I’m going to hold on to my Priv as long as I can (or until my fingers burn), but I think it won’t be long before I need to replace it. I’ve had to reinstall the OS twice in the last few months (boot loop issue) and Android 6 hasn’t had security updates for quite awhile. So I’m curious about recommendations for what to get next. Like you, I’m accustomed to how the Priv feels in my hands. And I really, really want something that is no bigger than the Priv; even smaller could be OK.

What would you recommend?
    06-22-20 09:41 PM
    I’m going to hold on to my Priv as long as I can (or until my fingers burn), but I think it won’t be long before I need to replace it. I’ve had to reinstall the OS twice in the last few months (boot loop issue) and Android 6 hasn’t had security updates for quite awhile. So I’m curious about recommendations for what to get next. Like you, I’m accustomed to how the Priv feels in my hands. And I really, really want something that is no bigger than the Priv; even smaller could be OK.

What would you recommend?
    What is the budget?
    06-22-20 10:36 PM
    I will say US$400, though I would definitely be OK closer to 300.
    06-22-20 10:46 PM
    I will say US$400, though I would definitely be OK closer to 300.
    https://www.amazon.com/Nokia-Unlocke...UvbUpU13523983

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galax...UvbUpU13523983

You can also see what the Pixel 4a will bring to the table.
    06-22-20 11:08 PM
    Thank you for your suggestions (and links!). I have thought about a Pixel (3a maybe? Are they all similarly sized?) The other two suggestions I know are well thought of, but their dimensions seem significantly larger than the Priv. Would you say that’s accurate? ... As you can tell, the size is a big deal to me. The Priv’s a good size, as would be something slightly smaller. It probably sounds trivial, but I want a phone that’ll fit in the front pocket of a pair of jeans :-)
    06-22-20 11:39 PM
    Thank you for your suggestions (and links!). I have thought about a Pixel (3a maybe? Are they all similarly sized?) The other two suggestions I know are well thought of, but their dimensions seem significantly larger than the Priv. Would you say that’s accurate? ... As you can tell, the size is a big deal to me. The Priv’s a good size, as would be something slightly smaller. It probably sounds trivial, but I want a phone that’ll fit in the front pocket of a pair of jeans :-)
    Pixel 3a is a good phone, only one big issue with it for me... No SD card support... You might want to check how much longer it will be supported with updates too, if that sort of thing is important to you, it has been around for a while...
    06-23-20 03:07 AM
    What phones do the people around you use? Is one of them the size your are looking for? Is the owner happy with it?

I'd try to milk the PRIV and see if the Pixle 4a does hit the market soon....
    But I also wouldn't ignore the iPhone SE either....
    06-23-20 11:15 AM
    Article from Android Central, something to consider when buying your new phone...

https://www.androidcentral.com/apple...update-support

Best in industry support from Apple...
    phuoc likes this.
    06-23-20 02:44 PM
    Article from Android Central, something to consider when buying your new phone...

https://www.androidcentral.com/apple...update-support

Best in industry support from Apple...
    In the end... Google is trying, but they don't want to rock the boat. A lot of pressure on them already, if they start throwing their weight around with new mandates.... Might find a lot of support for Harmony OS out there, or more complaints of monopolistic practices from governments.

Apple is a monopoly and they never pretend not to be. Google had to pretend they were "open" to catch up (and surpass Apple in market share). But that is also why things are so fractured in the Android market, and why after several programs meant to improve Android updates .... we are still dealing with a still very fractured market.
    Grungni likes this.
    06-23-20 03:15 PM
    In the end... Google is trying, but they don't want to rock the boat. A lot of pressure on them already, if they start throwing their weight around with new mandates.... Might find a lot of support for Harmony OS out there, or more complaints of monopolistic practices from governments.

Apple is a monopoly and they never pretend not to be. Google had to pretend they were "open" to catch up (and surpass Apple in market share). But that is also why things are so fractured in the Android market, and why after several programs meant to improve Android updates .... we are still dealing with a still very fractured market.
    You make very goods points and I myself prefer the Android OS and the choice of hardware available from all the different manufacturer's... You can't fault Apple though and with the price of some premium handsets some potential purchasers might decide the Apple route is best for them... I hear that iOS is going to incorporate a lot of Android features such as being able to change the default e-mail and browser apps and an app locker etc...
    phuoc likes this.
    06-23-20 03:23 PM
    Keyone.

I use the Priv as my work phone (and it still works great - I need to replace the battery soon though; as it keeps randomly resetting)

But my personal phone is the Keyone Black edition - I have had it for almost 2 years and I love it. It took some getting used to coming from the Priv but I have not been disappointed in its performance or style.

The battery life on it is amazing too - one charge can last two days with moderate use.

I would say the one downside is that it is no longer supported for security updates (last one was July of 19 I believe) and with some apps getting more resource needy - it can bog down at times - but never noticeably so, imho.

Also, considering your budget - I think the keyone will work well for you.
    06-25-20 01:26 PM
    Keyone.

I use the Priv as my work phone (and it still works great - I need to replace the battery soon though; as it keeps randomly resetting)

But my personal phone is the Keyone Black edition - I have had it for almost 2 years and I love it. It took some getting used to coming from the Priv but I have not been disappointed in its performance or style.

The battery life on it is amazing too - one charge can last two days with moderate use.

I would say the one downside is that it is no longer supported for security updates (last one was July of 19 I believe) and with some apps getting more resource needy - it can bog down at times - but never noticeably so, imho.

Also, considering your budget - I think the keyone will work well for you.
    I would agree with this, as I just bought a keyone black edition as my DD. Definitely will fit the budget.

Honestly, it's hard to make recommendations because everything is basically the same now imo. Besides Blackberry I do like Pixels though.
    06-25-20 09:00 PM
    I would agree with this, as I just bought a keyone black edition as my DD. Definitely will fit the budget.

Honestly, it's hard to make recommendations because everything is basically the same now imo. Besides Blackberry I do like Pixels though.
    I have a KeyOne BE and it's a great phone... They only thing I don't like about the Pixel phones is lack of SD card support...
    06-26-20 05:04 AM
    I have a KeyOne BE and it's a great phone... They only thing I don't like about the Pixel phones is lack of SD card support...
    I get that some like SD Cards....

But I much prefer the Cloud... and it hasn't failed me once yet (unlike several SD Cards have over the last 20 years). My view is buy a phone with at least 128GB of storage and combine that with Google Drive or iCloud along with OneDrive (lik having a backup to the backup) and you'll be fine. Heck even moving files via the cloud is faster....
    06-26-20 08:08 AM

But I much prefer the Cloud... and it hasn't failed me once yet (unlike several SD Cards have over the last 20 years). My view is buy a phone with at least 128GB of storage and combine that with Google Drive or iCloud along with OneDrive (lik having a backup to the backup) and you'll be fine. Heck even moving files via the cloud is faster....
    I like to store my Audible books, music collection and videos to watch when I travel and many of the pixels have only 64GB of storage which is not good to me... And when the chips are down I wouldn't like to rely on the cloud in order to access any information I needed... But that is just me... I have been lucky I guess never suffered an SD card failure... My data is always backed up to Onedrive anyway so an SD card failure wouldn't be too much of an issue... Have 128GB of storage with the Titan and a 200GB SD card from SanDisk...
    06-26-20 08:14 AM
    Android one lines and midrange samsung will do you a favor.
    06-26-20 07:46 PM

I have 150GB of music, a number of movies and TV shows, and other stuff on my 512GB SD card in my phone. I'm on the road a lot and often in areas with no or very limited (3G or Edge) cell service - for example, this week working up at Northstar in Tahoe at a customer's vacation home. As much as I use the cloud - and I use it a lot - I also need some things to work whether or not I have Internet (or regardless of how slow the Internet is), and so I only buy phones with SD cards.

I suppose this would be a good time to mention the LG V-series, for folks like me who are power-users of mobile devices and need ALL of the features, including very good cameras and high-end audio DACs for wired headphones.
    06-27-20 02:51 PM
    Pixel 3a is a good phone, only one big issue with it for me... No SD card support... You might want to check how much longer it will be supported with updates too, if that sort of thing is important to you, it has been around for a while...
    Pixels are guaranteed 3 OS letter updates. So the 3a came out with Pie/9, updated to Q/10, so it should get to at least S/12.
    06-30-20 06:40 PM
    Thank you all for your thoughtful replies. I'm still holding onto the Priv for now--it's still my favorite. For a replacement, though, I anticipate it'll be either a KeyOne (because it's BlackBerry, and BlackBerry's cool!), a Pixel (an older model, because they're easily modded, or a new one, because they'll get updates for years to come), or a Sony Xperia XZ1 compact (because it's small). The Priv is about as big as I can handle, so I'm actually thinking most seriously about the Xperia for now. ... Thanks again everyone!
    Exedorable likes this.
    06-30-20 07:44 PM
    Pixels are guaranteed 3 OS letter updates. So the 3a came out with Pie/9, updated to Q/10, so it should get to at least S/12.
    This article says support will end in October 2021 for security and feature updates...

https://www.androidauthority.com/pix...pdates-912585/
    07-01-20 01:52 AM
    This article says support will end in October 2021 for security and feature updates...

https://www.androidauthority.com/pix...pdates-912585/
    Yeah. That would be Android S / 12 as R / 11 will come out officially later this year presumably with the Pixel 5.
    07-01-20 06:05 AM
    Yeah. That would be Android S / 12 as R / 11 will come out officially later this year presumably with the Pixel 5.
    Yes this is understood, however if you buy the Pixel 3a today you will have just over a years support with security updates... Something the OP should consider... Always best to buy an Android phone at the beginning of life considering the three years support offered by suppliers...
    07-01-20 07:09 AM
    Yes this is understood, however if you buy the Pixel 3a today you will have just over a years support with security updates... Something the OP should consider... Always best to buy an Android phone at the beginning of life considering the three years support offered by suppliers...
    Pixel 3a is guaranteed updates and security patches to at least May 2022.
    07-01-20 09:49 AM
    Pixel 3a is guaranteed updates and security patches to at least May 2022.
    [IMG=540x810]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200701/42038e543defabea737e6bbc611fe992.jpg[/url]
    Ok, the Android Authority web page reported this differently... That's three years of support then if you had have purchased on the day of release... I think they should list the support cut off date in advertisements so that buyers are better informed regarding this...
    07-01-20 10:04 AM
    Ok, the Android Authority web page reported this differently... That's three years of support then if you had have purchased on the day of release...
    Or 18 months from the last (Google) sale - whichever is longer.
    07-01-20 10:06 AM
44 12