05-04-15 09:35 PM
629 ... 1011121314 ...
tools
    Still, until this day, and even though I bought a Passport for a few days...

BlackBerry completely gimped the keyboard on that phone. Giving it 3, instead of 4 rows and no dedicated physical alt button with alt functions on the keys, lowered the possible productivity immensely for me.
    One of the dumbest decisions in regard to that device (making a touch sensitive keyboard that freaks out at certain weather conditions, might be another).
    I don't buy a physical keyboard device to then type on the touchscreen half of the time....

Same question as usually when people talk about typo:
    So how many did the guy sell?
    How many keyboard accessories for phones (not tablets) are sold each year?
    99.9% of the market is composed of touchscreen devices.
    If people really want a keyboard, wouldn't a sizable part of the market buy those accessories?

If you want to say that 0.1% is still more than nothing, I congratulate you. You'll win the semantic argument.
    If however, you understand that 0.1% of the whole market are completely negligible and are basically as low as you'll ever get (because you will be placed in the others group at some point), then yes, "nobody" wants physical keyboards anymore. At least on their phones.

That's the biggest question mark for me.
    How in their right mind, could anyone think that producing a slider, and selling only a slider, is a better idea than to use the hardware and make a touchscreen phone?
    Or at least sell both. Because that would make the most sense....

Chen hates all touch. I think its that simple.

Why would I buy a slider to not use the slider part?????????????????????????????????????????????? ??

Like honestly, why would I need the added bulk, the whole construction, if I don't want to use it?

Are you for real?
    Should I also buy the Passport and not use the keyboard if I want an all touch high-end BlackBerry?

I don't know if you understand what this roadmap means...
    It's probably one of the worst BlackBerry ever had.
    Just curious, where did you get your .01% and 99.99% stats from? Would you be kind enough to provide the link(s), thanks.
    03-03-15 12:51 PM
    No, you speak for yourself! If people beg for you to kill yourself, will you do it? People wanted a full touch except for like 12 BlackBerry fans who wanted a slider

Posted via CB10
    I make it 13
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    03-03-15 12:53 PM

Why would I buy a slider to not use the slider part?????????????????????????????????????????????? ??

Like honestly, why would I need the added bulk, the whole construction, if I don't want to use it?
    I'm a big all-touch guy now too.

I'm prepared to keep an open mind until I see more. IF (big IF) they keep the weight and battery life about the same as the Z30, then I would be OK with it. I might even use the keyboard from time to time. It is a compromise device for sure, but I'll reserve judgement for now.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2267
    03-03-15 12:55 PM
    I'm going to start hard selling my passport to my wife. Then use her upgrade when the Z-Torch comes out.
    03-03-15 12:55 PM
    Well, I'm very likely to buy this device. As it looks right now it is the same Samsung AMOLED 5.1" screen that Samsung is using on their Galaxy S6 Edge. It is possible that it is 1920x1080 as well. 1440x2560 would fit better as the Passport has a 1440x1440 display and 1440x2560 would just extend that. Since there are already rumors about Samsung being interested in Blackberry, it increases the possibility that they are using the Exynos 7420 instead of Qualcomm 810. That would be better as 810 has more problems with heat.

I just wonder how it is to move from the quite wide keyboard of the Passport to a more crammed keyboard of this slider.
    03-03-15 12:57 PM
    How in their right mind, could anyone think that producing a slider, and selling only a slider, is a better idea than to use the hardware and make a touchscreen phone?

For a company that has a gigantic love affair with reusing 90+% of components in all their phones years after their expiry date it is frustrating that they won't put that philosophy towards a touch device using the same components as the slider. At the end of the day, I don't think Chen hates touch, he just thinks there is no chance to sell a meaningful number of devices considering who he is competing against. The best we can hope for is wildly successful slider sales that allow them to release a touch to market.
    03-03-15 12:58 PM
    Definitely interested in that device.

BBM Channel:C0001F285 | www.djbrians.com
    03-03-15 01:00 PM
    Yeah, because people want a 1:1 screen ratio touchscreen device.....
    Oh wait, they don't!

A normal 16:9 high end touch device would have been needed.
    If you take the Passport as is and instead of having k-board you have more screen then you place the k-board under...Now it does not become 1.1 screen ratio.
    03-03-15 01:01 PM
    Probably posted before, yet with a fairly good quality.
    How thin it is for a pre-pre-production unit !!!

New Device - Slider with Curved display, coming 2015!-blackberry-slider.jpg
    03-03-15 01:04 PM
    The problem with the passport is that it's too wide for many people, just holding it one handed is tricky. I prefer the dimensions of this new slider.
    03-03-15 01:04 PM
    Probably posted before, yet with a fairly good quality.
    How thin it is for a pre-pre-production unit !!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blackberry-slider.jpg 
Views:	775 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	338468
    I doubt it's pre-production unit, the final production version will look exactly the same I bet.
    03-03-15 01:06 PM

BlackBerry completely gimped the keyboard on that phone. Giving it 3, instead of 4 rows and no dedicated physical alt button with alt functions on the keys, lowered the possible productivity immensely for me.
    One of the dumbest decisions in regard to that device (making a touch sensitive keyboard that freaks out at certain weather conditions, might be another).
    I don't buy a physical keyboard device to then type on the touchscreen half of the time....
    Your post is way too long mate, and full of a lot of odd statements that don't make sense as well as very "out there" facts with no sources..

And not sure about you, but I know I'm extremely productive with the Passport and it's supposedly 'limited' 3-row keyboard.

Not going to lie, it was a bit of a learning curve and took me a week to get used to it and then another couple to master it, but now I'm extremely productive! Moreso than I ever was with any past BlackBerry I've had (such as the Bold series and the Torch series)

Also it doesn't freak out at certain weather conditions, just to clarify. It's your cold hands that mess it up. I used mine outdoors in Canada all the time and all winter so far, have yet to have it freak out when I'm using either my touchscreen gloves or when I have my hands in my pockets prior to typing on the phone. It's really not an issue :\

Praise be unto our Lord Squircle | Passport SQW100-1/10.3.1.2072
    homer1475 likes this.
    03-03-15 01:06 PM
    I got excited about that three rows touch sensitive keyboard concept that popped out with a mechanical mechanism! was maybe expecting something like that
    that would have been innovative, and would have reduced the overall size of the device when keyboard was out..

this phone is a Hybrid Samsung/BlackBerry that will be probably be 18cm tall when opened...

Maybe you should tell TYPO and Ryan Seacrest that "people nowadays don't want pkb's"
    Same question as usually when people talk about typo:
    So how many did the guy sell?
    How many keyboard accessories for phones (not tablets) are sold each year?
    99.9% of the market is composed of touchscreen devices.
    If people really want a keyboard, wouldn't a sizable part of the market buy those accessories?

If you want to say that 0.1% is still more than nothing, I congratulate you. You'll win the semantic argument.
    If however, you understand that 0.1% of the whole market are completely negligible and are basically as low as you'll ever get (because you will be placed in the others group at some point), then yes, "nobody" wants physical keyboards anymore. At least on their phones.

Why can't they just reuse these components minus the slider and build an all touch on the back of this phone? I really hope BlackBerry has a successor to the Z30 otherwise they are going to lose even their die hard customers. When it comes to HW, Chen is clueless.

Are you saying that the Passport will not sell?

Cause I'm pretty sure that they already sold a lot more than they expected. And, I'm very confident that they already made a profit off of selling the Passport. And, I definitely know that the secondary effect of the Passport was to generate more buzz about BB10 than the Z10, Z3, Q10, Q5 and Z30 did, combined.
    The Passport is news from yesterday to be honest.

It didn't sell a lot either, when we look at the whole market and realistically, no one will copy the design because the market for such a device is just too small.

When people want to sell the Passport as a success story, I am always slightly confused. It didn't flop as hard as the Q5/Z30 or the Z10 when it got initially introduced with 10.0.
    So yes, the Passport isn't a Flop. But it definitely isn't a success either.

Or, that Apple knew that they would lose the lawsuit, just like TYPO did and that BlackBerry would sue for a lot more and get a lot more than what they got off of TYPO.
    Or because Apple's whole strategy, in terms of devices and accessories, was to market all touch devices that are radically different from those old antiquated keyboard phones and to sell a 1st party keyboard accessory would completely undermine that message?

But yes! I am sure you are correct. It's because Apple fears BlackBerry so much, and the potential pocket change such a law suit might have cost them.

I have the feeling that the reality distortion field is at full force, after one of the worst Roadmaps BlackBerry ever had.
    One might even smell something like... Desperation.

For those that poo-poo a slider keyboard, you've never tried a Palm/HP pre phone. I can touch type without looking at the phone at all and the integration with the OS is amazing. I type anything and it gives me all the options... email it, text it, save it to memo, look it up on the web, matching contacts, etc. Since WebOS is reaching a critical point for me, BlackBerry has come the closest to the spirit of WebOS design. If this phone is out on Verizon for a reasonable price, I'm in.
    I absolutely adore good sliders.
    99.9% of phones last year were all touch devices.

What does that tell you about me, BlackBerry's ability to make phones the market wants, and the slider?

Speak for yourself. People have been begging for a slider.
    Who are these million people?
    Were can I find them?
    Or do you mean the 500 regulars on different tech blogs, who still whine about the loss of their slider (me included)?

There's no market for a slider, if BlackBerry actually wants some growth. If they are happy with their 7 million phones a year, I actually don't even mind the slider.

Flash back 6 months, people on this forum were asking for a slider.

Flash forward to today, BlackBerry announces a slider and people are complaining.

There is really no pleasing you guys haha.
    Lol.
    Well, releasing a slider but not an all touch high-end device is just dumb. We honestly should complain even more.
    03-03-15 01:12 PM
    Sorry, but it's time to trot out the tired old CrackBerry car metaphor.

Imagine if one company made sedans. Really nice sedans. Successful sedans. Market dominating sedans.

So every company started making sedans, and ultimately, stopped making everything else. You would go to the dealer and ask for a truck, a jeep, an SUV, or a sporty little coupe, and they would say, "Sorry, we don't do that anymore, but you can have a nice sedan."

Now imagine that every major automaker did this and lost money on those sedans. But they kept on building sedans and only sedans.

So one company says, "would you like a truck? How about a Jeep?" Do you think consumers and automotive journalists would all say, "WTF? Why are they making anything but sedans? Where's this year's sedan? I want my luxury sedan, dammit! Jeeps are so last year...."
    Last edited by Shuswap; 03-03-15 at 01:24 PM.
    03-03-15 01:13 PM
    I doubt it's pre-production unit, the final production version will look exactly the same I bet.
    Well, at least screens are fake (yet lighted) ... or we shoud see selected icons somewhere under his left hand, no ?
    03-03-15 01:13 PM
    Why would I buy a slider to not use the slider part???

New Device - Slider with Curved display, coming 2015!-slider-back.jpg
    SO BULKY!!!

Honestly, I'm probably going to get this phone and never use the slider. I loved my 9810, but when I got the Z10, I fell in love with the BB10 Virtual Keyboard. It's the REST of what this phone might be that's probably going to sell me.
    03-03-15 01:14 PM
    I read a lot of people saying that sliders are for a small pockets of customers but I remember when the torch came out, in the greater Vancouver area, 7/10 blackberries I saw were torches. My whole family, half my friends (equal to number of iphones) and the majority of customers who came to my work and had berries were sporting torches. It's a brilliant form factor and if they pump out a new one that's even half as durable as my torch 9800 was running bb10 well boy howdy that's a slam dunk in my books, I'll be first in line.

Posted via CB10
    ^^^ This ^^^

Posted via CB10
    happeebug likes this.
    03-03-15 01:15 PM
    any news as to what would be the specs of that phone???
    03-03-15 01:16 PM
    Any news as to when it's expected to release?

Posted via CB10
    03-03-15 01:20 PM
    Maybe if they have a button to lock the keyboard then I'll buy it

Posted via CB10
    Ohhh, now it's maybe! LMAO, you'll be the first to buy one! LOL
    pttptppt likes this.
    03-03-15 01:27 PM
    SO BULKY!!!

Honestly, I'm probably going to get this phone and never use the slider. I loved my 9810, but when I got the Z10, I fell in love with the BB10 Virtual Keyboard. It's the REST of what this phone might be that's probably going to sell me.
    Remembering when I first got my 9800. I wanted to disable the touch screen.
    david7saad and homer1475 like this.
    03-03-15 01:30 PM
    Or, that Apple knew that they would lose the lawsuit, just like TYPO did and that BlackBerry would sue for a lot more and get a lot more than what they got off of TYPO.
    They wouldn't make such similar keyboard.
    03-03-15 01:31 PM
    ... at least with a slider, you'll have the option to use the touchscreen when it starts double typing
    david7saad, AL8x B and jakie55 like this.
    03-03-15 01:33 PM
    Why can't they just reuse these components minus the slider and build an all touch on the back of this phone? I really hope BlackBerry has a successor to the Z30 otherwise they are going to lose even their die hard customers. When it comes to HW, Chen is clueless.
    Just super glue the slide and you a go!
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    03-03-15 01:34 PM
    If this device is slim enough and doesn't compromise on specs, I don't think you full touch lovers would mind it too much. Just forget the device ever had a slide out keyboard and voila! You have yourself a flagship full touch!

Posted via CB10
    03-03-15 01:39 PM
629 ... 1011121314 ...