10-08-15 08:06 PM
107 1234 ...
tools
    I agree with this, although I wonder if blackberry think it is ideal themselves! It may be that production/os delays meant it is releasing later than planned? I'm sure they would have loved a now-ish release
    When was the 'planned' release again? BlackBerry hasn't even officially announced the damned thing yet - how can you say that they are releasing it later than planned?

Regardless of when it's released, it's going to depend on marketing and reception for it to succeed. I'm not into marketing at all, but from my perception, it's all about the 'latest and greatest' when it comes to mobile devices. Perhaps they are actually aiming to be both and that's why they are waiting to come after the other big manufacturers release their devices. It would be smart for them to go big with the advertising and at least get the word out before the offerings from Apple and Samsung launch to make people aware that there are other players still in the ring.

We see a lot of doubt in these forums about the device, mostly because of the OS uncertainties but in the rest of the consumer market is pretty stoked about it. From a hardware exclusive point of view, it's a really awesome looking piece of kit. And from a software point of view, depending on how they implement everything, it could also be really awesome. Regardless of when it comes out, it could be the biggest hit BlackBerry has had in a long time.
    08-31-15 06:58 AM
    I think 4 GHz RAM is just perfect. Lol.

Posted via CB10
    This phone could be automatic hydromatic, systematic like greese lightning!!!!
    Xmeatizmurderx likes this.
    08-31-15 08:21 AM
    When was the 'planned' release again? BlackBerry hasn't even officially announced the damned thing yet - how can you say that they are releasing it later than planned?

Regardless of when it's released, it's going to depend on marketing and reception for it to succeed. I'm not into marketing at all, but from my perception, it's all about the 'latest and greatest' when it comes to mobile devices. Perhaps they are actually aiming to be both and that's why they are waiting to come after the other big manufacturers release their devices. It would be smart for them to go big with the advertising and at least get the word out before the offerings from Apple and Samsung launch to make people aware that there are other players still in the ring.

We see a lot of doubt in these forums about the device, mostly because of the OS uncertainties but in the rest of the consumer market is pretty stoked about it. From a hardware exclusive point of view, it's a really awesome looking piece of kit. And from a software point of view, depending on how they implement everything, it could also be really awesome. Regardless of when it comes out, it could be the biggest hit BlackBerry has had in a long time.
    Maybe some of the tech sites are excited to see what BlackBerry does..... But the consumer market???

I'm afraid most consumers still think BlackBerry is dead. And I'm afraid that there are still WAY too many UNKNOWNS about what BlackBerry is doing and how they will accomplish it.

Quality?
    Price?
    Performance (Impact of the BB Experience)?
    Gimmicks (Finger Print Reader?, Waterproof?, Full Replacement Warranty?, Stylus?)?
    Carrier Support?
    Marketing?
    Any Subscription requirements?
    Enterprise device, Prosumer device, Consumer friendly device?

I just think we have to wait and see what BlackBerry is able to do. Then see if those same tech sites are still excited when they do their reviews. And ultimately it will depend on how much Chen is willing to put behind this device..... will be time to spend some of that $3 Billion.

I do think there are some out there that miss there keyboards (more remember their Droid Sliders, than really remember what a BlackBerry is). They just don't want to compromise on something else to get it, and they have to know it's out there.
    08-31-15 08:34 AM

Posted via CB10
    3 Ghz would also be good :P

It's not about how many Ghz you have, it's how you use the memory. The Galaxy S6 Edge is terrible with memory usage. Once you load 6 apps it starts closing them and that's with 3 Ghz. Our Q5s and Leap devices with only 2 Ghz can load 8 apps no problem

Posted via CB10
    08-31-15 08:51 AM
    So the product does not have to be ready before it is released?
    Sure.

Look at how well it worked out for the PlayBook.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-15 10:11 AM
    Blackberry isn't Apple anymore. The best way to get your product out there is price. If it's priced right, then you sell product. It's that simple. So, what will the price be?

The Classic
    08-31-15 11:25 AM
    Blackberry isn't Apple anymore. The best way to get your product out there is price. If it's priced right, then you sell product. It's that simple. So, what will the price be?

The Classic
    I have hunch it's going to be expensive. $699-$799 sans contract.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-15 11:35 AM
    It's not that simple. There is no way that BlackBerry can compete on price because practically all of the competition has better economies of scale. If BlackBerry can't make the phones cheaper then how can they compete on price? Make less profit? Nobody is making any profit other than Apple and Samsung as it is.
    ayngling likes this.
    08-31-15 11:36 AM
    There is nothing late as long as it releases something before Holidays sopping, especially, before Black Friday would be cooled.
    08-31-15 11:47 AM
    You can talk all you want about what time is better for the product to be released but, the product should to be fit for purpose and Blackberry needs revenue as soon as possible.
    Smartphones unlike whisky don't get better with age.
    So release date is primarily determined by product readiness.
    There may be some small leeway to maximize the impact of the release after the product is ready.
    IMO. The Slider hybrid is an important release and BlackBerry really can't afford for this to turn into a CF. So, after it is released, expect to see pages of threads complaining about the initial OS and being buggy.......same as with other former releases. Critics are already lined up on here and elsewhere waiting to jump on the negative reviews train.
    ubizmo and DJM626 like this.
    08-31-15 11:54 AM

Posted via CB10
    RAM drains battery power too.
    08-31-15 12:02 PM
    Sadly, for my wife it will be. She usually gets my leftovers, a Torch then a Z10. With my daughter off to high school in about a week, she'll be getting the Z10 and my wife will probably opt for a Samsung. It's really too bad because she loves physical keyboards but wants to try Android. The slider looks like it might fit the bill.
    Your wife loves physical keyboards and you have been making her use a second-hand Zed for how long? LOL
    Somebody start a Kickstarter to get that poor woman a blue Classic!!
    shupor and NickMcBride like this.
    08-31-15 12:07 PM
    I also think Chen knows what he is doing. We may not necessarily agree with all he has done or is doing, but I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt as he obviously has more information and is privy to far more behind the scenes and sees the big picture better than any of us from our very limited perspective.
    You could have had said the same of the two CEO's and Thorsten Heins. Having all the relevant information doesn't mean they are making the right decision.
    08-31-15 12:43 PM
    There is never an ideal time for BlackBerry to release a device, their backs are up against the wall at all points in time. It's best they release it when it's 'ready'.
    so crow, bhrgvr and ayngling like this.
    08-31-15 02:36 PM
    • GHz is a measure of speed
    • GB is a measure of storage capacity

For example, my phone may have 3GB of memory at 2GHz. The GHz speed of memory is not used for marketing purposes, ever.

Thanks.
    Xmeatizmurderx likes this.
    08-31-15 02:39 PM
    Few things to keep in mind here folks.

All the info regarding when and wear BlackBerry will release the slider is still rumor.

With that in mind, I think it's interesting to note that Google is supposedly set to announce Android for Work. At IFA in Berlin later in September.

With the very likely possibility that BlackBerry has cooked up their own version of Android built on a QNX kernel along with the BlackBerry Productivity Suite would it not make sense for BlackBerry to surprise us at IFA and announce their Slider?

It's been pretty close or longer than 10 years since BlackBerry has been at IFA Berlin, however nothing is impossible as we have seen with all of these leaks as of late.

My prediction is that it will be a QNX based version of Android, and it will somehow be a joint release with Google. I sort of feel as if blackberry and Google are in deeper in bed together than we realize. Only time will tell. I definitely feel like this phone will be used to showcase Android For Work.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-15 02:43 PM
    The Glide (silder) is the most important device in the history of BlackBerry phones. Succeed and it's game on...fail and it's game over for that aspect of the company.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-15 02:45 PM
    Posted via CB10
    08-31-15 02:46 PM
    Since the slider is allegedly Android, wouldn't BlackBerry be better served shooting from the hip on this one?
    "B" ark?
    (Nothing to do with dogs or trees)
    StephanieMaks likes this.
    08-31-15 03:40 PM
    The product has to be ready before its released.
    Why? They did so well releasing the Playbook without mail that they are assured of success if they release it before its time.
    08-31-15 04:19 PM
    And I'm sure Z10 rebooting a few random times a day didn't hurt sales at all......

As Blaze said BlackBerry back is up against the wall... but I think Thor taught that too...
    08-31-15 04:37 PM
    This is the point I was getting at bakron1. Regardless of how long it takes to work out bugs and whatnot, it highlights poor logistics and planning if their goal is to make a legitimate run at the competition and do things differently. This phone had been rumored winter of last year and we saw a tease of it this spring......

While I can understand both arguments regarding the pitfalls of a pre or post September release, putting it out there earlier would reap more rewards IMHO.

Posted via CB10
    You failed to understand that Blackberry does not compete against Apple and Samsung. Those two sell hundreds of million of phones a year respectively, Blackberry will not affect their and its sale no matter what time frame it is releasing the new phone,.
    08-31-15 05:01 PM
    BB is making the same dumb mistakes they have been for the last 5 years or so... Everything is up in the air and their existing userbase is getting worried about their future. Nothing has changed on their PR front...

-Limbo period where existing users aren't sure about future handsets or their own handset upgrades. No real word from BB. This means a lot less people are going to buy existing BB devices because of lack of clarity and no real word on the roadmap.
    -Existing, recent handset purchases will likely get shafted on updates in the near future (assuming they aren't already), this is very BB...
    -When the new phone is released, expect unclear answers and timelines regarding any previous handsets and a general vagueness about giving up on BB10, but not fully committing to android either. Then, a year or so later, they will drop you on your face.

So here we are waiting for this magic product once again to tie all this crap together. This feels very, very familiar...
    08-31-15 05:49 PM
    Nov is for USA release, if memory serves me correctly, it's UK then Canada then the rest.
    08-31-15 06:56 PM
    You failed to understand that Blackberry does not compete against Apple and Samsung. Those two sell hundreds of million of phones a year respectively, Blackberry will not affect their and its sale no matter what time frame it is releasing the new phone,.
    The goal as I understand it is improve their handset presence, not continue on the "business as usual" route. Make sense?

Posted via CB10
    08-31-15 09:00 PM
107 1234 ...