Is it ok for Google to know everything about me?

From what I gather, searches location, emails, probably hangouts text, etc.

Posted on my Z30.......while on the can
    10-04-15 05:23 PM
    That's seriously something only you could answer.
    10-04-15 05:31 PM
    It's ok with them! If it's ok with you, then it's really OK.

I think people do over react about the whole move to Android being a huge sacrifice in privacy. I use Google Chrome, Facebook, etc, from my home computer and I know that these companies and others have a ton of data on me already. I can see it when I search for something on Amazon and then subsequent websites that I visit have ads directed towards exactly what it was I was just searching for.

I don't want people spying on me and my family. I don't want people peeping through our personal things. I try to limit what I do and share on the internet, in that way. Otherwise, if I'm the one that put it on the internet, it's fair game for the data miners to go to town with. That's how it works. Doesn't matter what OS you use, you willingly give the big Internet "gatherers of information" your consent just by using the Internet the way that you currently do.

This is the world we live in. I'm not too concerned anyway. Most of us aren't famous enough for anyone who COULD hack naked selfies of us to have any interest in going through the effort. If you're some kind of celebrity, you should be very careful what you do and put onto the internet. Otherwise, most people probably couldn't care less what you do. They just wanna make a few extra cents from your data.
    FF22, JRF_1986, nappalonia and 1 others like this.
    10-04-15 05:36 PM
    Don't know how Google can be worse than the NSA who definitely has everything about you. But it's still honorable to resist by all means possible.

If you live in the US privacy is dead. Maybe some other country values freedom. Not here. We three our freedom out the window on 9/11.

Z30STA100-5 / 10.3.2.2789 / T-Mobile USA
    10-04-15 05:47 PM
    If you are a terrorist or child molester then no.

 вιaсĸвεггч� ᕵαssρσяτ SE via CB10 (AT&T OS 10.3.2.2339)
    MO3iusONE and z3user like this.
    10-04-15 05:59 PM
    No its not good even if you have nothing to hide. It's none of their damn business. It's not right and people shouldn't be so complacent. I dropped android, I don't use Facebook or Google for those very reasons. Some folks think others get to wound up about privacy. I don't think people get wound up enough.

Posted via CB10
    10-04-15 06:22 PM
    If you are a terrorist or child molester then no.

 вιaсĸвεггч� ᕵαssρσяτ SE via CB10 (AT&T OS 10.3.2.2339)
    ^ THIS mentality is a huge part of why the 1983 psyops has been allowed to carry on as far as it has... Pandering to the programming with the staunch assumptions that the few remaining people who DO value their privacy MUST have some dark secret to hide...

I don't use Facebook. I don't use Google services... I am not a 'terrorist' nor 'child molestor', I am simply one who values her privacy and am not consensual in the datamining that has become the norm. While I am not delusional and realize that privacy is in fact a fleeting thought, especially in the US, and while I recognize that my information is already compromised by various entities by default, I still am not going to just simply roll-over and accept it as an essential way of life.

While you are free to do what you wish and use whatever datamining tools you feel are socially acceptable, some of us choose to exercise our rights to conduct our lives as surveillance-free as possible... Just because you have accepted this invasion of privacy with welcoming arms does not mean we all must and furthermore it certainly does NOT mean that those who exercise dissent on this matter have something nefarious to conceal...

(Disclaimer: I am NOT saying Android is the problem... With the proper rooting, a little modding and some extra precautions it can be made secure, my issues exist purely with Google and its' services as well as the other countless entities out there contributing to erode what remains of our personal privacy... The NSA, Google, Facebook, etc... Makes no difference... Same face, different mask...)

Posted via CB10
    10-04-15 06:32 PM
    No its not good even if you have nothing to hide. It's none of their damn business. It's not right and people shouldn't be so complacent. I dropped android, I don't use Facebook or Google for those very reasons. Some folks think others get to wound up about privacy. I don't think people get wound up enough.

Posted via CB10
    What you say is absolutely true. But there are options on the market for those.
    10-04-15 06:51 PM
    What you say is absolutely true. But there are options on the market for those.
    Does BB10 spy on the user just as bad as Google does?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-04-15 07:55 PM
    Does BB10 spy on the user just as bad as Google does?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Google sells ads, Blackberry doesn't, they have a different business model. Since the OS is "free", you have to pay in one way or another since google isn't a charity company. I'm sure Blackberry knows everything about their owners, but probabily doesn't do anything with it other than for internal marketing purposes.

If you don't like your data to be sold, buy Iphone for example
    Last edited by Joao Oliveira; 10-05-15 at 08:12 AM.
    10-04-15 08:13 PM
    Like what another user said. It's all on you. I'll do a search on mechanical keyboards, all of a sudden I'm getting ads on websites about mechanical keyboards. Should I be upset? I don't know. They weren't in your face ads. Just normally where you see an ad on websites it was catered to me.

My Google now, calendar, notes and Gmail all play nice with each other. I get an email about something I ordered. If I go to my Google now page, I'll see updates on that same package. It I put something in my calendar about an appointment I have, Google Now will tell me when I should leave my home in order to get there on time, depending how bad traffic is via Google maps.

It's all on you. I personally am okay with sharing some information. But who am I? I'm nobody important. Just some guy. But hey if you're that concerned about your privacy you should see which is less intrusive out of all the operating systems. Might make sense to just use a flip phone and have a tablet with a fake account on the side. I mean how far are you willing to go? Everyone's different I guess.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    10-04-15 08:13 PM

Posted on my Z30.......while on the can
    What makes you think they don't know everything about you already.

''Splendiferousness'' is not even a word that I use to decide my passport
    Batibreaker and rayporsche like this.
    10-05-15 04:00 AM
    It's definitely not okay for me.

Everything google does make use of your data.

For example gmail scans your email and they have been very upfront about it:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinio...lumn/15051241/

Google's android collects information about you even when not using google's gmail, youtube and etc.

Always running google services like Google play store services and etc is like a master app which allows google to track how you use your phone and location and etc.

And if you try to turn everything off everything does work properly.

I don't believe BlackBerry 10 or iOS has an equivalent.

This is my big problem with the priv

Posted via CB10
    lift, S Valmont and tix6174 like this.
    10-05-15 04:50 AM
    The minute you log on to the grid, your exposing yourself, period. Anyone who thinks otherwise is only fooling themselves. Google is only one of many online companies that mine your data, most folks don't know that their data is being sold by other websites they use, so my motto is, life is to short to worry about stuff like that and welcome to the digital age my friend.
    10-05-15 05:12 AM
    True?
    Is it my Browser or Amazon? When surfing on other sites, I get Amazon pop ups/banners/ads that show the Items I searched for (or related) even if already bought... so they must have a sort of profile saved somewhere!?!
    10-05-15 06:25 AM
    Is it good? For your personal privacy, no.

Do you have any choice? Aside from not using a device running Google services, and very much limiting your use of any Google web site, not really.

Anyway, there are I believe plenty of companies out there compiling copious amounts of data about us and using that data for far more sinister means (Facebook being one example).

It is simply an unfortunate downside to the information era.
    10-05-15 07:12 AM
    "Yes, absolutely, this is our business. Give us all your data, we keep an eye on them. wink wink" (What other answer did you expect?)
    This depends a lot on you. You select the search engine, the mail provider, the level of blocking trackers, the amount of stored cookies and all that. You also decide where your sensitive data are stored. You will not get this privacy for free, you must take care of this on your own.
    JRF_1986 and lift like this.
    10-05-15 07:27 AM
    if you're fine with people making money with the info about you without a dime going to you, then I guess there aren't any issues with it.....

let me get at least 50%.... if not, then don't track me...
    HonnyBrown and tix6174 like this.
    10-05-15 07:37 AM
    Don't know how Google can be worse than the NSA who definitely has everything about you. But it's still honorable to resist by all means possible.

If you live in the US privacy is dead. Maybe some other country values freedom. Not here. We three our freedom out the window on 9/11.

Z30STA100-5 / 10.3.2.2789 / T-Mobile USA
    This!!!!!!

Google already knows everything about you.
    Doggerz and valer466 like this.
    10-05-15 08:02 AM
    Google sells ads, Blackberry doesn't, they have a different business model. Since the OS is "free", you have to pay in one way or another since google isn't a charity company. I'm sure Blackberry knows everything about their owners, but probabily doesn't do anything with it other than for internal marketing purposes.

If you don't like your data to be sold, buy Iphone for example
    Actually, BlackBerry does use your personal information to sell targeted ads. They are trying their best to monetize the data they've collected from their users. They're just not as good at it as Google is.

Those ads and requests in BBM can be targeted to users based on things like real time location, browsing history, the apps they have installed and possibly even the contents of personal messages.

In a nutshell, BlackBerry does pretty much the same things everyone else is doing. Their own terms of service agreements clearly state that: "When we display ads and other promotional or sponsored content within the Service, our goal is to provide content that is of interest to You. To do so, we may provide advertisers and third party ad serving providers (including ad networks and exchanges) with information...." - That's all that needs to be said. Your data is being used to help BlackBerry sell ads.

If you truly care so much about your privacy, than don't own a smartphone at all and certainly don't visit CrackBerry.
    10-05-15 09:08 AM
    Its not about knowing everything about you its about who gets the access to container where everything about you is being stored.

In Google's case pretty much anyone who works at Google can access most of your data if they really wanted. I know that first hand and I've mentioned it before, truth is that was more than couple of years ago before whole NSA thing so by now they could have revised policies about their employees and data access. I don't know how it's at Apple, Facebook or Microsoft but I would think it's not much different.
    10-05-15 09:09 AM
    Apple makes money selling you a phone
    Google makes money selling your information
    Blackberry doesn't make money.
    BB_PP, Witmen, HonnyBrown and 15 others like this.
    10-05-15 01:29 PM
    LOL!

Posted via CB10
    10-05-15 03:50 PM
    "The Android operating system has only one core function, which is to collect data about you and use it to deliver targeted advertisements. In order to use the Android name, phone suppliers are obliged to bundle it with Google software and services, including access to the Play store. The path of least resistance is to use all Google�s services, which is what it wants. For your further convenience, other companies may want to join in the fun, adding access to Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and other services to their apps. This creates the problem that if a single service is hacked, the bad guys may get access to a lot of your private data."

http://www.theguardian.com/technolog...ity-on-android

Posted via CB10
    lift, jope28, muellerto and 1 others like this.
    10-05-15 03:50 PM
    Hahaha that's brilliant and so true.
    anon(679606) likes this.
    10-05-15 04:05 PM
105 123 ...