I got what you are saying. For me, I personally don't need all of those apps. I mainly use my phone for talking, texting and handling my email accounts. So for me, this phone does what I need it to do. Every one is different and they have their own needs. So yeah, BlackBerry dropped the ball for people that wanted those apps and I can definitely agree that is the one thing that is lacking, native BlackBerry apps.

Rocking a Z30 on Verizon
    I understand what you mean. But very few people who use the their smartphone just for calls, texts and email are tech savvy or research all platforms. For those basic needs any smartphone would do just fine for them, even Jolla, ubuntu or Firefox OS.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    MO3iusONE likes this.
    09-14-15 11:11 AM
    Hey Soulstream, did Ubuntu ever make their phone? I was actually very interested in that phone, but If I remember right, they pulled the plug on it awhile back. I use Ubuntu on my laptop and that phone really peaked my interest.

Rocking a Z30 on Verizon
    09-14-15 11:17 AM
    Careful, you'll wake the Loyalists with that kind of talk.
    Let me tell ya something...

Wait I forgot.

Posted from my Q10 via the power of "Q"
    09-14-15 11:33 AM
    For me "security" means blocking all out with a firewall and "privacy" means installing an ad blocker. I can do that with a rooted Android phone but can't do that on a "secure" BlackBerry. So which OS is possibly more "secure"?

Posted via CB10
    Once you root an android not only YOU but anything else you put on the device can also have root access. So you just kissed your security goodbye. Do you realize how root is obtained? Through security holes/vulnerabilities. When was the last time you rooted one of your BlackBerry devices?
    I don't need a firewall on my BlackBerry. To block ad's in my browser I use Browsie Browser. Done.
    09-14-15 11:33 AM
    I think the main problem with BlackBerry 10 is the apps. People are too lazy to go to the bank, read a hagstrom map to see where they are and where they're going, and can't post the food they're eating properly on the Web. Really people? Our society is becoming what is to me like the movie Wall-E. Over consumption and I need everything done through an app because it's too time consuming to do it otherwise. How many of you have actually taken the time to write a thank you note or a letter to your mom or dad? I think maybe 10% of you. Suck it up. If you "need " those apps to complete your life, go to Android and Ios. Maybe BlackBerry should make their slogan "keeping people human, because we don't have all those lazy apps." and thank you, I prefer my key wind,key set pocket watch over some electronic watch. True artesian craftsmanship there.

Rocking a Z30 on Verizon
    Seriously? Too lazy to go to the bank? It's called convenience. The fact that I can use a banking app to snap a picture of a check in order for it to automatically be deposited in my account is pretty damn convenient. Ain't trying to waste my time going to the bank, stand in line then have to drive back..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    kbz1960 and ayngling like this.
    09-14-15 11:35 AM
    I have been a loyal BlackBerry user for 11 years. I'm tired of having to borrow my wife's iphone whenever I want to deposit a cheque on our banking app, control our Denon sound system throughout the house.... just to mention 2 of many deficiencies that have left me on the verge of giving up on BlackBerry. That being said, there are so many things I love about my Q10, so I'm so optimistic about the new slider being the best of both worlds. I'm sure it won't be without glitches in the beginning, (and forever), but I'm also confident that this is a step forward for BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    I understand that. As for the making up for what BlackBerry 10 can't do I just choose to use another device. Like my spare iphone or a Nexus 7 2013.

Actually, having my Nexus 7 around is a nice compliment to the Q10. I am a long time PlayBook user and chose to supplement it with the Nexus 7 and the 1 thing I missed the most was opening things on the bigger screen of my PlayBook.

Well with NFC on both, if I open up a link in an email I can just tap the 2 together and open it on the Nexus.
    Email is on both, file transfer is WAY easier from either the Q10 to the Nexus or the other way around. Including wifi direct.

09-14-15 11:38 AM
    I got what you are saying. For me, I personally don't need all of those apps. I mainly use my phone for talking, texting and handling my email accounts. So for me, this phone does what I need it to do. Every one is different and they have their own needs. So yeah, BlackBerry dropped the ball for people that wanted those apps and I can definitely agree that is the one thing that is lacking, native BlackBerry apps.

Rocking a Z30 on Verizon
    By your logic you should just get a flip phone. And why even check your email on a phone when obviously a computer keyboard is far superior to a blackberry keyboard.

Anyway, I returned my passport because the lack of apps. Some certain apps and widgets I'm reliant on (calendar, agenda apps) I use a lot of productivity apps.

09-14-15 11:43 AM
    a computer keyboard is far superior to a blackberry keyboard.

I type way faster on a BlackBerry keyboard than any PC keyboard. But that's just me and I'm not all that fast with a traditional keyboard.

09-14-15 11:55 AM
    I type way faster on a BlackBerry keyboard than any PC keyboard. But that's just me and I'm not all that fast with a traditional keyboard.

I type a good 82 words per minute but if I'm being honest, it's a pain in the *** to fire up the ol' computer just to shoot out a lengthy email.

ayngling likes this.
    09-14-15 11:58 AM
    I type a good 82 words per minute but if I'm being honest, it's a pain in the *** to fire up the ol' computer just to shoot out a lengthy email.

No doubt. That's why I always reach for my BlackBerry and I don't think I've ever actually sent an email on an iPhone. If I'm using a device that doesn't have a hardware keyboard I'll read the email then respond on a BlackBerry.

Posted via a touchscreen, excuse the typoos.
    muindor likes this.
    09-14-15 12:02 PM
    By your logic you should just get a flip phone. And why even check your email on a phone when obviously a computer keyboard is far superior to a blackberry keyboard.

Anyway, I returned my passport because the lack of apps. Some certain apps and widgets I'm reliant on (calendar, agenda apps) I use a lot of productivity apps.

I haven't checked my email on a computer in over 4 years. BlackBerry just works for my email needs.a flip phone is a no go, would take to long to type on. Like I said, BlackBerry works for ME. It might not work for YOU. Remember opinions are like assholes, everyone has one. What I deem sufficient you may deem insufficient. To each their own. Use what works best for you.

Rocking a Z30 on Verizon
    rayporsche likes this.
    09-14-15 12:02 PM
    Keyboards? I've moved to voice! Ha!

Only virtual keyboard that was able to get me off of BB hardware is Swype.
    astrodan13, MO3iusONE and ubizmo like this.
    09-14-15 12:16 PM
    Just like many of you I have installed Instagram, Pinterest, Flipboard, Zite and so many other apps from Snap and also Play Store thanks to Cobalt... however, performance of these apps on my OG Passport remain dismal as best and developers are not coming up with native versions of these apps. I am still on board with BlackBerry primarily for the pkb, hub, and secure email. I know that after10 good years, BlackBerry is starting to lose me and I seriously need Venice to rectify the situation... the recent acquisition of Good Technology is an excellent move and I still believe there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Posted via CB10
    The exit strategy appears to be coming in the form of the "Choose your own Adventure OS", where the user will be given the choice of BB10 or Android on first boot. BB10 fans (and yes, there are some out there) will be able to continue, but users like you who increasingly need Android can move on. As far as that goes, those BB10 users will always have the option to wipe the phone and start over in Androidland, so that future-proofs it a little.

My guess is that this will not be just a Venice thing, though that's likely where it will debut, with at least some BB10 phones having the upgrade later.
    09-14-15 12:29 PM
    I haven't checked my email on a computer in over 4 years. BlackBerry just works for my email needs.a flip phone is a no go, would take to long to type on. Like I said, BlackBerry works for ME. It might not work for YOU. Remember opinions are like assholes, everyone has one. What I deem sufficient you may deem insufficient. To each their own. Use what works best for you.

Rocking a Z30 on Verizon
    Yeah I get that. It's just funny how your criticizing some who prefer the convenience of apps. I'm not knocking bb10 and the lack of apps and certain features. For my day to day, android is a must, at least for me.

tufcustomer likes this.
    09-14-15 12:32 PM

Me too. My coworkers think it is really weird that I sit in front of my computer answering emails on my Q10. It's like they don't believe me when I say it is easier and quicker that way. Man I love the hub and the 4 row keyboard... they really don't know what they are missing.
    09-14-15 01:05 PM
    Why don't they just use some of the millions to produce the top 100 or so apps as native?
    09-14-15 01:29 PM
    Yeah I get that. It's just funny how your criticizing some who prefer the convenience of apps. I'm not knocking bb10 and the lack of apps and certain features. For my day to day, android is a must, at least for me.

Yeah, I got you. Maybe I'm being to harsh. If I have to go to the bank to deposit a check, then so be it. I get that others see it more as a convenience to just take a picture and it's deposited. I can do that on my mobile browser also, but never do. Preference for me maybe. And I do understand how certain apps are a must when you are running a business. If BlackBerry doesn't have them,then you have to go where you can get them. I have no problems with Android, I even own a Samsung Galaxy Tab s8.4. I think it's a great tablet. Even on that tablet, I downloaded 2 apps. Netflix was a must, and call of duty Zombies! Lol! I use the tablet more for watching movies mostly. And I know that the tablet can do so much more than just watching movies. Trust me, I've been tempted to get the S6 edge. It looks like a great phone. If BlackBerry does this slider right, I may pick one up even if it's just Android.

Rocking a Z30 on Verizon
    MO3iusONE and ayngling like this.
    09-14-15 01:32 PM
    It's not up to the users to promote the devices. If the company itself cannot spend money to make a name for itself why should it's users? We're not being paid to do so.
    Oh please ... this is the "_____ owes me" mentality talking. BB owes you nothing to go promote the product - and neither does any other company for its products.

Did I read that correctly? It's up to the consumer to promote failed products?
    Define "failed products" in an objective, unequivocable way. "Consumers don't buy them" isn't a sufficient description; see Betamax vs. VHS.

I think a few days ago there was a post from a forum user who converted about 5 people to BB10 and now he "regrets" it because people keep pestering him for missing apps and services.
    Yeah, and I've had this discussion before. The only apps I "need" that aren't in BBW are (1) my credit union, and (2) American Express - and I can live without both. It's not like there's no way to get any of those apps; people are just purely lazy (which explains why a number of apps exist in the first place).
    09-14-15 01:37 PM
    Hey Soulstream, did Ubuntu ever make their phone? I was actually very interested in that phone, but If I remember right, they pulled the plug on it awhile back. I use Ubuntu on my laptop and that phone really peaked my interest.

Rocking a Z30 on Verizon
    They pulled the plug on their kickstarter phone, the Edge, but there are other devices that are running it.

Devices | Ubuntu for phones | Ubuntu

I have it on a nexus 4.
    astrodan13 likes this.
    09-14-15 01:57 PM
    Oh please ... this is the "_____ owes me" mentality talking. BB owes you nothing to go promote the product - and neither does any other company for its products.

Define "failed products" in an objective, unequivocable way. "Consumers don't buy them" isn't a sufficient description; see Betamax vs. VHS.

Yeah, and I've had this discussion before. The only apps I "need" that aren't in BBW are (1) my credit union, and (2) American Express - and I can live without both. It's not like there's no way to get any of those apps; people are just purely lazy (which explains why a number of apps exist in the first place).
    Wait... you actually believe customers have a duty to promote stuff for a for profit entity?

BBRY doesn't owe me a thing. Of course not. The reverse is equally true.

Betamax IS/WAS a failed product. We can argue quality, but it, uh, failed. "Consumers not buying" ask but guarantees such, and is really all one needs.

Laziness? Tack on folks that use computer usage, motor vehicles and indoor plumbing. I mean, who but a laggard wouldn't prefer trudging to the communal outhouse at midnight?

The BB10 app environment is lacking. When even the CEO acknowledges this, it's time to politely concede that argument.
    kbz1960, john_v and tufcustomer like this.
    09-14-15 01:58 PM
    Why don't they just use some of the millions to produce the top 100 or so apps as native?
    Honestly, I think now it's a little too late. Too many people have left BlackBerry to go where they can get the apps they want and I don't think making apps now would bring them back. If they would have done that on day one of the launch, it probably would have had a significant effect.

Rocking a Z30 on Verizon
    09-14-15 01:59 PM
    They pulled the plug on their kickstarter phone, the Edge, but there are other devices that are running it.

Devices | Ubuntu for phones | Ubuntu

I have it on a nexus 4.
    Cool! Thanks for the link, I'll have to check it out.

Rocking a Z30 on Verizon
    09-14-15 02:00 PM
    It wouldn't be enough, trust me.

And it's not so much an issue of raw numbers; its more a problem of diversity of offering.

Someone who lives in Pawnee, Indiana would need different school district, hospital, library, banking, etc apps than someone in Beverly Hills, CA.

The sheer scope of providing these regional apps is beyond the resources of BlackBerry.

Plus, app ransom and all...
    09-14-15 02:06 PM
    Yes, secure your phone by Rooting it.
    Also install all your apps in the SD card.
    Finally, accept all the data collection warnings from the play store apps and you are good to go.

Please keep in mind that firewalls and ad blockers secure incoming incidents.
    No worries. In your Android phone everything comes from the inside out.
    I am not saying that OS10 is a lobster in terms of security but it keeps me wondering when I read statements like the above.

Posted via my STL100-2 | Waiting for the mighty Squircle to return
    On my Sony Xperia Z3 I blocked ALL connections and whitelisted some that I needed. Even the Play Store didn't work. So why is that not secure? I use an iptables root firewall, don't think that's available on BB10?

Posted via CB10
    09-14-15 02:08 PM
    If BBOS is on the table in any way, shape, or form BlackBerry might as well just close up shop entirely. BBOS is DEAD, gone, and as much of a relic as any of the other platforms I mentioned.
    Without weighing in on your underlying point, I'd just point out that as far as I know, there are a lot more BBOS devices in the wild than there are BB10 devices. By a pretty wide margin, I believe. Yes, BBOS is a dead platform. But, unfortunately, by most measures, so is BB10.
    09-14-15 02:09 PM
228 12345 ...