A wolf in sheep's clothing is still a wolf. It's like this, Apple and BlackBerry were the only ones that built their own hardware and ran their own OS. Now it looks like it's just going to be one.

What we have known for almost two decades as being a BlackBerry is not what the Priv will be. When somebody says they have a "Galaxy 6" we all know they have an Android phone. Looks like we are headed for the same thing...just another spoke in the Android wheel.

So, yeah, the Priv us not a "BlackBerry", it's an Android phone.

Posted via CB10
    I actually agree with this notion. Not to step on toes or offend, but I just think people want apps so bad, they are willing to tell themselves anything. Blackberry was both hardware AND software. Whether BBOS or BB10, the software was made by RIM, in the same sense that Apple creates iOS. If Apple moved to Android, would folks still say "well, it has a bitten apple on the back." But it is what it is. I'm still rooting for them even though I would never be a customer of any Android OEM again. I've used Blackberries longer than any other OS and was really hoping many would see the good in BB10, but that's just how things work sometimes. Hopefully, this push many in the direction of W10M.
    Coachbulldog, undone and nah.uhh like this.
    10-06-15 05:27 PM
    With all the over hypothesis about this phone it seems everybody on this planet will soon have ownership of this device....wow what a quick around for BlackBerry the world will once again belongs to BlackBerry.......if only life was that simple we all could easily become businessmen overnight.

''Splendiferousness'' is not even a word that I use to decide my passport
    With all the hatred on these forums simultaneously it seems the phone is going to fail prior to its official public unveiling. Wow what a harsh reality for BlackBerry, if only they had hired people with such great foresight. Maybe they would have known back in 2007 that the S6 was going to have a curved screen.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-15 05:27 PM
    Then don't buy one. I'm just curious what's your best alternatives now then? The unproductive iOS? (Don't tell me it's Samsung)...

Posted via CB10
    10-06-15 05:35 PM
    Then don't buy one. I'm just curious what's your best alternatives now then? The unproductive iOS? (Don't tell me it's Samsung)...

Posted via CB10
    As far as platform capability, what would be the difference between the Priv and Samsung, especially if you can just buy the BB Experience apps? (well, other than the keyboard)
    10-06-15 05:38 PM
    Chen already said. Only update for OS10 will be for Enterprise users. Government and what not. So have fun with what you got. From release of the Priv on. Will be BlackBerry /Android
    Me I will hang with my Q10. For awhile BlackBerry 10 phones will be a thing in the past. Unless you work for a Enterprise that uses BlackBerry devices. Point blank. Apple sounds kinda cool. Haha!!!

Posted via CB10
    Coachbulldog likes this.
    10-06-15 06:15 PM
    There is Jolla and Sailfish. That looks about the best option. They have a phone and a tablet. Very nice stuff.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-15 06:36 PM
    I love BlackBerry 10 because they built a masterpiece. Whatever happens, at least there's Jolla!

Posted via CB10
    10-06-15 06:37 PM
    If I make a Toyota with a Ferrari bodywork, can I say it's a Ferrari??? Sorry, but for me the Priv is not a Blackberry.
    heepman likes this.
    10-06-15 06:47 PM
    If I make a Toyota with a Ferrari bodywork, can I say it's a Ferrari??? Sorry, but for me the Priv is not a Blackberry.
    No, but if Ferrari used Toyota parts to make a car it would still be a Ferrari.

My Ferrari has brakes made by Brembo. It has wheels made by OZ under contract. It has Bosch fuel injection. Tires by Pirelli. Infotainment by someone not Ferrari. The engine block on my particular car is shared with Maserati. Etc, etc.

But the way it's all put together is still very much a Ferrari. Think of the Priv that same way (hopefully!)
    10-06-15 06:53 PM
    Well it's made by BlackBerry! Like Samsung S6.... it's called a Samsung S6! Not a Google S6!

Posted via CB10
    10-06-15 07:06 PM
    Well it's made by BlackBerry! Like Samsung S6.... it's called a Samsung S6! Not a Google S6!

Posted via CB10
    But according to Chen it obviously runs Google...
    Elephant_Canyon and dusanvn like this.
    10-06-15 07:10 PM
    The last thing us BlackBerry fans want to see are, 'BlackBerry Priv rooted!' or 'BlackBerry Priv is not immune to stage fright 3.0' headlines after all this security talk.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-15 07:11 PM
    The last thing us BlackBerry fans want to see are, 'BlackBerry Priv rooted!' or 'BlackBerry Priv is not immune to stage fright 3.0' headlines after all this security talk.

Posted via CB10
    If that happens then all the security talk from BlackBerry will loose traction and the Priv will be seen as just another Droid variant...
    Hopefully it won't happen, at least not before BlackBerry can recover some market points.

Posted via CB10 from Passport
    10-06-15 07:27 PM

Posted via CB10
    Wait for it. It will happen. BlackBerry has farmed out it's OS and security to others. Their reputation on security is now dependent on other companies. What do you think will happen when Priv is rooted? Will BlackBerry say, "well it isn't our OS and security."
    10-06-15 07:27 PM

Posted via CB10
    In the regular consumer market, I don't think many would care. In other words, rooting it won't affect its potential to succeed.
    the1, LazyEvul and DolemiteDONS like this.
    10-06-15 07:28 PM
    I OWE you a Nickel

Z10
    10-06-15 07:45 PM
    In the regular consumer market, I don't think many would care. In other words, rooting it won't affect its potential to succeed.
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. Software is software, bugs happen. It's how you handle the exploit that matters.
    10-06-15 08:17 PM
    Two things strike me about the last half of this thread.

1st, the sudden revelation that security doesn't matter, as long as I can do X. The android mindset has arrived. Let's face it, the real questions will be DOES any of this security truly matter to whoever buys these phones? Enough to matter?

Next, I'm not really sure who ACTUALLY builds this phone? BB has been getting out of hardware production for quite some time. Will this be foxconn? samsung? BB in waterloo? My guess is this is badge engineered by BB, designed and built by a supplier, as many of their recent releases have been.

What makes anyone think BB has managed to secure android?? Blackphone and the other secure android phone are modified to the extent they no longer work with google play. How much security can BB install without actually breaking the system?
    Chen is building this strictly as a cost cutting measure to see how cheap he can get a phone out the door. The fact that this appeals to those who never really used the BB10 to the point the app ecosystem was secondary is just free marketing to Chen. He's gambling apps will outsell security. He may be right, who knows? But this is the way to find out.

As for me, my Z30 is working fine for now, but I'm thinking I can do better than verizon, which will require a change. Looking hard at the 950/950xl right now, but won't be out until Nov. either. So I'm stuck for now.
    undone likes this.
    10-06-15 10:53 PM
    Will BlackBerry say, "well it isn't our OS and security."
    .....so you'll have to buy our BB10 device for better security. (Sans GPS, of course)
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    10-06-15 11:00 PM
    This is a community for BlackBerry fans, users, etc. If you don't like that then go take a hike you clown.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-15 11:13 PM
    You do know the Lotus Elise uses a Toyota engine right?

Also, the Ariel Atom uses a Honda engine and some even have a Ford engine.

If Ferrari decided to make a car... A smaller car.. A more economical car or whatever, and decided to use a Toyota engine for whatever reason... Guess what? It's still a Ferrari. Tesla uses some Mercedes Benz parts for their interior.

There are sure a lot of disgruntled bb10 users up in here.

Both HTC and Samsung have made smartphones running Android or blackberry and guess what? At the end of the day it's still a Samsung or HTC device.

By your logic none of the handset makers aren't what they say they are. Motorola, Kyocera, LG, Sony, Sharp etc. There are all manufactures who use to have their own basic OS before smartphones came about. Are they now on get what they say they are because their running a different operating system such as android? OOokay

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    DolemiteDONS likes this.
    10-07-15 01:29 AM
    This is a community for BlackBerry fans, users, etc. If you don't like that then go take a hike you clown.

Posted via CB10
    I get that but I don't come here so we can jerk each other off and tell ourselves how great bb10 is and how it's the best in the world just to make ourselves feel good. Let's be realistic here. I like hearing other people's opinions but some users on here are taking the whole Priv running Android to heart.. As if they feel betrayed or if it's some unspeakable sin that a blackberry will be running Android.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    10-07-15 01:41 AM
    Yep. Its been proven time and time again, the consumer market does not care enough. If the public likes the Priv's daily functionality and style, it won't matter.
    10-07-15 02:05 AM
    I remember the flack over BB10 and no BIS integration... many then taught that BB10 wasn't BlackBerry.

Let them release the phone, let all the reviews and early adopters have a chance to play with it..... and then compare your options and go with what works best for YOU. Casue too be honest there aren't too many "real" options out there.....

The only reason I see to discount the PRIV by BlackBerry at this early stage in the game, is if you are concerned about it not being a success and that BlackBerry will once again leave users with a device that won't see any additional OS upgrades. If that is a concern, then you wait a few months to see how sales are progressing.
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    10-07-15 07:24 AM
    I remember the flack over BB10 and no BIS integration... many then taught that BB10 wasn't BlackBerry.

Let them release the phone, let all the reviews and early adopters have a chance to play with it..... and then compare your options and go with what works best for YOU. Casue too be honest there aren't too many "real" options out there.....

The only reason I see to discount the PRIV by BlackBerry at this early stage in the game, is if you are concerned about it not being a success and that BlackBerry will once again leave users with a device that won't see any additional OS upgrades. If that is a concern, then you wait a few months to see how sales are progressing.
    Which I think $599-629 with an intro offer of $100 off would put it in a good position. A bit more than the Moto X at MSRP (for the keyboard and security features) and the discount to sweeten the deal.
    10-07-15 07:26 AM
81 1234