I understand that I may become a punching bag but, here goes. My wife wants the Passport but also wants Android OS (not side loaded and not Amazon store). Why not....why not offer all BlackBerry phones in with the Android OS? I showed her the Priv but she does not like the keyboard . She really, really needs a qwerty (Classic or Passport). Why not put out the BlackBerry lineup with both OS options?

Your Welcome
    03-15-16 10:49 PM
    The keyboard on the Priv takes a bit of time but once your master it, it's amazing in my opinion.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    so crow likes this.
    03-15-16 10:51 PM
    Priv does have a qwerty keyboard.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on my Priv
    03-15-16 10:51 PM
    Priv does have a qwerty keyboard.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on my Priv
    Oh yes was talking about the pkb myself also.

03-15-16 10:56 PM
    I agree it took me awhile to get used to my keyboard on the priv but I love using it. I should eventually get crackberry in it but this gives me an excuse to use the 30

Posted via CB10
    03-15-16 10:57 PM
    Priv keyboard is not going to fly with her. She likes the Passport. I am all in on the BB10 OS but she just wants the qwerty that suits her typing style (Passport). Is Passport Android version that bad?

Your Welcome
    03-15-16 11:06 PM
    Priv keyboard is not going to fly with her. She likes the Passport. I am all in on the BB10 OS but she just wants the qwerty that suits her typing style (Passport). Is Passport Android version that bad?

Your Welcome
    Not bad at all but not sure if it will happen. I also came from the passport to the Priv and didn't think it would work but after a while and making sure I use the keyboard I would argue the I actually type faster and more accurate on the Priv.

03-15-16 11:11 PM
    Anything is possible but BB has to determine that the expense of such a retrofit/design/manufacture would work. They don't have tons of money to waste on merely possible.
    03-15-16 11:43 PM

Your Welcome
    It's not bad, and IMHO it wouldn't be even too difficult to develop an Android based firmware for the Passport. But it won't happen anyways. BlackBerry has limited resources and (extremely?) limited workforce left for devices and OS development, it's not only resources to develop the firmware, but also maintaining it. You need to fix bugs, apply (security) updates, keep updating the whole thing and make sure it runs flawlessly on the device. Even some heavyweights like Samsung, HTC or Sony can't (or don't want to) handle this, they obviously aren't even able to push the important monthly security update to even their most recent flagships.

I have used every single QWERTY BB10 device minus the Q5 (which I at least tried a few times in a store) and have switched from an Passport SE straight to the Priv. I was shocked the keyboard was quite smaller than I expected and the first days were quite rough, but I managed it in the end. Sure the keyboard isn't really up to high BBRY standards, but it is ok and I even kind of like it now. You should at give it a better chance than trying it in a store for a couple of minutes.
    03-16-16 04:59 AM
    I think you are asking why BlackBerry does not offer all BB10 phones with both OS options, is that correct?

If so, the answer is quite simple. It is a lot more difficult to put an operating system on a device than you may think, this is no piece of software like MS office that can be installed on every windows computer, an operating system needs to have specific drivers for all hardware parts, needs to handle the different instruction sets of the different processors, utilize the different screen resolutions and so on!

So it would be a huge amount of work which most certainly wouldn't pay off. And most apps I imagine would not support 1:1 properly as there are no Android phones with the screen aspect ratio.
    FF22 likes this.
    03-16-16 06:14 AM