I have been thru both systems and unlocked is better. The Priv I presently own is locked to my carrier but I purchased on ebay in March of 2015 for $299. Shopblackberry was selling it for a whole lot more. Prefer unlocked because you don't have to rely on carrier updates, but now I don't either. My security updates come Direct from BlackBerry because of the old "no service issue".

Congrats on your Priv. You will really love it.
    03-24-17 08:32 AM
    I bought a Priv about a week ago. I've now owned a BB Bold, 2x Classic, 9320, 2xDTEK50s and now a Priv.

The Priv's battery life is pretty good. It actually makes me cry inside how Blackberry released the Priv first, then launched the DTEK50 afterwards which was absolutely woeful in comparison in terms of battery life.

I'm hoping Blackberry will update the phone for another 12-24 months and i'll be a happy customer. I'd also appreciate an upgrade to Nougat soon. This will massively impact whether I buy another Blackberry device in future.

Pros: Good battery life (Processor is just about fast enough although it can deplete a fair bit of battery if in constant use). Feels like a premium device. Good camera.

Cons: Keyboard isn't as good as the Classic's. No fingerprint scanner.

Paid £270 in the UK for it.
    03-24-17 12:58 PM
    I view the Lack of fingerprint scanner as a good Thing since fingerprints really Are not secure as BlackBerry Will also tell you.

Only reason it's on the key one is due to massive pressure to include it

The keyboard seems good enough to me atleast but I have also had to due without one since the nokia e series phones so for me it is pure heaven to even have a keyboard on the phone. I never tried the BlackBerry os 10 phones though
    04-03-17 12:50 AM
    To be honest: I was quite scared because of the many disappointed reviews and so on... gotta say: I'm really impressed with the priv. It looks good. Feels premium (although it has a little bit of screen wobble at the lower left corner for me, but manageable). Batterylife for me is really good, I am not a maniac, but from 9am to 9pm I mostly have like 60-75% left. Heat is a real thing. If I launch apps (Googlemaps, Videos in browser etc) it gets warm. Not uncomfortable, but noticeable. It also has minor stutters here and there. For example: Typing with the keyboard, invoking the device search automatically... it takes 2-3seconds to launch. But it registers all the keys and when it launches it has the results up. Overall I would say I'm satisfied with the performance. The hub works well and fast enough for me. Don't expect it to be like the BB10 hub, which is (or was) superior.

The best thing: The Keyboard is damn awesome. I really dig the less travel keys. I can write seriously fast on the priv. And the touch capability (word flicking and scrolling) is really useful. I never thought I would dig a slider, but having a phone with PKB the size of any other 5.5" smartphone is awesome. Using it 1 handed with the VKB, or slide it out and write long emails. I tend to use it mostly with the PKB.
    The only thing I really miss after moving from the classic is using the touchpad as a pointer. Like selecting UI Elements and so on. But I think I just have to get comfortable using my finger on the screen again.

I have to admit: Super nice phone for me. Of course, coming from a BB Classic.
    bruteforce037 likes this.
    04-06-17 03:04 PM
    I finally ordered a Priv last night .About a year ago I made up my mind I was gonna use the Passport till it died. Well, The Priv went down to 300 bucks on amazon and I couldn't stop myself. I'v been following the Priv since day 1.I even told myself'' the Priv is not a real BB'' about 100 times. Just to not want it. I don't smoke or drink but I'm sorry to say I have a Blackberry addiction. What the Hell is it about these BB phones? My wife thinks I'm crazy, Friends laugh at me. I'd probably buy a turd if you painted it black and glued a keyboard to it.
    04-08-17 04:13 PM
    Finally holding my Priv in hands After the pearl flip, z10 and z30, I have just sold my G4 to get this peace of art cause of the price drop in my country( 340 euros now). Feeling like a teenage kid getting dat first kiss again Not yet set, taht will wait couple of days, but just holding it and playing with the slider... A true Blackberry Wow effect
    vptsff and Nathan Conley like this.
    04-13-17 07:49 AM
    Hi from Denmark. I'm all new with Blackberry, got this real neat Priv Thursday last week, ordered at dustin.dk two days earlier through my employer.

I'm thrilled about something combining Android and a physical keyboard. Writing is paramount and there I come from an HTC Chacha only therefore. Indeed, the range out there to select from seems quite limited for this particular taste.

I write in Swedish, Danish and English and only now learned how to disable corrections and dictionaries of all sorts. I'd prefer my (physical) keyboard as 'dumb' as possible, obeying only me, including no role for length and strength of key pressing, and keyboard only, meaning minimum need to finger-place a cursor at the screen.

Edit Apr 15: learned how to double-tap the pkb to move the cursor through a text!

I still hope for Scandinavian special characters (Ææ, Øø, Åå, Ää, Öö) to be enterable using keyboard only. So far, they won't whether I make Swedish or Danish primary or extra language, but I learned the cursor thing so maybe I'll learn this too - hints much appreciated.
    Last edited by sofloc; 04-15-17 at 10:47 AM.
    Nathan Conley likes this.
    04-13-17 01:57 PM
    Hi from Denmark. I'm all new with Blackberry, got this real neat Priv Thursday last week, ordered at dustin.dk two days earlier through my employer.

I'm thrilled about something combining Android and a physical keyboard. Writing is paramount and there I come from an HTC Chacha only therefore. Indeed, the range out there to select from seems quite limited for this particular taste.

I write in Swedish, Danish and English and only now learned how to disable corrections and dictionaries of all sorts. I'd prefer my (physical) keyboard as 'dumb' as possible, obeying only me, including no role for length and strength of key pressing, and keyboard only, meaning minimum need to finger-place a cursor at the screen.

Edit Apr 15: learned how to double-tap the pkb to move the cursor through a text!

I still hope for Scandinavian special characters (Ææ, Øø, Åå, Ää, Öö) to be enterable using keyboard only. So far, they won't whether I make Swedish or Danish primary or extra language, but I learned the cursor thing so maybe I'll learn this too - hints much appreciated.
    Lykke til med din Priv. Jeg har også en Priv. I write primarily in English on my Priv but also frequently in Norwegian. I usually do long press to bring up letter options but there are other ways. I jus haven't set them up. I know that there are some threads about Scandinavian language input. Try to find the more recent posts iof you go looking because there have been a number of software updates since the Priv was released. Early posts could be a little misleading. I will try to find some info and post a link if I find anything and someone doesn't beat me to it. Might be a day or three -- busy the rest of the weekend.
    04-15-17 11:20 AM
    I will try to find some info and post a link if I find anything and someone doesn't beat me to it. Might be a day or three -- busy the rest of the weekend.
    Thanks, no hurry! - mange tak
    04-15-17 02:27 PM

Hi again. I was able to track down the thread about typing Scandinavian characters. The question is about Swedish for the new KEYone phone but the Priv basically has the same keyboard. This thread also refers to the Priv keyboard. I hope it helps. Here is the thread. There several posts in it that are helpful, including one that is an answer to something I posted.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...485.1450426725
    04-18-17 11:57 PM
    I got mine last Friday! Haven't gotten it set up yet. I'm waiting for a free weekend (not this one!) to transfer contacts and messages from the Passport, and my glass screen shield. Looking forward to making it my daily though.
    Sigewif likes this.
    04-21-17 02:55 PM
    I got mine last Friday! Haven't gotten it set up yet. I'm waiting for a free weekend (not this one!) to transfer contacts and messages from the Passport, and my glass screen shield. Looking forward to making it my daily though.
    Congratulations. The Priv is great phone. I hope the transfer goes smoothly. I love mine. If you haven't had android before then there may be a learning curve. The keyboard, size wise compared to the Passport is a flute instead of a saxophone but it is just a matter of getting used to it. I haven't owned a Passport but obviously it is wider. I personally almost only use the PKB on my Priv.
    Rico4you likes this.
    04-22-17 01:22 AM
    Thanks! I came to the Passport from a Classic, and the Priv keyboard feels very close to that one as far as size and button position.

Far as android goes, I tried a couple phones last year which left a bad taste in my mouth, but their flaws lied with the manufacturers. Fingers crossed that Blackberry's take on it is a major step up.
    04-22-17 03:36 AM
    Thanks a lot Sigewif! Customizing Symbols is what did it, here: Customize the layout for symbols - Keyboard - latest
    found via that German discussion via your link, super - so now I'm all set.. :-D - turned these symbols: «»™¿¡ into æøåäö on the pkb.
    Last edited by sofloc; 04-22-17 at 11:59 AM.
    FF22, vptsff and Nathan Conley like this.
    04-22-17 09:44 AM
    I am going to get one this afternoon.
    Can't wait to have it on my hands.
    Using Passport now and I hope I make a right choice.
    Really I can't concentrate on anything currently. Just want time goes fast until I get my Priv!
    05-04-17 04:48 AM
    Hello all, new around here but not new to forums by any means. I just ordered my Priv yesterday because it was irresistible for $199 at B&H Photo (US). I was going to hold out for the KEYone and I may still get one later, perhaps used after a price drop, but I thought I'd start by giving the Priv a shot. 30 day return policy too so if I don't like it (too slow, overheats, creaky/squeaky build etc.) I won't have to worry about sending it back and waiting for a KEYone.

I'm currently using an iPhone 7 and I will probably keep it as I know it's going to be supported for probably 5 years or so like the 4S (2011-2016 updates) and 5 (2012-current updates) before it. But I've also owned a slew of other Android phones and iPhones going back to 2009 (still have a working *and active* 3GS and HTC Incredible).

I'll report back whenever I get it late this week! I know the SD808 isn't going to hold a candle to the A10 but I can deal with it for productivity use, no gaming to be done here. First time using a PKB since 2008 on my LG Voyager I think.
    05-23-17 09:35 AM
    Hello all, new around here but not new to forums by any means. I just ordered my Priv yesterday because it was irresistible for $199 at B&H Photo (US). I was going to hold out for the KEYone and I may still get one later, perhaps used after a price drop, but I thought I'd start by giving the Priv a shot. 30 day return policy too so if I don't like it (too slow, overheats, creaky/squeaky build etc.) I won't have to worry about sending it back and waiting for a KEYone.

I'm currently using an iPhone 7 and I will probably keep it as I know it's going to be supported for probably 5 years or so like the 4S (2011-2016 updates) and 5 (2012-current updates) before it. But I've also owned a slew of other Android phones and iPhones going back to 2009 (still have a working *and active* 3GS and HTC Incredible).

I'll report back whenever I get it late this week! I know the SD808 isn't going to hold a candle to the A10 but I can deal with it for productivity use, no gaming to be done here. First time using a PKB since 2008 on my LG Voyager I think.
    Part of the key to smooth operation on a Priv is to weekly clear the cache (or more often if you are a heavy user). Also those sync settings on your email and social media accounts can play havoc with your battery life. And finally, dark works better on Amoled screens, so whenever possible I always choose a dark wallpaper and dark theme for any apps that allow it.

The Priv is a great phone. The 808 processor is known for Heating up so your management of resources is key. Like any phone, there are unique aspects to them all.

Good luck and enjoy the Priv. It will take you a bit to relearn pkb typing, but it is a great way to type larger document accurately. Soon your muscle memory will take over and you will find a real sense of tactile enjoyment. And the BlackBerry vkb is very nice! Sure beats the apple keyboard.
    krazyatom and Nathan Conley like this.
    05-25-17 11:44 AM

Wow $199. I was about to grab one but it's all gone for $199. Congrats and just like newcollector recommended, clear the cache once in a while and you should be good.
    05-25-17 12:10 PM
    Hello all, I just got my priv finally last week, bought it used but really not complaining as I've waited so long to be able to finally get this phone, and as of right now I'm finally back to using the pkb, and it was long missed. After selling my passport and getting a nexus 5x, I've been aching for this phone, and now I have it. So glad to be back on a also!
    OrlandoAlex likes this.
    05-25-17 12:42 PM
    Damn you john chen!
    05-30-17 06:20 PM
    Greetings,

I got my Priv yesterday. It's the BBB100-3 version which is especially good here in Australia as it works with both Aussie and UK frequencies. I got it from Ozmobiles a small online seller that has a few used units left but I got the last new, sealed boxed one they had for AUD 410 (roughly 300 USD or 240 GBP @ current exchange rates.)

This thing is AWESOME! It's turned me into a Crackberry addict overnight! LOL!

My story: I've always preferred a physical keyboard. Back in the 90s I used an HP 200LX and a PSION Series 5Mx. Not phones although you could use them with dial-up modems. Actually, I think there was a version of each that was attached to a mobile phone but they were unusual and expensive and are ancient history now.

My first useful mobile phone was the Nokia E7 which had a nice slide out keyboard. It received heavy, daily use for several years until well after MS bought Nokia's phone business and dumped Symbian. I briefly used a Nokia 808 (the last Symbian phone ever which sported a 40 mega pixel camera and Pureview technology with noise canceling mics - good enough to record a rock concert and hear the music not the crowd--seriously) due to its amazing camera.

In fact just last week I resurrected my 808 and used it for basic tasks for a week or so while I was between phones waiting for my Priv to arrive.

After Symbian I reluctantly and begrudgenly went to a 'Nokia' (by then only a trade mark owned by M$) 1020 figuring 'even if it has Windows phone at least it's got the Nokia Pureview tech and camera'. To my surprise it was actually a really good phone. The system was fast , snappy and stable. The virtual keyboard was miles ahead of the ones I'd used before and I felt like I could actually live with it. The hardware was solid and Microsoft actually got the OS right for that sort of thing where you want simple, hassle free aps. (I save tinkering and customising for my desktop and laptops where I run Win7 and LINUX Mint or Ubuntu.) Although I did briefly use a NOKIA n900. It was cool running real LINUX on a phone with a PKB but the n900 didn't support all of the frequencies used in Australia and Nokia stopped supporting it around the time they got into cahoots with M$.

My 1020 received about 2 years of heavy use. Then my wife broke the screen on her 1020, she hates dealing with new models of phones, so I just gave her my 1020 and went shopping for myself :-) I got a Moto G4 plus. Decent specs for the price point of AUD 300; especially as they were clearing them out to make way for the new Moto G5s. But it was kind of awkward and yucky with a bland utilitarian feeling about it. I've always found Android a bit chaotic and have been like 'why not just use a REAL Linux instead of piling all this proprietary crap on top?! The final straw though was when I couldn't get the Moto to connect to my workplace WiFi. I returned it on day 29 for a refund.

Then I got a used Microsoft 950, the successor to the 1020. It was the flimsiest feeling so called 'flagship' phone I've ever touched. It felt like it should be a budget sub 100 dollar phone sold in supermarkets. The Win10 OS wasn't as fast and stable as the 1020's WinPhone 8. And the placement of the Microsoft logo key was such that I kept accidentally hitting it when ever I tried to type a space on the virtual keyboard thereby dumping me into the menu mid-sentence. Argh! Then I learned that MS was not going to even do updates on most of their own software and that their staff weren't even using Windows Phones anymore. Back it went.

So there I was. Windows phone was out. Linux phone wasn't really an option (ok I guess I could get a Jolla https://jolla.com/ but it's a bit pricey for the specs) I wasn't crazy about Android. I briefly considered a Nokia 6 but it's not a real Nokia anymore. No Pureview, just a generic Android phone with some Chinese company slapping the Nokia trade mark on it now that Microsoft no longer wants it. I would never in a million years consider a crapple - too proprietary and inferior specs for 3x the price - no thanks.

I noticed the Priv on sale and did a little reading. The Youtube reviews from people reporting that with all the software upgrades previous bugs such as over heating had been fixed helped to sway me. The option of having a PKB once again also helped...

Oh boy am I loving my Priv. It feels heavy and solid (but not too heavy). It feels and looks like a flagship model. It's tamed Android into somewhat of a better organised OS. It's fast, has a big beautiful screen and the virtual keyboard is great for times when I don't need a PKB. The camera is awesome. Even though it's only got 18 Mega pixels I understand that other factors now affect image quality and the photos are crisp and clear. I like the idea of enhanced security features. So far (24 hours of use) and this thing is great. I have a feeling that I'll be visiting these forums regularly over the next few months to learn new tips and tricks for getting the most out of my Priv :-)

P.S. I remain impressed by Microsoft's ability to burn 4 billion dollars into thin air while destroying a once great brand. They are now approaching dot com and/or Federal government territory.
    05-30-17 08:58 PM
    Good morning,
    priv is still a good choice?
    i found a new at&t for 225$ and i dont know if i should buy or not.
    05-31-17 08:17 AM
    Good morning,
    priv is still a good choice?
    i found a new at&t for 225$ and i dont know if i should buy or not.
    At $225 it is a steal. I wouldn't think twice.
    06-01-17 08:05 PM
    I got my BlackBerry PRIV Friday from amazon the T Mobile Version and I love it so far. coming from Blackberry Z30 and a IPhone SE.
    Rico4you likes this.
    06-05-17 08:34 PM
    anybody here interested? am selling my Priv. got the keyone now.
    06-23-17 07:33 AM
721 ... 2324252627 ...