BB is making the same dumb mistakes they have been for the last 5 years or so... Everything is up in the air and their existing userbase is getting worried about their future. Nothing has changed on their PR front...

-Limbo period where existing users aren't sure about future handsets or their own handset upgrades. No real word from BB. This means a lot less people are going to buy existing BB devices because of lack of clarity and no real word on the roadmap.
    -Existing, recent handset purchases will likely get shafted on updates in the near future (assuming they aren't already), this is very BB...
    -When the new phone is released, expect unclear answers and timelines regarding any previous handsets and a general vagueness about giving up on BB10, but not fully committing to android either. Then, a year or so later, they will drop you on your face.

So here we are waiting for this magic product once again to tie all this crap together. This feels very, very familiar...
    Since I just got the Passport SE, I'm hoping for at least 2 solid years out of it. If the Android experiment goes well, I'll revisit what BlackBerry has to offer again.... all the while not holding my breath lol.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-15 08:05 PM
    Since I just got the Passport SE, I'm hoping for at least 2 solid years out of it. If the Android experiment goes well, I'll revisit what BlackBerry has to offer again.... all the while not holding my breath lol.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, not holding your breath is the right approach to take, use it for what it is now. Expecting them to properly support existing users and not screwing people over has not turned out well for anyone in the past...
    08-31-15 08:13 PM
    Since the slider is allegedly Android, wouldn't BlackBerry be better served shooting from the hip on this one? If there's an ideal time to snatch competing OS customers, wouldn't it be prior to the announcement of their strongest offerings? So many things are coming out in September it makes you wonder if BlackBerry is happy just to net 'stragglers'.

Posted via CB10
    To some degree yes but thousands of mobile contracts expire every day and users like to buy whatever is "newest". The Slider is also part PKB it will attract specific users
    08-31-15 08:24 PM
    My guess is that Blackberry may have run into some snag, maybe they are still talking with google about full google play store, and if their version of the OS falls into google's guidelines to run full google play store. If not they would have to make modifications. They can't just go ahead and release the slider until they have all the ducks lined up. Can you imagine what would happen if they released the slider and Google pulled the plug them! The hardware is ready,for sure since we have seen may leaks, showing off the slider. If that's the case it would be better to release in November.
    chenageddon likes this.
    08-31-15 09:10 PM
    If the slider uses Android I don't care if they ever release it.
    yup. just wait to see what comes next BB10-wise, if anything.
    08-31-15 09:48 PM
    IMO. The Slider hybrid is an important release and BlackBerry really can't afford for this to turn into a CF. So, after it is released, expect to see pages of threads complaining about the initial OS and being buggy.......same as with other former releases. Critics are already lined up on here and elsewhere waiting to jump on the negative reviews train.
    hopefully those threads stay on android central. considering it is their OS.
    acovey likes this.
    08-31-15 09:51 PM
    According to many they are not a phone/handset company. Phone release dates are not important to a company that isn't a phone company.

Posted via Z30
    08-31-15 09:55 PM
    Mostly, you need your product message to rise above the din: BB has to steer clear of iPhone hype in the same way that movie studios try to avoid releasing competing moves of similar genre in the same weekend: people who would realistically consider a BB device over an iPhone 6S are not going to buy an iPhone 6S knowing the Slider is coming out a month later.... Or, they'll buy both.

A BB Slider running android isn't going to make vast numbers of iPhone 6s owners go "oh, crap, I wish I didn't buy this thing I knew exactly what it was before I bought it, because this thing I never heard of by a company I thought was bankrupt just came out! IPooh!"
    08-31-15 10:24 PM
    I have hunch it's going to be expensive. $699-$799 sans contract.

Posted via CB10
    I would never pay that for a Android phone, actually I would NEVER by a Android phone PERIOD.
    09-01-15 12:40 AM
    To some degree yes but thousands of mobile contracts expire every day and users like to buy whatever is "newest". The Slider is also part PKB it will attract specific users
    Plus mobile contracts at least in the States are changing to what amounts to perpetual renting where changing devices mid-contract doesn't incur the hit to the pocketbook.
    09-01-15 12:52 AM
    I remember a few years back before the Z10 and Q10 were announced and everyone was bitc.... complaining about them not being made available for the "important" Christmas period.
    Now, (for some reason which escapes me) people are complaining that November (so in time for the "important" Christmas period) is somehow too late.

Maybe everyone here with the marketing and consumer research can just tell us what it says... oh, no wait, you don't have it. You're just venting without any actual research to back up your opinions.

Si.
    09-01-15 07:01 AM
    I remember a few years back before the Z10 and Q10 were announced and everyone was bitc.... complaining about them not being made available for the "important" Christmas period.
    Now, (for some reason which escapes me) people are complaining that November (so in time for the "important" Christmas period) is somehow too late.

Maybe everyone here with the marketing and consumer research can just tell us what it says... oh, no wait, you don't have it. You're just venting without any actual research to back up your opinions.

Si.
    There is a reason why Apple and Samsung release major devices end of summer, and why they sell lots of devices after the initial release and through the holiday season. There is a reason why BB10 and the Z10 were supposed to launch at the end of summer 2012, and why pushing back to January through March of 2013 was viewed as a huge gaff. You have to get the product out, get it desired, and have people wanting it as gift or people want to give it as a gift. A November launch is certainly better than a December or post holiday launch, but the sooner the better to get it in people's minds that they want the phone far enough in advance. You don't want initial launch demand to create product shortages during the holiday season, because after the holidays people don't have the money to spend and they won't give IOU's, they will get something else that is available.

Posted via Z30
    09-01-15 07:30 AM
    I would never pay that for a Android phone, actually I would NEVER by a Android phone PERIOD.
    Yea I know, you've been saying that on practically every slider thread lol.

Posted via CB10
    MO3iusONE and ayngling like this.
    09-01-15 08:27 AM
    Yea I know, you've been saying that on practically every slider thread lol.

Posted via CB10
    While the rest state the opposite on every thread. What's your point?

Posted via CB10
    09-01-15 08:59 AM
    BBRY releasing before the others might seem like a good strategy but I have my doubts. The mass media will simply look past BBRY and speculate on the Apple/Android offerings. I think with the release of the new DroidBerry, we will see Chen ramp up the marketing - having the "best" of both worlds. I also think Chen knows what he is doing. We may not necessarily agree with all he has done or is doing, but I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt as he obviously has more information and is privy to far more behind the scenes and sees the big picture better than any of us from our very limited perspective.
    Have to agree in principle to this. Unless we have all the info of what is happening with phone development and production, testing and stock availability, then all the speculation and opinions are meaningless.

Posted via CB10
    09-01-15 09:30 AM
    There is a reason why Apple and Samsung release major devices end of summer, and why they sell lots of devices after the initial release and through the holiday season. There is a reason why BB10 and the Z10 were supposed to launch at the end of summer 2012, and why pushing back to January through March of 2013 was viewed as a huge gaff. You have to get the product out, get it desired, and have people wanting it as gift or people want to give it as a gift. A November launch is certainly better than a December or post holiday launch, but the sooner the better to get it in people's minds that they want the phone far enough in advance. You don't want initial launch demand to create product shortages during the holiday season, because after the holidays people don't have the money to spend and they won't give IOU's, they will get something else that is available.

Posted via Z30
    Consumers buy a lot in Oct - Dec period.

Some corporations buy a lot in Dec (taxes).

Best option is to have a product out and in stores by October.... but with the switch to Android and needing to get the BlackBerry Experience working.... that takes time (surprised if they have it done by Nov). Also you have to schedule production with these 3rd party manufactures, who are most likely booked with all sorts of gadgets and gizmos being made for the holidays.
    09-01-15 09:37 AM
    Consumers buy a lot in Oct - Dec period.

Some corporations buy a lot in Dec (taxes).

Best option is to have a product out and in stores by October.... but with the switch to Android and needing to get the BlackBerry Experience working.... that takes time (surprised if they have it done by Nov). Also you have to schedule production with these 3rd party manufactures, who are most likely booked with all sorts of gadgets and gizmos being made for the holidays.
    US Government buys a lot in August to clear out the books by September 30th. Lots of crazy spending then, then it's tight until the following May usually.

Posted via Z30
    Last edited by lnichols; 09-01-15 at 02:57 PM.
    09-01-15 09:43 AM
    While the rest state the opposite on every thread. What's your point?

Posted via CB10
    What's your point? I was responding directly to him as a jest, not you.

Posted via CB10
    09-01-15 10:29 AM
    There is a reason why Apple and Samsung release major devices end of summer, and why they sell lots of devices after the initial release and through the holiday season.
    Posted via Z30
    I'm sorry, but what are you talking about? Samsung's flagship device, the Galaxy S6, was launched at the beginning of April.

Announced at Mobile World Congress at the beginning of March and launched a month later.

And although I get your point, it doesn't really answer the question I asked.

But thanks for bringing up your points.

Si.
    09-01-15 03:02 PM
    There are a lot of people saying they hope the phone should run smoothly, not have any bugs, or to the extent it better not have any issues. Chen doesn't seem to be someone who has a knee jerk reaction to things. He has a process and doesn't deviate from that process. Will the phone have bugs? Probably. The consumer will do things to a phone researchers, developers and technicians would never do. Consumers consume. We aren't in it for the money. That said, how long do you think Chen has been working on this project? I would say it's been in the works about 2 months before or after he became CEO. He saw something in BlackBerry that he could better by getting involved. I think this is one of the steps to making BlackBerry a better and more valuable company.

The Classic
    09-01-15 03:10 PM
    In general I'd say the sooner the better but make sure the device is ready for the market.

The device is really going to be in the spotlights when it comes out so BlackBerry cannot allow themselves to fail on this one.

Posted via CB10
    09-01-15 03:12 PM
    What's your point? I was responding directly to him as a jest, not you.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah I know that. My point was made already. Calm down killer. ;-)

Posted via CB10
    09-01-15 07:09 PM
    I for one enjoy my passport like life depended on it but I do enjoy testing this new Google/blackberry baby. If blackberry made it I want to give it a try. Google platform is nice. All OS have there strength. But this "Venice " looking like a real winner to me

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    09-01-15 07:16 PM
    Yeah I know that. My point was made already. Calm down killer. ;-)

Posted via CB10
    Lol I'm calm, just saying

Posted via CB10
    extisis likes this.
    09-01-15 08:25 PM

Si.
    It's not really a rant. It is a question that deserves healthy discussion. Should movie reviews only be done by script writers and directors? My lean is no.

Posted via CB10
    09-01-15 08:26 PM
107 12345