The carriers mentioned in the title are stuck on CDMA, just cause.

It helps that all of the European carriers have moved to GSM, as did pretty much every country in the world save the US/China.

Posted via CB10
    Verizon is moving quickly to VoLTE and will start rolling out LTE only phones next year. They plan on keeping CDMA for IoT, but phones will be moved rapidly to using the LTE network.
    10-22-15 12:58 PM
    I'm fairly sure model STV100-3 and STV100-4 are for Verizon and Sprint respectively.
    Not that sure anymore, I somehow blinded and thought I saw EV-DO, but raino said otherwise.
    Last edited by ToniCipriani; 10-22-15 at 01:40 PM.
    motec bb likes this.
    10-22-15 12:59 PM
    As thurask suggests, why stay with carriers who force such restrictive practices on their customers, and who are out of step with the rest of the world with their outdated standards?
    Because as much as Verizon sucks, the network coverage is second to none in the US. The 4G coverage is I think twice the size of AT&T (the second largest network).
    10-22-15 01:04 PM
    The new Moto x's and Nexus phones can be activated on Verizon. You just need an active nano SIM card. Quite a few people are already using the new Moto phones on Verizon. A Android Central editor is testing the new Nexus phones on Verizon. He just pulled an existing active SIM card out of phone and put it in the Nexus phone.
    Yes this is changing. BlackBerry has not yet had a phone that works in this manner.
    10-22-15 01:27 PM
    Yes this is changing. BlackBerry has not yet had a phone that works in this manner.
    Was really hoping the priv would be.

Oh well....

Posted via CB10
    10-22-15 01:35 PM
    The carriers mentioned in the title are stuck on CDMA, just cause.

It helps that all of the European carriers have moved to GSM, as did pretty much every country in the world save the US/China.

Posted via CB10
    And the fact that GSM was used more widely outside the US helped play a role in my decision to switch to AT&T back when Z10 came out. The fact that all I had to do was pop in a SIM card but I can buy any phone is something I had loved from the Nextel days

(Didn't help Sprint that their coverage was annoying me in NYC)

Posted via CB10
    10-22-15 01:58 PM
    Was really hoping the priv would be.

Oh well....

Posted via CB10
    It would be nice but others have said there appears to be various models, some carrier-specific to say... Verizon for example.
    10-22-15 08:42 PM
    Well actually it is, other than the oddball CDMA radio stuff.

I can see LTE Verizon on my Passport. I can't connect to it as I don't have a valid Verizon account (and thus SIM) but I certainly do see it, and I can force-connect for 911 calls if I wanted to (or, as is the case in a few places, where it's the only signal the phone sees at all!)

Verizon is moving away from CDMA for voice and data devices (users); they have every reason to as LTE is far more spectrum-efficient, and that matters since you can get more active users in a given bandwidth. That of course means that while you have to spend the money on radios and antennas, you can have more customers on a given antenna and transceiver, which means more money per deployed tower, so....

However, missing Band 13 means you won't like it for Verizon, and that, unfortunately, means the -1 version of this device is not what you want, now or later, if you're a Verizon customer or want to be one.
    southlander likes this.
    10-22-15 09:24 PM
    Well I looked over the files just a little while ago, I can definitely say that STV100-4 is the Priv coming to Sprint, band 41 LTE and all.
    SteelGreek likes this.
    10-22-15 11:15 PM
    Well I looked over the files just a little while ago, I can definitely say that STV100-4 is the Priv coming to Sprint, band 41 LTE and all.
    what files?
    10-22-15 11:19 PM
    Could that possibly be where you saw something in regards to EVDO?

Posted via CB10
    10-23-15 12:59 AM
    what files?
    Probably the FCC files.

Posted from my Verizon Z10 10.3.2.858
    10-23-15 03:57 AM
    As thurask suggests, why stay with carriers who force such restrictive practices on their customers, and who are out of step with the rest of the world with their outdated standards?
    Because as I've said several times here in these forums, GSM doesn't work for crap in many places here. At&t is spotty at best. T-Mobile only works if you are in a city or relatively close. Why buy a phone that doesn't work when you need or want it to? It's not as simple as just switching carriers like some seem to think

Posted via CB10
    Z30Commission likes this.
    10-24-15 11:08 AM
    That's why, when the day comes, that phones can work on any network, similar to how Google does it with the Nexus line, we can screw the carriers by never buying a phone from them again. Payback for all these years of holding us hostage.
    10-24-15 11:47 AM
    That's why, when the day comes, that phones can work on any network, similar to how Google does it with the Nexus line, we can screw the carriers by never buying a phone from them again. Payback for all these years of holding us hostage.
    I call it Indentured Servitude
    00stryder likes this.
    10-24-15 12:18 PM
    I've had Verizon for many years because of the coverage. However, their phone lock-in policy is draconian and underhanded. I blame Verizon for driving the nail that killed Palm/HP WebOS phones. Blackberry offerings are slim to none. Buying a Pre Plus from Verizon was a horrible experience as the sales staff actually ridiculed the phone and tried to get me to pick up an Android. The only perk of the Z30 was wireless charging which BB integrated fairly well (though not nearly as good as WebOS). I had a similar experience when I bought the Z30 (but then they were pushing the iPhone). The reason I will probably buy the Priv is because it's reminiscent of the form of my Pre 3. I've even heard people say that the PrIV name is a nod to what should have been the Pre 4. On the WebOS forums there is talk of porting LuneOS to this device (if possible with the signed bootloader).
    10-25-15 08:00 AM
    I've had Verizon for many years because of the coverage. However, their phone lock-in policy is draconian and underhanded. I blame Verizon for driving the nail that killed Palm/HP WebOS phones. Blackberry offerings are slim to none. Buying a Pre Plus from Verizon was a horrible experience as the sales staff actually ridiculed the phone and tried to get me to pick up an Android. The only perk of the Z30 was wireless charging which BB integrated fairly well (though not nearly as good as WebOS). I had a similar experience when I bought the Z30 (but then they were pushing the iPhone). The reason I will probably buy the Priv is because it's reminiscent of the form of my Pre 3. I've even heard people say that the PrIV name is a nod to what should have been the Pre 4. On the WebOS forums there is talk of porting LuneOS to this device (if possible with the signed bootloader).
    So, if the Priv is not offered by Verizon, will you stay or go elsewhere, just to get the Priv? This is my dilemma.
    10-25-15 08:56 AM
    I'm already some where else, but I am waiting for more news about the Verizon version because I want to go back

Posted via CB10
    10-25-15 09:07 AM
    I'm very disappointed in Crackberry. Back in the day, this was the place to get answers. They even had an inside track to BlackBerry. What happened? Is it not possible for even Crackberry to approach BlackBerry and get a simple yes/no answer to: will Verizon get a CDMA version of the Priv?

Forget about dates... even a yes/no would be good!

Posted via CB10
    ummie4 likes this.
    10-25-15 09:47 AM
    Google FI works with pure VOLTE and WIFI and leases bandwith on Sprint and TMO LTE spectrum... so it's much more restrictive than your standard options... again, in cities etc. you are fine- as you will pickup one of their LTE signals.

Verizon phone floating only on VOLTE is not going to give you as good as an experience as a full verizon phone that crosses CDMA and LTE. I get great LTE but sometimes I get in spots the LTE just does not make it.. good thing my phone has CDMA so it gets voice and 3g!

Verizon actually, while moving to VOLTE still will push voice onto CDMA when it can- that pipe is less used and frees up LTE for data... what they can start doing while retiring CDMA is leasing more of that spectrum to tertiary companies such as metro etc.

Posted via CB10
    10-25-15 09:57 AM
    Ha! I loved my WebOS phone. It was great to read your post. Brought back memories. There are still thinks about about the WebOS that made it so much easier than the Q10 I have now. Having said this I'm with Verizon and hope that they will get the Priv. I'm ready for an an update. Oh yes too bad the Pre 4 was never released. I was already to get that when HP pull the plug.
    10-25-15 10:14 AM
    That's cool about the pre4 thing but I feel like it's more coincidence. I had the same issues with my Z10 and Z30 in store. I finally bought them online to avoid the hassle.
    So, if the Priv is not offered by Verizon, will you stay or go elsewhere, just to get the Priv? This is my dilemma.
    I'll hold onto my Z30 for a bit longer since I do like it. I'm still upset I wasn't able to get a passport but the service is so much better. I always have better service then my friends.

I was just on a small day trip and needed maps and if it wasn't for big red we'd have been lost. No one else had service but me in the mountains.
    10-25-15 10:19 AM
    That's cool about the pre4 thing but I feel like it's more coincidence. I had the same issues with my Z10 and Z30 in store. I finally bought them online to avoid the hassle.

I'll hold onto my Z30 for a bit longer since I do like it. I'm still upset I wasn't able to get a passport but the service is so much better. I always have better service then my friends.

I was just on a small day trip and needed maps and if it wasn't for big red we'd have been lost. No one else had service but me in the mountains.
    Yes, it's probably coincidence but it's a fun speculation. Whether I stick with Verizon or go somewhere else does depend on the Priv. That would be the last straw for me. The biggest problem with Verizon is that they take forever to roll out updates. The Palm Treo was the worst. They released a year after a Palm update was available. I had to put together my own WebOS installer from the Verizon parts of their current version with the "released everywhere else" versions. The good part of that was I could remove the Verizon bloatware at the same time. I've installed two releases past Verizon's BB10 current release. I've got better things to do to keep guessing if and when Verizon will get their act together. We've been hearing since 2012 that "in a year" VoLTE will be fully deployed and CDMA shut down. My inside source tells me it probably won't happen until the end of 2018 the earliest.
    10-25-15 11:42 AM
    do you guys think the priv will work with smaller companies like lycamobile or boostmobile
    10-27-15 11:50 PM
    do you guys think the priv will work with smaller companies like lycamobile or boostmobile
    As long as they are GSM an unlocked Priv should work.

T-Mobile  вιaсĸвεггч� Passport � Autoloaded 10.3.1.2582 Sachesi to 10.3.1.2744 to 10.3.2.680 to 798 to 2204 to 2339 to 2639 to 2789
    10-28-15 05:38 AM
58 123