Is it ok for Google to know everything about me?

From what I gather, searches location, emails, probably hangouts text, etc.
    That's seriously something only you could answer.
    Right. Are you that interesting that Google would, out of the billions of trillions of data it handles, bother to look closer?
    10-05-15 06:43 PM
    if you're fine with people making money with the info about you without a dime going to you, then I guess there aren't any issues with it.....
    I must ask, how is anyone BUT Google making money on the following user case (MINE):

• They get my data (I use Gmail, I can only imagine they do). The robots see a lot of PMI, PMP, project management keyworks.
    • Google (search and services) show me ads for said keyworks.
    • I don't click anything.

In this scenario, only Google is making money, out of companies that apply for Pay Per Visualisation instead of Pay Per Click. And everyone knows that PPC is where you should put your money at.

Just an observation, don't bother wasting time replying...
    10-05-15 06:47 PM
    True?
    Is it my Browser or Amazon? When surfing on other sites, I get Amazon pop ups/banners/ads that show the Items I searched for (or related) even if already bought... so they must have a sort of profile saved somewhere!?!
    They do!! ON your PC!!!

It's called.... COOKIES....

You guys crack me up sometimes...

Here is how it works. You go to Amazon.com, your session gets saved on a cookie, you then go to site B, site B has an ad area. It happens to be an Amazon ad. Said ad reads the cookie and shows you stuff relevant to your Amazon searches.
    10-05-15 06:48 PM
    If you don't like your data to be sold, buy Iphone for example
    That's so wrong in so many levels...
    lift and rayporsche like this.
    10-05-15 06:51 PM
    If you are a terrorist or child molester then no.
    Don't forget brasilian politicians!!!

BlackBerry Messenger evidence helps catch corrupt officials in Brazil embezzling Petrobras funds - Business Insider

(OK! OK! I'm done!)
    jaydee5799 and MO3iusONE like this.
    10-05-15 06:53 PM
    Well, it's refreshing to see that I'm at least not the only one here that chooses not to "run the google" (as Chen said).

It has actually surprised me how many here are wiling to give an Android device a chance.

We are aware of how many ways and by whom we're tracked/mined.
    We can pick our privacy and security battles and at least have "some" (albeit minor) victories.

 Frosty White Q10/10.3.2.2639 CB10 
    Last edited by jope28; 10-05-15 at 08:22 PM.
    lift likes this.
    10-05-15 07:05 PM
    True?
    Is it my Browser or Amazon? When surfing on other sites, I get Amazon pop ups/banners/ads that show the Items I searched for (or related) even if already bought... so they must have a sort of profile saved somewhere!?!
    It's both. Amazon tracks everything you buy and everything you look at. When you go to another site that Amazon is advertising on, Amazon will look for your Amazon cookie to find your Amazon user number, and then show you items in your ad that they know you are interested in based on your history. And while Amazon is one of the very best at doing this, the reality is that nearly EVERY website you visit is doing the same thing to a greater or lesser degree.

But they don't care about YOU, except to the degree that they want to show you things you're more likely to buy, so that they can maximize how much money they make from you (and so that you buy from them instead of some other website that doesn't "know you" well enough to show you relevant ads).
    10-05-15 08:15 PM
    Apple makes money selling you a phone
    Google makes money selling your information
    Blackberry doesn't make money.
    Lol

 вιaсĸвεггч� ᕵαssρσяτ SE via CB10 (AT&T OS 10.3.2.2339)
    10-05-15 08:27 PM
    No its not good even if you have nothing to hide. It's none of their damn business. It's not right and people shouldn't be so complacent. I dropped android, I don't use Facebook or Google for those very reasons. Some folks think others get to wound up about privacy. I don't think people get wound up enough.

Posted via CB10
    I agree with you 100%. Until people get educated and tell these companies that it is not "OK" to data mine the H3LL out of them, then these companies will just keep pushing the limits on what they collect from users.
    I also do not use android, anything Google if I can help it, Facebook or Twitter. I use adblockers and tracking blockers everywhere I can and I also have cookies, history and other data purged when the browser is closed.
    My life is pretty boring but it is still MY business and no one else's.
    tix6174 likes this.
    10-05-15 10:15 PM
    ^ THIS mentality is a huge part of why the 1983 psyops has been allowed to carry on as far as it has... Pandering to the programming with the staunch assumptions that the few remaining people who DO value their privacy MUST have some dark secret to hide...

I don't use Facebook. I don't use Google services... I am not a 'terrorist' nor 'child molestor', I am simply one who values her privacy and am not consensual in the datamining that has become the norm. While I am not delusional and realize that privacy is in fact a fleeting thought, especially in the US, and while I recognize that my information is already compromised by various entities by default, I still am not going to just simply roll-over and accept it as an essential way of life.

While you are free to do what you wish and use whatever datamining tools you feel are socially acceptable, some of us choose to exercise our rights to conduct our lives as surveillance-free as possible... Just because you have accepted this invasion of privacy with welcoming arms does not mean we all must and furthermore it certainly does NOT mean that those who exercise dissent on this matter have something nefarious to conceal...

(Disclaimer: I am NOT saying Android is the problem... With the proper rooting, a little modding and some extra precautions it can be made secure, my issues exist purely with Google and its' services as well as the other countless entities out there contributing to erode what remains of our personal privacy... The NSA, Google, Facebook, etc... Makes no difference... Same face, different mask...)

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for posting this. It was very well written and I couldn't agree more.
    10-05-15 10:17 PM
    Like what another user said. It's all on you. I'll do a search on mechanical keyboards, all of a sudden I'm getting ads on websites about mechanical keyboards.
    Because you don't know what you are doing. Ever hear of ad blockers? Tracking blockers?
    10-05-15 10:19 PM
    The minute you log on to the grid, your exposing yourself, period.
    There are ways to minimize it and people just don't care and don't bother to do anything about it.
    The Big Picture and meow_chan like this.
    10-05-15 10:21 PM
    Actually, BlackBerry does use your personal information to sell targeted ads.
    In BBM only. Otherwise they do not.
    The Big Picture likes this.
    10-05-15 10:23 PM
    ^ THIS mentality is a huge part of why the 1983 psyops has been allowed to carry on as far as it has... Pandering to the programming with the staunch assumptions that the few remaining people who DO value their privacy MUST have some dark secret to hide...

I don't use Facebook. I don't use Google services... I am not a 'terrorist' nor 'child molestor', I am simply one who values her privacy and am not consensual in the datamining that has become the norm. While I am not delusional and realize that privacy is in fact a fleeting thought, especially in the US, and while I recognize that my information is already compromised by various entities by default, I still am not going to just simply roll-over and accept it as an essential way of life.

While you are free to do what you wish and use whatever datamining tools you feel are socially acceptable, some of us choose to exercise our rights to conduct our lives as surveillance-free as possible... Just because you have accepted this invasion of privacy with welcoming arms does not mean we all must and furthermore it certainly does NOT mean that those who exercise dissent on this matter have something nefarious to conceal...

(Disclaimer: I am NOT saying Android is the problem... With the proper rooting, a little modding and some extra precautions it can be made secure, my issues exist purely with Google and its' services as well as the other countless entities out there contributing to erode what remains of our personal privacy... The NSA, Google, Facebook, etc... Makes no difference... Same face, different mask...)

Posted via CB10
    Excellently written.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-15 01:35 AM
    If you are a terrorist or child molester then no.

 вιaсĸвεггч� ᕵαssρσяτ SE via CB10 (AT&T OS 10.3.2.2339)
    If you have a healthy understanding of privacy then no too.

If you write a text in the tube you don't show it around, be honest to yourself that you reply to texts hidden and not showing the person sitting next to you. If you want sex you don't do it outside, you want to be alone with your partner, unless you have a fetish. If you have a health issue, you want the doctor to not tell anyone. If he does, he gets sued and looses his job.
    You'd never tell your neighbour how much money you really have.

But for some reason, when it comes to devices, it's all good to tell a company everything and each step you do.

I just don't get people anymore. Seriously, that behaviour doesn't make any sense.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-15 01:45 AM
    There are ways to minimize it and people just don't care and don't bother to do anything about it.
    I agree with this.

Why do people have to think in absolutes?

There is nothing absolute in life.

We do what we can to minimise what we don't want in life up to a point, without over inconveniencing ourselves.

The "if you want privacy don't use the internet" argument is like saying if you don't want to get into an accident don't ever leave your home.

Posted via CB10
    lift likes this.
    10-06-15 02:23 AM
    The minute you log on to the grid, your exposing yourself, period.
    That's as true as saying that the minute you build a house on a street, you expose yourself to have it robbed. OK, true enough but we all need to live somewhere just as we all need phones.

Google not only has your house's front door key, they also put cameras and microphone throughout the house. And to add insult they will also sell your underwear on ebay.

There will always be evil in various degrees. But what Google does even makes the devil blush.
    lift likes this.
    10-06-15 06:43 AM
    That's as true as saying that the minute you build a house on a street, you expose yourself to have it robbed. OK, true enough but we all need to live somewhere just as we all need phones.

Google not only has your house's front door key, they also put cameras and microphone throughout the house. And to add insult they will also sell your underwear on ebay.
    As I said, if you don't like someone looking at your data, don't go on the grid, period.
    10-06-15 06:46 AM
    Sounds corny, but follow your heart and your instincts. If you feel there's something wrong in using Google products, then don't use them. There are a lot of alternatives out there.

I created 2 new email accounts for my professional and personal use and decided to ditch my GMail (for security reasons), only to find out that I need a Google account for my Android tablet. Sheesh. And I'll be honest, I like Chrome compared to other browsers. But I'm not stopping until I find alternatives for Chrome and Google Play Store. It might take a long time, though..
    bakron1 and rayporsche like this.
    10-06-15 07:01 AM
    As I said, if you don't like someone looking at your data, don't go on the grid, period.
    That "defense" is just absurd. You're a big android user and that's why you keep saying things like that. Maybe YOU don't care or mind your data is being sold all around but I don't want my data sold and spread around.
    10-06-15 07:46 AM
    Google is a treacherous entity that has no respect for end-user privacy and intellectual property. It beggars belief that Blackberry, a company that supposedly prides itself on security and privacy would sink so low as to jump in bed with a despicable company that is the antithesis of everything that BlackBerry stands for.

Chen is a monumental moron who has no interest in seeing BlackBerry survive as his CEO contract means he can walk away scot-free and still collect a tidy sum. Meanwhile the bleeding heap that is BlackBerry will forever remain in the BLACK.
    lift likes this.
    10-06-15 07:57 AM
    First of all, you know absolutely nothing about me. I use Blackberry and IOS as my primary platforms and I have a gmail account. I have used Android in the past.

I am not going to have a stroke or heart attack worrying about Google and/or any other company mining my data because once your connected to the grid, you are giving up some of your privacy, period.

I would be more concerned about the NSA and the government agencies eavesdropping on citizens and violating their rights then what Google or any other company on the Internet is doing!

Life is to short to have to look over your shoulder and/or worry about who is looking at who.

If you haven't noticed you have given up your right to privacy when they put cameras and video recording devices into cell phones.

Now someone can record your conversation and/or movement without you even knowing it and post it online.

Now that scares the hell out of me worst then google mining my data, just my two cents.
    MO3iusONE and rayporsche like this.
    10-06-15 08:06 AM
    That "defense" is just absurd. You're a big android user and that's why you keep saying things like that. Maybe YOU don't care or mind your data is being sold all around but I don't want my data sold and spread around.
    First of all, you know absolutely nothing about me. I use Blackberry and IOS as my primary platforms and I have a gmail account. I have used Android in the past.

I am not going to have a stroke or heart attack worrying about Google and/or any other company mining my data because once your connected to the grid, you are giving up some of your privacy, period.

I would be more concerned about the NSA and the government agencies eavesdropping on citizens and violating their rights then what Google or any other company on the Internet is doing!

Life is to short to have to look over your shoulder and/or worry about who is looking at who.

If you haven't noticed you have given up your right to privacy when they put cameras and video recording devices into cell phones.

Now someone can record your conversation and/or movement without you even knowing it and post it online.

Now that scares the hell out of me worst then google mining my data, just my two cents.
    10-06-15 08:08 AM
    Is it ok for Google to know everything about me?

From what I gather, searches location, emails, probably hangouts text, etc.

Posted on my Z30.......while on the can
    They already do.
    10-06-15 08:09 AM
    As I said, that makes as much logical sense as saying if you never want your home robbed, don't own a house.
    lift likes this.
    10-06-15 08:10 AM
105 1234 ...