This a new program Google started in response to the Stagefright security flaw effecting android phones . Many manufacturers like HTC scoffed at the idea of being able to push out a security update once a month. Most of these OEMs cannot get OS updates out within a year of release forget about once a month. How fast can BlackBerry work these updates into the Priv for their security conscious customers ?
    11-03-15 07:24 AM
    BlackBerry only has one phone they'll have to worry about... so starting off they should be able to keep up with Google's patch cycle, and push out those updates pretty quickly.

That is as long as the PRIV is a success and a viable product, if it doesn't sell those 5 million phones..... then support will be a big question.
    11-03-15 07:31 AM
    1-Google Play Services is becoming more and more deeply entrenched within the OS, and it gets regular updates directly from the Play Store.

2-The BlackBerry apps are also updated through the Play Store without the need to push a new OS build.

3-The benefit of running a rather stock Lollipop (soon M) is that updates will be easy to pass through BlackBerry. The carriers just need to follow suit.

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2789
    skibnik likes this.
    11-03-15 07:33 AM
    The good thing is google seems to be also patching v5.1 and not only newest v6 (Marshmallow) . So that gives BB some time to ramp up the upgrade to v6.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...es/n1aw2MGce4E

1. How do I determine if my device is updated to address these issues?

Builds LMY48X or later and Android Marshmallow with Security Patch Level of November 1, 2015 or later address these issues. Refer to the Nexus documentation for instructions on how to check the security patch level. Device manufacturers that include these updates should set the patch string level to: [ro.build.version.security_patch]:[2015-11-01]
    11-03-15 07:43 AM
    Well, its the Nexus phones that are updated monthly, then the information sent to manufacturing partners, like Samsung and now Blackberry. I am guessing we get updates every 3-6 months, especially if locked to a carrier. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.
    11-03-15 10:03 AM