I need some help when I download an map for off line use this is what I get!
    Is this the way it's supposed to be ?
    Attached Thumbnails Not sure how off line maps work-1222.jpg  
    12-20-16 03:48 AM
    What mapping app are you using? Offline maps work like online maps but without using the data. Download the map you want then plot your route then drive. Pretty straightforward.
    12-20-16 04:39 AM
    I need some help when I download an map for off line use this is what I get!
    Is this the way it's supposed to be ?
    Yes, that's the way map download works in Google Maps. You can resize that area and also add other areas.

Unfortunately, there is no option to download whole countries etc. like in other navigation applications. If you want that, HERE WeGo is a very good and free choice.
    N9Swipe likes this.
    12-20-16 04:39 AM
    Yes, that's the way map download works in Google Maps. You can resize that area and also add other areas.

Unfortunately, there is no option to download whole countries etc. like in other navigation applications. If you want that, HERE WeGo is a very good and free choice.
    You can use Google Maps offline?
    12-20-16 04:45 AM
    Yes, offline mode exists in google maps.
    Johnny Dollar likes this.
    12-20-16 04:48 AM
    Another good one is Navmii which is the one I use. Experiment and see which one works best for you.
    Mirko935 likes this.
    12-20-16 04:49 AM
    Yes, offline mode exists in google maps.
    This is Google maps the problem after I download I'm not able to zoom in or anything
    12-20-16 04:53 AM

Thanks going to try this one know I just moved and I'm trying to become familiar without have to use too much data
    12-20-16 04:54 AM
    Thanks going to try this one know I just moved and I'm trying to become familiar without have to use too much data
    Now I have a go to off line maps thanks. Don't understand the Google maps I saw a demo on line for trials and it worked fine I don't know what's going on on the Priv.
    12-20-16 05:08 AM
    This is Google maps the problem after I download I'm not able to zoom in or anything
    I was able to zoom in when I used them once and do everything except for getting public transport info. Are you sure you selected a large enough area?

Try. You might like it. Also, you can try the one Johnny Dollar suggested, and I heard that MAPS.ME is a very good app. I'm sure you'll find something that will suit you.
    12-20-16 05:10 AM
    I have not downloaded such maps in a while but you have to get a more complete download that includes greater detail that allows zooming.

Found this article:

https://www.wired.com/2014/02/offline-google-maps
    12-20-16 09:19 AM
    Once you download the area when you're in that area it will use it, provided it's not expired. WARNING: Make sure you set for auto-refresh and refresh ONLY ON WIFI! If not you can get a NASTY surprise.

The area downloaded is defined when you set it up, but you can zoom in while in the app itself normally. I have a half-dozen downloaded areas on my device; they refresh about once a month on their own and it covers the part of the country I travel in most-frequently (which is actually a very large area; perhaps encompassing a third of the US east of the Mississippi.....)
    12-20-16 09:24 AM
    Once you download the area when you're in that area it will use it, provided it's not expired. WARNING: Make sure you set for auto-refresh and refresh ONLY ON WIFI! If not you can get a NASTY surprise.

The area downloaded is defined when you set it up, but you can zoom in while in the app itself normally. I have a half-dozen downloaded areas on my device; they refresh about once a month on their own and it covers the part of the country I travel in most-frequently (which is actually a very large area; perhaps encompassing a third of the US east of the Mississippi.....)
    So it grabs what I'd call Zoom Detail down to, say, Street Level, if you outlined or grabbed an initially wide view of Phillie? Or Raleigh?
    12-20-16 10:08 AM
    So it grabs what I'd call Zoom Detail down to, say, Street Level, if you outlined or grabbed an initially wide view of Phillie? Or Raleigh?
    Correct.

When you set it you're simply defining the bounding box you want downloaded. The download ITSELF covers all of the detail they have.

My only complaint with it is that you can't define one download area to be as large as I'd like, although overlapping areas don't get duplicated (as far as I know) on the device itself.
    FF22 likes this.
    12-20-16 01:58 PM

Does it use the offline data even if you are online? If so, is there a way to ask it to fetch the latest information for my route without having to update the entire offline area.?
    12-21-16 02:52 PM
    This is why I like browsing this site. I had no idea I could do this with Google Maps.
    FF22, Wezard and andy957 like this.
    12-21-16 03:11 PM
    Another app that has offline maps is HERE WeGo. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....here.app.maps
    N9Swipe likes this.
    12-21-16 05:18 PM
    Another app that has offline maps is HERE WeGo. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....here.app.maps
    Another, and also the first third party app I mentioned in post #3 and which the OP already said he'll try.

But, I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes it.
    12-22-16 01:35 AM
    Looks like it could get pretty memory intensive if you wanted a large area(s). I'm assuming it's fairly easy to specify phone or SD memory? Could help decide which one to try first.
    12-22-16 06:09 AM
    Looks like it could get pretty memory intensive if you wanted a large area(s). I'm assuming it's fairly easy to specify phone or SD memory? Could help decide which one to try first.
    HERE and Google maps have the option to save maps to SD. Don't know about other apps, but I'd guess they all have it.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-22-16 06:43 AM
    HERE and Google maps have the option to save maps to SD. Don't know about other apps, but I'd guess they all have it.
    I saw that in the settings. Will it impact its performance if save to the SD?
    12-22-16 08:07 AM
    Not by much, and by the way the "estimates" are usually wildly pessimistic in terms of actual space consumed.
    Wezard and FF22 like this.
    12-22-16 08:09 AM
    I saw that in the settings. Will it impact its performance if save to the SD?
    I highly doubt it, most car GPS systems use SD cards (or at least they used to, even years ago when cards were also much slower) and work well. Besides, reading from SD is certainly far faster than fetching data from the internet and Google Maps works perfectly well over 3G connections.
    Fastmarc and Wezard like this.
    12-22-16 09:26 AM
    Besides, reading from SD is certainly far faster than fetching data from the internet and Google Maps works perfectly well over 3G connections.
    Very true. Thanks.
    Wezard and Mirko935 like this.
    12-22-16 09:57 AM
    I can also recommend Here Maps. I've used them for years on a few different OSes, and their offline maps have saved my behind in some fairly remote locations of planet Earth.

They used to have traffic rerouting. I'm not sure why they didn't carry that feature forward. I wish they would bring it back, it was awesome.
    andy957 likes this.
    12-22-16 08:44 PM
29 12