My friend was given a Priv through work. Her phone will primarily be work related - so she doesn't need to add things like Facebook. We have added her personal email account. But this might be the extent of personal things not work related.

So, I have seen many posts on here on things people added or went in and updated right from the start. I've seen posts about somehow updating the keyboard or adding an app to aid in functions. To avoid a prolonged search of the forums, can you recommend what needs to be added or updated only from a basic functioning standpoint when you first receive the Priv?

By the way, our first impression of the Priv has been VERY good - we both come from a couple of years with the Z10.

Posted via CB10
    04-03-16 05:57 AM
    The Android OS should have almost everything you need right out of the box.
    How about having her use the phone for work for a few days and see what she doesn't like or need...and then maybe someone can suggest a few apps for her. Most Priv owners are very pleased from what I read here.
    04-03-16 07:11 AM
    It does not come with a File Manager which is very handy or more than handy when you want to look for certain files and open them. Some of the recommendations are Solid, Asus and ES File Explorer but there are others.

Similarly, while it comes with a Google picture viewer, some folks seem to Suggest Piktures (yes, with a K). She might also want a music player.

As Jaydee suggested, use the device and its Native Keyboard before looking for other things. She might want to tweak the Notification sounds of her various email accounts (and also the led color) if she's like to distinguish them as they come in.

Wish her a good time with the new phone.
    04-03-16 08:53 AM
    Thanks. Those were good ideas. I had not considered a file manager. Like you both said, using for awhile will expose some things.

It's a bit frustrating because her IT basically said, "We don't know how to set up the Priv, go to Verizon" and Verizon checked everything out and said, "You need your IT to do some more. " So we have been doing it ourselves. I guess that helps us learn the phone, but it definitely is time consuming and trial by fire.

Posted via CB10
    04-03-16 09:32 AM
    What was her prior phone?

Actually, the Priv is pretty standard Android. So I don't know why folks are giving her a hard time. Now, for me, I will admit, that Android is a new experience, so I'm also still feeling my way around.

She can rearrange icons to create some order. Press/hold on an icon and you can slide it to a different screen, left or right. She can create Folders by same press/hold and sliding an icon over another. I've not done that but have definitely moved icons around. I kind of duplicated my icon arrangement from my Z30. Contacts, Calendar, Browser, Photos, Music, etc icons where they were on that prior phone. Just makes me more comfortable.

I've got some mapping, hiking apps and moved them close to one another. I moved a few File Manager icons next to each other as I try deciding which File Manager I want to use.

Another thing, plug in the usb cord and computer. The phone will show as

STV100-2 (in Windows Explorer and I would guess similar in Apple???).

If she clicks on that, it will show Internal Memory as one drive and if there's an sd-card, it as the second drive.

Oh, open the Camera app and find its settings and SAVE to sd-card if she has one. Then it will create a DCIM Folder on the card. In that Folder she can create subfolders that work like Albums and put her own photos there. Or she can do the same in Internal Memory.
    04-03-16 10:16 AM
    Good stuff, F2. Thanks. Her previous phone from work was an iPhone 4. She has a personal Z10 like me. I have an Android tablet which has helped me figure out where to find and set some things for her. I have been interested in The Priv for months now and this recent development of helping her with her work phone is giving me Priv-envy. Seems like a really nice phone.

Posted via CB10
    04-03-16 10:36 AM
    Good stuff, F2. Thanks. Her previous phone from work was an iPhone 4. She has a personal Z10 like me. I have an Android tablet which has helped me figure out where to find and set some things for her. I have been interested in The Priv for months now and this recent development of helping her with her work phone is giving me Priv-envy. Seems like a really nice phone.

Posted via CB10
    I came from z30 was great phone, before that I used to have z10 best phone ever.

I didn't like android and after 2 months I wished I bought an iPhone. Just the way android works is not like BBOS10 or iPhone.

In the end I bought an app from Google Play called iLauncher. It changed my user experience to more like an iPhone or BBOS10. Now I feel much better and it's been great since then.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    04-03-16 11:11 AM

Posted via CB10
    I went from the 9930 to the Z10 to the Z30. I do really miss BB10. It w ( keep getting access denied to saving any changes to this post!!!)
    04-03-16 11:14 AM
    The BlackBerry Launcher updates caused lag issues. I recommend updating all the BlackBerry Apps, except for that one until a better Launcher update comes out.

04-03-16 11:15 AM
    Keeping the OS up to date is a good idea, especially on a work phone. BlackBerry is supplying monthly security patches, usually between 12 and 20 MB of size, which fixes known security holes of Android.

Keeping apps up to date she uses on a daily basis is also a good idea. I don't know if she uses BBRY apps like Hub or Calendar on the Priv, but those can be updated easily on the Google Play Store and updates should be applied if they are offered. Same goes for background services like Android Webworks or BlackBerry Services.

It is actually very, very poor of her "IT" department not being able to offer any help with the phone, especially considering the Priv is, as already stated, pretty much a stock Android experience. There are some BBRY specific refinements here and there, but every user who knows basic Android stuff shouldn't have any problem using it out of the box.
    04-03-16 11:17 AM
    When (or if) android Marshmallow comes out, rumors say that all apps permissions will be able to be controlled individually. This should open you up to the idea of using more of the Google Play Apps.
    04-03-16 12:39 PM
    When (or if) android Marshmallow comes out, rumors say that all apps permissions will be able to be controlled individually. This should open you up to the idea of using more of the Google Play Apps.
    It's not a rumor, it is a vital part of Marshmallow. However as far as I have read, one shouldn't expect BB10-like permission functionality. It seems like a developer has to clearly enable this for his/her app, if he doesn't, denying a permission can stop the app from running at all. Having said that, I haven't read too much into this topic and also don't have access to a Marshmallow running device as of yet, but that's what I got from some comments and reports.
    FF22 likes this.
    04-03-16 01:55 PM
    Thanks again. Taigetrommel, she has already remarked many times that she wished her IT department was stronger. I mean, how crazy is it that they could not set up her company email - I did it for her yesterday? They just handed the phone back and suggested she take it to Verizon as they said the set up was hard.

Posted via CB10
    04-03-16 01:59 PM
    I took your suggestions and updated everything that needed updated except BlackBerry Launcher. I added the Asus File Manager and still don't know if I have it set up correctly to store her photos on her SD card. Anyway, thanks everyone for the tips. This community is great!

Posted via CB10
    FF22, oakakaemmy, zyad and 1 others like this.
    04-03-16 02:02 PM
    download this app it will make your battery last all day and then some and really helped mine to perform.

All-in-one Toolbox, it shuts down apps that run in the back ground until you open them. plus its free
    04-03-16 05:38 PM
    I took your suggestions and updated everything that needed updated except BlackBerry Launcher. I added the Asus File Manager and still don't know if I have it set up correctly to store her photos on her SD card. Anyway, thanks everyone for the tips. This community is great!

Posted via CB10
    It should be farily simple: Open the Camera, select settings and scroll down to the bottom, there is an option for media card - enable it. The easiest way checking whether it works or not: Take some photos and check your SD card (either with the file manager or by connecting her Priv via USB to a computer) and look for a folder called DCIM , this is where the pictures will be stored.
    04-03-16 06:31 PM
    Thanks Taigetrommel and Textrel.

Posted via CB10
    04-03-16 07:37 PM
    no thanks for me?

wow

lol may your battery last only a hour
    04-03-16 08:35 PM
    no thanks for me?

wow

lol may your battery last only a hour
    I think YOU ARE Textrel!!!

04-03-16 08:54 PM
    I think YOU ARE Textrel!!!

04-03-16 10:34 PM
    Sorry texn.

Posted via CB10
    04-04-16 07:15 PM
    The Android OS should have almost everything you need right out of the box.
    How about having her use the phone for work for a few days and see what she doesn't like or need...and then maybe someone can suggest a few apps for her. Most Priv owners are very pleased from what I read here.
    Does not have a file manager. Or a memory management/force close app.

Posted via R115-Aramis.
    04-04-16 07:21 PM
    Solid Explorer (paid) for file management. Black Player for music. Kodi is a great multimedia app with many uses. I disabled everything possible from Google and the Hub is working great for me.

I use Firefox for a browser and disabled Chrome. I use Cross DJ Pro for music mixing. I use Caustic for making beats. I installed the Amazon app store and enabled third party installs so I could use my paid copy of Docs To Go, then I disabled all the Google docs apps, and disabled third party installs to maintain my DTEK rating of excellent.

I use all the free Adobe documentation apps for filling out and signing pdf forms. I use the free Adobe photo shop app and Premier Clip for photo and video editing.

I use the HP ePrint app, standard HP printing plug in in case I have to print off any documents I've edited or signed, which is rare because I believe in using little to no paper for stuff like that since it's 2016 and all.

I use Google Earth because it's fun and works really well on the Priv. I use Intel Remote Keyboard for controlling my Surface.

I use BBM a lot. I use the default "Messenger" app for SMS.

I use BBVE to test my device if needed and of course right out of the box.

04-04-16 08:06 PM
    The BlackBerry Launcher updates caused lag issues. I recommend updating all the BlackBerry Apps, except for that one until a better Launcher update comes out.

I just got myself a used priv. Should I do a factory reset though it seems the previous owner already did that? Also is there a way of updating all the apps at once. I'm having to update all apps one by one. So far I've updated BBM, keyboard, notes. I'm sure to miss one if I do it this way. Surely there should be an easy way.
    04-04-16 08:16 PM
    I just got myself a used priv. Should I do a factory reset though it seems the previous owner already did that? Also is there a way of updating all the apps at once. I'm having to update all apps one by one. So far I've updated BBM, keyboard, notes. I'm sure to miss one if I do it this way. Surely there should be an easy way.
    When you check the Google Play Store, you should get an option "update all" under "my apps and games" tab.
    If a factory reset has already been done by the previous owner, there is no real need for another one.
    04-04-16 08:19 PM
28 12