Will this will be the first time (ever?) that a Priv (Shop.Blackberry) didn't get a security update for the month?
    NO, can't remember the dates or details, but sometime in 2016, BB delayed month X in order to get a 'major vulnerability' fix out and it ended up being one update for month X and Y.
    At the time, they told us what was going on, now they are back to their usual closed mouth selfs.
    11-29-17 04:35 AM
    NO, can't remember the dates or details, but sometime in 2016, BB delayed month X in order to get a 'major vulnerability' fix out and it ended up being one update for month X and Y.
    At the time, they told us what was going on, now they are back to their usual closed mouth selfs.
    Well that's actually good to hear then. 😃 If it's happened before then I'm not to concerned. I would be fine getting "two" updates in December which covered Nov and Dec. Blackberry only have 1 day left so it's now or mid / late December.
    11-29-17 12:43 PM
    My keyone is still running on September patch. Pretty disappointing
    11-29-17 12:46 PM
    Well that's actually good to hear then. ������ If it's happened before then I'm not to concerned. I would be fine getting "two" updates in December which covered Nov and Dec. Blackberry only have 1 day left so it's now or mid / late December.
    What's wrong with the first week of Dec.... in the past BlackBerry was pushing out updates at the first of the month.
    11-29-17 02:24 PM
    What's wrong with the first week of Dec.... in the past BlackBerry was pushing out updates at the first of the month.
    Interns aren't back from Thanksgiving break.....
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    11-29-17 02:38 PM
    Funny, only is Thanksgiving a Chinese or Canadian "thing".

Google > BlackBerry > BBMo. Those 1st week of the month updates were pretty much just rubber stamps. But think it's better for the OEM to test the updates with their products "a little" so a middle to end of the month update should be just fine. If there is an issue like back in July, think it better if the OEM passes on the update till the bugs get fixed the next month.
    11-29-17 03:02 PM
    Thanksgiving in Canada was last month.
    11-29-17 05:04 PM
    Thanksgiving in Canada was last month.
    Interns are from USA that are in Canada on Trump job export visa
    11-29-17 05:12 PM
    Priv updates are done. Move on if it bothers you.
    11-29-17 07:18 PM
    Priv updates are done. Move on if it bothers you.
    You're confusing updates with OS upgrades. Security updates end when Google stops supporting Marshmallow which is next year.
    bibbula likes this.
    11-30-17 01:38 PM
    Maybe BlackBerry is trying to discretely signal something here
    Ohhh seriusly!!
    like what they are trying to signal?????

Go and Buy our new Flagship device??? which is??
    cause I am confused now !!??

Motion ?? oh Please

Downgrade from Priv to motion???? NOWAY as long as it works this great slider phone will be helping on privacy and business, except a NEW PRIV 2 will be released then YES
    shout up and take my money from now!
    Last edited by Paraliotis3; 11-30-17 at 02:04 PM. Reason: λαθος γραμμένο κειμενο ευχαριστώ
    11-30-17 02:03 PM
    You're confusing updates with OS upgrades. Security updates end when Google stops supporting Marshmallow which is next year.
    No I'm not. It is my belief that security updates are finished.
    11-30-17 07:12 PM
    No I'm not. It is my belief that security updates are finished.
    Uh... Ok
    bibbula likes this.
    11-30-17 07:23 PM
    Uh... Ok
    Guess we will see in a few weeks!
    Rico4you likes this.
    11-30-17 08:25 PM
    Exactly ...we will see update come thru.
    But do share why do think security updates are finished? What info? What theory?
    11-30-17 08:40 PM
    Agreed. If we don't get a update in December then we can cautiously assume that no more security updates are coming.
    Wezard likes this.
    11-30-17 10:48 PM
    So is NOV 2017 officially the first time NO Priv (not even US BB-shop) got the monthly sec update in that specific month?

I got used we STV100-4 users were always 10days later and so were behind a month in OCT, but @JohnAtBlackBerry it makes me suspicious that I did not hear of any PRIV device with NOV patch so far
    12-01-17 01:01 AM
    Ohhh seriusly!!
    like what they are trying to signal?????

Go and Buy our new Flagship device??? which is??
    cause I am confused now !!??

Motion ?? oh Please

Downgrade from Priv to motion???? NOWAY as long as it works this great slider phone will be helping on privacy and business, except a NEW PRIV 2 will be released then YES
    shout up and take my money from now!
    I agree!!!

Posted via CB10
    12-01-17 02:46 AM
    Exactly ...we will see update come thru.
    But do share why do think security updates are finished? What info? What theory?
    I tend to agree with the suspicion that security patches for the Priv are probably finished. My reasoning is that November 2017 marks 2 years since the phone was officially released, and a 24-month software support time-frame has traditionally been a fairly common practice among the most prominent Android device vendors.

As for the theory that AOSP (aka Google) is going to stop publishing the source code for Marshmallow security patches any time in 2018... I'll believe it when I see it. I fully expect to see Marshmallow source code patches continue to be published by Google until at least the summer of 2019. That being said, I have no doubt that most, or even all, OEMs will have stopped actually publishing customer-facing releases based on these source code patches well before that.

My reasoning: November 2017 marked the first time since the beginning of the Security Bulletin program that no patches were released targeting KitKat. KitKat was superseded by Lollipop in November 2014; that means that they continued publishing patches for KitKat for an additional 3 years after the OS had officially been replaced. Nougat replaced Marshmallow in August 2016; following a similar pattern, the 3rd anniversary of Marshmallow's replacement would land around the July 2019 time frame.
    Rico4you likes this.
    12-01-17 06:40 AM
    I tend to agree with the suspicion that security patches for the Priv are probably finished. My reasoning is that November 2017 marks 2 years since the phone was officially released, and a 24-month software support time-frame has traditionally been a fairly common practice among the most prominent Android device vendors.

As for the theory that AOSP (aka Google) is going to stop publishing the source code for Marshmallow security patches any time in 2018... I'll believe it when I see it. I fully expect to see Marshmallow source code patches continue to be published by Google until at least the summer of 2019. That being said, I have no doubt that most, or even all, OEMs will have stopped actually publishing customer-facing releases based on these source code patches well before that.

My reasoning: November 2017 marked the first time since the beginning of the Security Bulletin program that no patches were released targeting KitKat. KitKat was superseded by Lollipop in November 2014; that means that they continued publishing patches for KitKat for an additional 3 years after the OS had officially been replaced. Nougat replaced Marshmallow in August 2016; following a similar pattern, the 3rd anniversary of Marshmallow's replacement would land around the July 2019 time frame.
    BlackBerry has said that the security updates will continue until sometime in 2018 with an emphasis on later in the year, not earlier. Let's just take them at their word until they prove otherwise. Either way it will be no skin off my nose. I have ordered the OnePlus 5T and it will arrive December 5.

I will support BlackBerry thru their suite of apps, but I want a phone that performs well and one that I can root if necessary to keep current on software upgrades for years to come.
    Rico4you likes this.
    12-01-17 06:59 AM
    there could be a legal issue for BlackBerry if their product is sold as new with warranty after effective end of life of updates.
    Warranty covers defects in materials and workmanship. Please show me a warranty from anyone, anywhere, that promises software updates.
    12-01-17 07:49 AM
    BlackBerry has said that the security updates will continue until sometime in 2018 with an emphasis on later in the year, not earlier. Let's just take them at their word until they prove otherwise. Either way it will be no skin off my nose. I have ordered the OnePlus 5T and it will arrive December 5.

I will support BlackBerry thru their suite of apps, but I want a phone that performs well and one that I can root if necessary to keep current on software upgrades for years to come.
    If I were BBMo/BB I'd try to get a viable replacement out for the Priv right about the time the security patches would stop for the Priv, at least not much later than such time, in order to get the most people to switch devices. The Motion doesn't really cut it as a Priv replacement spec wise, and both it and the KeyOne are a different form factor. I don't think we've seen the last of the Priv security patches yet, not until there's a new high spec slab or even perhaps a new slider (one can hope).
    12-01-17 07:55 AM

Can you please point me in the right direction to find where they said that?
    12-01-17 08:37 AM
    Can you please point me in the right direction to find where they said that?
    I believe it was Alex Thurber who said it on blog at #100 by UTB. I could be mistaken on how far into 2018, but I believe it was to be later in 2018.
    12-01-17 10:08 AM
    I believe it was Alex Thurber who said it on blog at #100 by UTB. I could be mistaken on how far into 2018, but I believe it was to be later in 2018.
    I agree .
    12-01-17 12:08 PM
70 123