But they're not required to get deep in the details and explain where the potential or actual best profits come from.

Posted via CB10
    I didn't say they were but they did for BBM.
    05-22-17 10:37 PM
    Year end statements. Two entries - software and services, and hardware. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...d55cca2f1a.jpg
    Yes which they break down usually with UEM activations, etc. Point being, if there was anything of significance they would certainly talk about it as they did with BBM and the 226 million or whatever that licence fee was.
    05-22-17 10:38 PM
    I can see a business case for potentially not upgrading their devices to Android N as to not impact sales of the Keyone and other devices in the future, it seems odd to NOT do it.

TCL/BlackBerry Mobile are licensing design and other items from BlackBerry and paying them a royalty while BlackBerry will provide their "BlackBerry special sauce secure software"

If I am BlackBerry Mobile and looking to expand my sales to prosumers, government and corporate clients, how would I approach an existing BlackBerry account and sell this to them?

"Hi, remember those devices you bought from BlackBerry a year ago? Well they no longer will be getting new software updates but we are offering you a chance to buy a BlackBerry Keyone from BlackBerry Mobile. This device runs the latest version of Android with BlackBerry providing monthly secure software patches and will include software updates direct from BlackBerry"

From a consumer and enterprise prospective, clients don't care about BlackBerry, BlackBerry Mobile or TCL licensing agreements. They purchased a device with the name BlackBerry on it and wanted their software and security for their devices.

I would hope that the Priv and DTEK series gets at least the N update and that should be good for the time being. The entire goal from both BlackBerry and BlackBerry MOBILE perspective is to grow the brand, keep BlackBerry branded devices in the market place and have everybody make money for the long term.

I guess we will see soon!

Posted via CB10
    FF22, bibbula, xandros9 and 1 others like this.
    05-22-17 11:26 PM
    Does anyone know how long Google continues to release sec patches for older AOSP OS versions? Usually they discontinue support of nexus devices if those legacy devices don't get the next OS update (see Nexus 5 stuck on MM with no more sec patches).

This could be an argument for BlackBerry to update to N cause if sec patches are not coming for M anymore those "new" DTEK60 are not "the securest Android" anymore. Perhaps that's the negotiation with Google and Qualcomm.

[UPDATE] OK I see even 4.4 is still provided with sec patches by Google in 2017. So this is sadly no argument for BlackBerry to update to N, as M will have support till 2019 if it has at least the same 4 year sec patch support by google:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_version_history
    05-22-17 11:53 PM
    Well, we have certainly settled this argument.

The Priv will either get Nougat or it won't get Nougat.

Next thread!
    05-23-17 12:02 AM

Next thread!
    You a fool. 😂
    05-23-17 12:29 AM

Next thread!
    I totally disagree! The Priv either won't get Nougat or it will get Nougat.
    FF22 and 1dat2 like this.
    05-23-17 06:26 AM
    I totally disagree! The Priv either won't get Nougat or it will get Nougat.
    I guess we will have to agree to disagree. And see who is right eventually.
    1dat2 likes this.
    05-23-17 08:14 AM
    I guess we will have to agree to disagree. And see who is right eventually.
    Totally agree!
    FF22 likes this.
    05-23-17 08:31 AM

Next thread!
    This is all true!
    05-23-17 09:49 AM

Next thread!
    This a tautology.
    05-23-17 01:20 PM
    This a tautology.
    Is that the study of tightness?

We could actually definitively state that the Priv is going to get N....either Nougat or Nothing!
    Last edited by newcollector; 05-23-17 at 03:32 PM.
    FF22 likes this.
    05-23-17 01:30 PM
    Has anyone seen this link claiming to have Nougat for Priv? Seems too shady to be legit. Download ROM Android 7.0 Nougat For BlackBerry Priv | Update-nougat.org

My Classic is crapping out on me big time and I need to get something asap. Wondering if I should buy a priv for $279 on amazon or one of the newer, cheaper, androids with Nougat from T-Mobile in the $150-$175 range.
    05-23-17 04:42 PM
    Has anyone seen this link claiming to have Nougat for Priv? Seems too shady to be legit. Download ROM Android 7.0 Nougat For BlackBerry Priv | Update-nougat.org

My Classic is crapping out on me big time and I need to get something asap. Wondering if I should buy a priv for $279 on amazon or one of the newer, cheaper, androids with Nougat from T-Mobile in the $150-$175 range.
    Link is spam.
    xandros9 likes this.
    05-23-17 04:51 PM
    To be totally honest, I see September as a plausible date for Priv getting nougat, Remember the 10.3.3 incident.... I would say that they are taking their time to deliver a unbeatable release, but my bet is that we Will get Android 7.0 (not 7.1.2), and it Will be buggy as hell, in fact, i even expect them to release in October and probably november, Hope I get proven wrong
    05-23-17 06:12 PM
    Just picking this back up - I tweeted both BlackberryMobile and BlackberryHelp yesterday evening and got a single reply from BlackberryHelp (I never hear back from BlackberryMobile). I asked them to provide some more clarity around when we can expect to receive Nougat for the PRIV as it's getting a bit ridiculous now - the update is rolling out to phones that are a quarter of the price. Same response as always: "we're not releasing any details of future updates at the moment."

I feel that collectively we've got a strong voice from these forums and if we all hit social media with our frustration and demand some answers perhaps then Blackberry would tell us either way what their support plan is for the PRIV.

Thoughts?
    Uzi, FF22, anon(10218918) and 1 others like this.
    06-21-17 01:08 AM
    If BlackBerry had a plan for the Priv we'd all know. Keep up the pressure, though. It could amount to something positive.

Posted via BlackBerry® Classic SQC-100 / 10.3.3.1463
    06-21-17 01:15 AM
    i am not expecting much. i will use my super slow priv for another couple of months after which i will probably move to another company, as i presume that the keyone will suffer a similar fate. i have lost trust in blackberry after they provided so less support for the expensive priv, making it probably the slowest android device in its price class
    Uzi likes this.
    06-21-17 06:49 AM
    Jinxman, I don't think my Priv is slow, but it is the only Android device I have ever owned. I have nothing to compare it to. But next year I am looking to move to the OnePlus 5. Hope I am not making a mistake, because it has been a BlackBerry in my hand for quite years now.
    06-21-17 08:06 AM
    Agree. Actually my PRIV bought June 2016 is running better than ever after all updates received to date from when I first turned it on. Yes have done after investigating what I call Android running : putting animations at. 5x, clearing cache when reaching 1gb, 32 second reset, etc and some more things. This is something have to accept with Android.

Posted via CB10
    johnsliderbb likes this.
    06-21-17 08:36 AM
    As we are now getting closer to September, has anyone heard anything to confirm or deny the statements made in the first post?
    06-21-17 08:54 AM
    Just that BlackBerry will not confirm or deny Nougat for the Priv or the DTEK50 or DTEK60.

CBK supposedly sent something off to find out from John Chen. Haven't heard the answer.
    chuckiev79 likes this.
    06-27-17 11:46 AM
    Just that BlackBerry will not confirm or deny Nougat for the Priv or the DTEK50 or DTEK60.

CBK supposedly sent something off to find out from John Chen. Haven't heard the answer.
    Or they don't want to risk the response affecting KEYone sales negatively.
    bluetroll and krazyatom like this.
    06-27-17 12:33 PM
    Or they don't want to risk the response affecting KEYone sales negatively.
    My money is on this... N is most likely not coming to any of the previous devices. If they straight out say that it's not coming, buyers will lose major confidence in the KEYone affecting sales.
    06-27-17 01:47 PM
    Would feel cheated if N isnt available for Priv, might be the last of over a dozen BlackBerry phones in life

Posted via CB10
    krazyatom likes this.
    06-27-17 01:51 PM
933 ... 1516171819 ...