Any word on a ¦ov update for Priv?
    11-25-17 04:20 PM
    The KEYone, DTEK50, DTEK60 and Motion all had them, but given the timing of the thing it might jump straight to December.
    Gigolo69 likes this.
    11-25-17 05:12 PM
    Prob won't be one, BB waited a while to release the Oct update to include the Krack fix. Not an entirely bad compromise. The Priv is a 2 year old device, no longer sold, and doesn't have much of a user base, so it's prob pretty low on BB's priority list.
    We got the Oct and part of Nov in Oct, we'll prob get the rest of Nov and Dec sometime in Dec. - Hopefully.
    11-26-17 07:45 AM
    some days before one week ago I checked my family member Dtek 60 the security update was back on 5 of september
    Priv I have the octomber 5 security update and it is the newest on STV 100-4
    11-26-17 04:03 PM
    Prob won't be one, BB waited a while to release the Oct update to include the Krack fix. Not an entirely bad compromise. The Priv is a 2 year old device, no longer sold, and doesn't have much of a user base, so it's prob pretty low on BB's priority list.
    We got the Oct and part of Nov in Oct, we'll prob get the rest of Nov and Dec sometime in Dec. - Hopefully.
    The PRIV new is still being sold at Amazon with factory warranty. BlackBerry has to stand behind those so I expect security to continue. Android will stay at 6.1 however per BlackBerry.
    11-26-17 04:09 PM
    The PRIV new is still being sold at Amazon with factory warranty.
    No it's not. Neither US or CA Amazon sites have Amazon listed as the seller.
    11-26-17 07:44 PM
    This is jgrobertson responding from my desktop - which uses the Android Center ID:

I just checked and Best Buy online is selling them and the Blackberry site shows them. The Blackberry BUY button brings up a window saying they are available at Amazon and Walmart. The ones I see on Amazon are through 3rd parties rather than Amazon itself. Some say refurbished and others not. One says US warranty and does not say refurbished.
    11-26-17 08:40 PM
    The PRIV new is still being sold at Amazon with factory warranty. BlackBerry has to stand behind those so I expect security to continue. Android will stay at 6.1 however per BlackBerry.
    Security updates can only continue (at most) until Google stops updating Marshmallow AOSP. This will happen in the Spring.
    11-26-17 10:50 PM
    Amazon.de sells the BlackBerry Priv as a prime device for €296,00 !!! So there will be security updates for a while, I hope...
    11-27-17 05:22 AM
    Back on sale at Carphone Warehouse in the UK at bargain price of ₤199.
    (Was pulled from sale at CPW earlier year just before KEYone release.)
    Mine has been brilliant so considering getting a second one for the wife.
    11-27-17 05:36 AM
    BlackBerry has to stand behind those so I expect security to continue.
    I never said security updates were no longer coming, just that I think they combined the Oct and Nov ones, and that we wouldn't be getting one for Nov.
    I'm pretty sure BB will continue security updates till Google ends updates for Marshmallow, sometime next next year. I've heard spring, fall and end of year, no idea when it will be, but they WILL end next year. Unless Google changes their mind, doubtful.
    And the fact that third parties are still selling them new, has nothing to do with it.
    jgrobertson likes this.
    11-27-17 06:52 AM
    there could be a legal issue for BlackBerry if their product is sold as new with warranty after effective end of life of updates.
    11-27-17 08:29 AM
    there could be a legal issue for BlackBerry if their product is sold as new with warranty after effective end of life of updates.
    Not if they're not selling it. Legal issue for the retailer maybe....
    11-27-17 08:35 AM
    Amazon.de sells the BlackBerry Priv as a prime device for €296,00 !!! So there will be security updates for a while, I hope...
    Amazon.es also sells directly also BlackBerry PRIV. going string!
    11-27-17 09:04 AM
    If product is sold new and sealed whats the issue? Is it mandatory by law that electronic mobile phones have to be updated? no its not. Do we really think BlackBerry would risk any type of legal action to sell devices when they longer are directly in the handset business. No way.
    Wezard likes this.
    11-27-17 09:11 AM
    if the buyer relied on a promotional statement on BlackBerry website that monthly updates were provided and the phone was bought from either of the two sources the identify then they could have some liability if updates cease soon after purchase.
    11-27-17 01:31 PM
    if the buyer relied on a promotional statement on BlackBerry website that monthly updates were provided and the phone was bought from either of the two sources the identify then they could have some liability if updates cease soon after purchase.
    CEO of BlackBerry on a number of occasions promised BB10 to PlayBook owners, some which bought heavily discounted PlayBook with that clear understanding.

What some "feel" is BlackBerry's liability... is not the same as what is legally BlackBerry's liability. Buyers have some responsibility in who they choose to do business with and what products they choose to buy. Buying a two year old heavily discounted product and thinking those promotional statements made two years ago fully apply... is naive.
    11-27-17 02:43 PM
    until This will happen in the Spring.
    Oh nooooo my phone will have warrante but not updates
    11-27-17 04:07 PM
    No, they wouldn't.

The "clock" on software updates doesn't begin when you get around to buying a device, it begins when that device model is originally released for sale. If you didn't buy it until it was 2 years old and long discontinued, that's on you. You'd be laughed out of court.

You can still find NIB Galaxy S2s. You think you're gonna sue Samsung for an Oreo update for that just because you bought it "new" today? HA!

The license agreement with every device from every company clearly states that software updates are NOT guaranteed and are released on an "as-is" basis. They pay lawyers a whole lot of money to legally protect them from such lawsuits, which is why you've never heard of one in real life, much less anyone actually winning.
    11-27-17 04:23 PM
    are there any qualified attorneys in this thread?
    11-27-17 07:37 PM
    are there any qualified attorneys in this thread?
    No need. Just plain common sense aught to take care of it.
    11-27-17 07:38 PM
    No need. Just plain common sense aught to take care of it.
    They were talking lawyers and lawsuits, whats sense, common or otherwise got to do with it?
    PHughes and Z10KW like this.
    11-27-17 08:56 PM
    They were talking lawyers and lawsuits, whats sense, common or otherwise got to do with it?
    I presume that you mean the "otherwise" to be the "non" variety. A lot of that around here, too.
    Watchdog15 likes this.
    11-27-17 09:06 PM
    Unfortunately nothing yet. Hopefully soon. The DTEK50 got it almost 3 weeks ago lol.

Will this will be the first time (ever?) that a Priv (Shop.Blackberry) didn't get a security update for the month?
    11-28-17 07:00 AM
    Unfortunately nothing yet. Hopefully soon. The DTEK50 got it almost 3 weeks ago lol.

Will this will be the first time (ever?) that a Priv (Shop.Blackberry) didn't get a security update for the month?
    Maybe BlackBerry is trying to discretely signal something here
    11-29-17 02:16 AM
70 123