SilentOS from Blackphone seems to have it, quote from their website:
    "Fine tune individual app permissions so that the user decides the level of data access each app receives "

Also, BlackPhone seems to have a Balance alike feature by default (on Priv you would need BES).

So, why should people buy a Priv?
    The Priv is still following the outdated BES centered business model of RIM, which failed.
    There is no true spirit to protect private information, naming this phone "Priv" is misleading.

Note:
    If you can't control the access permissions for apps, you are exposed to potential attacks.
    Apple and Google are experiencing serious problems here:

First XcodeGhost
    XcodeGhost apps haunting iOS App Store more numerous than first reported | Ars Technica

Next even worse:
    Researchers find 256 iOS apps that collect users? personal info | Ars Technica

Google has it too:
    Scanner identifies thousands of malicious Android apps on Google Play, other markets - SC Magazine

Quote: "In Google Play, the team found that 30,552 of 401,549 apps were malicious. The researchers said that 400 of the malicious apps had been downloaded more than a million times each, and 2,000 had been downloaded more than 50,000 times each."

Or more recent: Malicious Brain Test App Thwarts Google Play Android Security

Appstores (including BB 10 AppWorld) will never be able to determine long term the purpose of required internet permissions for an app.
    An app might connect to a legitimate ad server in the first 6-12 months, it will pass all security tests, and then one day a command in the code will let it connect to a control&command server which in turn let the app start do other things.
    There is no protection from this scenario in any appstore.
    That's why you want to control the permissons, it's the first defense line for damage control in case the app starts to act malicious.
    And that's why you should miss the internet access permission that we already had with BBOS.
    10-21-15 06:23 AM
    So the phone isn't even released and properly reviewed and you are already bashing it and doubt it's security level.
    Why not close your bb account on this forum and move over to the blackphone forum?
    I swear that some people are like sheep to slaughter, they believe all they find over the internet or everything a security company finds. Seems a bit strange that some major issues found in android have been discovered by the same security company, doesn't it?
    BB_PP likes this.
    10-21-15 06:43 AM
    So the phone isn't even released and properly reviewed and you are already bashing it and doubt it's security level.?
    Nope, the security features for the Priv have been released and there is no word on apps permission control.
    And I am actually referring to a problem ALL appstores have in common, and other OSes like BB10, iOS or SilentOS are adressing this problem, while it seems that the Priv does not.

Simple story, right?
    10-21-15 06:55 AM
    But Android Marshmallow will have app permissions and is coming out soon.

Posted via CB10
    hannahayek likes this.
    10-21-15 06:56 AM
    Where to start first,

Google is adding app permission control with Marshmallow in the same way BB10 can disable app permissions. So Priv may not have it at launch but will when they update to marshmallow (as will all android phones on marshmallow)

Secondly as far as BES and silent circle go, have you actually gone to their website.. most of their security features don't come free on the phone and require subscriptions just like BES. The questions should more be what additional free built in features does blackphone offer that BlackBerry doesn't give free

*-* BBM Channel : Netflix Newsroom C003BA5E3 | facebook.com/NetflixNewsroom*-*
    10-21-15 06:57 AM
    Why is it too when these websites say they found X amount of malware apps they never publish the list of apps so people can see if they downloaded them. Some transparency from these firms would be nice

DJM626 likes this.
    10-21-15 07:03 AM
    Where to start first,

Google is adding app permission control with Marshmallow in the same way BB10 can disable app permissions. So Priv may not have it at launch but will when they update to marshmallow (as will all android phones on marshmallow)
    Okay, so that is just a temporary problem, I understand.

However, withouth controlling internet access permission, you privacy lays always in the hands of the developer (and their own security set-up).

Secondly as far as BES and silent circle go, have you actually gone to their website.. most of their security features don't come free on the phone and require subscriptions just like BES. The questions should more be what additional free built in features does blackphone offer that BlackBerry doesn't give free
    The Balance alike feature "Spaces" I was refering to seems to be free:
    https://my.blackphone.ch/bp2/spaces/...to_spaces.html
    10-21-15 07:07 AM
    Nope, the security features for the Priv have been released and there is no word on apps permission control.
    while it seems that the Priv does not.
    There is your answer, wait for it to be released and than draw a conclusion about how BB handled the problem.
    10-21-15 07:19 AM
    Okay, so that is just a temporary problem, I understand.

However, withouth controlling internet access permission, you privacy lays always in the hands of the developer (and their own security set-up).

The Balance alike feature "Spaces" I was refering to seems to be free:
    https://my.blackphone.ch/bp2/spaces/...to_spaces.html
    Not gonna lie tho. I have looked into blackphone as an alternative if BlackBerry does stop hardware. The co-founders all have impressive backgrounds including creator of PGP. And really when you do subscribe the silentphone part it's very reasonable. Looks like between 10-52$ a year depending how many minutes you want. And their privacy policy looks great..

It would definitely be my backup android if I don't stick with BlackBerry

10-21-15 07:29 AM
    What I don't understand is with BlackBerry's focus on Security.... why wasn't the PRIV planned so that it could be launched with Marshmallow?

What would that mean... a Dec launch instead of a Nov launch? Many OEM's are promising updates for their "latest" devices by the end of the year.

But then we don't know how long it would have taken BlackBerry to tweak Android 6.0. It might be a few weeks and they'll release the update, or it might be months before they have Marshmallow ready for the PRIV.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-21-15 07:47 AM
    What I don't understand is with BlackBerry's focus on Security.... why wasn't the PRIV planned so that it could be launched with Marshmallow?

What would that mean... a Dec launch instead of a Nov launch? Many OEM's are promising updates for their "latest" devices by the end of the year.

But then we don't know how long it would have taken BlackBerry to tweak Android 6.0. It might be a few weeks and they'll release the update, or it might be months before they have Marshmallow ready for the PRIV.
    Or at a minimum, advertise that they will take advantage of it when it is offered and how it will enhance the security they are offering.

Posted via CB10
    10-21-15 08:02 AM

I think you've answered your own question.

Waiting for Marshmallow would mean delaying the release of the Priv. BB likely can't wait. BB10 sales are already pitiful and declining, and BB needs the revenue. Hardware still makes up 40% of the numbers, so BB need phone sales.

So the Priv *must* ship as soon as possible, even if that means shipping with Lollipop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    10-21-15 08:13 AM
    Or at a minimum, advertise that they will take advantage of it when it is offered and how it will enhance the security they are offering.

Posted via CB10
    I see your point, but such advertising could easily backfire by highlighting that their current security solution is deficient.

If I were BB, I'd say nothing because many people wouldn't realise the implications of using Lollipop, and knowing that the world is full of glass half-empty people like me, who would look at such an admission negatively, I guess.

Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    10-21-15 08:26 AM
    I think you've answered your own question.

Waiting for Marshmallow would mean delaying the release of the Priv. BB likely can't wait. BB10 sales are already pitiful and declining, and BB needs the revenue. Hardware still makes up 40% of the numbers, so BB need phone sales.

So the Priv *must* ship as soon as possible, even if that means shipping with Lollipop.

I know.... it's just that they always seem to be rushing things, and never taking the time to get them right to begin with.

Answer to the iPhone - rushed out the STORM and bungled the memory specs.
    Answer to the iPad - rushed out the PlayBook, half the tablet and half the capabilities (no email?) for the same price as the iPad??
    Answer to Android and iOS - slowly rushed out BB10, beta product at best at launch.
    Answer to the IM and Social Media Apps - rushed out crossplatfrom BBM and Channels, again a beta product at best at launch (for a year). (and still very poorly reviewed app - yet the "stars" don't reflect the reviews)

By this time next year... they won't have to worry about hardware being such a big part of their business anymore.

Unless their software business collapses on them without the hardware.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-21-15 08:27 AM
    Assuming they'll upgrade to Marshmallow, then it's only a question of time/priorities.
    Maybe they are still reviewing the changes coming with Marshmallow. I think your guess is right.
    That's something I can live with.

Still, I am missing the big differentiator.
    What makes the "Priv" more private than the competition?

And the competition includes Blackphone.
    JC is aware of that, but BlackBerry is still launching a "You will need BES for everything cool..." smartphone.

I believe BlackPhone offers a better package out of the box, even without the subscriptions.
    And it looks like their subscription model is more simple.
    And it looks like their terms are more privacy friendly, if you take a look under "What We Promise - Your Privacy"

BlackBerry hasn't learned anything.
    I wish them best success with the Priv, honestly, but they seem to live in 2005.
    Wait no, BBOS had the internet permission for apps, they must live in times before BBOS.
    10-21-15 08:29 AM
    i think they might have this out of the box even if we havent seen it in action. I think that is part of some of the dtek software maybe. not 100% sure though
    10-21-15 08:33 AM
    Assuming they'll upgrade to Marshmallow, then it's only a question of time/priorities.
    Maybe they are still reviewing the changes coming with Marshmallow. I think your guess is right.
    That's something I can live with.

Still, I am missing the big differentiator.
    What makes the "Priv" more private than the competition?

And the competition includes Blackphone.
    JC is aware of that, but BlackBerry is still launching a "You will need BES for everything cool..." smartphone.

I believe BlackPhone offers a better package out of the box, even without the subscriptions.
    And it looks like their subscription model is more simple.
    And it looks like their terms are more privacy friendly, if you take a look under "What We Promise - Your Privacy"

BlackBerry hasn't learned anything.
    I wish them best success with the Priv, honestly, but they seem to live in 2005.
    Wait no, BBOS had the internet permission for apps, they must live in times before BBOS.
    How do we know Blackphone will be around in 2 years though? Many are saying that they won't get a Priv because they fear it will fail and won't have support down the road.

Posted via CB10
    10-21-15 08:34 AM
    I know.... it's just that they always seem to be rushing things, and never taking the time to get them right to begin with.

Answer to the iPhone - rushed out the STORM and bungled the memory specs.
    Answer to the iPad - rushed out the PlayBook, half the tablet and half the capabilities (no email?) for the same price as the iPad??
    Answer to Android and iOS - slowly rushed out BB10, beta product at best at launch.
    Answer to the IM and Social Media Apps - rushed out crossplatfrom BBM and Channels, again a beta product at best at launch (for a year). (and still very poorly reviewed app - yet the "stars" don't reflect the reviews)

By this time next year... they won't have to worry about hardware being such a big part of their business anymore.

Unless their software business collapses on them without the hardware.
    I agree with all of that.

BB have been painfully slow in realising their "world" has changed, and continues to change. And equally slow in executing their response to those changing conditions. The term "dinosaur" seems kind of apt somehow... And I wonder if they'll go the way of the dinosaurs.

It's all Apple's fault of course. Though unlike many who say that here on CB, I'm not driven by Apple-hatred.

The original iPhone wrecked BB's world, and they didn't respond with anything immediately, and then released the Storm. In contrast, Android pivoted almost immediately to become an iPhone/iOS clone, and fared much better.

The App-centric, consumer-friendly world that the iPhone introduced is still (IMO) passing BB by. They didn't get it when it mattered, and it's too late now. BB under Chen has effectively conceded the battleground and is now focused on Enterprise. He needs the Priv for the revenue, but I doubt it figures in BB's long term future.

I have a suspicion that Chen intended the Priv to be released much later... with Marshmallow, and a fully functioning Hub etc. I'm sure he was determined to not repeat the usual pattern of launching with a half-finished Beta as they've always done... but, I suspect the rapid decline in BB10 sales, and the sluggish growth of his chosen path (software) kind of forced his hand... And the rush to get the Priv out is the result.

I've mentioned it before, but JimB wanted to develop xBBM years ago when BB was king of the hill. MikeL wouldn't hear of it, and BBM remained a BB-exclusive. This was when WhatsApp wasn't even a thought... and that space could have been BB's for the taking... ah, what might have been.

10-21-15 08:58 AM
    DTEK might be handling the permissions.

Posted via CB10
    10-21-15 09:01 AM
    ah, what might have been.
    I assume every BlackBerry employee has a clause in the contract that prohibits fresh ideas outside the norm.

(BB10 was obviously developed by people who were not bound by such clauses, however, they are no longer working there, right?)
    10-21-15 09:25 AM
    I assume every BlackBerry employee has a clause in the contract that prohibits fresh ideas outside the norm.

(BB10 was obviously developed by people who were not bound by such clauses, however, they are no longer working there, right?)
    I realise you're joking, but there's many a true word spoken in jest.

By all accounts, BB under MikeL was a lesson in how not to lead a high-tech, innovative company. He was autocratic, and seemed to be the only guy in the company who was entitled to "think". It was his way, or the highway from what I've read.

He was definitely an engineering genius. But, I think the developing world brought into being by what Apple were doing, exceeded his imagination. His reaction to the iPhone was apparently disbelief that the device was real!

The recent book (losing the signal) on BB is great reading... sad, in many ways, as it describes how a once great company lost its way, but an interesting read.

10-21-15 09:42 AM
    Has anybody looked into Turing phone.. it's said to be ultra secure too

10-21-15 06:17 PM
    DTEK might be handling the permissions.

Posted via CB10
    On BlackBerry 10 it's called BlackBerry safeguard

Posted via CB10
    10-21-15 07:17 PM