07-29-16 12:46 AM
78 123 ...
tools
    I have the z30 now, though my contract will end in November. So I would be the option of getting a new phone. I'm thinking to give the priv a try (hoping that telus won't remove it until then). What drawn me to it was:

1) keyboard. I hate touch screens.
    2) Android. Meaning I get the play store and it's variety of apps unlike bb app world. I'll miss bb 10's intuitive os but I need a decent app store

So I'm wondering, how are you guys liking it? What's the bb hub on Android like? What about the camera? Etc?

Posted via CB10
    07-18-16 12:52 PM
    I spent some time with the Priv and really liked a few things about it.

PKB isn't the best in the world, but it's quite good.
    Screen is gorgeous. I think the phone is quite a looker in my opinion.
    Good specs, nice and speedy.
    Security updates and hardened kernel are appealing.

And a few things I didn't like so much..
    Overall quality of the hardware is marred by a few issues that are well known by this point - clicking screen, overheating. Your mileage may vary.
    Honestly, what I was most disappointed in had nothing to do with the phone, but with Verizon. No marshmallow yet really sucks. Supposed to fix some of the issues I mentioned, but I'll never know thanks to the ****ty V.
    Overall though, I give the Priv a solid thumbs up.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    07-18-16 01:02 PM
    I'm on the fence with it, the build quality isn't up to BB standards in my opinion. The hub is not as good as BB10 , I don't use the camera much so can't really comment on it. I didn't like the keyboard coming from the passport SE , yes apps galore if you use them and they run good, but it's a totally different type of phone and I can't get use to it.
    07-18-16 01:07 PM
    What was it about the hub you didn't like?

Posted via CB10
    07-18-16 01:40 PM
    I had reservations, but overall it's the best experience had between Bb10 and android.

raremage likes this.
    07-18-16 01:41 PM
    I don't miss my classic at all...

07-18-16 01:42 PM
    What was it about the hub you didn't like?

Posted via CB10
    It's hard to explain, but if you get a chance to try one out you should.
    Coming from BB10 hub which nothing compares to it just isn't as good.
    07-18-16 01:48 PM
    I went from a Z30 to the Priv.

It's slightly bigger but not in a way that was odd after using the Z30 for years. I do prefer the VKB for now so found it works pretty much the same as on the Z30. I found the PKB a little constrained because the keys are a little smaller than the VKB. This may also be due to having used the Z30 for a long time so I'm just more used to the VKB.

Camera is definately better than the Z30. I have not specifically tested it myself but the difference in lower light is dramatic from what I've seen.

The Hub is pretty good considering that there are limitations with the APIs available and that they are still working on additional features. It doesn't integrate SMS fully and Gmail-based accounts go to the Gmail app (at least I haven't tried switching it). Other apps may throw notifications into the Hub as well but generally they end up launching their own app when you open it. There's only so much that can be done about that of course.

I have noted little clicks in the hardware when using it. I only see heating when it gets pushed hard on doing big updates.
    07-18-16 01:56 PM
    I used the Priv for a week, after a month or so from the launch, I honestly never saw myself using the keyboard, and sometimes forgot that it was even there.
    IndianTiwari likes this.
    07-18-16 02:30 PM
    Have the Priv since December and overall I am happy with it.

My previous phone was the passport so I was a bit skeptical how efficient would be the PKB of the Priv, but surprisingly is very good and I can write as fast as on my passport.

Android is different but can do all things like BlackBerry 10 , just needed about 10 days to get familiar with it.

The hub is not the same but it does the work , the main thing that I miss is the intergration of the FB messenger.

The only negative for me is the weak battery life. It's about 25 % less than the one of the passport.

Posted via my BlackBerry Priv
    07-18-16 03:35 PM
    The hub is not the same but it does the work , the main thing that I miss is the intergration of the FB messenger.
    ...I want a Priv and am aware of this limitation. It's funny how much 'we' hated the BB10 Facebook app and all of its shortcomings and yet it had what is probably the most useful functionality you could want from a Facebook app. At least for some.

One other thing that's preventing me from taking the plunge is the lack of a native file manager. I know there are 3rd party apps available for this but I'm not into going that route. If BlackBerry wants me to go Android with them, I need to know that they are all in before I follow. File manager with built in VPN and some sort of 'Blend' desktop software to really bring the whole package.

...I know, I'm needy. But that's why I'm still on BB10.
    eggman1987 and skinnymike1 like this.
    07-18-16 04:28 PM
    Hub is horrible. It's 2 out of 5. It's nothing close to BlackBerry 10 . You better of using the stock notification tray which comes on board,

How ever I'm a blackberry faithful so I still use my hub and it does what it says it does.

I find the camera really good . Best one blackberry has ever made in fact.

The front camera is BS but then again I don't take selfies so I'm cool with it.

I love the blackberry launcher. It's got this cool swipe over the icon to display it's widget and it's pretty stock android apart from that and the productivity tab you swipe on the curved edges which I use a lot.

It's a really nice phone.

I was stuck between this and the mate 8 from huwawei. But I couldn't resist this once I slid up the PKB.

I hope you take the priv. You don't regret it .
    07-18-16 04:47 PM
    I've been using a Priv for about a week and I like it. The missing features of the hub are, with the exception of Pinch to Unread, not things I miss much. I like the physical keyboard and even if you only use it for shortcuts and as a track pad it is worth it, IMHO.

Battery life doesn't match Passport but does seem to be good for an Android phone.

Sound quality is good. Reception is very good.

The screen click is function of the slider. I guess the rails or whatever allows it to slide has a very tiny bit of play, so as you type it can click. I'd rather it didn't do that, but it doesn't bother me.

Screen is gorgeous but nowhere near as bright as a Note 5.

If you can get one of the 299 ones like I did, this is a no brainer. It has many, many, thoughtful BlackBerry touches in the software that make it easier to use and, like on BlackBerry 10, take some time to discover. Of course, the reviews miss almost all of the thoughtful features.

I think the thin back is to make wireless charging easier and dissipate heat. Mine did have an alarming heating issue when I first got it but that evaporated when it updated to marshmallow.

If you use AT&T, the Priv does not have wifi calling nor video calling post marshmallow update. That's disappointing. It does have HD Voice.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android (Priv)
    07-18-16 05:30 PM
    Makes a nice paperweight, still sitting in the box unused and all the protection plastic intact. Will use when MM is available for it on Verizon.
    Until then, just look at it and wonder, "Will it ever get MM?"
    07-18-16 05:37 PM
    Makes a nice paperweight, still sitting in the box unused and all the protection plastic intact. Will use when MM is available for it on Verizon.
    Until then, just look at it and wonder, "Will it ever get MM?"
    I do have to ask why you HAVE TO HAVE MM before using it. I don't know what I'm missing as I've only had Lollipop and my Samsung Tab S had Kitkat, so that may be why I don't see any major issues with my Verizon Priv on MM.
    07-18-16 06:12 PM
    I do have to ask why you HAVE TO HAVE MM before using it. I don't know what I'm missing as I've only had Lollipop and my Samsung Tab S had Kitkat, so that may be why I don't see any major issues with my Verizon Priv on MM.
    You'll be some happy when you do get it. Big difference.
    07-18-16 06:18 PM
    Yeah I have to agree. MM makes a huge difference in battery life, heat, and speed on this phone.

I upgraded my Note 4 to MM yesterday and didn't notice much difference but on the Priv it fixes many things.

07-18-16 06:21 PM
    The Priv works just great without marshmallow, but there are reportedly battery, heat, and other improvements.

But to be clear - you *don't* have to have it to enjoy the Priv. It's a great phone, especially if you're drawn to the physical keyboard.
    FF22 and Sigewif like this.
    07-18-16 06:34 PM
    Lack of file manager? Why what's it like on the priv?

Posted via CB10
    07-18-16 06:36 PM
    I like mine. Best android I've ever used and it's not horrible coming from a z30. Hub could be better but I still use it for my email. It's worth it to me

Posted with my shiny new Priv
    07-18-16 06:40 PM
    Lack of file manager? Why what's it like on the priv?

Posted via CB10
    It isn't a big deal. If a Priv owner wants a file manager it takes 30 seconds and zero dollars on Google Play.

It is an odd omission though.

07-18-16 06:45 PM
    It's great, no going back over here. Although the American carrier situation is just sad, like it is with everything else involving them.

It isn't a big deal. If a Priv owner wants a file manager it takes 30 seconds and zero dollars on Google Play.

It is an odd omission though.

Meh, it's better for the user to spend 30 seconds and $0 (oh the humanity) than BlackBerry to spend time and money on a probably subpar file manager. Sticking to the few core competencies they have (i.e. PIM) should better utilize the resources that they still have.
    LP_Rigg likes this.
    07-18-16 06:48 PM
    I have to agree. I was shocked and pleased to get MM a couple of days after mine arrived. I have always been a Samsung Note fan until they sealed the battery... but I'm sort of over that (I skipped the Note 5) and really got the El Cheapo (299 Priv) because I just couldn't stand to wait for the Note 7. But I'm VERY pleased with the Priv. So much so, I'm skipping the Note 7 and waiting another year or as long as it takes for a Note that has a humongous battery or a swappable one(or for me to lose hope, or for BlackBerry to make an even better phone).

BlackBerry has taught me one very important thing that makes life easier and saves money: just get a phone that does what you need to do very well, and ignore everything else. Subtlety over novelty.

FF22, JeBe4 and Sigewif like this.
    07-18-16 06:57 PM
    6.0.1 on the Priv is really fantastic.

Hub on BB10 is essential. Hub on Android isn't essential to me, with the way the notifications pull-down bar (panel) works and has been previewed to work even better in Android N.

I use the Gmail app for Gmail, Outlook app for Exchange ActiveSync and stock Messenger app for SMS/MMS. Everything works really well (for me)

So I haven't setup Hub (haven't disabled it yet either but it's not using any battery atm) on my Priv.

Still a fantastic OS without the need for the Hub for me. The time is right for their next Android device!
    07-18-16 07:07 PM
    Your post made me think. If BlackBerry could cobbled together an android N update in the next couple of months and then come out with some new phones it might survive.

But it won't happen.

07-18-16 07:17 PM
78 123 ...