The stock file manager is buried in settings, but most people just download EFS file explorer, etc.
    Attachment 378202
    The Explore option is not there on the Priv. But you can touch on the categories like "Music" to see a list of music files.
    10-30-15 11:05 AM
    The Explore option is not there on the Priv. But you can touch on the categories like "Music" to see a list of music files.
    Hmm, EFS File Explorer it is then!
    10-30-15 11:15 AM
    If it is not made by blackberry then it is not safe.
    10-30-15 11:22 AM
    The stock file manager is buried in settings, but most people just download EFS file explorer, etc.
    Does EFS File Explorer grant remote access to your computer files as well? This being the real question; NOT just having a file manager...
    11-02-15 10:15 PM
    I have to agree; with the focus of the Priv being on Privacy and security, I really hope that they bring this functionality over to Android eventually. It's not exactly small potatoes to be missing out. I always hear the whole importance of "end to end" security... Please don't subject me to a 3rd party app handling all of my files on both my device and computer.

C'mon BlackBerry!!! You can do this!
    11-02-15 10:19 PM
    The best android file manager is ES file explorer. It's really good to be honest. Hopefully BlackBerry Priv has true mass storage mode and the micro SD card can be mounted as an external drive.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-15 11:24 PM
    And if it's not Scotish it's crap.
    11-03-15 02:30 AM
    People need to realise that BB10 has so many features out of the box, out of necessity, due to the lack of app support. Android has not such problem and for a lot of BB10 features we will find an app equivalent in Google play. This different approach is not good or bad, it's just different.
    DolemiteDONS likes this.
    11-03-15 02:37 AM
    I saw the Reddit poster confirmed the File Manager. I am saying I have a unit from retail and it is not there.
    Does it multitask? That is a show stopper for me along with the file manager and BBM video.
    Indeed, the file manager is the most important app on my BlackBerry phones. More important even than the HUB. I don't miss the hub that much on the PlayBook as long as I have attachments to my email and the file manager.
    11-03-15 03:02 AM
    Does it multitask? That is a show stopper for me along with the file manager and BBM video.
    Indeed, the file manager is the most important app on my BlackBerry phones. More important even than the HUB. I don't miss the hub that much on the PlayBook as long as I have attachments to my email and the file manager.
    Priv is an android phone - multitasking works like multitasking on any android phone, the interface is a little different but the fundamentals are the same.
    11-03-15 03:08 AM
    Does EFS File Explorer grant remote access to your computer files as well? This being the real question; NOT just having a file manager...
    Yes and No.

Yes, EFS can act like an FTP client. Using that feature, you can access files on your computer.

But, it's not exactly like BB Link because the BB Link desktop software does all the work of turning your computer into a remote file server. It also helps if you have a dynamic ip address that changes often. With EFS, you would have to handle that part on your own.
    11-03-15 07:24 AM
    So, again, the question is can someone recommend a File Manager that handles remote access out of the box like the BB file manager does? You pair your phone with your home network and then can access the drives you choose remotely (not on the same wifi network).

I've tested a half dozen of the "recommended" ones and can't seem to find this functionality.
    11-03-15 07:46 AM
    So, again, the question is can someone recommend a File Manager that handles remote access out of the box like the BB file manager does? You pair your phone with your home network and then can access the drives you choose remotely (not on the same wifi network).

I've tested a half dozen of the "recommended" ones and can't seem to find this functionality.
    I'm worried Jonty...

I think you just answered why this might actually be a problem for moving to Android. "You pair your phone with your home network..." and this is not part of what you do with Android right out of the box. Hopefully Blend will make its way to Android soon as it seems like this is going to be our biggest hope. And probably the best play for BlackBerry as well.

Posted via CB10
    11-03-15 08:57 AM
    I hope BlackBerry will have their own file manager... don't like using third party apps for such things.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2639
    Most everything BlackBerry... will be 3rd Party on Android.

But I get what you are saying, you trust BlackBerry over some unknown developer.
    11-03-15 09:01 AM

I use SolitdExplorer. It is a paid app (with a 2 week trial) that can handle google drive, dropbox, onedrive, SMB, FTP, SFTP, webdav, yandex, owncloud, box, mediafire. It is a very good app.
    11-03-15 09:08 AM
    Most everything BlackBerry... will be 3rd Party on Android.

But I get what you are saying, you trust BlackBerry over some unknown developer.
    True this. It's kind of funny but I imagine many users will want as many "3rd Party" (BlackBerry) apps as possible in order to avoid the "native" (Google) ones wherever they can. How the tables have turned!

Posted via CB10
    11-03-15 09:10 AM

I've already answered your question.

The BlackBerry file manager on your phone doesn't handle remote access 'out of the box' like you think it does. You can only use that feature once you have setup Link to do so on your computer. The Link software on your computer is acting like an easy to use FTP server on your computer.

You can achieve similar functionality on any phone that has an FTP client. Setting up the server on your computer is not as 'easy' as using BB Link though.

I agree, they should update Link so that this easier method is available on the Priv.
    11-03-15 09:10 AM
    True this. It's kind of funny but I imagine many users will want as many "3rd Party" (BlackBerry) apps as possible in order to avoid the "native" (Google) ones wherever they can. How the tables have turned!

Posted via CB10
    But in the Android world you also have the option of 3rd-party (not-google) apps that are much better than Google's or BB's offerings. For example, Android doesn't have a native file manager, so I use SolidExplorer and for email i very much like Microsoft's Outlook app.
    11-03-15 09:13 AM
    OP, like most of the happy BB10 users, the best option for us is probably to wait for a year or two, until BlackBerry builds up a small ecosystem within Android domain to offer a more complete set of security/productivity apps... if it happens.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639
    11-03-15 09:42 AM
    I've already answered your question.

The BlackBerry file manager on your phone doesn't handle remote access 'out of the box' like you think it does. You can only use that feature once you have setup Link to do so on your computer. The Link software on your computer is acting like an easy to use FTP server on your computer.

You can achieve similar functionality on any phone that has an FTP client. Setting up the server on your computer is not as 'easy' as using BB Link though.

I agree, they should update Link so that this easier method is available on the Priv.
    I was referring to not having to setup an FTP server on your computer. I can do it, but I can assure you, I can't talk friends and family through it.
    11-03-15 10:45 AM
    Priv is an android phone - multitasking works like multitasking on any android phone, the interface is a little different but the fundamentals are the same.
    Then why isn't the photon browser multitasking on BB10?
    Can you watch/listen to TV and edit text and email, or read crackberry at the same time without partitioning the screen?
    11-04-15 08:44 AM
    Then why isn't the photon browser multitasking on BB10?
    Can you watch/listen to TV and edit text and email, or read crackberry at the same time without partitioning the screen?
    Sorry you've lost me - what does the photon browser on a different platform have to do with an android device and how it multitasks????
    11-04-15 08:46 AM
    Sorry you've lost me - what does the photon browser on a different platform have to do with an android device and how it multitasks????
    Android doesn't multitask. It's just in, out, pause, in out, pause. Nothing really runs in the background that much.
    11-04-15 08:47 AM
    But in the Android world you also have the option of 3rd-party (not-google) apps that are much better than Google's or BB's offerings. For example, Android doesn't have a native file manager, so I use SolidExplorer and for email i very much like Microsoft's Outlook app.
    Will have to find a file manager but the whole point of BlackBerry Experience Suite and Hub is not to have separate apps for email. Outlook email works perfectly and integrated to BlackBerry Calendar within the Hub. Mush better than the separate Outlook email app.

BlackBerry Priv!!
    11-04-15 08:51 AM
    Android doesn't multitask. It's just in, out, pause, in out, pause. Nothing really runs in the background that much.
    OK I don't disagree with that - and the connection to "Then why isn't the photon browser multitasking on BB10?" is?? because I still don't get it.
    11-04-15 09:07 AM
56 123