Had BlackBerry launched BB10 in 2010, I think things would have been different.

But launching in 2013 and trying to go against two established OS in Apple and Android, BlackBerry was just too late.

Via my Z30 on the Telus network
    I think things would have been different if John Chen didn't completely neglect development and developer relations over the last two years or so. If you saw Google or Apple put the brakes on, you'd see their platforms falter, too. Maybe not as much as BB10 because BB10 was a new platform just beginning to build its developer community, but you'd still see some struggle.

Posted via CB10
    lnichols and Allanon89 like this.
    09-14-15 04:10 AM
    Just like many of you I have installed Instagram, Pinterest, Flipboard, Zite and so many other apps from Snap and also Play Store thanks to Cobalt... however, performance of these apps on my OG Passport remain dismal as best and developers are not coming up with native versions of these apps. I am still on board with BlackBerry primarily for the pkb, hub, and secure email. I know that after10 good years, BlackBerry is starting to lose me and I seriously need Venice to rectify the situation... the recent acquisition of Good Technology is an excellent move and I still believe there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Posted via CB10
    I like Nemory's Insta10 better than the official Instagram app in some ways.

I'll just say that what is going on here is John Chen's decision to neglect the BB10 ecosystem. It got a surprisingly good start under Thor and then Chen just pulled the plug on everything. Any other platform would suffer from that kind of tactic, but a new platform with a developer community in its infancy is just going to really take a hit.

You are talking about competing in the current generation. BB10 was supposed to be a next generation OS with Blendy awesomeness and distributed computing. In other words, we weren't supposed to be wondering whether we could run an older platform's apps like Android apps when something most likely better would be possible and a reality with BlackBerry. We headed down that road, got decent sales for a new platform, but then everything tanked with Chen, his decision to ignore that enterprise purchasers have similar needs as consumers, and his inability to hold on to consumers. I hope BB10 lives. It is a better foundation for BlackBerry winning the future of mobile computing than Android, but it's also expensive and it seems most of the talent decided to leave after listening to the worst CEO in tech, John Chen.

On the half-billion dollar acquisition of Good's mid-tier EMM customers, we'll have to agree to disagree. That was a *truckload* of money. Would have been a decent deal if EMM will grow as much as it's hyped to and it was less expensive. Sheesh. Chen paid twice as much for Good, which was loosing money and had scant IP, as Mike L paid for QNX.

Posted via CB10
    09-14-15 04:22 AM
    I think the main problem with BlackBerry 10 is the apps. People are too lazy to go to the bank, read a hagstrom map to see where they are and where they're going, and can't post the food they're eating properly on the Web. Really people? Our society is becoming what is to me like the movie Wall-E. Over consumption and I need everything done through an app because it's too time consuming to do it otherwise. How many of you have actually taken the time to write a thank you note or a letter to your mom or dad? I think maybe 10% of you. Suck it up. If you "need " those apps to complete your life, go to Android and Ios. Maybe BlackBerry should make their slogan "keeping people human, because we don't have all those lazy apps." and thank you, I prefer my key wind,key set pocket watch over some electronic watch. True artesian craftsmanship there.

Rocking a Z30 on Verizon
    Funnily enough, you used an app to post this, no?
    09-14-15 04:49 AM
    More often than not, when I compare apps on my z30 and nexus 7(13) they run just as badly/well on either device. There are differences but it's just exchanging one disadvantage/strength for another. Has more to do with some apps just being badly written. Facebook is a great example. Sucks on both devices but in different ways.

Posted via CB10
    09-14-15 05:24 AM
    ''Blackberry OS, which saw a small increase in some regions, continued to decline in growth globally.''

http://www.idc.com/prodserv/smartpho...rket-share.jsp (Smartphone OS Market Share in Unit Shipments, 2015 Q2)

Attachment 371229
    http://www.idc.com/prodserv/smartpho...rket-share.png

Posted via CB10
    09-14-15 07:11 AM
    BlackBerry has to adapt or die; I'm with you OP. I can't wait to buy the slider if and when it's launched.
    09-14-15 07:48 AM
    Had BlackBerry launched BB10 in 2010, I think things would have been different.

But launching in 2013 and trying to go against two established OS in Apple and Android, BlackBerry was just too late.

Via my Z30 on the Telus network
    As I have said in several of my post, the bar has already been set and Android and IOS are the ones that any contender will be judged against and that's not going to change any time soon.

Microsoft will exist because they have the financial muscle and resources to do so. Blackberry going to an Android based OS might be just what the doctor ordered.

As I said before, I will be the first one in line to buy one as soon as Blackberry decides to get off their *** and get the slider to market, only time will tell.

Sent from my mobile device
    Blacklatino, ayngling and NG888 like this.
    09-14-15 08:01 AM
    Op right. I love bb10 I think it is an awesome OS. It truly is sad developers are not supporting it. No reason to think they will charge. Again hopefully this is a blackberry phone with stock android. Hopefully it has some blackberry flair to it. All in all this might be their last chance to really get their name back out their. Hopefully whatever they do with this (rumored) phone they do it very well. Market it please!

Posted via CB10
    09-14-15 08:09 AM
    Microsoft will exist because they have the financial muscle and resources to do so. Blackberry going to an Android based OS might be just what the doctor ordered.
    And Microsoft has the will to stay in the game. They recognize the huge shift toward mobile computing, and have no intention of being left out, even though they too were late to the party (In a way. Windows Mobile was not late, but also wasn't the kind of platform that could compete). If there's going to be a third major platform -- and I truly hope there will be -- it's going to be WP, not BB10. Microsoft has the pieces in place: a full ecosystem, with established services and a large user base on the non-mobile side; and a mobile platform coming that is designed to plug into all that seamlessly. Yes, they have an app gap too, but I think when WP10 is officially released (soon now), it's going to be attractive enough to yield a small bump in mobile users, which may attract more developers. That's their big gamble, and I think it may succeed. I hope it does, even though I'm not a WP user.

Microsoft is the only other company in the world with the resources to compete with Apple and Google. BlackBerry simply isn't in that league, so their survival depends on "partnering", as Chen has said. They've clearly chosen their partners: Samsung and Google.
    ayngling, rayporsche and dolco like this.
    09-14-15 08:22 AM
    Android-powered BlackBerry is just another Android device in the market... Open your eyes people, BB10 is what makes BlackBerry a BlackBerry.
    09-14-15 08:43 AM
    Android-powered BlackBerry is just another Android device in the market... Open your eyes people, BB10 is what makes BlackBerry a BlackBerry.
    If BlackBerry can bring enough of the BB10 experience to Android, that's going to have to do. Because while we have our eyes open, we can't help noticing that BB10 itself has no future. Speaking for myself only, I wish it were otherwise. I wish it had caught on, attracted developers, built a serious ecosystem, and earned a serious foothold in the market. But it didn't, and it won't.

I recognize that BlackBerry Android may not be distinctive enough to succeed either, in which case it's curtains for BlackBerry handsets. As Chen has said, "At some point, economics take over."
    kirson and BigAl_BB9900 like this.
    09-14-15 08:53 AM
    Well then BlackBerry will be dead in less than a year if they continue on this path.

It's too late to save BB10.
    09-14-15 08:53 AM
    Well then BlackBerry will be dead in less than a year if they continue on this path.
    Oh please ... Blackberry has been "dead in less than a year" for at least 2 years now. Will it continue to have a handset division forever and ever? Well,

As Chen has said, "At some point, economics take over."
    The real question: what's everyone doing to help promote BB handsets to get others to at least consider trying one out?
    Allanon89 likes this.
    09-14-15 09:08 AM
    Oh please ... Blackberry has been "dead in less than a year" for at least 2 years now. Will it continue to have a handset division forever and ever? Well,

The real question: what's everyone doing to help promote BB handsets to get others to at least consider trying one out?
    It's not up to the users to promote the devices. If the company itself cannot spend money to make a name for itself why should it's users? We're not being paid to do so.

Posted via CB10
    StephanieMaks likes this.
    09-14-15 09:11 AM
    True but the reality is BlackBerry 10 is not growing. BlackBerry OS phones sales and phones in use has shrunk every year for years. It's not going to turn around baring some incredible innovation we have not heard about yet.

As a CEO of a company that needs to be profitable, one needs to make tough decisions. Personally I'd rather use a BlackBerry version of Android with a cool slider keyboard than a crappy Samsung version of Android.

Posted via  BlackBerry Z30
    ayngling, BigAl_BB9900 and jakie55 like this.
    09-14-15 09:18 AM
    I'm really hoping this phone pushes BlackBerry back to black to maybe go back to bbos in the future.
    Yeah... and maybe Apple will go back to OS 9 and the PowerPC, Microsoft will go back to DOS, and Android will go back to Android 1.0. If BBOS is on the table in any way, shape, or form BlackBerry might as well just close up shop entirely. BBOS is DEAD, gone, and as much of a relic as any of the other platforms I mentioned.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    09-14-15 09:54 AM
    If handsets don't make money, just shut it down like you suggested you would Mr Chen. Please don't waste more money on an Android BlackBerry device.

Now if its for a specific client type like the SecuSmart Tablet....its all good then.
    lift likes this.
    09-14-15 10:02 AM

Did I read that correctly? It's up to the consumer to promote failed products?

kbz1960, john_v, Rello and 2 others like this.
    09-14-15 10:15 AM
    I think a few days ago there was a post from a forum user who converted about 5 people to BB10 and now he "regrets" it because people keep pestering him for missing apps and services. Say what you will, but for 95% of consumers suggesting a BB Android device would be better (and improve brand image) than a BB10 one.
    09-14-15 10:35 AM
    In this current market, it doesn't matter if you have a "top notch" browser...if you don't have apps, it will fail.

There's no two ways going about it.
    NG888 likes this.
    09-14-15 10:39 AM
    I think a few days ago there was a post from a forum user who converted about 5 people to BB10 and now he "regrets" it because people keep pestering him for missing apps and services. Say what you will, but for 95% of consumers suggesting a BB Android device would be better (and improve brand image) than a BB10 one.
    That is pretty much my experience. I have "converted" eight people (one Q10, six Classic and a Passport), and I constantly have to help them sideload apps etc, which I don't mind that much, but the worst part are the constant complaints about missing apps and buggy, laggy behaviour (of the sideloaded apps). Mostly small, local apps for banking, flight information, railroad tickets, etc, and the odd comment about snapchat/instagram and the like.

And off course, half the time I sideload some local app it only half works, like when one of them could buy a ticket with the app, but the app crashed when the conductor asked to see the ticket (the page for displaying didn't work).
    09-14-15 10:42 AM
    Damn dude, it's your mentality that's got bbry in the position that they are in. I want apps. Using the website is a last resort. Step into 2015 kid..

Posted via CB10
    Lol, one, I'm 48. I don't need GPS or BlackBerry maps or Google maps to get around. My point is the more you rely on an app or your phone, the more you don't do for yourself. When I go into restaurants, all the families around you aren't even talking with each other, their eyes are glued to the phones. Hence the Wall -e reference. Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but for me, I just don't need an app for everything. But that's just my opinion, and others have their own opinion.

Rocking a Z30 on Verizon
    rthonpm, akavbb, lift and 2 others like this.
    09-14-15 10:45 AM
    Funnily enough, you used an app to post this, no?
    Lmao! Yes I did. But, I do also use the mobile site. Just more functionality on the mobile site compared to the app. But yeah, ya got me!

Rocking a Z30 on Verizon
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    09-14-15 10:50 AM
    Lol, one, I'm 48. I don't need GPS or BlackBerry maps or Google maps to get around. My point is the more you rely on an app or your phone, the more you don't do for yourself. When I go into restaurants, all the families around you aren't even talking with each other, their eyes are glued to the phones. Hence the Wall -e reference. Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but for me, I just don't need an app for everything. But that's just my opinion, and others have their own opinion.

Rocking a Z30 on Verizon
    The problem is choice. Android and iOS users don't really use all the apps, but everyone's needs are different. When the need arises for a certain app, they know it's there and it fully works. And be sure that BB had all the apps, in that restaurant there would still be people glued to their BB phones.

Some people here think otherwise, but let's be clear: LACK OF APPS IS NOT AN ADVANTAGE. I cringe a little when I see posts like: "I am so productive on my BB because I have no apps to distract me". It is your own lack of self-control if apps become distractions.
    09-14-15 10:52 AM
    The problem is choice. Android and iOS users don't really use all the apps, but everyone's needs are different. When the need arises for a certain app, they know it's there and it fully works. And be sure that BB had all the apps, in that restaurant there would still be people glued to their BB phones.

Some people here think otherwise, but let's be clear: LACK OF APPS IS NOT AN ADVANTAGE. I cringe a little when I see posts like: "I am so productive on my BB because I have no apps to distract me". It is your own lack of self-control if apps become distractions.
    I got what you are saying. For me, I personally don't need all of those apps. I mainly use my phone for talking, texting and handling my email accounts. So for me, this phone does what I need it to do. Every one is different and they have their own needs. So yeah, BlackBerry dropped the ball for people that wanted those apps and I can definitely agree that is the one thing that is lacking, native BlackBerry apps.

Rocking a Z30 on Verizon
    09-14-15 11:02 AM
228 1234 ...