Err.. Full touch device with slide keyboard and big battery. Won't it be too heavy for daily use? :/

Q5 SQR100-1
    03-04-15 07:45 PM
    I now understand why Samsung releases phones every 6 months. If you're not moving forward then you may as well be moving backwards. And we have the amazing people at BlackBerry releasing new phones basically whenever they feel like it. Ugh. #comingsoon
    It also inspires confidence into the buyers.
    We all know when Samsung and Apple launches their phones.
    It's the same thing every single year.

Sony released flagships every 6 months (I love the strategy. Big fan of that, but sadly didn't work) and the the buyer knew that his phone should be up to date no matter when he buys it throughout the year.

BlackBerry?
    They keep on striving to go back to their roots and keep the legend alive, that they cultivated throughout the years. The tale of "coming soon" continues. Stay tuned.
    03-04-15 07:48 PM
    The video is poorly edited and jumps from a quick look at the Leap to a quick look at the Slider. A a result a lot of people have mistakenly thought it was about a single device.
    03-04-15 08:17 PM
    At this stage, if the BB cross-platform "suites" are out and available prior to knowing more about this slider, there may be no reason to produce it as I imagine they'll lose a good chunk of their remaining Z/Q users. If I can get the Hub, BBM, BlackBerry calendar features, and the BlackBerry keyboard on an S6 with a timeline, or an iPhone6 available now, what exactly would I be waiting for on this slider with no timeline or specs?
    People were saying that about BBM going cross platform and it didn't have a significant impact on the number of users.

Also, I have a distinct feeling that those features will only be available to BYOD BES clients. I don't see all of those premium BB10 features being offered for free on everyone's phones.

JB

Posted internationally thanks to my Passport
    03-04-15 08:30 PM
    Thannk almighty jesus i didnt get the passport from At&t yet! *Drewls*
    03-04-15 08:50 PM
    Err.. Full touch device with slide keyboard and big battery. Won't it be too heavy for daily use? :/

Q5 SQR100-1
    Ridiculous comment.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2480 O2 UK
    03-04-15 11:33 PM
    [rant]
    ugh, all this complaining on a phone that was shown for a few seconds. It doesn't even have any specs yet. I know it's on me to read negative blackberry posts or not, but if blackberry is so bad, then just leave already.
    +100

 q5 / z30
    03-05-15 01:00 AM
    Although it looks to be thin from behind, I think it'll be around 10mm thick. The screen with the edges will add probably 3-4mm, and the rear will be around 6-7mm. If they can keep it under 11mm total and 200g, they have a winner. I'll be buying it regardless anyway.
    I'v been waiting for a device like this for so long and I think it'll be a hit.
    If there was one thing I would wish for, it'd be a stylus. A device like this would be so useful for marking up construction plans, then typing emails on.
    BB has also lately been doing a great job with battery life, so most likely this'll be packed with a mighty battery too.

I'm also really glad BB teased a slider and not another form factor, I have a feeling Microsoft is preparing to release a slider and BB just beat them to it. It'd make a lot of sense for Microsoft to release a pkb device and steal some of BB's thunder in the enterprise market.

Thanks BB, great job!
    IndianTiwari and Tim Heard like this.
    03-05-15 02:11 AM
    This shows the BBRY strong resolve to move ahead . This device will be the path breaking device and shall reposition BBRY slider as the best device .
    03-05-15 02:30 AM
    This shows the BBRY strong resolve to move ahead . This device will be the path breaking device and shall reposition BBRY slider as the best device .
    Let's hope so.
    I'll buy it.
    Can't do more than that
    IndianTiwari likes this.
    03-05-15 02:35 AM
    I hope there's a Squircle on this beast.

10.3.1 "sniff" kills the Pepple and other batteries
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    03-05-15 06:26 AM
    I think that a high-end slider like this is awesome news for BlackBerry, though I would offer another all-touch version that had an extended battery and/or smaller form factor instead of a PKB. The truth is that incorporating Samsung hardware technology is a big step in the right direction for BlackBerry, and things like the curved screen display help to show that BlackBerry should be considered in the same category as other top brands. A BlackBerry flagship that has some of the same display tech as the current model year Samsung Galaxy S Line is quite the achievement and let's hope that this approach also includes camera tech and any other Samsung know-how that can help BlackBerry's hardware game.

Bravo, and I'd definitely consider buying a high-end slider like this promises to be! I wish BlackBerry had gone with this type of design before or instead of launching the Passport. Even if it had had a standard 1080 p screen in 2014 (and have the curved screen follow-up in 2015), this would have appealed to many.
    Tim Heard likes this.
    03-05-15 06:40 AM
    I really want a new all-touch or maybe updated PassPort, but I'll reserve judgement on the slider for now.

People do need to stop saying that all-touch people could just leave it closed. There are a few reasons that isn't the answer:

1. Cheap feel. BB sliders to date have been creaky, develop a good wiggle, and feel cheap. If the slider is all-metal with the kind of click that the first MS Surface tablet provided, I think people would be satisfied. A nice click open and click closed that feels solid and two halves that can't be moved independently when closed, even a millimeter.

2. Battery tradeoff. No matter how big the battery is, it could have been bigger if there was no slide or keyboard.

3. Cases will not be made to use this device without sliding it

4. Thickness. Too soon to say now, but generally there is an added thickness.

All said, I loved my 9810, but I think that the Z10 has persuaded me to stick with all touch.
    MarsupilamiX and Thesmartmale like this.
    03-05-15 07:45 AM

Never understood why people complain about these together. Some complain the device only comes in black, other complain it being too thick. Then proceed to put a case over it to make it thicker.
    LoganSix likes this.
    03-05-15 08:13 AM
    Never understood why people complain about these together. Some complain the device only comes in black, other complain it being too thick. Then proceed to put a case over it to make it thicker.
    I suppose they are mutually exclusive. Personally I don't care for a crazy thin device as I've had one break in pocket. Cases or a structurally sound phone.

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    03-05-15 08:17 AM
    I really want a new all-touch or maybe updated PassPort, but I'll reserve judgement on the slider for now.

People do need to stop saying that all-touch people could just leave it closed. There are a few reasons that isn't the answer:
    I agree that a slider is not a substitute for a full slab, but those who want the usability of a full slab would often appreciate ALSO having the PKB... I personally would never suggest "leave the slider closed then" but I do suggest that having the PKB is an asset that one who wants full touch capability would benefit from.

1. Cheap feel. BB sliders to date have been creaky, develop a good wiggle, and feel cheap. If the slider is all-metal with the kind of click that the first MS Surface tablet provided, I think people would be satisfied. A nice click open and click closed that feels solid and two halves that can't be moved independently when closed, even a millimeter.
    I owned a 9800, and still own two 9810s (one of which was my daily driver for 2 years) and they are very solid devices. Yes, a slider CAN develop wobble, but I guess my experience has been better than yours... I understand your concern, but I hope proper manufacturing processes can make for a very good quality mechanism.

2. Battery tradeoff. No matter how big the battery is, it could have been bigger if there was no slide or keyboard.
    I disagree, for reasons I will state below... and it could be bigger STILL if there was no screen or circuit board or case or... well, then you'd just have a huge battery the size of a phone, so I think this is not really a valid point.

No, you are right, and that's why I personally won't insult full slab advocates by suggesting a slider can just "not be slidden"... slided?

Those who care about thinness should buy an iPhone... oh, but put a thick aluminium frame case on it or it will bend. Or by a Samsung Galaxy... but it's a light and cheap feeling thing, no matter how great the specs are. They seem to be fixing that for the S6 but it took them long enough. I'm saying that there is a "cost" to thinness, and I personally don't care how thin a slider is: I want a slider first, and frankly too thin is awkward sometimes. Holding a bare iPhone 5S in my hand it feels like I can't get an adequate grip on it... and I imagine a lot of people feel the same way, because most iPhones I see have cases on them. Frankly for the 15� it would cost Apple, they should come with a case... but Apple can make $40 selling a case separately, so... well, I hate having to put cases on my devices, and I frankly think most people do. So, durability and a good fit in the hand should come "standard" with a device, to the point that manufacturers that put thinness and 'shine' over that of durability should include the case in the box so the customers expensive device is protected from inevitable drops etc. If you want a durable device that doesn't need a case to be so, that's BlackBerry all over, baby.

All said, I loved my 9810, but I think that the Z10 has persuaded me to stick with all touch.
    To each their own, and so long as you're not saying "BlackBerry PLEASE don't make a slider, make a premium full slab URGENTLY" then I have no beef... I am frustrated by the "a premium full-slab should be BBs number one priority" when all of BlackBerry's full slabs AND competitors PREMIUM Android full slabs have BARELY made a ripple in the market, and doing "the thing that failed" again is just going to kill BlackBerry, even if it does please the users that want a BB10 premium full slab. Personally, I'm all about variety and I would love to see BlackBerry announce 5 devices simultaneously: a premium full slab at 4.5" (Z10 size) a premium full slab at 5.2" (Z30 size) a modest full slab (Leap) at 5", this slider (but with the TOOLBELT for pete's sake: don't go half way on it!) and perhaps even an updated Q10 size device but with the Passport style keyboard / interaction and a screen at least as large as the Classic, but with Passport resolution (a one-handed passport if you will).

To those concerned about weight and thickness:

Too thin and light (have you ever handled a Galaxy Note 3? That thing felt like cheap on wheels) and the perception of the device quality suffers (not to mention the ACTUAL quality of the device -cough bendgate cough-)

So, to make a regular full slab phone a slider:

Cut it directly through between the Screen and the back of the device. You now have the chocolate cookies of an "Oreo".

Now, for the cream, insert the mechanism for the slider. It consists of two metal frames (rails and slider) a simple circular spring to pop it open and closed (I have fully disassembled a Torch 9810 when I was swapping to a shiny red shell!) and a ribbon cable that attaches the moving screen to the main board.

Those two metal frames have a mass that is totally inconsequential.

Now, add the PKB.

You haven't added very much to the weight OR thickness at this point.

Also, there is now additional room to enlarge the battery if desired by moving some of the circuitry from the back to the slider portion. Or, make the battery larger in area but thinner to keep the device svelte.

The original Torch was designed in 2008. This device is circa 2013 at least. Let's allow advances in chip and materials design to be considered in what we think the weight and thickness of the device will be.

And, going out on a limb here, speaking for those of us waiting for this form factor, I really don't care if they try all that hard to make it thin and light: the form-factor and user experience is far more important than how thin or light it is.

Ever notice how all the thin and light devices have thick ugly and mass-adding cases? So... what's the point of thin and light if you slap a silicone case on it?

One more issue: sliders HATE cases... so if you love cases, you won't love a slider.
    Last edited by RyanGermann; 03-05-15 at 08:51 AM.
    03-05-15 08:26 AM
    ^ I wished that the Z10 had been thicker and heavier to fit a larger battery, being a former Torch user. People have also griped about the Passport's size and weight, but I type one handed and make phone calls without any hand cramping. My mother's Q5 feels like a toy because it is so small and light, and I guess the plastic backing doesn't help.

The Passport is my first phone with a case, but that's because the OEM holster is so overpriced. I don't like covering up the phone's design.

Posted via CB10 on Passport.
    03-05-15 08:48 AM
    I agree that a slider is not a substitute for a full slab, but those who want the usability of a full slab would often appreciate ALSO having the PKB... I personally would never suggest "leave the slider closed then" but I do suggest that having the PKB is an asset that one who wants full touch capability would benefit from.

I owned a 9800, and still own two 9810s (one of which was my daily driver for 2 years) and they are very solid devices. Yes, a slider CAN develop wobble, but I guess my experience has been better than yours... I understand your concern, but I hope proper manufacturing processes can make for a very good quality mechanism.

I disagree, for reasons I will state below... and it could be bigger STILL if there was no screen or circuit board or case or... well, then you'd just have a huge battery the size of a phone, so I think this is not really a valid point.

No, you are right, and that's why I personally won't insult full slab advocates by suggesting a slider can just "not be slidden"... slided?

Those who care about thinness should buy an iPhone... oh, but put a thick aluminium frame case on it or it will bend. Or by a Samsung Galaxy... but it's a light and cheap feeling thing, no matter how great the specs are. They seem to be fixing that for the S6 but it took them long enough. I'm saying that there is a "cost" to thinness, and I personally don't care how thin a slider is: I want a slider first, and frankly too thin is awkward sometimes. Holding a bare iPhone 5S in my hand it feels like I can't get an adequate grip on it... and I imagine a lot of people feel the same way, because most iPhones I see have cases on them. Frankly for the 15� it would cost Apple, they should come with a case... but Apple can make $40 selling a case separately, so... well, I hate having to put cases on my devices, and I frankly think most people do. So, durability and a good fit in the hand should come "standard" with a device, to the point that manufacturers that put thinness and 'shine' over that of durability should include the case in the box so the customers expensive device is protected from inevitable drops etc. If you want a durable device that doesn't need a case to be so, that's BlackBerry all over, baby.

To each their own, and so long as you're not saying "BlackBerry PLEASE don't make a slider, make a premium full slab URGENTLY" then I have no beef... I am frustrated by the "a premium full-slab should be BBs number one priority" when all of BlackBerry's full slabs AND competitors PREMIUM Android full slabs have BARELY made a ripple in the market, and doing "the thing that failed" again is just going to kill BlackBerry, even if it does please the users that want a BB10 premium full slab. Personally, I'm all about variety and I would love to see BlackBerry announce 5 devices simultaneously: a premium full slab at 4.5" (Z10 size) a premium full slab at 5.2" (Z30 size) a modest full slab (Leap) at 5", this slider (but with the TOOLBELT for pete's sake: don't go half way on it!) and perhaps even an updated Q10 size device but with the Passport style keyboard / interaction and a screen at least as large as the Classic, but with Passport resolution (a one-handed passport if you will).

To those concerned about weight and thickness:

Too thin and light (have you ever handled a Galaxy Note 3? That thing felt like cheap on wheels) and the perception of the device quality suffers (not to mention the ACTUAL quality of the device -cough bendgate cough-)

So, to make a regular full slab phone a slider:

Cut it directly through between the Screen and the back of the device. You now have the chocolate cookies of an "Oreo".

Now, for the cream, insert the mechanism for the slider. It consists of two metal frames (rails and slider) a simple circular spring to pop it open and closed (I have fully disassembled a Torch 9810 when I was swapping to a shiny red shell!) and a ribbon cable that attaches the moving screen to the main board.

Those two metal frames have a mass that is totally inconsequential.

Now, add the PKB.

You haven't added very much to the weight OR thickness at this point.

Also, there is now additional room to enlarge the battery if desired by moving some of the circuitry from the back to the slider portion. Or, make the battery larger in area but thinner to keep the device svelte.

The original Torch was designed in 2008. This device is circa 2013 at least. Let's allow advances in chip and materials design to be considered in what we think the weight and thickness of the device will be.

And, going out on a limb here, speaking for those of us waiting for this form factor, I really don't care if they try all that hard to make it thin and light: the form-factor and user experience is far more important than how thin or light it is.

Ever notice how all the thin and light devices have thick ugly and mass-adding cases? So... what's the point of thin and light if you slap a silicone case on it?

One more issue: sliders HATE cases... so if you love cases, you won't love a slider.
    9810 was over 4mm thicker and 30g heavier than a Bold 9900 even though they were close to same length and width (actually 9900 was a hair wider and longer). I don't want an iPhone thin device, I'm fine with Z30 device with similar weight, a nice new QHD screen, and new and improved SOC.

I want BlackBerry to make a slider if they feel there is a market for it. However if you are a slider enthusiast don't tell people wanting an all touch that you get it with a slider, just don't open it, because that is a p1ss poor solution. Making a slider does not give Z users an upgrade path. They are essentially abandoning their first BlackBerry 10 users just like they abandoned the PlayBook owners. Both of which probably sold more than the Passport.

There is absolutely no reason that BlackBerry can not make a slider and an all touch with the same specs and screens, etc. and do Chen's low inventory bit to control costs. BlackBerry can't afford to have customers already on the platform to abandon it, and I would guess most of the users are on all touch, not PKB.

You are going to get your slider and we can see how well it sells. I think that they aren't releasing an all touch because it would show to investors that what Chen sold them on, that PKB devices are where the demand is, is complete bunk. They don't report number breakdowns either for this reason IMHO. Chen is waiting to kill of the handset business, he just has to get his cross platform kinks worked out, and releasing a device with a chance of success would make killing things off harder.

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    03-05-15 09:12 AM
    9810 was over 4mm thicker and 30g heavier than a Bold 9900 even though they were close to same length and width (actually 9900 was a hair wider and longer). I don't want an iPhone thin device, I'm fine with Z30 device with similar weight, a nice new QHD screen, and new and improved SOC.

I want BlackBerry to make a slider if they feel there is a market for it. However if you are a slider enthusiast don't tell people wanting an all touch that you get it with a slider, just don't open it, because that is a p1ss poor solution. Making a slider does not give Z users an upgrade path. They are essentially abandoning their first BlackBerry 10 users just like they abandoned the PlayBook owners. Both of which probably sold more than the Passport.

There is absolutely no reason that BlackBerry can not make a slider and an all touch with the same specs and screens, etc. and do Chen's low inventory bit to control costs. BlackBerry can't afford to have customers already on the platform to abandon it, and I would guess most of the users are on all touch, not PKB.

You are going to get your slider and we can see how well it sells. I think that they aren't releasing an all touch because it would show to investors that what Chen sold them on, that PKB devices are where the demand is, is complete bunk. They don't report number breakdowns either for this reason IMHO. Chen is waiting to kill of the handset business, he just has to get his cross platform kinks worked out, and releasing a device with a chance of success would make killing things off harder.

Posted via CB10
    I especially agree with your part about investors and physical keyboards. The money is in the touch world, not the keyboard space (mostly).
    Even more so on the part, that there is no reason for BlackBerry to not release a touch phone alongside of the slider. They would even achieve some degree of economies of scale..

The Z10 sold the most of all the BB10 phones until now.
    It also got overproduced and fire sold, so that's obviously logical.
    All of those guys and girls who bought/received that phone, got abandoned, with the current roadmap.
    Together with Z30 buyers, those customers are lost for at least 2 years, simply because there is no upgrade path. And that's at least half of BlackBerry's user base.

Honestly, no manager in the world should be that disconnected, from our current market realities.
    03-05-15 09:58 AM
    I totally get it. Most are still hoping lessons were carried forward from RIM to BlackBerry regarding the 9800/9810 and other devices. Hopefully, the Devs spent some time on it to make it a worthwhile device that others will want, not just members on here. The Z10 and the Q10 lack of sales totally revised the potential plans for the Z30. It's selling now because it is an awesome device.....and for awhile, nothing else(newer) was available.....as we wait for the awesome, next level, full-touch. Not everyone is going to buy phones that were released almost two years ago. Also, no one really wants a "take it or leave it" Slider (or touch screen). While, it's true, you can't please everyone, if you're trying to persuade former, new, and the fence-riding consumers to return to BlackBerry, don't assume. Look at it this way, if we.....the die-hards here on CB are sitting and watching and not doing cartwheels, the general public are also going to be skeptics....if not worse. My 02.

Q10_OS >10.3.1.2267 / 2268 Radio (*_~)
    RyanGermann likes this.
    03-05-15 10:04 AM
    No one called the leap the slider. The leap is a low-end full touch upgrade to the Z3

The Slider is a hybrid between full touch and pkb device.

Posted via CB10
    I've re-watched the video from Barcelona over a dozen times and I am so confused as to why Ron Louks keeps referring to the Leap and then pulling out the "Slider" in the same breath as he's speaking of it while showing. Followed by Chen.. there is no skip in the video segment at all so I do get that the Leap is another device entirely, and that the Slider is also another. But then why is Ron Louks holding the Slider and calling it the Leap in the same breath?

I responded to another CrackBerrian below as well really confused over this
    03-05-15 12:23 PM
    Just check out PocketNow and CNET's YouTube channels, and I think even BlackBerry's YouTube channel too.. They have hands on first looks of the Leap and it is not a slider. The slider has a much different and robust rear camera, unlike the Leap. The Leap is also a standard 5" display, where as the slider has dual curved edge display.

Posted via CB10 on BlackBerry Passport
    I watched CNET's and BlackBerry's video, one with a guy from BB and the other of a girl from the conference; there are two separate devices but I think what is confusing the heck out of me is why Ron Louks called the Slider the Leap and now the Slider simply has no name.

Ron Louks: "With BlackBerry Leap we're going after umm the young career builder, someone who's looking to make a difference. It comes with BlackBerry 10.3.1 software, the MSRP on this device will be 275usd, it's a dual curve display phone, all-touch, with a keyboard."

Right around the 2:55 mark that's when he begins talking about the "Leap"... so who actually has it right and who has it wrong?
    03-05-15 12:30 PM
    I am so confused right now...how can the "Leap" be the Slider and not be, really not understanding where the mistake is at MWC.

So the technicality would be that Ron Louks screwed up the whole segment and misrepresented the Slider as the Leap?

I can clearly see the differences in the video of the two phones, I can see that the Slider has a thin shell-like holder for which the base will slide out from and that the other device that does have a curved-edge is the one everyone is referring to as "the Leap". O_O Yet somehow they both look similar from the sides and top but different from the back.
    03-05-15 12:37 PM
    The magic of editing. :P

EDIT: I very much doubt there was any intention to be misleading, mind - it's just a matter of getting as much as possible crammed into as brief as possible a segment, and a good "rythm" -- this time with an unfortunate side effect. :P
    Blacklatino likes this.
    03-05-15 12:39 PM
    https://www.blackberrycentral.com/ne...de-renderings/

Renderings by Dylan habkirk

CB10 - Q10
    Tim Heard and tufcustomer like this.
    03-05-15 01:09 PM
629 ... 1920212223 ...