Just like many of you I have installed Instagram, Pinterest, Flipboard, Zite and so many other apps from Snap and also Play Store thanks to Cobalt... however, performance of these apps on my OG Passport remain dismal as best and developers are not coming up with native versions of these apps. I am still on board with BlackBerry primarily for the pkb, hub, and secure email. I know that after10 good years, BlackBerry is starting to lose me and I seriously need Venice to rectify the situation... the recent acquisition of Good Technology is an excellent move and I still believe there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Posted via CB10
    09-13-15 01:50 PM
    Had BlackBerry launched BB10 in 2010, I think things would have been different.

But launching in 2013 and trying to go against two established OS in Apple and Android, BlackBerry was just too late.

Via my Z30 on the Telus network
    09-13-15 02:32 PM
    I'll just copy what I wrote in another thread (it was that or write the same thing again):

I love the BlackBerry 10 OS, but I will be very happy if BlackBerry starts making android phones.

The reason is that people aren't either business people or consumers. Some people are just consumers, but all business people (except the busiest, like Obama), are also consumers. They lie in bed and play Candycrush Saga, keep up to date with their children using snapchat, etc. Almost everyone (except us on this forum) need a good app selection.

This is why you see pretty much everyone with a BlackBerry also carrying an iPhone... and eventually they end up with only an iPhone.

I think what John Chen is doing is brilliant:

1) Secure Android as much as possible, to compete with iOS in the business world (and partner with Google to promote BlackBerry Android as secure, right now iOS is way ahead). Use BES12 as a key component of the securing element, to tie secure android to BlackBerry.

2) Port over all the productivity benefits of BlackBerry 10 to Android (hub, unified calendar, unified contacts, the virtual keyboard), to make the most productive, no-frills android out there.

3) Build premium hardware in the same price range as iPhones and Samsung S6 edge, so business people can flaunt a premium device (status symbol) but be able to say "oh, you have an iPhone, don't you like being productive? My BlackBerry is a tool in the daytime and a toy in the evening. Oh, and our appstore is bigger than yours."

4) Use the BlackBerry brand for "serious work" and security while it still has value (heads of state use BlackBerry, the next generation probably won't, they have never used it and do not know what they are missing). By porting the productivity suite now, professionals might feel tempted to use the BlackBerry flavor of Android more than Samsung's, LG's or Sony's, etc. And, as there are a lot of identity in which phone we choose, they might also prefer the BlackBerry hardware. Even if they use the productivity suite on, say, a Samsung device, they will be more prone to considering BlackBerry hardware for their next phone.

An android slider that keeps us as productive as BlackBerry 10 would probably make most of us happy, even if we'd rather force developers to make BlackBerry World as big as Google Play.

BlackBerry can keep selling BlackBerry 10 to Obama, Hillary, David Cameron, Stephen Harper, Angela Merkel, Helle Thorning-Schmidt and the people on this forum, who need/want absolute security more than apps, but most people do not fall in that category. They need a secure system (but probably no more than Android for Work + BES12 can offer), to be productive at work (BlackBerry productivity suite), and some leisure apps in the evening.

I like the concept of a slider. It is hopefully enough of a flagship slab phone to attract Android users (with the allure of BlackBerry security and productivity), and who knows, they might use the keyboard at some point and fall in love with it like we have. Even if they don't, it might be gimmicky enough to get journalists to write about it.

I hope the next phone will be a (probably full-touch) BlackBerry built Google Nexus phone that Google will promote heavily to promote Android for Work (with Android M). It will have to be stock Android, but at least it gets the word out and people might download the productivity suite if they like the hardware.
    09-13-15 03:21 PM
    Just like many of you I have installed Instagram, Pinterest, Flipboard, Zite and so many other apps from Snap and also Play Store thanks to Cobalt... however, performance of these apps on my OG Passport remain dismal as best and developers are not coming up with native versions of these apps. I am still on board with BlackBerry primarily for the pkb, hub, and secure email. I know that after10 good years, BlackBerry is starting to lose me and I seriously need Venice to rectify the situation... the recent acquisition of Good Technology is an excellent move and I still believe there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Posted via CB10
    Android apps run extremely well on my passport. As good as any quad core android phone.

The only difference is if the app is poorly optimized. My backup android phone (Alcatel onetouch idol x) can barely run apps without lag.

Now if you use these apps extensively I really don't understand why you would go with a BlackBerry 10 phone. You must chose your priority.

The BlackBerry android phone, if it comes, will just be another android phone. It will have a BlackBerry skin on it and that's it. There's no reason for you to think it would be any better or worse than other android phones.

We're all going to buy one though, and hopefully BlackBerry can pull off something half as decent as BlackBerry 10
    09-13-15 03:39 PM
    90% of you guys who use BlackBerry for "security" don't really know what security means
    09-13-15 06:10 PM
    90% of you guys who use BlackBerry for "security" don't really know what security means
    That might actually be true for me.
    What does security mean?
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    09-13-15 06:30 PM
    BB10 sure as hell ain't friendly to business & leisure travelers. Non-existent native airline apps & a native Map that isn't even competitive with Google Maps in terms of the info it shows and how it shows it.
    09-13-15 06:56 PM
    BB10 sure as hell ain't friendly to business & leisure travelers. Non-existent native airline apps & a native Map that isn't even competitive with Google Maps in terms of the info it shows and how it shows it.
    If in driving and need GPS, I use the BlackBerry map, but if I need directions for transit/walking, I use Google Maps which works well on BB10.

Posted via CB10
    09-13-15 07:13 PM
    Careful, you'll wake the Loyalists with that kind of talk.
    09-13-15 09:47 PM
    I'm all for an Android version. People want apps, and BB10 doesn't have them. Making a phone that appeals to the masses is key.

But I also want a BB10 version. I have fallen in love with this OS, and the Android versions of Netflix, Waze, GroupMe, and Top Hat all work fine on my Q10. I've said this in another thread: Chen has listened to BlackBerry loyalists before by giving us the BlackBerry Classic. I'm just hoping he does the same with the slider and a BlackBerry 10 version is released as well.
    ayngling and wincyUt like this.
    09-13-15 10:28 PM
    I have been a loyal BlackBerry user for 11 years. I'm tired of having to borrow my wife's iphone whenever I want to deposit a cheque on our banking app, control our Denon sound system throughout the house.... just to mention 2 of many deficiencies that have left me on the verge of giving up on BlackBerry. That being said, there are so many things I love about my Q10, so I'm so optimistic about the new slider being the best of both worlds. I'm sure it won't be without glitches in the beginning, (and forever), but I'm also confident that this is a step forward for BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    wincyUt and MO3iusONE like this.
    09-13-15 10:30 PM
    I use exactly one android app. Netflix. It works as it should. I'm not a world traveler but BlackBerry maps got me from NY to Virginia without a hitch. Most of my banking and paying bills is done through the mobile browser ,works flawlessly. Same thing with Ebay. I don't "need" an app for those. Maybe I'm not seeing what others are seeing as deficiencies. For me, the hub is non negotiable. I have too many email accounts and twitter and Facebook, etc. The hub is my electronic savior lol. If BlackBerry doesn't do what you need it to do, then by all means, go to the OS that suits you. I do have a Samsung Galaxy Tab s8.4 and I've played with many Android phones. I still stay with BlackBerry because it works for me. If it doesn't suit your needs, then try elsewhere. Maybe the new slider will suit you.

Rocking a Z30 on Verizon
    tanzarian, delgadom, lift and 5 others like this.
    09-13-15 10:32 PM
    I think the main problem with BlackBerry 10 is the apps. People are too lazy to go to the bank, read a hagstrom map to see where they are and where they're going, and can't post the food they're eating properly on the Web. Really people? Our society is becoming what is to me like the movie Wall-E. Over consumption and I need everything done through an app because it's too time consuming to do it otherwise. How many of you have actually taken the time to write a thank you note or a letter to your mom or dad? I think maybe 10% of you. Suck it up. If you "need " those apps to complete your life, go to Android and Ios. Maybe BlackBerry should make their slogan "keeping people human, because we don't have all those lazy apps." and thank you, I prefer my key wind,key set pocket watch over some electronic watch. True artesian craftsmanship there.

Rocking a Z30 on Verizon
    09-13-15 11:13 PM
    I think the main problem with BlackBerry 10 is the apps. People are too lazy to go to the bank, read a hagstrom map to see where they are and where they're going, and can't post the food they're eating properly on the Web. Really people? Our society is becoming what is to me like the movie Wall-E. (cut)

Rocking a Z30 on Verizon
    The social commentary in Wall-E is not that far from reality. Looks like at least part of the world is going in that direction.

Posted via CB10 from Passport
    mkelley65 and DarkJoker33 like this.
    09-13-15 11:34 PM
    I think the main problem with BlackBerry 10 is the apps. People are too lazy to go to the bank, read a hagstrom map to see where they are and where they're going, and can't post the food they're eating properly on the Web. Really people? Our society is becoming what is to me like the movie Wall-E. Over consumption and I need everything done through an app because it's too time consuming to do it otherwise. How many of you have actually taken the time to write a thank you note or a letter to your mom or dad? I think maybe 10% of you. Suck it up. If you "need " those apps to complete your life, go to Android and Ios. Maybe BlackBerry should make their slogan "keeping people human, because we don't have all those lazy apps." and thank you, I prefer my key wind,key set pocket watch over some electronic watch. True artesian craftsmanship there.

Rocking a Z30 on Verizon
    Lol and this is why Blackberry is in the position it is in....
    09-13-15 11:41 PM

Rocking a Z30 on Verizon
    Like you said, using hub to manage your mails is efficient.
    Going to a bank to make a small transfer is not efficient ;( neither is patching my apps through cobalt's workarounds
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    09-13-15 11:43 PM
    What about the rest 10%?
    Do we deserve to have a decent OS like OS10?

Posted via my STL100-2 | Waiting for the mighty Squircle to return
    rthonpm and BigAl_BB9900 like this.
    09-14-15 01:07 AM
    That's what you may believe, but I wouldn't make statements like that unless you want to get seriously flamed. Go back to playing Minecraft or something and don't worry about the rest of us.
    09-14-15 01:13 AM
    That might actually be true for me.
    What does security mean?
    The security aspect is more meant for business consumers, not really general consumers. It makes sure there are less loopholes and ins and outs in getting sensitive data. When it comes to email, it won't matter what phone you use because it's going through some server, unless it's a secured server it'll make no difference, and I doubt any of you guys would actually pay for that. Ya'll use BlackBerry phones for features same goes for windows phone, it makes the experience unique, not features you don't see like end to end encryption. Me sure I'd love and prefer a bb10 version, but I'm really hoping this phone pushes BlackBerry back to black to maybe go back to bbos in the future.
    09-14-15 01:18 AM
    That's what you may believe, but I wouldn't make statements like that unless you want to get seriously flamed. Go back to playing Minecraft or something and don't worry about the rest of us.
    I have to agree unfortunately. A lot of people here have no idea what the difference is between security and privacy, also many of them think a blackberry will magically protect their calls, sms and data, yet it can't even possibly do that

Posted via CB10
    app_Developer likes this.
    09-14-15 01:19 AM
    For me "security" means blocking all out with a firewall and "privacy" means installing an ad blocker. I can do that with a rooted Android phone but can't do that on a "secure" BlackBerry. So which OS is possibly more "secure"?

Posted via CB10
    09-14-15 02:36 AM
    For me "security" means blocking all out with a firewall and "privacy" means installing an ad blocker. I can do that with a rooted Android phone but can't do that on a "secure" BlackBerry. So which OS is possibly more "secure"?

Posted via CB10
    Yes, secure your phone by Rooting it.
    Also install all your apps in the SD card.
    Finally, accept all the data collection warnings from the play store apps and you are good to go.

Please keep in mind that firewalls and ad blockers secure incoming incidents.
    No worries. In your Android phone everything comes from the inside out.
    I am not saying that OS10 is a lobster in terms of security but it keeps me wondering when I read statements like the above.

Posted via my STL100-2 | Waiting for the mighty Squircle to return
    lift likes this.
    09-14-15 02:44 AM
    Double post
    09-14-15 02:44 AM

Rocking a Z30 on Verizon
    Damn dude, it's your mentality that's got bbry in the position that they are in. I want apps. Using the website is a last resort. Step into 2015 kid..

Posted via CB10
    MO3iusONE likes this.
    09-14-15 02:49 AM
    XPrivacy for Android lets you control fine-grained permissions per app, right down to individual sensor and user ID data. It also lets you spoof or limit data for apps that need certain permissions to run, like showing only certain contacts in WhatsApp.

No other platform has something similar; it's possible to lock down your phone tight and only let certain apps communicate with the outside world. Couple that with a good firewall GUI and you've got something a lot more secure than a BB10 device. Rooting isn't a dirty word
    09-14-15 04:05 AM
228 123 ...