Does anyone have the "ORBOT" app on their PRIV?

Please, could you share your experience with it?

Thanks and kind regards.
    09-12-18 01:13 PM
    Does anyone have the "ORBOT" app on their PRIV?

Please, could you share your experience with it?

Thanks and kind regards.
    Yes, works great.

I combine it with Netguard firewall.
    https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...orbot-1134676/
    09-12-18 06:02 PM
    Yes, works great.

I combine it with Netguard firewall.
    https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...orbot-1134676/
    Thanks, which browser do you use with it?
    09-12-18 06:33 PM
    @Priv4U

I use Firefox. Orfox is a few versions behind at the moment and seems to be quite laggy recently.
    09-12-18 10:28 PM
    @Priv4U

I use Firefox. Orfox is a few versions behind at the moment and seems to be quite laggy recently.
    Thanks again. I've noticed that there is a "Tor Browser” (Alpha). It seems to have some good reviews although it is still an Alpha version. Any thoughts?

Also, do you have the "Isolate Destination Addresses" box tick in the "Settings" of Orbot?
    09-12-18 10:54 PM
    @Priv4U

Just checked out Tor Browser. That's great that they are creating an official android version of the desktop tor browser. This should come with more regular updates. Looks like they are EOL'ing Orfox.

At the moment, Tor Browser still needs Orbot to work, but they say future versions will not need it.

For the time being, I still prefer standard firefox because it appears that the alpha version of Tor Browser doesn't allow for extensions to be installed (comes up with a "Disabled by Administrator" message).

Also, because this app communicates directly through Orbot, and because Orbot needs to be omitted from Netguard traffic monitoring to prevent a feedback loop, It isn't possible to monitor the web connections being made by Tor Browser (or Orfox for that matter).

But with Firefox, this is possible and you can still block individual web address that the tracking extensions miss.

That said... Tor Browser looks really promising. And they must have changed the way it gets finger printed because even though its on Tor, it can connect to some sites that normally block Orfox/Firefox like Crackberry.

Hopefully soon it will permit extensions so we can block trackers and ads.

As for the "isolate desitnation addresses" option. I suggest testing it out to see if here is a big hit in battery life or speed for how you use Tor.

For me, I haven't noticed any negatives yet.
    Last edited by chetmanley; 09-13-18 at 10:42 AM.
    09-13-18 10:24 AM
    @Priv4U

Just checked out Tor Browser. That's great that they are creating an official android version of the desktop tor browser. This should come with more regular updates. Looks like they are EOL'ing Orfox.

At the moment, Tor Browser still needs Orbot to work, but they say future versions will not need it.

For the time being, I still prefer standard firefox because it appears that the alpha version of Tor Browser doesn't allow for extensions to be installed (comes up with a "Disabled by Administrator" message).

Also, because this app communicates directly through Orbot, and because Orbot needs to be omitted from Netguard traffic monitoring to prevent a feedback loop, It isn't possible to monitor the web connections being made by Tor Browser (or Orfox for that matter).

But with Firefox, this is possible and you can still block individual web address that the tracking extensions miss.

That said... Tor Browser looks really promising. And they must have changed the way it gets finger printed because even though its on Tor, it can connect to some sites that normally block Orfox/Firefox like Crackberry.

Hopefully soon it will permit extensions so we can block trackers and ads.

As for the "isolate desitnation addresses" option. I suggest testing it out to see if here is a big hit in battery life or speed for how you use Tor.

For me, I haven't noticed any negatives yet.
    Thank you very kindly for your reply. Since communicating with you I've been trying out the "Duck Duck" browser. It is very simple and so far I have nothing negative to feed back. It is fast and I like the feature that shows which trackers are blocked.

On "Isolate Destination Addresses" is the box ticked on your PRIV?
    09-13-18 11:03 AM
    Thank you very kindly for your reply. Since communicating with you I've been trying out the "Duck Duck" browser. It is very simple and so far I have nothing negative to feed back. It is fast and I like the feature that shows which trackers are blocked.

On "Isolate Destination Addresses" is the box ticked on your PRIV?
    I've been testing that setting to see how it affects different websites.

Regarding Tor Browser. I found the setting in about:config that is preventing the user from installing extensions.

xpinstall.enabled = false by default which means extension installs are blocked.

Change this to true.
    09-15-18 09:16 AM
    I've been testing that setting to see how it affects different websites.

Regarding Tor Browser. I found the setting in about:config that is preventing the user from installing extensions.

xpinstall.enabled = false by default which means extension installs are blocked.

Change this to true.
    Thank you kindly for your update.

I'm now satisfied with the "DuckDuckGo" browser. In my opinion it is very fast and stable. Further more it is easy to use, nothing to setup and it allows me to see all the trackers from any of the sites I browse. One click and it erases all my browsing data.

I prefer it much better over the "Firefox". I think Firefox may be pre-installed on the BlackBerry Key2?

I'm no longer using the pre-installed "Chrome" browser. I think this "Google" browser is too intrusive and I'm suspicious of private information Google stealthily exploit from their apps?

You may want to try the "DuckDuckGo" ?

On the "Isolate Destination Addresses" in the settings of "ORBOT" I've the box ticked. So far I'm yet to experience a problem.

Do please let me know what your test results are with this setting in "ORBOT" ?

KIND regards.
    09-15-18 10:33 AM
    @Priv4U

I like DuckDuckGo's (DDG) search engine and the fact they also offer it with an onion address.

So I tried their browser.

While I like it's simplicity and clean design and that it doesn't contain any tracking/analytical software itself, I prefer Firefox and Tor Browser (which is based on Firefox) for the following reasons:

1) Possible to minimize Youtube and play videos in the background with Firefox. I couldn't get this to work with DDG.

2) DDG detects many trackers (but not all). It also doesn't block Youtube ads.

3) DDG doesn't support extensions like Privacy Badger for example.

Here are some stats regarding the number of trackers detected and blocked by DDG and FF using ad and tracker blocking extensions (Privacy Badger and Ublock origin). I chose three popular websites which contain a lot of trackers.

The Chive:

DDG: 17 Tracking Networks Blocked
    Number of actual connections made: 19

FF w Privacy Badger/uBlock origin: 32+ 3rd party connections blocked
    Number of actual connections made: 4

CNN:

DDG: 15 Blocked
    Number of actual connections made: 32

FF: 41 from uBlock and 29 from Privacy Badger blocked
    Number of actual connections made: 3

Youtube:

DDG: 0 Blocked
    Number of actual connections made: 21 +

FF: 15 Blocked (Over time, this can reach 1000+ individual connection attempts blocked)
    Number of actual connections made: 12 +

While there are a number of great browsers out there that contain built in anti-tracking features, I've yet to find one that exceeds the capability of FF with extensions.

I agree with your assessment of Chrome - its a data mining machine.

Cheers
    09-15-18 04:43 PM
    @Priv4U

I like DuckDuckGo's (DDG) search engine and the fact they also offer it with an onion address.

So I tried their browser.

While I like it's simplicity and clean design and that it doesn't contain any tracking/analytical software itself, I prefer Firefox and Tor Browser (which is based on Firefox) for the following reasons:

1) Possible to minimize Youtube and play videos in the background with Firefox. I couldn't get this to work with DDG.

2) DDG detects many trackers (but not all). It also doesn't block Youtube ads.

3) DDG doesn't support extensions like Privacy Badger for example.

Here are some stats regarding the number of trackers detected and blocked by DDG and FF using ad and tracker blocking extensions (Privacy Badger and Ublock origin). I chose three popular websites which contain a lot of trackers.

The Chive:

DDG: 17 Tracking Networks Blocked
    Number of actual connections made: 19

FF w Privacy Badger/uBlock origin: 32+ 3rd party connections blocked
    Number of actual connections made: 4

CNN:

DDG: 15 Blocked
    Number of actual connections made: 32

FF: 41 from uBlock and 29 from Privacy Badger blocked
    Number of actual connections made: 3

Youtube:

DDG: 0 Blocked
    Number of actual connections made: 21 +

FF: 15 Blocked (Over time, this can reach 1000+ individual connection attempts blocked)
    Number of actual connections made: 12 +

While there are a number of great browsers out there that contain built in anti-tracking features, I've yet to find one that exceeds the capability of FF with extensions.

I agree with your assessment of Chrome - its a data mining machine.

Cheers
    Thanks for your feedback and findings.

I do use Firefox with DuckDuckGo search on my computer.

However, I've not tried Firefox on my PRIV. I did tried Firefox Focus, but delete it because too many sites were being blocked or requiring to pass the Captive tests and the delete bin on the bottom right hand corner for me is in an inconvenient spot. I always seem to be accidently touching it and my entire screen would be cleared.

Finally I settled for the DuckDuckGo browser. You and 100 millions users cannot be wrong. It may be far from prefect and may not stop all the nuisance advs and intrusion, it's the simplicity that won me over. Hopefully it is a better substitute for the Chrome?

I feel extremely disappointed that I have to opt for a substitute for Chrome. When I bought my PRIV I truly had believed (BlackBerry) I had the most secure phone on the planet.

I'm becoming more and more disillusioned and think it may just be better to resort back to my very, very old phone that only does calls and texts.

How sad the Internet has become!

Kind regards.
    09-15-18 08:54 PM
    Thanks for your feedback and findings.

I do use Firefox with DuckDuckGo search on my computer.

However, I've not tried Firefox on my PRIV. I did tried Firefox Focus, but delete it because too many sites were being blocked or requiring to pass the Captive tests and the delete bin on the bottom right hand corner for me is in an inconvenient spot. I always seem to be accidently touching it and my entire screen would be cleared.

Finally I settled for the DuckDuckGo browser. You and 100 millions users cannot be wrong. It may be far from prefect and may not stop all the nuisance advs and intrusion, it's the simplicity that won me over. Hopefully it is a better substitute for the Chrome?

I feel extremely disappointed that I have to opt for a substitute for Chrome. When I bought my PRIV I truly had believed (BlackBerry) I had the most secure phone on the planet.

I'm becoming more and more disillusioned and think it may just be better to resort back to my very, very old phone that only does calls and texts.

How sad the Internet has become!

Kind regards.
    I should have written for the Firefox, you and 100 millions users cannot be wrong.
    09-15-18 08:56 PM

Keep in mind, there is a difference between security and privacy, although they work hand in hand.

Blackberry Android firmware is fundamentally secure - it hasn't been rooted and if you keep up with Celebrite's public capabilities, reading them I haven't found it listed as something they can crack yet.

Unfortunately, the software people install is not private (in addition to the google software pre-loaded on the device). BB could mitigate this if they could be bothered by implementing their own firewall into something like DTEK.
    09-16-18 12:23 PM
    U should be using vanced youtube. No ads and crap. This is how the youtube app should be.

https://vanced.azurewebsites.net

In regards to DDG. My only complaint has been with the bookmarks. Can't move em or export / import from other browsers yet. But aside from that good stuff
    09-19-18 12:49 AM