My money is on this... N is most likely not coming to any of the previous devices. If they straight out say that it's not coming, buyers will lose major confidence in the KEYone affecting sales.
    Exactly! People keep defending N not coming to the older devices, but it hurts the BlackBerry name, which leads to even fewer people buying in the future. Die hard fans will leave and potential new customers will choose other brands over BlackBerry. Just because they left hardware doesn't excuse the lack of software support for their devices.
    06-27-17 04:01 PM
    Just that BlackBerry will not confirm or deny Nougat for the Priv or the DTEK50 or DTEK60.

CBK supposedly sent something off to find out from John Chen. Haven't heard the answer.
    I bet my arm and leg that if there was 7.0 in the horizon, BB would be the first interested in letting their costomers know. Again, it's what every other manufacturer does, release a schedule of updates even when it's a few months down the line
    Bostil1987 and Bay 13 like this.
    06-27-17 04:28 PM
    When you buy any future BlackBerry Android devices, don't expect any OS updates. That will make your decision a lot easier when you're market for a new phone.
    Joao Oliveira and kbz1960 like this.
    06-27-17 04:47 PM
    When you buy any future BlackBerry Android devices, don't expect any OS updates. That will make your decision a lot easier when you're market for a new phone.
    No more word needed.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-27-17 05:43 PM
    Sad, but true.

Still - fingers crossed for Priv Nougat update.

There is no other device on the market (even the KEYone with lower spec and worse look) that would allow me to run remote desktop on full screen and use the keyboard at once (a screen larger than Keyone's).

Ability to run two apps side by side would be huuuuge for Priv. It would be so superior, I would even make 10 Youtube videos myself to advertise this device and show it's the best handheld for productivity.

It's such an opportunity even for BB to create a short video or just a blog post about how a device from 2015 got an update that makes it better than all 2017 smartphones.
    06-27-17 08:47 PM
    Sad, but true.

There is no other device on the market (even the KEYone with lower spec and worse look) that would allow me to run remote desktop on full screen and use the keyboard at once (a screen larger than Keyone's).

Ability to run two apps side by side would be huuuuge for Priv. It would be so superior, I would even make 10 Youtube videos myself to advertise this device and show it's the best handheld for productivity.

It's such an opportunity even for BB to create a short video or just a blog post about how a device from 2015 got an update that makes it better than all 2017 smartphones.
    Not gonna happen. If you want 7, buy a KEYone. If you don't want a KEYone, buy something else, but don't waste your time on something that's just not going to happen.
    06-27-17 08:54 PM
    Is there anyone on the thread that can comment on the amount of effort that is actually required to go into deploying a new version of Android onto an existing device? I know from some tech talks that it's not straightforward - ie. not a case of just packaging up the new code with a few drivers and then deploying. However, given that BlackBerry have got Nougat running on the KeyOne (with all their kernel hardening etc.) what would the extra effort be to port this over to the PRIV? How many devs? Number of days worth of work?
    06-28-17 12:04 AM
    Yeah, it would be strange if BB decided to deploy it and trigger new support costs for all the new bugs they would create in the Nougat distribution, for a phone they can't even hope to sell more, if they stopped manufacturing it.
    Monthly security updates and weekly BB apps updates is already great
    06-28-17 03:49 AM
    A specific Japan edition of PRIV actively being sold in Japan.
    06-28-17 03:53 AM
    Is there anyone on the thread that can comment on the amount of effort that is actually required to go into deploying a new version of Android onto an existing device? I know from some tech talks that it's not straightforward - ie. not a case of just packaging up the new code with a few drivers and then deploying. However, given that BlackBerry have got Nougat running on the KeyOne (with all their kernel hardening etc.) what would the extra effort be to port this over to the PRIV? How many devs? Number of days worth of work?
    Many people here on the forum "claim" its A LOT of work, with no evidence whatsoever.
    xandros9 likes this.
    06-28-17 08:37 AM
    Yeah, it would be strange if BB decided to deploy it and trigger new support costs for all the new bugs they would create in the Nougat distribution, for a phone they can't even hope to sell more, if they stopped manufacturing it.
    Monthly security updates and weekly BB apps updates is already great
    Iphone 5S was released in 2013, it was discountinued late 2015. They are not selling anymore for how many time? Guess what, still being updated to the newest iOS 11 in september 2017.

Find another excuse mate, Security and app updates it's not "great" that's just "standard"
    xandros9 and Bay 13 like this.
    06-28-17 08:44 AM
    Iphone 5S was released in 2013, it was discountinued late 2015. They are not selling anymore for how many time? Guess what, still being updated to the newest iOS 11 in september 2017.

Find another excuse mate, Security and app updates it's not "great" that's just "standard"
    There is no one to pay for the Nougat update for the PRIV or DTEK. Unless BBMo feels that it matters to donate to Nougat charity. The phones didn't sell well, so they were dropped and their seller of record closed down.
    krazyatom likes this.
    06-28-17 09:03 AM
    Sad, but true.

Well yes, but what's in it for BlackBerry?
    These days, they are only interested in getting a licensing royalty from TCL selling Keyones, and improving the Priv or the Dteks won't help that.

Still waiting for Chen's reply to Kevin's email.

Posted from my indestructible BlackBerry PlayBook™
    06-28-17 12:14 PM
    Yeah that helps... If people will do some research about how BlackBerry is updating their devices, they will sell less KEYone's.. BlackBerry has to stand up and make clear what's going on.

I hoped that CrackBerry had the answer since its the official BlackBerry forums. So far, i still have my fingers crossed and still hoping for an update to Nougat.
    06-28-17 01:59 PM
    Yeah that helps... If people will do some research about how BlackBerry is updating their devices, they will sell less KEYone's.. BlackBerry has to stand up and make clear what's going on.

I hoped that CrackBerry had the answer since its the official BlackBerry forums. So far, i still have my fingers crossed and still hoping for an update to Nougat.
    What? Please explain or go into more detail.....
    06-28-17 02:10 PM
    What? Please explain or go into more detail.....
    About what? That the DTEK's didn't get an software upgrade? Or the Priv had an upgrade to Marshmallow, but it can run Nougat and it's still not here. If the KEYone haves the same future. People won't buy it.
    xandros9 likes this.
    06-28-17 02:16 PM
    About what? That the DTEK's didn't get an software upgrade? Or the Priv had an upgrade to Marshmallow, but it can run Nougat and it's still not here. If the KEYone haves the same future. People won't buy it.
    Make a business case to BBMo to pay for OS upgrades to phones they didn't sell you. Make a business case for BB to upgrade phones even though BB exited hardware and isn't legally required or financially incentivized to do so. BBMo would rather you buy a KEYone, they don't make any money providing you an upgrade on a phone they didn't sell you. This sounds like all the BB10 complaints.

For the record, I own all three phones, PRIV and DTEK. I would love free Nougat upgrade. As shareholder, I expect BB to not have poor decision that loses money.

All the failed Android devices from various OEM's never get upgrade and why should all three of BB failed Android devices be any different.

Like move to BB10, BBMo is taking care of their new customers and not worried about somebody else's old customers looking for handouts.
    06-28-17 02:57 PM
    Make a business case to BBMo to pay for OS upgrades to phones they didn't sell you. Make a business case for BB to upgrade phones even though BB exited hardware and isn't legally required or financially incentivized to do so. BBMo would rather you buy a KEYone, they don't make any money providing you an upgrade on a phone they didn't sell you. This sounds like all the BB10 complaints.

For the record, I own all three phones, PRIV and DTEK. I would love free Nougat upgrade. As shareholder, I expect BB to not have poor decision that loses money.

All the failed Android devices from various OEM's never get upgrade and why should all three of BB failed Android devices be any different.

Like move to BB10, BBMo is taking care of their new customers and not worried about somebody else's old customers looking for handouts.
    What other "failed" Android devices are you talking about? LG G5 (considered a big fail) is receiving Android 8.0 for example.

HTC A9 isn't exactly a sales success, came out at same time as the priv, but got 7.0 early this year
    krazyatom, xandros9 and Bay 13 like this.
    06-28-17 05:13 PM
    The Nextbit Robin was a huge sales flop and the team got bought out by a new company but they are sitting high and pretty on 7.1. They are not even going to make another phone, and have for all intents and purposes exited the hardware business. What business sense does it make them to update their phone? Probably none but they have committed to updates until Feb 2018. Can't be too expensive to update to nougat if Nextbits tiny little team can do it in such short order.
    xandros9 likes this.
    06-28-17 05:22 PM
    What other "failed" Android devices are you talking about? LG G5 (considered a big fail) is receiving Android 8.0 for example.

HTC A9 isn't exactly a sales success, came out at same time as the priv, but got 7.0 early this year
    You forgot nextbit robin. Nextbit probably sold less than keyone and it received nougat.
    xandros9 likes this.
    06-28-17 05:24 PM
    You forgot nextbit robin. Nextbit probably sold less than keyone and it received nougat.
    I can't wait for the KEYone to get stuck on nougat and the cheerleaders come out of the woodwork again to defend TCL and Blackberry. Then reiterate that BlackBerry Mobile and Blackberry are two separate companies. Round and round we go. Point is, if you want a phone that's going to be supported then avoid any blackberry branded phone. The Aurora has to made it clear that BlackBerry doesn't care to update their licensed phones with security updates if the licensee doesn't demand it. Sure TCL could have specified how much support they wanted for the device, but they don't have a great track record for support either. Best err on the side of caution.
    krazyatom, xandros9 and bibbula like this.
    06-28-17 05:44 PM
    BlackBerry makes money on software, blackberry mobile is a separate company. So if they give me nougat, i will longer use my Priv and than i will buy the Priv 2. If they don't give upgrades, i am not gonna buy a BlackBerry anymore, and so i am not using their software anymore. And they need people who are using their software.
    06-29-17 04:20 AM
    The Aurora has to made it clear that BlackBerry doesn't care to update their licensed phones with security updates if the licensee doesn't demand it.
    Chen actually made this clear on day one when he announced the licencing that was the case - it's just nobody at crackberry wanted to hear that.
    Uzi likes this.
    06-29-17 05:08 AM
    Chen actually made this clear on day one when he announced the licencing that was the case - it's just nobody at crackberry wanted to hear that.
    "The beautifully designed BlackBerry Aurora comes with a number of features that are uniquely BlackBerry. Out of the box, the device runs Android OS 7.0 Nougat – giving users access to the entire Google Play store and apps – and will receive regular security updates. It will come pre-loaded with BlackBerry Hub®, a unified messaging inbox which combines emails, texts and messages from social media accounts including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, BBM, Whatsapp, Instagram and others"

Point still stands, if you want support for your phone best not buy a blackberry branded phone until we see how TCL handles OS updates and security updates in the next year or so.
    xandros9 likes this.
    06-29-17 05:33 AM

Point still stands, if you want support for your phone best not buy a blackberry branded phone until we see how TCL handles OS updates and security updates in the next year or so.

The only android I'd ever trust to get updates for a reasonable amount of time would be a pixel.
    krazyatom likes this.
    06-29-17 05:46 AM
933 ... 1617181920 ...