What did they do? For the most part it seems to be that Google has done a lot, all on their own to secure Android. And Qualcomm has done a lot that will allow OEM's to better secure the OS to the hardware. But most OEMs don't want to go that far to secure the OS, as it make the phone less useful to power users, and power users bring a lot of attention to devices.

In this day and age... if is safer to order your steak well done. But when I order a $50 steak, I usually prefer the taste and tenderness of medium rare.
    If Google has done the most part why the cannot done this "most" with pixel??
    Well I hate Android but I still trust Priv "hardened" by BlackBerry. The point is BlackBerry has my trust and question is why any other Android handset can't have this ? You know what I mean!
    12-06-16 04:51 PM
    I'd rather have a mature OS then being in first row in waiting for bugfixes to patch a semi-working OS.
    Semi working OS? 7.1.1 is rock solid and stable since DP1. More fluid than MM ever was.
    12-06-16 04:58 PM
    Not sure what you're on about, but if you're referring to the update to Nougat you have to understand that BlackBerry has some heavy lifting to do in order to harden it.

If you want vanilla Nougat, get a Pixel (where the non-rootable Verizon version was rooted in a matter of days). Otherwise, wait a bit longer for BlackBerry Nougat.
    perfect answer
    12-06-16 05:11 PM
    Besides updating all their apps for dual window, the notification system has direct reply so the Hub needs to be updated. The biggest hurdle is probably the encryption as Google has changed from device to file based and who knows what that does to the added BB security tweaks to Android and the validation process for adapting to the changes.
    12-06-16 05:18 PM
    Soon�
    Found the name for DTEK70/Mercury/Whatever... "Blackberry Soon" perfect.
    FF22 likes this.
    12-06-16 11:01 PM
    Not sure what you're on about, but if you're referring to the update to Nougat you have to understand that BlackBerry has some heavy lifting to do in order to harden it.

If you want vanilla Nougat, get a Pixel (where the non-rootable Verizon version was rooted in a matter of days). Otherwise, wait a bit longer for BlackBerry Nougat.
    perfect answer
    What exactly is the heavy lifting? How is it different than any other android phone running Hub+, with addition of PKB (or no PKB with DTEK devices)?
    12-06-16 11:02 PM
    What exactly is the heavy lifting? How is it different than any other android phone running Hub+, with addition of PKB (or no PKB with DTEK devices)?
    The hardening of the OS, hardware root of trust, integrity detection, kernel hardening, etc, etc. This amounts to several months of additional development.

Plus there are a number of BlackBerry features not available in the suite for other devices: swipe up gestures, productivity tab for peek, BB10-style task switcher screen, BlackBerry keyboard, and DTEK permission monitor.
    damien kupuku, BB_PP and ubizmo like this.
    12-06-16 11:15 PM
    Already updated & here we sit... BlackBerry is such a disappointment to existing customers... why is a "software company" incapable of management of their software ecosystems even with Google doing the heavy lifting... BlackBerry, nobody's home... just when one thinks well of them, they perfectly time their disappointments... pfft
    Do you have any experience in software development? How the hell do you expect BlackBerry to release a new hardened OS that Google has had in their hands for 6-12 months and BlackBerry gets access ONLY after 7 is already done and out?

How about asking and learning about what you're talking about before whining about something you're not familiar with.
    Irish Blues likes this.
    12-06-16 11:20 PM
    Semi working OS? 7.1.1 is rock solid and stable since DP1. More fluid than MM ever was.
    But without the security hardening of BlackBerry (perhaps that's why the pixel got hacked in minutes) and without the the BlackBerry App ecosystem (incl. DTEK) being customised for N - like "launcher shortcuts" for BlackBerry launcher, "Multiwindow support" for PBK/ BlackBerry VKB or other BlackBerry apps (even google has still splitscreen issues in chrome or google play taken from http://www.androidauthority.com/andr...atures-673002/ )
    Another example is "quick reply" has to be implemented in hub, or "night mode" to all BlackBerry app. Managing new "app folder access permissions" in DTEK and I guess the list goes on...

So think about getting stable vanilla N and putting on M BlackBerry apps with semi working N features - how loud would the (legitimate) cries be here on this forum... and the threads "How to downgrade to M" popping up.

Just my two cents on early access to N, and yes all that could be always done faster if you have an unlimited dev-army.

No BlackBerry fanboy speaking, just switched to PRIV cause it is the only PKB alternative atm.
    Last edited by gizmo21; 12-06-16 at 11:45 PM.
    damien kupuku likes this.
    12-06-16 11:34 PM
    Already updated & here we sit... BlackBerry is such a disappointment to existing customers... why is a "software company" incapable of management of their software ecosystems even with Google doing the heavy lifting... BlackBerry, nobody's home... just when one thinks well of them, they perfectly time their disappointments... pfft
    this would include every company out there. every company takes time to release phone os updates. blackberry might take longer due to extra security features.
    12-07-16 10:52 AM
    I'd rather have a mature OS then being in first row in waiting for bugfixes to patch a semi-working OS.

I'm also hoping for some nice features in N, like splitsscreen apps or rearrangement of the 3 softkeys, but I also would be the first complaining if it wasn't usable like M.
    Well said
    12-07-16 10:56 AM
    In my opinion, having too much updates ("android style") it so annoying like not having any ("OS10 style"). I mean, I don't want a new OS every month. I don't want to update an app 3 or 4 times a month. I don't know, maybe it's just me...
    12-07-16 11:05 AM
    In my opinion, having too much updates ("android style") it so annoying like not having any ("OS10 style"). I mean, I don't want a new OS every month. I don't want to update an app 3 or 4 times a month. I don't know, maybe it's just me...
    When I get an app that works I tend not to update it. Most times when you update something is broken. NBA jam for example is broken on its current version I believe. I still have a working version because I didn't update. You can turn off autoupdate in play store. If it ain't broke don't fix it. As for OS updates, most are security updates right, with some bug fixes? But it's more than most.
    FF22 likes this.
    12-07-16 11:10 AM
    The perils of active development and a breathing ecosystem.
    Nathan Conley likes this.
    12-07-16 11:12 AM
    I appreciate frequent updates, even when there is no discernible difference in performance, because I know there are always bugs buried in complex code. Those bugs can potentially cause a problem at some point. The updates suggest that the developer is committed to making the product better. I realize that in some cases such thinking is naive, and updates can and do sometimes break things, but on the whole I like to see that software is being maintained.

Granted, most people would find flashing nightly CM updates excessive, and I can't argue with that. I think we all have our own idea of what the "right" frequency of updates is. I'd expect individual apps to be updated two or three times a year, if they are at all complex. OS updates are different, due to the large number of interacting systems that have to be tested against all kinds of contingencies. Security updates may be able to be effectively compartmentalized but I'd expect a slow pace for everything else at the OS level. I thought the pace of updates to BB10 was quite impressive for a long while, indicating a tremendous effort to get it up to speed.

As an occasional (these days) W10M user, I agree with those who have pointed out that even though Microsoft is still aggressively updating the OS and their core apps, the overall level of performance is way below what BlackBerry achieved with BB10.

Finally, Nougat 7.1 (not 7.1.1, as far as I can tell) is working fine on my OnePlus One. On the whole the transition from Marshmallow has been more smooth than the transition to Marshmallow from KitKat was. I expect that BlackBerry's engineers will get it pushed out in less time than Marshmallow took. That's just a guess, but I get the impression that Nougat itself is a more incremental change, and BlackBerry's crew has had time to become more efficient in adding their special sauce.
    Nathan Conley likes this.
    12-07-16 11:46 AM
    I remember Chen stating in an interview that it will take blackberry around 6 month to harden the new version of android and to start rolling it out to their android devices.

Posted via CB10
    Yes. That is true.

Posted via CB10
    12-09-16 11:53 AM
    Not sure what the complaint is about. Nougat is not exactly widespread in its release to existing phones. BlackBerry is getting the OS secure, so I suspect it is coming soon. Marshmallow is performing well so I am more than happy to wait.

Pataproof, I just think you are blowing smoke
    12-09-16 12:38 PM
    Why not just find a better alternative than BlackBerry if that's what you want?
    12-09-16 12:46 PM
    Hey OP, why don't you add this to your existing lawsuit against BlackBerry?
    12-09-16 01:01 PM
    As a Verizon customer, only recently got Marshmallow, so I'm happy as a clam.
    12-09-16 02:39 PM
    Blackberry will release N in February - March range. Slower than some, but in the acceptable range for device manufacturers. They have more to do to harden the OS then what other manufacturers have to do.

Basically many of the BlackBerry M security features are included in N, and split screen and a better doze. As a BlackBerry customer, you already have many of the N security features without the wait. Including secure boot... exc

Chen said six months post release. That's a March guess. Several tech blogs also guess Feb - March via "sources".
    Last edited by Nathan Conley; 12-09-16 at 03:26 PM.
    12-09-16 03:09 PM
46 12