One advantage the Priv will have over BB10 devices is better email synchronization with Gmail. Unless you are paying for a Gmail email address, the synch between BB10 and Gmail lags. New email messages come instantly, but the synch between read and unread is at least a 5 minute delay (i think).

For example - I'm on my PC, I view an unread Gmail email on my PC because I see the red light indicator on the Blackberry device. There is a lag between the unread email showing as "read" on my device. It's not a huge deal, but I used to hate having the indicator blink and have to go into the hub to stop the light from blinking. With the Priv, based on Android, that synch will be instantaneous.

Small perk, but it's easy to get used to.
    10-30-15 04:20 PM
    if you use the gmail app on the priv yes that is correct.
    10-30-15 04:22 PM
    if you use the gmail app on the priv yes that is correct.
    Privberry also mentioned if you have gmail set up in the hub email application and gmail - you get duplicate notifications...
    weezul likes this.
    10-30-15 04:51 PM
    Ahhh just as suspected... You can turn off notifications from the gmail app though.
    10-30-15 04:53 PM
    Ahhh just as suspected... You can turn off notifications from the gmail app though.
    Sure, but if you manage Gmail through the Hub app it probably still won't sync instantly, unless "managing your Gmail" from the Hub just means opening the Gmail app.

BlackBerry 10, Passport signed.
    10-30-15 05:00 PM
    Strange my Gmail is faster on my z10 than it is on pc

Posted via CB10
    10-30-15 05:01 PM
    Sure, but if you manage Gmail through the Hub app it probably still won't sync instantly, unless "managing your Gmail" from the Hub just means opening the Gmail app.

BlackBerry 10, Passport signed.
    Going off other android implementations - I would think if you set up gmail in the hub email app, it's em.. imap?
    10-30-15 05:27 PM
    anything other than the gmail app will be the same as it currently is on BB10 which is imap
    10-30-15 05:36 PM
    Imap with idle is EXTREMELY fast. In fact it can beat Exchange and often does in the real world.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-15 06:25 PM
    One advantage the Priv will have over BB10 devices is better email synchronization with Gmail. Unless you are paying for a Gmail email address, the synch between BB10 and Gmail lags. New email messages come instantly, but the synch between read and unread is at least a 5 minute delay (i think).

For example - I'm on my PC, I view an unread Gmail email on my PC because I see the red light indicator on the Blackberry device. There is a lag between the unread email showing as "read" on my device. It's not a huge deal, but I used to hate having the indicator blink and have to go into the hub to stop the light from blinking. With the Priv, based on Android, that synch will be instantaneous.

Small perk, but it's easy to get used to.
    That's one of the reasons I'm looking at Priv. My employer uses Google Apps for Enterprise, and the Google integration on an Android phone is (obviously) top notch.

So the idea of getting an Android phone, but with maybe some of the enterprise-aware goodness that I'm used to with Blackberry (at least in the legacy days), is very attractive.

I don't care about BB10 interface at all. What I care about is the underlying philosophy that drives Blackberry, the entrenched awareness of what an enterprise device needs to be. BB10 is at best ho-hum, just another interface; I've used Android, legacy BB, BB10, and Windows 8.1 Phone. I could rock BB7, for example; BB10, on the other hand, is meh. No worse than Android or Windows, but no better. Just different. But some of the capabilities that BB knows how to give an enterprise user, stuff I got seriously used to back in the legacy days, is what I'm looking for--and the fact that it's on an Android platform matters not to me.
    ptpete likes this.
    10-30-15 07:38 PM
    I thought legacy Gmail accounts used Exchange ActivSync which would be fast. They discontinued support for new accounts last year.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-15 08:19 PM
    I thought legacy Gmail accounts used Exchange ActivSync which would be fast. They discontinued support for new accounts last year.

Posted via CB10
    Not for Apps for Business (Enterprise) they didn't. The Exchange ActiveSync mechanism is alive and well for any of those users.
    10-30-15 09:29 PM
    I have an Android tablet as well, that I use Inbox on. I have three different devices to check email on, and hate always having to mark it read or delete it on my Blackberry no matter what device I use to check it.
    10-30-15 09:38 PM