Life is to short to have to look over your shoulder and/or worry about who is looking at who.
    And yes I'm willing to bet that your online password is not PASSWORD.

We are talking about degrees of evil here and Google is at the front of the pack while second place is still at home deciding which color socks to wear.
    10-06-15 08:13 AM
    I am not going to have a stroke or heart attack worrying about Google and/or any other company mining my data because once your connected to the grid, you are giving up some of your privacy, period.
    I don't like your repeated "period" at all, because it's mostly everthing else but not a period. And this is also one root of your simple thinking.
    lift likes this.
    10-06-15 08:40 AM
    Don't know how Google can be worse than the NSA who definitely has everything about you. But it's still honorable to resist by all means possible.

If you live in the US privacy is dead. Maybe some other country values freedom. Not here. We three our freedom out the window on 9/11.

Z30STA100-5 / 10.3.2.2789 / T-Mobile USA
    Wow, and here I thought you were a Brit. As an aside, if you are an American then you should know that the common usage for the word "privy" around these parts is to mean "in on the secret".

Google sells ads, Blackberry doesn't, they have a different business model. Since the OS is "free", you have to pay in one way or another since google isn't a charity company. I'm sure Blackberry knows everything about their owners, but probabily doesn't do anything with it other than for internal marketing purposes.

If you don't like your data to be sold, buy Iphone for example
    Yeah, of course. Too bad too many do not question just how Google earns tons of revenues when they pretty much give away all of their products for free.

But hey, what about CrackBerry/Mobile Nations. Visit a random website, come back to CrackBerry, and watch the targeted adds magically appear.

The minute you log on to the grid, your exposing yourself, period.
    Yup, but not all search engines or websites collect data and typically they just look at your cookies, anyways.

I don't know how it's at Apple, Facebook or Microsoft but I would think it's not much different.
    Facebook does the same as Google. Apple and Microsoft don't really have to but any one who thinks they are not collecting data to at least look at user trends is nuts.

"The Android operating system has only one core function, which is to collect data about you and use it to deliver targeted advertisements. In order to use the Android name, phone suppliers are obliged to bundle it with Google software and services, including access to the Play store. The path of least resistance is to use all Google’s services, which is what it wants. For your further convenience, other companies may want to join in the fun, adding access to Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and other services to their apps. This creates the problem that if a single service is hacked, the bad guys may get access to a lot of your private data."

How can I protect my privacy and security on Android? | Technology | The Guardian

Posted via CB10
    A big part of the "deal" is compatibility with "Android". In reality, that only means compatibility with GApps and GMS and that Google prohibits OEMs from installing tech and/or code that would block or alter how Google collects the data. To add, Google allows 3rd party apps to also collect data by which ever means they wish as well. The flipside to this is that Google also allows the end user to ultimately do what they want with their own phone/Android OS including gaining root and modding the ROM/OS/etc. even to the point of removing GMS ability completely. Of course they do not make it easy to root mind you but they are aware that some users are doing it.
    10-06-15 09:09 AM
    It's ok under the condition that I know :
    - What exactly is stored besides the obvious (email contents, files on the cloud, calls/text logs)
    - What usage they make with that

And I have :
    - The ultimate dont-ask-why-just-do-it right to ask all my tracks and marketing profiles to be permanently deleted.

For once, N.A may appreciate Europe for what it brings on this subject and the right to digital oblivion.

P.S: For anything Google, I have a dummy account which purpose is for login only and do not handle anything close to my real life.
    10-06-15 09:10 AM
    Apple makes money selling you a phone
    Google makes money selling your information
    Blackberry doesn't make money.
    HAHAHAHA
    10-06-15 10:26 AM
    I thought this thread was locked? Maybe it must have been another one with a similar title.
    10-06-15 11:53 AM
    Is it ok for Google to know everything about me?
    That depends on the person you are. Some people care about so much about privacy that they will provide no information, and curb their online activity. Others don't even know what information they are revealing. Still others are so deluded by the ubiquity of Google, and grateful for its services that they knowingly disable key privacy settings.

Most of us are somewhere in between these extremes.
    10-06-15 11:56 AM
    We know everything about you. Why shouldn't google???
    10-06-15 12:41 PM
    Is it ok for Google to know everything about me?

From what I gather, searches location, emails, probably hangouts text, etc.

Posted on my Z30.......while on the can
    it is so funny that people take shot at Google like they are the absolute evil because they know what you do online and at the same time people do not mid that your bank and credit card know everything you do in real life + online, and they are the ones you should fear the most since they share your info to anyone.
    10-06-15 01:12 PM
    No its not good even if you have nothing to hide. It's none of their damn business. It's not right and people shouldn't be so complacent. I dropped android, I don't use Facebook or Google for those very reasons. Some folks think others get to wound up about privacy. I don't think people get wound up enough.

Posted via CB10
    I bet you have a bank account and a debit/credit card...if you do, you do not have any privacy either because those guys know where you are, what you buy, etc etc etc
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-06-15 01:15 PM
    My question is if anything will be different on the new BB in regards to protecting our info compared to all other android phone?
    10-06-15 01:34 PM
    My question is if anything will be different on the new BB in regards to protecting our info compared to all other android phone?
    You believe your info is not collected by BBRY and affiliates now?
    10-06-15 01:40 PM
    As I said, that makes as much logical sense as saying if you never want your home robbed, don't own a house.
    While y'all are frothing at the mouth and jumping at Bakron, what he says is painfully true: the best way to keep your stuff yours is to get offline.

Period.

We might not like it, and it sucks, but the second we warm up the modem, somebody is watching and recording.

As I like to say, it is silly to expect any corporate entity to respect your privacy more than you do. Protect yourself.

I take great lengths to protect myself on all platforms I use, and even then, I honestly believe the most profitable move is protecting my output.

Interesting discussion. Carry on...
    sonicpix likes this.
    10-06-15 01:48 PM
    As I like to say, it is silly to expect any corporate entity to respect your privacy more than you do. Protect yourself.
    The problem here is that most people actually don't know or care that they are being tracked and data mined. I go to great lengths to limit my exposure, but I would estimate that 90% of the population does not know what to do or how to limit what goes on.
    People just turn on their phones, tablets and computers and just click OK, OK, OK..... without reading what they are agreeing to and what kind of tracking and data mining they are agreeing to. ANY kind of tracking or data mining should NEVER be opt out. The big companies love the way the system is right now because they have free rein to everything you do unless you take steps to stop or limit it.
    10-06-15 02:02 PM
    The problem here is that most people actually don't know or care that they are being tracked and data mined. I go to great lengths to limit my exposure, but I would estimate that 90% of the population does not know what to do or how to limit what goes on.
    People just turn on their phones, tablets and computers and just click OK, OK, OK..... without reading what they are agreeing to and what kind of tracking and data mining they are agreeing to. ANY kind of tracking or data mining should NEVER be opt out. The big companies love the way the system is right now because they have free rein to everything you do unless you take steps to stop or limit it.
    I agree.

Just the other day, I had a CTJ meeting with my daughter. She went and upgrade a tablet and accepted all the TOSes.

Poor kiddo... she probably thought it was overkill, but I bet she never does anything like that again LOL.

But most folks don't care, and it's sad.

I'm not opposed to using free products; I just think companies can do a better job informing people what they're giving up in return.

I can dream...
    lift likes this.
    10-06-15 02:07 PM
    I agree.

Just the other day, I had a CTJ meeting with my daughter. She went and upgrade a tablet and accepted all the TOSes.

Poor kiddo... she probably thought it was overkill, but I bet she never does anything like that again LOL.

But most folks don't care, and it's sad.

I'm not opposed to using free products; I just think companies can do a better job informing people what they're giving up in return.

I can dream...
    We actually agree on something, LOL. The problem, at least in the US, is the so called "self regulating" that companies are allowed to do as far as privacy is concerned. That's like letting the fox guard the hen house! These companies are just drooling at the prospect of collecting every little bit of information about everyone possible and doing it as fast as possible. It is a really big problem that needs to be fixed because it is quickly getting worse.
    10-06-15 02:12 PM
    No it's not.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-15 02:20 PM
    While y'all are frothing at the mouth and jumping at Bakron, what he says is painfully true: the best way to keep your stuff yours is to get offline.

Period.

We might not like it, and it sucks, but the second we warm up the modem, somebody is watching and recording.

I take great lengths to protect myself on all platforms I use, and even then, I honestly believe the most profitable move is protecting my output.

Interesting discussion. Carry on...
    Two things before my period.

1. Asking a question or making a point is NOT frothing of or jumping on anything. Don't be that guy who feels differing views are an attack on your soul.

2. Neither I or anybody else needs you permission to carry on despite you giving it as if you had the power to do so. Neat trick though
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    10-06-15 03:12 PM
    You believe your info is not collected by BBRY and affiliates now?
    You believe there is no difference in the scale and density of the info not only collected but shared / sold by Apple, BB and Google?
    lift likes this.
    10-06-15 03:15 PM
    In Google est, ergo est; in Google non est, ergo non est...
    10-06-15 04:01 PM
    In Google est, ergo est; in Google non est, ergo non est...
    Broken Latin it is, PigLatin (ig-pay atin-lay) it ain't !!
    10-06-15 04:11 PM
    The fact that you have a smartphone, even a blackberry, your data is already outside your hands. Your phone carrier has your data and what they do with it is out of your control:

T-Mobile customers' info breached after Experian hack - Oct. 1, 2015

This is not only about Google having your information, but all other 3rd parties that you have to deal with and who already have your personal data.
    10-06-15 05:00 PM
    Two things before my period.

1. Asking a question or making a point is NOT frothing of or jumping on anything. Don't be that guy who feels differing views are an attack on your soul.

2. Neither I or anybody else needs you permission to carry on despite you giving it as if you had the power to do so. Neat trick though
    You believe there is no difference in the scale and density of the info not only collected but shared / sold by Apple, BB and Google?
    LOL. Carry on then and relax.

Seriously: sliding ethics scales aside, no, I don't believe BlackBerry loves me more than Google. I won't give any entity credit for ineptitude. Scale (LOL) means nothing to me in the grand scheme of things; I'm the product.

Google is best at it (IMHO), but the others are very quick studies.

I expect companies to attempt to collect information on me, and act accordingly.
    10-06-15 05:03 PM
    We actually agree on something, LOL. The problem, at least in the US, is the so called "self regulating" that companies are allowed to do as far as privacy is concerned. That's like letting the fox guard the hen house! These companies are just drooling at the prospect of collecting every little bit of information about everyone possible and doing it as fast as possible. It is a really big problem that needs to be fixed because it is quickly getting worse.
    Ha! I told you a while back that we probably agree on more stuff than we disagree on...
    10-06-15 05:05 PM
    The fact that you have a smartphone, even a blackberry, your data is already outside your hands. Your phone carrier has your data and what they do with it is out of your control:

T-Mobile customers' info breached after Experian hack - Oct. 1, 2015

This is not only about Google having your information, but all other 3rd parties that you have to deal with and who already have your personal data.
    Agreed.

I do believe Google is targeted a lot for obvious reasons, but reading one's TOSes can be an eye-opening experience.

That's why I think Bakron is spot on to a degree: connect to the grid, you will be tracked.

Until that changes, or these companies are forced to change, it's foolish to trust any of them IMHO.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-06-15 05:08 PM
105 12345