When this thing goes live it has one chance to be good. The tech bloggers will rip it apart if it isn't awesome.

When it's all said and done it is android, so if it doesn't out spec the others or run better than the others it's a failure.

Only room for one at the top and that is Samsung even though I believe htc has been making hot tangy custard devices since the start.

Not sure an 808 with 3gigs is enough to wow the masses (masses of lemming bloggers not users) . when 810's with 4 gigs of ram are out there cheaper.

Remember throngs of lemming reviewers hating the playbook for the hard to press power button... someone said it and it caught on fire and before long every review was slamming the hard to press power button. The lemmings didn't know swiping up turned it on. Sure the button was annoying once or twice if you let the battery die, but hardly worth the scathing reviews, just had to swipe up.

I worry the lemming bloggers will find something and all copy each other and ruin Priv by BlackBerry.

Can't wait to use mine on Friday!!

Posted via CB10
    LyoobaBerry likes this.
    11-03-15 11:37 PM
    I concur! Not only in your statement regarding a first impression, but having this thing in hand on Friday. Being a die-hard BlackBerry fan, I will purchase this device out of support...but this will be my first foray with a smartphone that runs something other than BlackBerry OS/BB10. I would like to think the physical keyboard (amongst other features) will be a draw.

Posted via CB10
    11-03-15 11:43 PM
    Most reviewers aren't thrilled about the 810. It runs hot, drains more energy, has spotty performance because of thermal throttling. You obviously need to install a decent cooling solution to get the 810 to perform without throttling down. Like Microsoft is doing with their new Lumia 950 XL, on which we still have to wait and see how it turns out.
    Considering BlackBerry already squeezed a slide-out physical keyboard, micro-SD slot, and of course a pretty big 3410mAH battery into a shell which isn't actually thick or even bulky, I think adding such a complex cooling solution is out of the question.

So most reviewers will be fine with the 808. I agree though those three gigs of RAM, especially at this price tag, will be critical. For such a price, I'd actually expect a phone to have four gigs, it would also help to justify the price a bit better. However it is too late anyways to change the hardware.

I am pretty sure the Priv will perform just as well as other Android handsets with similar hardware. Reviewers will also put a close look at the software. BlackBerry runs a nearly stock Android experience which is always welcomed. However for those EUR 800 (don't remember the USD price right now), they want to know what else you'll get. If the Hub, pop-up widgets, the productivity edge and DTEK will be more like gimmicks, they'll definitely downrate the device.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-15 01:31 AM
    I think this phone will get the praise that it deserves. I don't think people are intentionally after blackberry.

They might knock it for the price, and the front facing camera but, I wonder what else they'll knock it for.

I think they'll praise the near stock Android experience, the hub (even if it may not be as good as bb10), the keyboard (obviously), the ability to use the keyboard as a touchscreen and overall it's build quality.
    Mr4aces likes this.
    11-04-15 01:46 AM
    I think this phone will get the praise that it deserves. I don't think people are intentionally after blackberry.

They might knock it for the price, and the front facing camera but, I wonder what else they'll knock it for.

I think they'll praise the near stock Android experience, the hub (even if it may not be as good as bb10), the keyboard (obviously), the ability to use the keyboard as a touchscreen and overall it's build quality.
    I read somewhere that the front facing camera is 2mb so video conferencing won't drop.... or something like that... anything higher would cause issues....

Posted via CB10
    11-04-15 07:32 AM
    I read somewhere that the front facing camera is 2mb so video conferencing won't drop.... or something like that... anything higher would cause issues....

Posted via CB10
    I'd say it's because they couldn't find anything bigger that would fit into such a small thin space.
    MO3iusONE likes this.
    11-04-15 07:34 AM
    11-04-15 10:52 AM
    ...the keyboard (obviously)...
    You really think that slab-happy tech reviewers are going to praise a physical keyboard? If Chevrolet released a car with a handcrank starter, do you think that Top Gear or Car and Driver would wet themselves in ecstasy? Irrespective of whatever productivity it might impart, and I'm dubious about that, it's still old tech and that's the kiss of death for lots of reviewers. Ever forward is the mentality they have.
    11-04-15 11:10 AM
    Worst thread title ever ^^

Posted via CB10
    kthhrrsn and B_Rad BurnZ like this.
    11-04-15 11:28 AM
    You really think that slab-happy tech reviewers are going to praise a physical keyboard? If Chevrolet released a car with a handcrank starter, do you think that Top Gear or Car and Driver would wet themselves in ecstasy? Irrespective of whatever productivity it might impart, and I'm dubious about that, it's still old tech and that's the kiss of death for lots of reviewers. Ever forward is the mentality they have.
    Enough with car analogy. If vkb is the future then how come we're not seeing vkb alternatives built-in to laptops and pc's? You see there is a fine line of productivity using OLD-tech versus the so-called future tech.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-15 11:32 AM
    Cars are fun

Posted via CB10
    11-05-15 01:52 PM