Not entirely true.

Certainly not many ordinary consumers would buy it, but Chen has made little secret of the fact that ordinary consumers aren't his focus. Corporate IT buyers might buy it, to offer their people a choice of form-factors, if it was "good enough". Very few IT department heads would pay for what I suspect they'd regard as gold-plating ... top-end processor, huge RAM, etc. ... but they'd buy into a value proposition easily enough.

There may be buyers who would consider buying the slider as a compromise device in lieu of a full-touch, but I think you underestimate the considerable number of Torch-fans who would buy this device for preference.

And, we're back to consumers.

While I'm sure Chen is happy to take consumer money, consumers are not his intended target for any of these devices. And if enterprise doesn't buy into these devices in a BIG way.... there'll be no "next year's high end device". Chen is done chasing the consumer market. He simply can't compete in that space.
    While I agree with everything you said, you have to understand that nowadays, corporate users are consumers too. They want HD screens with high specs so they can play the occasional game or watch a movie

Posted via CB10
    03-29-15 08:46 AM
    While I agree with everything you said, you have to understand that nowadays, corporate users are consumers too. They want HD screens with high specs so they can play the occasional game or watch a movie
    I'm sure they do want all those wonderful things, I would too.

However, in a corporate environment, it won't be their money being spent. It'll be bought using company money authorised by the Head of IT. Good luck getting any purchase request form signed by your Head of IT if it contains a justification for "HD screens with high specs so they can play the occasional game or watch a movie".

If your Head of IT is anything like the ones I know... the form will be returned with "denied - insufficient business justification" scrawled across it ... and you'll be issued with your choice of no-frills, gets the job done, officially sanctioned device.

Unless you happen to outrank your Head of IT on the corporate tree, then that's where it ends.

But, if you think that'll work, I wish you the very best of luck.
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    03-29-15 09:54 AM
    Chen might be on to something. He might be trying to reverse the BYOD practice. If BlackBerry can make efficient and secure devices affordable enough to attract bulk purchases by businesses or governments, it could gain the lead in that market share.
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-29-15 10:24 AM
    Sorry Jeep, but I'm with everyone else on this one. This phone will do absolutely awful if it is not high end. The people in the IT departments are the ones who pick phones, and while it may be low cost, there's no way they'd pick a low-end hardware device for their company where the employees would be frustrated with the specs or forced to carry two devices (while many of you do this, a large majority absolutely hate it). Why would they do that when they could just make it BYOD and people would be happy with it?

If they give a flagship-quality phone with good specs that can actually DO things, that's what everyone wants. Have you tried running any CAD software on your Z10 or potentially your Leap yet? It does not run well. That just crossed out a sizable chunk of the potential enterprise market.

I'd be extremely surprised if it's not a high-quality phone, though I could understand if BlackBerry wants to keep the Passport as their flagship keyboard device.

It'd be similar to the Torch series, which were high-end in BlackBerry terms, but it was never the flagship device because the Bold series were their flagship phones.

I think it will be a flagship, impressive device, but I wouldn't be too astonished if they drop the flagship title and keep that to the Passport and future Passport-offsprings the same as the Bold series.

Praise be unto our Lord, Squircle | Passport SQW100-1/10.3.1.2558
    CDM76 likes this.
    03-29-15 11:12 AM
    Sorry Jeep, but I'm with everyone else on this one. This phone will do absolutely awful if it is not high end. The people in the IT departments are the ones who pick phones, and while it may be low cost, there's no way they'd pick a low-end hardware device for their company where the employees would be frustrated with the specs or forced to carry two devices (while many of you do this, a large majority absolutely hate it). Why would they do that when they could just make it BYOD and people would be happy with it?

If they give a flagship-quality phone with good specs that can actually DO things, that's what everyone wants. Have you tried running any CAD software on your Z10 or potentially your Leap yet? It does not run well. That just crossed out a sizable chunk of the potential enterprise market.

I'd be extremely surprised if it's not a high-quality phone, though I could understand if BlackBerry wants to keep the Passport as their flagship keyboard device.

It'd be similar to the Torch series, which were high-end in BlackBerry terms, but it was never the flagship device because the Bold series were their flagship phones.

I think it will be a flagship, impressive device, but I wouldn't be too astonished if they drop the flagship title and keep that to the Passport and future Passport-offsprings the same as the Bold series.
    It's OK to disagree with me, just hope I'm not similar to the guy who will be signing off on your purchase request. LOL

I have to say that either you've all been very lucky in your corporate experience, or I've been particularly unlucky. I've rarely been given a choice of device, and when I have it's either box a or box b from a pre-selected shortlist. I've always tried to tick the BYOD option whenever it's available (but it isn't always).

I think though I've been slightly misinterpreted in my (admittedly unspecified) "good enough" criteria. I'm not saying the slider will have awful specs (like the dreadful 8800 I was forced to carry all those years ago), just that it won't have the flagship specs that I've seen posted elsewhere in this thread. I'm sure it'll be better than the Leap, but I would be astonished if it had the sort of state-of-art processor, >2GB RAM, and top-end camera mentioned hereabouts. You just don't need to be the best-in-show and have those kind of specs to provide an acceptably good experience for a business device.

So no, I don't think the slider will be high-end or particularly cheap (for what it contains) and, as exhibit 1, I'll cite the Leap.

There were many threads here predicting really impressive specs for the Leap (Rio). Once the (slightly disappointing) specs were revealed, new threads started about how it would anyway be a great entry-level phone at sub-$200 ... and now we find the Leap is both: not cheap, and a so-so device. It won't set the world on fire, but it's probably good enough, especially if I can negotiate corporate quantity discounts. Along with the Classic, I think it might do OK in corporate land. It's no Z10/30 upgrade, but that wasn't its purpose.

If, contrary to my expectation, the slider does come out with flagship specs (and a price to match)... well, that's OK... anyone at department head level or above can put in a request for one. Nobody below that level will get that option, at least not in any company I've ever worked. Chen knows this... he knows price/performance is key and he has limited R&D resources. Similarly IT managers know that few employees will quit because they weren't issued with an iPhone instead of the "good enough" device they got.

At some level, I hope you're all correct, and I'm completely wrong. I loved the Torch, and I'd love to see a top-spec'ed slider come out, and might even buy one if it isn't silly money. So, I certainly won't sulk if I turn out to be wrong, but I don't believe I am.

I guess we'll need to park this until BB release some specs...
    CDM76 likes this.
    03-29-15 11:57 AM

Yeah. LOL, IT members were the 1st - besides upper management that totally abandoned BlackBerry in our agency.......four years ago. Actually, it was recommended by our IT staff.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
    03-29-15 02:02 PM
    How in the world would anything targeted only at corporate even consider doing the "hype" filled double curve screen. Things like that are completely consumer target.

No "IT manager" would choose this for a fleet deployment in any way - the classic and z30 would be your choices in terms of price and 'durability' etc.. If they are more open and offer "get what you want" programs then, well none of that matters as then it would go back to what "consumers" want not what corporations choose to use.

Edit: yeah IT managers dropped BlackBerry like a ton of bricks- one less server to manage, less cost etc. Also there was less and less reason to pay BlackBerry for mostly email and calendar support while other devices had inherent exchange support with no additional cost or servers.

Posted via CB10
    03-29-15 04:25 PM
    New Device - Slider with Curved display, coming 2015!-img_20140920_201341.jpg

Proof Samsung is conspiring with BlackBerry!!!

Posted via CB10
    jmr1015 likes this.
    03-29-15 07:44 PM
    03-29-15 09:34 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140920_201341.jpg 
Views:	2435 
Size:	76.6 KB 
ID:	344551

Posted via CB10
    Nah that's just a cheap knock-off Symbian phone, been around for ages!

03-30-15 12:04 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140920_201341.jpg 
Views:	2435 
Size:	76.6 KB 
ID:	344551

Posted via CB10
    Totally! and they've been conspiring for almost a decade

03-30-15 02:02 AM
    Totally! and they've been conspiring for almost a decade

http://chrisgoodwin.info/blog/wp-con...jack-large.png
    Exactly! This smells of Canadian government coverup!

...some people here need a sarcasm detector tune up.

Posted via CB10
    jmr1015 likes this.
    03-30-15 06:09 AM
    Hey look, BB is dumping new device after new device on us just like they did a few years ago! It worked out great back then too!
    *facepalm*
    03-30-15 08:21 PM
    With these new devices on net10 and cingulair they are poised to take the market by "storm"

Posted via CB10
    jmr1015 likes this.
    03-31-15 07:41 AM
    Personally I think there have been too many mid tier devices released as of late and I think this will be more of a high end device.

The first time around sliders were pretty well received and owned by a lot of younger people so with that in mind it might also grab the attention of some of these people who have moved on or liked their sliders when they owned them .

With this in mind it might just be well received

Posted via CB10
    D3C0D3R and pttptppt like this.
    03-31-15 11:43 AM
    It has 6 icons from the top to the bottom the passport only has 4

Posted via CB10
    04-01-15 06:27 PM
    Exactly! This smells of Canadian government coverup!

...some people here need a sarcasm detector tune up.

Posted via CB10
    04-01-15 06:37 PM
    It has 6 icons from the top to the bottom the passport only has 4

Posted via CB10
    It's because if it's more normal rectangular screen as opposed to the Passport's shorter square screen

04-02-15 09:51 AM
    I think the slider will be more high end like the Passport. They already have the Leap and Classic for the cheaper fleet deployments, and the Passport and this slider will fill the higher end. I'm sure the slider mechanism and the dual curved screen will demand a premium, so this will not be a cheap device. It won't have specs that will match the highest end Android, but I think it'll be respectable (at Passport level or a bit better).

My company raised the allowed on-contract cost of phones to $250, due to how useful the Note 4 has been for demonstrating our online apps. So I plan on getting one as soon as it's available on Verizon (which I hope is at launch).

Posted via CB10
    CDM76 likes this.
    04-04-15 02:04 PM
    Only a few screen shots and people have already made up their minds that this phone will suck. I can't wait to hear them say BlackBerry will fail because this new phone won't have 1 tiny thing they need.

Wait until the specs are out...more detailed pictures etc before some jump all over it.

The players are going to play, play, play, play, play, play....

The haters are going to hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate....

Shake it off...

Posted via CB10 on the President Underwood version of the BlackBerry Classic
    Well said Mr. President!

Posted via CB10
    04-06-15 12:02 PM

Posted via CB10
    This is exactly right.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-15 12:37 PM
    Announced same time as the S6 and S6 Curve... Samsung is shipping devices starting 4/10... BlackBerry?!?!?! WHERE ARE YOU!?!??!
    04-06-15 03:05 PM
    Announced same time as the S6 and S6 Curve... Samsung is shipping devices starting 4/10... BlackBerry?!?!?! WHERE ARE YOU!?!??!
    Perfecting the device and waiting so they don't have the same hardware issues

04-07-15 08:46 AM
    The slider may look like a pre3 too much and ol Leo A is going to use his SAP batphone and call his bro John C up and see if he can kill it before release like he did the pre- he gets off on things like that apparently.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-15 06:48 AM
    Curved screens in short supply
    eyesopen1111 likes this.
    04-09-15 07:38 AM
629 ... 23242526