I am reading all of these reports of Blackberry taking pre-orders on the Priv (or possibly even orders) starting tomorrow and am wondering whatever happened to a formal Launch Event to introduce the device? I've been waiting for an introduction to the phone by the company trying to "sell" it.

I'll be honest, as part of Blackberry's perfect target audience (I'm currently a Passport user and Z30 and Q10 before that), I truly wonder if their heart is in this phone or if this is just a last ditch effort to say they tried before they throw in the towel on hardware a year from now (or sooner). Seems like the end of hardware may already be baked into their plans by Blackberry if this is any indication of their effort to save making phones.

With this lack of enthusiasm shown by Blackberry, I truly wonder about their devotion to device updates (looks like it's not even launching with the current Android OS, Marshmallow) and service patches which all Android phones need. The whole process, from Chen's awkward unveiling to the lack of any formal launch, just wreaks of low enthusiasm for the Priv to me and, frankly, an utter lack of professionalism in running the company.

Compare Blackberry's "introduction" (or lack thereof) to the spectacular launch events that Apple puts on, the one Microsoft just had 2 weeks ago which was phenomenal and even what Google and Samsung do to introduce new devices.

Anybody else agree?
    rai187 likes this.
    10-22-15 09:44 PM
    I think it is unfortunate that we have no news on a launch event, but I would not count it out by any means.

I think tomorrow is a soft launch with a hard launch to come when carriers start rolling, etc.

Do I think it's poorly communicated that it is a soft launch? Yes. But companies do soft launches all the time, so nothing unusual.

I expect a launch event mid November so at the event they can say "it is officially/currently available at xyz, go get it!

Posted via BlackBerry Passport
    10-22-15 09:49 PM
    Why waste money on a launch event? Carrier promos would make the biggest differences and corporate buyers. Market direct to consumers. Their marketing choices so far leave more to worry about than the lack of a launch event.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-15 09:52 PM
    No need for a launch, the PRIV is an experiment...they'll probably sell the 500k units fairly easily and then depending on demand make smaller production runs. If the security software gets recognized they may start licensing their products to Samsung and others....so this is a win-win for them n my opinion.

Plus it would be embarrassing to hype the phone up so much that they can't keep up with supply. At most they have 12 months before newer tech comes down the pipeline.
    10-22-15 09:53 PM
    I would agree . . . I suppose that the launch of PRIV which would be allegedly priced at USD 749 exclusive of any sales tax (while it is reportedly available for CAD 799.99 exclusive of tax from Rogers in Canada) should deserve a lot of media hype just like the very celebrated launches of Passport, Classic, and Leap.

So far we have witnessed only two official appearances, one of which was dated several months ago. (The black and white sliders were running BlackBerry 10 OS at that time.)

No Priv Launch Event - Does it concern you?-blackberry-slider-1-.jpg

No Priv Launch Event - Does it concern you?-blackberry-priv-john-chen-interview.jpg

Posted via CB10
    10-22-15 10:04 PM
    Someone mentioned before that Google is suppose to help market this device. I'm not giving up hope just yet. As imperfect as everything is so far, I feel like a lot of this was planned and not by accident. My theory is that their marketing team is just trying to stir up the pot.

Just my three cents

DarkJoker33 likes this.
    10-22-15 10:05 PM
    Why waste money on a launch event? Carrier promos would make the biggest differences and corporate buyers. Market direct to consumers. Their marketing choices so far leave more to worry about than the lack of a launch event.

Posted via CB10
    This, budget is their reason not to do an event. They saving every penny
    10-22-15 10:13 PM
    I am reading all of these reports of Blackberry taking pre-orders on the Priv (or possibly even orders) starting tomorrow and am wondering whatever happened to a formal Launch Event to introduce the device? I've been waiting for an introduction to the phone by the company trying to "sell" it...

... Compare Blackberry's "introduction" (or lack thereof) to the spectacular launch events that Apple puts on, the one Microsoft just had 2 weeks ago which was phenomenal and even what Google and Samsung do to introduce new devices.

Anybody else agree?
    Kinda sorta. I'm torn on this. BlackBerry just isn't in the position of Apple or Samsung or Google or Microsoft. Does HTC have events for their latest & greatest? Honestly, I have no idea, so it's certainly not on the scale of those others either even if they do.

Expect a press release. Let anything else be a pleasant surprise.

I'll be honest, as part of Blackberry's perfect target audience (I'm currently a Passport user and Z30 and Q10 before that)...
    Nope, you're their gravy.

Their target audience used BlackBerry, but left at some point for the Android ecosystem to get what BB couldn't offer. (Then.)

I truly wonder if their heart is in this phone or if this is just a last ditch effort to say they tried before they throw in the towel on hardware a year from now (or sooner). Seems like the end of hardware may already be baked into their plans by Blackberry if this is any indication of their effort to save making phones.

With this lack of enthusiasm shown by Blackberry, I truly wonder about their devotion to device updates (looks like it's not even launching with the current Android OS, Marshmallow) and service patches which all Android phones need. The whole process, from Chen's awkward unveiling to the lack of any formal launch, just wreaks of low enthusiasm for the Priv to me and, frankly, an utter lack of professionalism in running the company.
    Calling Marshmallow "the current Android OS" is not accurate. It's the next Android OS, just now entering the market on Google's own two Nexus devices first. The just-released Samsung Galaxy Note 5 and Galaxy S6 Edge+ also come with Lollipop (Android 5.1.1) just like Priv.

And since Lollipop, numerous patches are actually handled in the background by Google Play so they're not waiting on the next OS update.

It's worth noting, again, that lots of people outside of our BB-centric CrackBerry universe actually seem like they are excited by the Priv. How many will buy? We'll all know soon. I'm tired of guessing how things will turn out. I'm buying a Priv because I want one.
    00stryder, Ecm and app_Developer like this.
    10-22-15 10:23 PM
    I would agree . . . I suppose that the launch of PRIV which would be allegedly priced at USD 749 exclusive of any sales tax (while it is reportedly available for CAD 799.99 exclusive of tax from Rogers in Canada) should deserve a lot of media hype just like the very celebrated launches of Passport, Classic, and Leap.

So far we have witnessed only two official appearances, one of which was dated several months ago. (The black and white sliders were running BlackBerry 10 OS at that time.)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blackberry-slider(1).jpg 
Views:	2441 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	377060

Name:	blackberry-priv-john-chen-interview.jpg 
Views:	2443 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	377061

Posted via CB10
    ... I have something to say about that but I wont... I discussed mwc.

In Squircle I Trust
    10-22-15 11:03 PM
    I'm all ears if you would like to share in PM

10-23-15 12:22 AM
    I tried to search for promo material in our work DB, but no info could be found....
    10-23-15 12:23 AM
    I just noticed this ad on CNN.com so now the marketing is underway:

No Priv Launch Event - Does it concern you?-img_20151022_222648.png

Posted via CB10
    10-23-15 12:28 AM
    No it doesnt concern me because that money can be used to fill orders.
    10-23-15 01:43 AM
    I just noticed this ad on CNN.com so now the marketing is underway:

Name:	IMG_20151022_222648.png 
Views:	1104 
Size:	112.3 KB 
ID:	377075

Good catch. That is something anyway.
    10-23-15 02:31 AM
    Adsense just gives you relevant stuff to what you mostly view online. The average person surfing the web would never get that.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    10-23-15 02:33 AM
    Yup extremely concerning. They make a great device with all the apps you could possibly need and not a peep from them. If this device fails it will surely be due to the lack of marketing.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Last edited by rai187; 10-23-15 at 07:50 AM.
    RigoMonster likes this.
    10-23-15 02:40 AM
    I'm amazed how some of you can hold two incommensurable ideas in your head at the same time:

"BB10 was great it failed due to lack of marketing"

"Its the right thing to do to launch the Priv with no marketing"
    10-23-15 03:26 AM
    Honestly I don't think they have much of an alternative at this point. So the "coulda, shoulda" argument at this point is pretty much academic.

Much as I am unhappy about various things that went under Chen's cost-cutting knife, I give him credit for keeping things going. I still don't like any of the other platform alternatives any better than I did when BB10 hit the market.

Microsoft could actually have been a halfway-decent option, until their recent turn to the dark side, following in Google's data-mining footsteps. The other new platforms have far less traction so far than even BB10 does.
    10-23-15 03:44 AM
    Why would BB hold a launch event? There's no point.

For one, they likely don't have the budget; for two, I keep reading posts here on CB from people happy to pay (seemingly) any amount for a Priv - sight unseen!

So why bother with a launch event?

BB don't need no stinkin' marketing... Never have, never will.
    10-23-15 04:49 AM

Posted via CB10
    It matters. For example take a look at the Microsoft Surface 4 and Microsoft Surface Book launch. They hyped the event for months and then all Internet blogs followed up by reviews few weeks later. That means product is always in your face. Now take a look at the Vaio tablet which is a lot better product than Surface but they had a soft launch before Surface 4 was released. Til today there are no reviews online from major outlets.

And no carriers are going to advertise for them unless they give them some insane incentives which is not likely at all. All the promo material inside of the store like point of purchase or panels are made and paid for by manufacturers.

This is a proven setup for failure and that's exactly how BB10 was handled. Money cannot be an excuse as they have bunch of it. Either someone wants it to fail or someone is clueless how these things work. Considering whole marketing department has been laid off you come up with your own conclusions.
    10-23-15 05:04 AM
    There is one, it's just PRIVate!! :-D

Posted via CB10
    tomsobon, JeepBB and fadi.alsaidi like this.
    10-23-15 05:10 AM
    Good catch. That is something anyway.
    I've seen this ad consistently for almost a week now on most of the sites I visited and worth to note I've ran into especially more on my Android device.

Posted via CB10
    10-23-15 05:52 AM
    I have been looking on the Blackberry website everyday and have seen nothing as to when I can pre order or buy the device???

I haven't even received an email saying the device can be pre ordered yet???
    MO3iusONE likes this.
    10-23-15 06:04 AM
    It's just sad that there is no event. A flagship phone that could change the fortunes of the handset business and nothing. It's typical BlackBerry and yes.. very worrisome.

Posted via  BlackBerry Z30
    pat-wallace likes this.
    10-23-15 06:09 AM
    I have been looking on the Blackberry website everyday and have seen nothing as to when I can pre order or buy the device???

I haven't even received an email saying the device can be pre ordered yet???
    So much for us all registering for updates!
    nonamenomore likes this.
    10-23-15 06:14 AM
57 123