17 12:17 AM
    Also note that the little 'signal strength bars' on the Priv are fairly accurate, while almost every other phone, (including past BlackBerries) has them exaggerated to show better than it actually is. The Priv consistently makes good quality calls and or data downloads with one bar. Most phones are pretty useless with one bar. I can make reasonable calls with zero bars, it's obvious the signal is weak, but it works and doesn't even drop calls a whole lot. Try using an iPhone with zero bars!
    05-28-17 08:24 AM
    Try using an iPhone with zero bars!
    Or if it has an Intel modem, try using more than six inches away from a tower.
    05-28-17 10:40 AM