Hi guys,
    So I took the plunge and managed to get a Priv (following on from a previous thread I did about moving on from my Classic, which I've had forever!) and managed to pick one up for £200 here in London and getting it delivered in a few days

Any ideas on ideal must-have apps or settings (particularly File Manager type ones) - never used Android before, but anything first-timers need, would be great!

Cheers!

Posted via White BlackBerry Classic / Follow Me @OMGItsRLR
    03-16-17 08:10 AM
    Hi guys,
    So I took the plunge and managed to get a Priv (following on from a previous thread I did about moving on from my Classic, which I've had forever!) and managed to pick one up for £200 here in London and getting it delivered in a few days

Any ideas on ideal must-have apps or settings (particularly File Manager type ones) - never used Android before, but anything first-timers need, would be great!

Cheers!

Posted via White BlackBerry Classic / Follow Me @OMGItsRLR
    Welcome to the club.

File managers recommended pretty widely are the Asus File manager and Solid File Manager. There's an oldie, Ghost Commander, that I've had - a bit more complex.

PiKtures for photos if you don't want Google.

A wide variety of music players. Black, Pi, Poweramp.
    03-16-17 09:29 AM
    Start with disabling all the apps on it that you don't use. That way you don't keep keep getting updates for them, and they won't use any resources.
    In addition to FF22's suggestions, disable the stock Google Messenger app and use Yaata or Textra.
    Super Backup will allow you to backup and restore SMS messages and call logs to the SD card, (or the cloud). The Google back up will not do this.
    Opera or Ghostery are both better browsers than the stock Chrome.
    Accuweather is the best weather app if you happen to live in the South East part of US. It's good anywhere, but some others may be a bit more accurate in other parts of the world.
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    03-16-17 09:39 AM
    Congrats on having the Priv!

Posted via CB10
    03-16-17 09:53 AM
    Welcome to the club! Honestly I fought hard against changing my messaging app from default. I then got so annoyed at not being able to hit enter on the keyboard to send a text. So I switched to textra, and wow. The hub integration is amazing. Just enable enter to send and you'll be so happy.
    03-16-17 01:23 PM
    I switched my messaging to Pulse. You can also use it on a tablet or a computer. I wanted more gestures so I changed my Launcher to Nova Launcher Premier. Well worth it. My music player is BlackPlayer. Pretty simple, easy to use player.
    03-16-17 02:39 PM
    I switched my messaging to Pulse. You can also use it on a tablet or a computer.
    Interesting concept, but it only works with computer if you are using Chrome or FireFox as a browser?
    03-16-17 02:54 PM
    I'm a new owner as well and have been finding that a lot of my apps crash -- even after trying both hard and soft resets.
    Some apps don't even work properly at all but it seems that an uninstall/reinstall seems to fix the most problematic apps.

Is having different apps crashing multiple times a day normal on this device? I don't want to go through the trouble of reinstalling all of my apps unless I have to.
    03-17-17 04:24 PM
    I'm a new owner as well and have been finding that a lot of my apps crash -- even after trying both hard and soft resets.
    Some apps don't even work properly at all but it seems that an uninstall/reinstall seems to fix the most problematic apps.

Is having different apps crashing multiple times a day normal on this device? I don't want to go through the trouble of reinstalling all of my apps unless I have to.
    Gee, i'd suggest that's unusual behaviour. I've had my priv since early January this year, and haven't had crashes of any kind.

Are you using a brand mew priv, or did you buy it second hand?

I'm wondering if it's something to do with the playstore app ........

Edit
    You have upgraded the OS to marshmallow have you?
    03-17-17 05:28 PM
    Re camera app,i use and thoroughly recommend Toolwiz photos:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...om.btows.photo

This app is free, has an enormous number of very easy to use features, even for an edit noob like me. (I contribute $1.50 every now and again)

Here's part of their blurb:
    "It has been very difficult to make one huge APP like Toolwiz Photos. Especially for a group of people with high school degrees. The men who made all the filters are congenital hemophilia patients. The developer who made the core engine is a congenital deafness patient. Converting these barriers into strengths, the young team keeps moving forward to produce the most amazing tools for you to use."
    03-17-17 05:37 PM
    Gee, i'd suggest that's unusual behaviour. I've had my priv since early January this year, and haven't had crashes of any kind.

Are you using a brand mew priv, or did you buy it second hand?

I'm wondering if it's something to do with the playstore app ........

Edit
    You have upgraded the OS to marshmallow have you?
    Bought the device new sealed in box.
    I'm running on Marshmallow and on latest March update.

Maybe I should reformat...?
    03-17-17 11:47 PM
    Bought the device new sealed in box.
    I'm running on Marshmallow and on latest March update.

Maybe I should reformat...?
    Maybe factory reset is last resort, I'm not sure.

And the apps you downloaded are from the google playstore and not just apk's downloaded from the internet?

Maybe wait for someone more knowledgeable than me to help out ....
    03-18-17 12:08 AM
    Maybe factory reset is last resort, I'm not sure.

And the apps you downloaded are from the google playstore and not just apk's downloaded from the internet?

Maybe wait for someone more knowledgeable than me to help out ....
    I think I may have narrowed it down... to my SD card. I noticed that some apps were installed in the phone's internal memory but others were in the SD card. The problematic apps looked awfully similar to the apps listed on my SD card. So far I reformatted the card and reinstalled the apps into internal memory instead.

The phone seems to be running better with less lag and no crashes.

I was using a 32GB Samsung Evo -- when I was originally setting up my phone, it said that the SD card was too slow but still let me proceed. If everything is fixed, I'm going to get a better /faster card.
    Last edited by yyz321; 03-20-17 at 10:41 AM.
    FF22 likes this.
    03-18-17 12:31 AM
    Did you download this BlackBerry app prior to formatting the sd card:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ackberry.exfat

And also this app:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...humanlogic.sdi

To test your existing sd card to see if it's genuine.
    03-18-17 12:53 AM
    File manager - File Commander

Music Player - BlackPlayer

VPN - Cyber Ghost

Notes - Google Keep (the notes for this app saves from sync)

Launcher - I prefer Google Now Launcher

Haven't had mine for a week yet and have enjoyed it more and more each day. Feels good to be back with blackberry with the PRIV after a year layoff lol.
    FF22 and bruteforce037 like this.
    03-18-17 12:56 AM
    03-18-17 01:00 AM
    -waze
    -Snapchat
    -whatsapp
    -Viber
    -instagram
    -Twitter
    Most of microsoft apps are excellent. In addition of all the Google suite stuffs already "on board".
    Office mobile can replace a fews apps. If your ready to work directly on a server.

You can also ask your family and friends what they use most of the time.

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    03-18-17 01:05 AM
    And a forgot: Sophos Mobile Security

Posted via CB10
    03-18-17 01:09 AM
    Did you download this BlackBerry app prior to formatting the sd card:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ackberry.exfat

And also this app:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...humanlogic.sdi

To test your existing sd card to see if it's genuine.
    I didn't install the first one but did use the second one.
    Not sure if SD card is real because it says Samsung with 31GB but doesn't show the model number.
    03-18-17 07:22 AM
    Not sure if SD card is real because it says Samsung with 31GB but doesn't show the model number.
    You only need BlackBerry Exfat if your SD card is 64gb or larger.
    anon(3641385) and yyz321 like this.
    03-18-17 06:41 PM
    I have finally settled on Textra as my text app after trying many. As previously pointed out the HUB integration is one of the best available and it seems to work quickly and flawlessly.

For photos I have tried everything recommended and never got comfortable with any of them. I have been using Google Photos for the last 2 months and am really happy. It feels like a premium photo program and I'm happy with it.
    03-18-17 07:14 PM
    You may find this thread of interest:
    https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...-priv-1096984/

I learnt a lot from the posters in that thread 😀
    yyz321 likes this.
    03-19-17 12:24 AM
    It really depends on your use case, there's not only five or six apps to choose from. I mean, I use Reddit, SSH and terminal a lot but you might not, so recommending them wouldn't make much sense.

But anyway, for some general recommendations, I use Google Play Music for music, VLC for videos, Google Photos for pictures, Signal for SMS, Chrome for the Web, and the BlackBerry suite minus Password Keeper (Lastpass instead) for the rest.

My usual time wasting is on Twitter (default app), Reddit (Baconreader) or with a crossword (Shortyz).
    FF22 likes this.
    03-19-17 02:48 AM
    Excel,
    Word,
    Onedrive,
    Office lens
    Textra
    Piktures
    Nova launcher
    Solid Explorer paid
    Disa
    Xbox one smartglass
    Facebook lite
    Messenger lite
    Hive for my heating

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    03-19-17 04:50 AM
    I think I may have narrowed it down... to my SD card. I noticed that some apps were installed in the phone's internal memory but others were in the SD card. The problematic apps looked awfully similar to the apps listed on my SD card. So far I reformatted the card and reinstalled the apps into internal memory instead.

The phone seems to be running better with less lag and no crashes.

I was using a 32GB Samsung Evo -- when I was originally setting up my phone, it said that the SD card was too slow but still let me proceed. If everything is fixed, I'm going to get a better /faster card.
    Even the fastest SD cards are slower than the onboard, and if you have apps on SD, then you've definitely set it up as internal. I suspect all your problems are from using a borderline SD configured as internal.
    I'd re-configure it as external, before it causes more problems.
    And make sure you get whatever you want off the card before removing it from phone. Cards set up as internal can corrupt on removal or re-insertion. So make sure the phone is completely OFF before doing either.
    yyz321 likes this.
    03-22-17 09:03 PM