Someone inside BB Support today and was told that September 2017 is a possible launch date for Nougat on BB Priv
    At the moment, at least for me, Marshmallow on the Priv is working really well. so I'm not 'chomping at the bit' for Nougat. It was a really big improvement over Lollipop. I wouldn't be too concerned with the launch date being 'Sept', i personally don't think thats an accurate timeframe.

Latest in my mind would be 'May' for all unlocked devices and then depends on how quick your carrier is. Nougat is on less than 2% maybe 2.5% of devices at the moment.
    03-17-17 11:04 AM
    I think they have to, otherwise unless it's rooted they can't access the said function.

That's why some apps annoyingly doesn't start, either crash outright as it wasn't coded to request permission properly, or just lock you at the splash screen and nag you until you do.
    Afaik they cannot access the function at all if you revoke a permission.

Apps that crash because of it are the ones that are built for older versions of Android (or the developer is simply a fool) so they don't know what do to if you don't allow their usage of a permission.
    03-17-17 11:47 AM
    i am just hoping that the nougat update, if it ever comes to the priv, adds some speed to the device.

these regular security updates are a good gesture form blackberry, but they are not helping my device to perform better, in fact my device is becoming slower with every security update, such is my experience until now
    03-17-17 11:47 AM
    Afaik they cannot access the function at all if you revoke a permission.

Apps that crash because of it are the ones that are built for older versions of Android (or the developer is simply a fool) so they don't know what do to if you don't allow their usage of a permission.
    No, I've seen very recent apps that crashes too. Unless they are targeting and coding it for older versions, but it's not in their interest to really fix it, if they are after the telemetry, they just tell you to enable the permission or shut up.
    03-17-17 11:51 AM
    No, I've seen very recent apps that crashes too. Unless they are targeting and coding it for older versions, but it's not in their interest to really fix it, if they are after the telemetry, they just tell you to enable the permission or shut up.
    That's why I say there's the possibility of the developer being a fool. A decent developer will provide dialogs explaining why the app needs a permission, work around it, i.e. program alternate limited functionality code if it isn't essential etc. A lazy one will just let the app crash and let the user deal with it, but I don't remember seeing those lately.
    FF22 likes this.
    03-17-17 12:08 PM
    Yeah despite the delay, I'm still confident that we'll see Nougat coming to our Priv. We just need to be patience this time.

And perhaps.. STV 3 will be the first one to receive, considering there's a speculation that we'll never receive the March patch? 😃😃 I haven't received mine until now. So weird for BBRY.
    03-17-17 06:35 PM
    I have to say, the more time passes the more I am OK without nougat, but then I just remember the fact that lollipop was the OS on this device when it was released and at that time it was behind the times then. Marshmallow was on just about all CURRENT phones being released at the time. And most phones get at least two OS upgrades in their life. However if they get marshmallow running FLAWLESSLY I'm good, but somehow I doubt that. What say you?
    03-18-17 12:57 AM
    Oh dear, this thread is starting to give me flashbacks to my Playbook ownership days, and not in a good way...
    03-25-17 01:57 PM
    Oh dear, this thread is starting to give me flashbacks to my Playbook ownership days, and not in a good way...
    Thanks for reminding me. I should really hook up my second Playbook to a charger so that I don't have to figure out Stack Charging (oh, what is poor scheme they used on the Playbook). The Primary PB is also on the charger. Uh, oh, where did I stash it during my last vacation!!!!!!

Edited to add: just in the nick of time - Battery was 6%. And it does not seem to recognize the magnetic charger so using usb - official Playbook charger I've used on all subsequent BB phones up to the current model Priv.
    03-25-17 02:41 PM
    I hope everybody relaxes as I think everyone will be pleasantly surprised when they do release it.

Keep in mind that the Priv was mostly successful with the enterprise and some high valued BlackBerry loyalists so I don't see BlackBerry trying to **** off additional enterprise clients.

I do think that Android N is probably the last update the Priv will get though as it will be 2 years old come the fall and will have been supported for that long. Considering the security commitment BlackBerry has made to its Android users, I don't see them leaving a lot of enterprise clients hanging onto BlackBerry Priv's without the latest software and security updates.

Just my thought but I am no expert, still rocking a Passport

Posted via CB10
    1dat2 likes this.
    03-25-17 02:46 PM
    I had my Playbook on the charging base on a table next to the door so I could quickly check the weather and whatnot before going out, but it's been unplugged for a bit since I moved the Keurig over there and needed the outlet.

I 'spose I could always put it next to the bed and switch it to alarm clock duty.
    03-25-17 02:48 PM
    I had my Playbook on the charging base on a table next to the door so I could quickly check the weather and whatnot before going out, but it's been unplugged for a bit since I moved the Keurig over there and needed the outlet.

I 'spose I could always put it next to the bed and switch it to alarm clock duty.
    THANKS. If you read my edited reply above, it was just at 6% so really did not topping it off again before I leave it for the next year!

I still use my "primary" Playbook when cooking as I have recipes on it. Ah, nostalgia!!!
    03-25-17 02:53 PM
    I don't think they'll wait that long. But I wouldn't be completely surprised either considering how well they've supported their software and devices till now.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-17 06:13 PM
    i am just hoping that the nougat update, if it ever comes to the priv, adds some speed to the device.
    Don't count on it.

If you want a faster experience factory reset your Priv or get a new phone
    03-26-17 10:03 AM
    I have to say, the more time passes the more I am OK without nougat, but then I just remember the fact that lollipop was the OS on this device when it was released and at that time it was behind the times then. Marshmallow was on just about all CURRENT phones being released at the time. And most phones get at least two OS upgrades in their life. However if they get marshmallow running FLAWLESSLY I'm good, but somehow I doubt that. What say you?
    I don't care that much either. My Priv will be replaced in 12-15 months anyway. Nought will not change my life. It would be a nice touch to get it I suppose.
    FF22 likes this.
    03-26-17 10:05 AM
    Well, the KeyOne is known to have much better software performance, having a processor that has about the same power as the 808. So a faster and more optimized experience with Android 7.0 not only is expected, I would way it's almost mandatory. There's no reason for the Key1 to be any faster than the priv under the same software build.
    03-26-17 02:56 PM
    Yesterday I had to Stop my car on the side of the highway because my phone freezed and I needed the GPS... That's how good is performance on the priv... Sometimes I feel like throwing the bloody damn phone. Never had those issues with BB10 running much slower hardware
    werkregen and jhonatan271092 like this.
    03-26-17 02:57 PM
    The only thing that blows my mind is that BlackBerry say they're now a software company. Any reasonable person would think they'd hurry up and release, you know, an OS, which is....software!

On a serious note, I don't mind waiting a little longer but I expected BlackBerry to be quick with stuff like this when they transitioned.
    1dat2 likes this.
    03-26-17 03:49 PM
    So far from what I've read about android O it doesn't seem that impressive. I would be good with N if or when it comes.
    03-26-17 04:41 PM
    Soon, later, later this year, fiscal year.

via Q10
    03-26-17 05:23 PM
    Yesterday I had to Stop my car on the side of the highway because my phone freezed and I needed the GPS... That's how good is performance on the priv... Sometimes I feel like throwing the bloody damn phone. Never had those issues with BB10 running much slower hardware
    Never had that problem on any of my BlackBerry Android devices.
    03-26-17 05:26 PM
    I have always wondered if all the complaining I have seen over the years on Crackberry is one of the reasons so many people stayed away from Blackberry, dissuading people from buying one themselves. We have phones that work very well, and yet there is constant complaining that they Blackberry hasn't done this, or hasn't done that. When I compare what Blackberry does with regards to updates, compared to what I experience with my wife's Samsung, there is no comparison. Blackberry supports phones longer than Samsung does, from my experience. For me, my Priv works, very well, I am sure at some point it will get Nougat, but at the moment, no app I need is requiring it, so I have no issues.If for some reason I had Nougat right now, I am sure I have some apps that would not function properly with it, because they have not yet been updated to work well with Nougat, so I'm fine.
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    03-26-17 08:23 PM
    Well, the KeyOne is known to have much better software performance, having a processor that has about the same power as the 808. So a faster and more optimized experience with Android 7.0 not only is expected, I would way it's almost mandatory. There's no reason for the Key1 to be any faster than the priv under the same software build.
    Wow! Did you keep your phone warm until you wanted to use it? Like under all your clothing?

I've used my priv here in temps around 43C, outdoors,and it’s worked flawlessly, different end of extreme I know, but still extreme. And there was no possible way to keep my phone cooler than I was, lol.
    03-26-17 08:29 PM
    Never had that problem on any of my BlackBerry Android devices.
    I've not had that issue with my priv either
    Sigewif likes this.
    03-26-17 08:42 PM
    Same here! My PRIV working very very smooth!
    03-28-17 12:12 PM
933 ... 45678 ...