I'm not sure you're right about the battery tradeoff. I would think you'd actually have considerably more space for a batter.

I really want a new all-touch or maybe updated PassPort, but I'll reserve judgement on the slider for now.

People do need to stop saying that all-touch people could just leave it closed. There are a few reasons that isn't the answer:

2. Battery tradeoff. No matter how big the battery is, it could have been bigger if there was no slide or keyboard.

D3C0D3R likes this.
    03-05-15 01:49 PM
    The magic of editing. :P

EDIT: I very much doubt there was any intention to be misleading, mind - it's just a matter of getting as much as possible crammed into as brief as possible a segment, and a good "rythm" -- this time with an unfortunate side effect. :P
    Agreed, seems like a simple mistake.
    LBS- low blood sugar. Mistakes happen when you're hungry. Should have had a Snickers.

Q10_OS >10.3.1.2267 / 2268 Radio (*_~)
    MarsupilamiX and Tim Heard like this.
    03-05-15 04:30 PM
    Increase the price... yes, but considering how many people paid full price for the Passport when it launched, I don't think passing the added cost of the device to the consumer matters that much. This would only be for top of the line flagship devices like the Passport, not a low end device like the Leap. As for battery life, very few other phones have as big of batteries in them then the Passport. Fine tuning the OS to work better with the hardware specs can help to curb increased battery consumption, and of course just putting in a larger battery.
    8GB would be an idiotic decision that they definitely won't make, it would add noticeably to the cost when BB typically struggles to compete in that area enough as it is and you cannot keep adding to the cost even on a flagship device, as has been mentioned it also reduces battery life or increases the weight of the device when you have to include a larger battery.

Mobile devices are not like a desktop where you can readily up specs with little drawback, with mobile devices you have to strike the right balance of cost, performance, weight and power consumption among other factors.
    Blacklatino likes this.
    03-06-15 01:24 AM
    Provided it's thin and light enough and does not compromise on the battery. Tough, but not impossible.
    This is the crucial thing, if they can produce a device with competitive battery life while only adding a couple of mm of thickness then it could still be a suitable all-touch for most who want that with the added bonus of a PKB if they so decided.
    03-06-15 01:29 AM
    This is the crucial thing, if they can produce a device with competitive battery life while only adding a couple of mm of thickness then it could still be a suitable all-touch for most who want that with the added bonus of a PKB if they so decided.
    The best of both worlds.
    03-06-15 01:33 AM
    The best of both worlds.
    Not quite, but if they can minimise the downsides, it will be a great device for both types of user.
    03-06-15 01:40 AM
    I'd gladly take more thickness for this device.
    When I had a Dell Venue Pro, its major drawback was battery life, so I bought a huge replacement battery that turned not to add any additional capacity because the OS couldn't tell the difference.
    It came with a different back cover though, because the battery was so thick.
    Honestly, after about a day I didn't notice the difference.
    Thin phones make me worry that they're liable to bend. I'd hope this phone would have the following, and would gladly sacrifice some weight and thickness to have them:
    * Solid build - No bending concerns or loose slider mechanism
    * Good battery life
    * No overheating issues
    * Good camera
    * Good sound
    * Good screen
    * Solid keyboard - A keyboard that's worthy of the BlackBerry name with respect to feel and performance.

D3C0D3R and Blacklatino like this.
    03-06-15 08:47 AM
    OMG all touch users should just leave * sarcasm*

If all users that want all touch leave, BlackBerry will sell potatoes by the end of the month

Posted via CB10
    03-06-15 02:26 PM
    OMG all touch users should just leave * sarcasm*

If all users that want all touch leave, BlackBerry will sell potatoes by the end of the month
    Awesome idea...... :P

That might be another niche BBRY might tap into....... ;-)

Berry Mashed Potatoes!
    Berry Baked Potatoes!
    Berry Fries!

Anyone???

 Q5 / Z30
    03-07-15 01:14 AM
    Err.. Full touch device with slide keyboard and big battery. Won't it be too heavy for daily use? :/

Q5 SQR100-1
    Talking about phones... people bringing up weight... maybe it's just me but even if it weighed as much as an old Nokia brick.. who cares.. are people's arms getting sore holding their phone? I mean if so.. then I think they have a whole other problem besides the phones weight...

New Device - Slider with Curved display, coming 2015!-divusykzeshocmo8vvb1.jpg

Posted via CB10
    03-07-15 03:11 PM
    Talking about phones... people bringing up weight... maybe it's just me but even if it weighed as much as an old Nokia brick.. who cares.. are people's arms getting sore holding their phone? I mean if so.. then I think they have a whole other problem besides the phones weight...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	divusykzeshocmo8vvb1.jpg 
Views:	755 
Size:	26.9 KB 
ID:	339557

Posted via CB10
    It's about being on-par with the other phones out there, plus it's not that it will break my arm, it's that it adds more comfort!

I'm sure some smartass will come and say "bro, Do you even lift?"

Posted via CB10
    03-07-15 08:55 PM
    OR, BlackBerry would be just fine, given that it already has extremely promising ventures in the automotive industry and information security, not to mention medical ventures, and whatever the heck they're doing that's related to IoT.

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    D3C0D3R likes this.
    03-08-15 08:31 PM
    It's about being on-par with the other phones out there, plus it's not that it will break my arm, it's that it adds more comfort!

I'm sure some smartass will come and say "bro, Do you even lift?"

Posted via CB10
    If it sits around the weight of a Z30, I'd say it's more than acceptable, whether you lift or not .

Posted via CB10
    03-08-15 10:17 PM
    WTF a Z 10 with a slider and curve inward.....ugly....And they say that it has been design by the porsche design team: high-end luxury phone, designed in partnership with Porsche Design codenamed 'Keian' in honour of Keian Blundell.

No, Thanks
    They are making a phone with Porsche which is probably the Porsche passport but I don't think this phone was designed by Porsche

Posted via CB10
    03-09-15 08:54 AM
    I am so confused right now...how can the "Leap" be the Slider and not be, really not understanding where the mistake is at MWC.

So the technicality would be that Ron Louks screwed up the whole segment and misrepresented the Slider as the Leap?

I can clearly see the differences in the video of the two phones, I can see that the Slider has a thin shell-like holder for which the base will slide out from and that the other device that does have a curved-edge is the one everyone is referring to as "the Leap". O_O Yet somehow they both look similar from the sides and top but different from the back.
    It's not that complicated. He mentions the leap, they show the device, then he mentions the slider and it's specs briefly and proceeds to show two sliders and then puts them away. Whoever did the video editing just did a poor job is all.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-15 09:15 AM
    They are making a phone with Porsche which is probably the Porsche passport but I don't think this phone was designed by Porsche

Posted via CB10
    It's in partnership with Porsche Design, a branch of Porsche.

I'm also pretty sure that they said it isn't a Passport that's being developed, though I could be wrong :\

Praise be unto our Lord Squircle | Passport SQW100-1/10.3.1.2072
    03-09-15 09:27 AM
    Hope it comes with a energy recovery system consuming the open and close slide momentum

What I am really curious about is the "different usage" and mechanical innovation in there...
    eyesopen1111 likes this.
    03-10-15 08:20 AM
    I really don't see that slider succeed unfortunately. It's a concept that has never been successful so why should that suddenly change a time like this? BlackBerry is a nice player but they're starting to produce out of scope.
    There are a few fans here who will be very very happy with the new device but that's about it I guess.
    Take a look at the Passport. This is real innovation and it was quite successful, measured by expectations, but it's still nowhere near what would be considered a success by market figures.
    Last edited by SunshineStateFlyer; 03-12-15 at 05:21 PM.
    eyesopen1111 likes this.
    03-12-15 05:07 PM
    I really don't see that slider succeed unfortunately. It's a concept that has never been successful so why should that suddenly change a time like this? BlackBerry is a nice player but they're starting to produce out of scope.
    There are a few fans here who will be very very happy with the new device but that's about it I guess.
    Take a look at the Passport. This is real innovation and it was quite successful, measured by expectations, but it's still nowhere near what would be considered a success by market figures.
    Are you joking? The Torch was a very successful and critically acclaimed device! A successor running BlackBerry10.. there's no way it would fail unless they botch the design/launch..

The reason the Passport hasn't done as well as it should have is because the consumer market for anything is slow to adopt change. If the Slider can [i]rekindle[/] the memories and greatness that was once the Torch, the consumers already will remember how great it was and will expect something similar, so won't be too too slow to adopt.

But hey, the consumer market is a funny thing

03-12-15 07:05 PM
    I've identified some Apps on this Slider device based on the only Picture Provided.
    From Top to Bottom
    From Left to Right
    - BlackBerry Hub
    - etc. Check out the Picture Attached.
    New Device - Slider with Curved display, coming 2015!-slider2.jpg
    Steelsheen, tinochiko and SalMan50 like this.
    03-12-15 10:13 PM
    Are you joking? The Torch was a very successful and critically acclaimed device! A successor running BlackBerry10.. there's no way it would fail unless they botch the design/launch..

The reason the Passport hasn't done as well as it should have is because the consumer market for anything is slow to adopt change. If the Slider can [i]rekindle[/] the memories and greatness that was once the Torch, the consumers already will remember how great it was and will expect something similar, so won't be too too slow to adopt.

But hey, the consumer market is a funny thing

It's very optimistic to say "there's no way it would fail" to a BlackBerry 10 device in 2015. I'm still skeptic, even though the Torch did indeed sell very well. But times have just changed.

Posted via CB10
    03-13-15 04:47 AM
    The average user doesn't want a device with hardware from 2012 selling for $275. BB10 users don't want a downgrade from Z30.
    What is your idea of an average user? You're considering that everyone is able to purchase IPhone? BlackBerry is doing several products to reach different market segments and people who can afford to do it so. If it's a work phone, you don't need the either specs nor price of a S6 to play Angry Birds on your break time. Perhaps a bit of general marketing knowledge is needed here.

Classics is totally underspeced and overprice with its 2012 hardware.[/QUOTE]

Mr Chen didn't design the phone for the average Joe, he probably designed for the market that BlackBerry is dominant, corporate users and government bodies. Enterprise user doesn't need the latest specs, he needs a device that suits his needs, yet perform apps, has camera in build and yes, he can over price because this market have no choice. There's a need for keyboards, and no one can offer.

These kind of devices never sold as the are a bad compromise. Too heavy and thick compared to full touch devices and a worse keyboard than Bold-like devices.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps you should be writing a letter to the CEO? He even could call you to make part of the input design team, or marketing manager?

Posted with a BlackBerry Q10, Australia
    Last edited by iatansaldanha; 03-13-15 at 05:42 AM.
    03-13-15 05:31 AM
    I m wondering how thick and how heavy is it.
    03-13-15 06:11 AM
    Judging by all the traction this 1 image got on most major tech news, I think its actually an exciting move by BlackBerry, and the media loved it.

posted with my zзо
    D3C0D3R and RyanGermann like this.
    03-13-15 07:38 AM
    But the all-touch users also need to stop telling us keyboard users what we want or to "get on with the times".
    D3C0D3R, Tim Heard and Grabber5.0 like this.
    03-13-15 07:44 AM
629 ... 2021222324 ...