I still don't see the keyone nor the motion in Verizon anywhere. That is a HUGE market they have not even exposed themselves to.

My son-in-law works at verizon and my daughter works at sprint, neither one has even saw a motion nor keyone, and my son--in-law is the one that introduced my to the Priv and brought me into the blackberry world. I was never a BlackBerry fan before this phone
    Why would you? It's not a Verizon phone technically. It's a Verizon compatible phone that's not sold Verizon because Verizon decided to not offer it.
    02-24-18 08:46 AM
    They could but if I had to go out on a limb, I'd say the metrics just aren't there to support the idea of putting another slider into the market. They presumably have an idea of what BlackBerry sold with the Priv and just don't want to travel down that path, least not for the next 2-3 devices anyway. Maybe that will change in the future, but it's not likely to happen in the next 2-3 devices.
    Hopefully TLC is aware that AT&T, and their refusal to release an update, right at the initial rollout, was responsible for much, if not most of the Priv not selling.
    02-24-18 08:49 AM
    They just need to do better marketing / advertising. I still have people geeking out when they see me slide open my phone. If they placed this new phone in a good movie form Marvel or something, the Priv would have sold like crazy
    That's an easy excuse answer that doesn't add up. They've tried marketing hard in specific areas throughout North America at various times to see if it was worth launching larger campaigns and then numbers don't add up. There's more to it than just marketing.

Even starting with brand perception. Brand perception for BlackBerry is still very much based in the fact that when people think of BlackBerry they think of their old, BBOS devices that were slow, had crappy browser or were a tether to their device. One could argue they could fix that with marketing but it's a catch 22... it's not worth marketing unless you improve brand perception and you can't improve brand perception without marketing.
    02-24-18 08:49 AM
    That's an easy excuse answer that doesn't add up. They've tried marketing hard in specific areas throughout North America at various times to see if it was worth launching larger campaigns and then numbers don't add up. There's more to it than just marketing.

Even starting with brand perception. Brand perception for BlackBerry is still very much based in the fact that when people think of BlackBerry they think of their old, BBOS devices that were slow, had crappy browser or were a tether to their device. One could argue they could fix that with marketing but it's a catch 22... it's not worth marketing unless you improve brand perception and you can't improve brand perception without marketing.
    Exactly, proper marketing and exposure. Most young people have never heard of blackberry or know anything about what it was.

If you put your product out for proper exposure, it will cause interest. You can't change people's mind about your products or expose yourself to a new generation by hiding under a rock
    02-24-18 09:15 AM
    Exactly, proper marketing and exposure. Most young people have never heard of blackberry or know anything about what it was.

If you put your product out for proper exposure, it will cause interest. You can't change people's mind about your products or expose yourself to a new generation by hiding under a rock
    I don't think you understood.

The Priv got HEAVY advertising in some areas, and it did not convert to major sales. It was therefore not wise to expand the campaign.
    02-24-18 09:17 AM

The Priv got HEAVY advertising in some areas, and it did not convert to major sales. It was therefore not wise to expand the campaign.
    Where? Waterloo? Hahahahahahahaha!
    02-24-18 09:38 AM

Who cares if it got heavy exposure in one area. The WORLD is much bigger than one area.

Here is a list of cell phones per country
    Attached Thumbnails New Slider coming-screenshot_20180224-104324.jpg   New Slider coming-screenshot_20180224-104342.jpg  
    Qorax likes this.
    02-24-18 09:45 AM
    Who cares if it got heavy exposure in one area. The WORLD is much bigger than one area.

Do you understand the concept of test markets?

You go into areas where you traditionally do well, blanket the area, and see what the uptake is. If unsuccessful, you don't expand globally to throw good money after bad.
    02-24-18 09:56 AM

It was heavily marketed (for BlackBerry) in areas where BlackBerry had it's best marketshare (for BlackBerry). Keep in mind that BlackBerry was economically crippled at time of PRIV launch. Even now, BBMo/TCL is not in the best of economic health. They will stick with devices (PKB) that sell themselves and do small batch processing to match supply/demand to support price and minimize discounts. This is the new and improved normal for smaller OEM brands.
    02-24-18 09:57 AM
    Do you understand the concept of test markets?

You go into areas where you traditionally do well, blanket the area, and see what the uptake is. If unsuccessful, you don't expand globally to throw good money after bad.
    There is a difference between "test" markets and mass marketing, from the looks of these forums, blackberry would have to lay a complete egg for the diehard !! Users to leave. Look at how people swear they r leaving because they r not getting updates, but go get a new BlackBerry device,
    Qorax likes this.
    02-24-18 10:35 AM
    There is a difference between "test" markets and mass marketing, from the looks of these forums, blackberry would have to lay a complete egg for the diehard !! Users to leave. Look at how people swear they r leaving because they r not getting updates, but go get a new BlackBerry device,
    The Priv was a BlackBerry device. They are now out of the hardware business. (And have been for almost a year and a half).

The KEYᵒⁿᵉ and Motion are TCL devices, which are both part of the Android Enterprise program - committed to 3 years of patches, and at least 1 major update.

So back to marketing... Do I understand you correctly that if you were the CEO, you would have greenlit an extremely expensive global marketing campaign, for a company that was struggling financially, when the test market campaigns failed in areas typically strong for BlackBerry?
    02-24-18 10:37 AM
    It was heavily marketed (for BlackBerry) in areas where BlackBerry had it's best marketshare (for BlackBerry). Keep in mind that BlackBerry was economically crippled at time of PRIV launch. Even now, BBMo/TCL is not in the best of economic health. They will stick with devices (PKB) that sell themselves and do small batch processing to match supply/demand to support price and minimize discounts. This is the new and improved normal for smaller OEM brands.
    I didn't know much of blackberry other than a lot of government people used them, prior to me getting my wife's and my PRIV's. Had verizon not carried the Priv, I still would not own a BlackBerry device, I would own a new Samsung device.

Honestly,when my Priv dies, or starts to die, my next phone will be a Samsung device unless BlackBerry makes another slider. I have owned nothing but sliders and flip.
    My progression of phones prior to the priv
    Attached Thumbnails New Slider coming-img_20180224_1143494.jpg   New Slider coming-img_20180224_1144077.jpg  
    Last edited by TLSTWIN; 02-24-18 at 10:58 AM.
    Qorax likes this.
    02-24-18 10:46 AM
    The Priv was a BlackBerry device. They are now out of the hardware business. (And have been for almost a year and a half).

The KEYᵒⁿᵉ and Motion are TCL devices, which are both part of the Android Enterprise program - committed to 3 years of patches, and at least 1 major update.

So back to marketing... Do I understand you correctly that if you were the CEO, you would have greenlit an extremely expensive global marketing campaign, for a company that was struggling financially, when the test market campaigns failed in areas typically strong for BlackBerry?
    is that what I said? Nope. It doesn't matter that TCL makes the new phone, "blackberry" is still the name on the phone and people blindly went to it because of it because the trust item. just like I will go back to Samsung phones if another slider phone doesn't come out when I decide to switch
    Qorax likes this.
    02-24-18 10:52 AM
    is that what I said? Nope
    I guess I misunderstood you.

"Who cares if it got heavy exposure in one area. The WORLD is much bigger than one area."

"If you put your product out for proper exposure, it will cause interest. You can't change people's mind about your products or expose yourself to a new generation by hiding under a rock."
    02-24-18 10:54 AM
    "blackberry" is still the name on the phone and people blindly went to it because of it because the trust item.
    People went to the KEYᵒⁿᵉ because it's an awesome device. People aren't as stupid as you seem to think.
    Carjackd likes this.
    02-24-18 11:01 AM
    I guess I misunderstood you.

"Who cares if it got heavy exposure in one area. The WORLD is much bigger than one area."

"If you put your product out for proper exposure, it will cause interest. You can't change people's mind about your products or expose yourself to a new generation by hiding under a rock."
    You did, proper exposure doesn't mean pi$$ away money. Especially on a market that is faithfull. Like I said in the part u didn't quote. blackberry would have to lay a complete egg for those people not to come back.
    02-24-18 11:03 AM
    People went to the KEYᵒⁿᵉ because it's an awesome device. People aren't as stupid as you seem to think.
    How do u equate stupid to trust, might want to look up the definitions
    02-24-18 11:04 AM
    How do u equate stupid to trust, might want to look up the definitions
    I equated your use of the word trust to some kind of blind loyalty.

I still believe the quality and appropriateness of a particular device is the biggest factor in choosing a phone for most people.
    02-24-18 11:07 AM
    You did, proper exposure doesn't mean **** away money. Especially on a market that is faithfull. Like I said in the part u didn't quote. blackberry would have to lay a complete egg for those people not to come back.
    So you have a budget of $10-20 million for an international campaign. What do you suggest? Keep in mind that Samsung and iPhone spend over $1 billion a year.
    02-24-18 11:08 AM
    I equated your use of the word trust to some kind of blind loyalty.

I still believe the quality and appropriateness of a particular device is the biggest factor in choosing a phone for most people.
    I don't, people r loyal to a brand first, chevy , Ford, apple, Microsoft, etc. They r willing to overlook some flaws and later complain about them than choose the "best product"
    Qorax likes this.
    02-24-18 11:11 AM
    So you have a budget of $10-20 million for an international campaign. What do you suggest? Keep in mind that Samsung and iPhone spend over $1 billion a year.
    I have no idea, I don't know what the costs r normally , should be **but y waste money on a loyal market?** I am not say abandon them, but you have to get your name out there, product placement in movies ( how much does that cost? Do you know exactly, no guessing or bulkpark numbers?

**edit**
    I see u added the other information about samsung
    02-24-18 11:12 AM
    I didn't know much of blackberry other than a lot of government people used them, prior to me getting my wife's and my PRIV's. Had verizon not carried the Priv, I still would not own a BlackBerry device, I would own a new Samsung device.

Honestly,when my Priv dies, or starts to die, my next phone will be a Samsung device unless BlackBerry makes another slider. I have owned nothing but sliders and flip.
    My progression of phones prior to the priv
    So who else makes a slider right now? I don't know of any current Android/IOS slider devices.
    Steelsheen likes this.
    02-24-18 12:26 PM
    So who else makes a slider right now? I don't know of any current Android/IOS slider devices.
    Long shot but Moto Z with a Livermorium keyboard Moto mod.

It's a landscape slider though, and more caters to those who miss the Motorola Milestone.
    02-24-18 04:21 PM
    Just saw the Nokia 6 and 7+ 2018.

Now if only there is a phone with the 7+ specs in a Priv chassis...

...then I woke up.
    02-25-18 10:59 AM
    Just saw the Nokia 6 and 7+ 2018.

Now if only there is a phone with the 7+ specs in a Priv chassis...

...then I woke up.
    Meh. Slabs. Slabs everywhere.
    02-25-18 11:04 AM
85 1234