8 GB Ram will increase battery consumption and the cost of the device, if there is no real need for it other than "future proofing" it's not smart.
    Ram doesn't consume energy unless being used! So, an idle phone uses maximum ~1.6gb �0.1 of ram. So 8 gb ram would be "Delicious"!

Sent from my shuttering, on basic task audio skipping Z29
    03-04-15 12:54 PM
    From watching the video, these don't look like working units.

It seems that they are a backlit shell. Looks like the backlight activates when slid open. When he closes the black on you see the backlight turn off but you can still see the icons on screen.

Posted via CB10
    03-04-15 01:23 PM
    I honestly can't see the curve on it. ==
    03-04-15 01:28 PM
    I'll buy it wooohoo

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on 4G Altel network
    Here's hoping it is Porsche design AT&T curved Passport phone. I will sell all my phones for that beast

SQW-100-3 10.3.1.2480 Allergy/Pulmonary
    03-04-15 01:30 PM
    I owned a Dell Venue Pro for several years, and the sliding mechanism never got loose.
    With respect tot he battery, having an entire second section for the keyboard should allow for a larger battery than normal.
    My only concern would be the possibility of it heating up from heavy use. Given the way BB10 and BlackBerry phones are
    designed to extend battery life, I think this won't be a major issue.

I'm concerned about the battery and build quality. How big could they put those batteries on the phone? Looking at the pics, somehow it is quite slim. Also slide in and out too often could scratch and loosen hinges. Hopefully they will release more details soon.

Q5 SQR100-1
    PajamasFreak likes this.
    03-04-15 01:34 PM
    As a former Torch user it's too bad the awful battery life of the Z10 forced me to get the Passport. No way the wife will allow me to buy another phone off-contract this soon

Posted via CB10 on Passport.
    03-04-15 01:38 PM
    That flip-out phone will be a totally different phone.
    One reason people are excited about a slider phone is that they want a full physical keyboard and a full touch screen.
    That hybrid design that was leaked offers another 3 row keyboard with a virtual, Passport-ish keyboard.
    I can guarantee that a lot of the excitement over this phone would turn very angry (bordering on hostile) if they were to show us a slider and
    then change and release that hybrid design.

Chen mentions innovation on the hardware side that will be coming around. Hoping that this in fact is not final hardware and that BBRY can figure out a way to implement the flip-out keyboard vs. the sliding keyboard. I just cant see myself getting behind a slide. What's next, a flip phone??
    eyhab27 likes this.
    03-04-15 01:38 PM
    Wow. Where's the hostility coming from?
    Why when they have just leaked that the device even exists would they tell everything there is to know about it? If they save some for later, it helps to build anticipation.

After watching the latest video of the Slider in motion, it's clear Chen thinks he's funny, charming, and mysterious. He can't afford to be right now, people are jumping ship everyday and the rest of us are waiting for the company to deliver!

Instead he makes witty comments like "it has a lot of different usage that you have to wait a little bit and see" along with a stupid little grin. We all know what "wait" with BlackBerry means.

Thanks for nothing.

Posted via CB10
    03-04-15 01:42 PM
    I feel your pain.
    I held out for as long as I could before giving up my last phone and buying the Passport. Really wish the slider had been released instead.
    Not saying rhe Passport is terrible. There's no other phone on the market that I'd buy right now, but the slider would have been so much better.

As a former Torch user it's too bad the awful battery life of the Z10 forced me to get the Passport. No way the wife will allow me to buy another phone off-contract this soon

Posted via CB10 on Passport.
    NYTOC83 likes this.
    03-04-15 01:46 PM
    Here's hoping it is Porsche design AT&T curved Passport phone. I will sell all my phones for that beast

SQW-100-3 10.3.1.2480 Allergy/Pulmonary
    Highly doubt that a Porsche Design BlackBerry would use an AT&T Passport since Porsche Design phones have always been very angular and sharp edged, which is odd because Porsche cars are not. Either way I'd love a Porsche Design Passport, but I just put in a preorder for a Jaguar (powered by BlackBerry's QNX of course), so it just wouldn't work for me. I think BlackBerry should have their own luxury brand phone division where they make high-end luxury BlackBerry's with only the BlackBerry name on them, not Porsche Design. It would be a great rival to the Android based Vertu phones.

Posted via CB10 on BlackBerry Passport
    03-04-15 01:53 PM
    You cannot satisfy some people no matter how hard you try! They just need to sit on a b**t plug

 PassportSQW100-1 / 10.3.1.2480
    People want a full touch upgrade for their Z10 and z30. How hard is it to understand and how out of touch is Chen. My God he really knows how to **** off the die hard bb fans
    Thesmartmale likes this.
    03-04-15 02:06 PM
    People want a full touch upgrade for their Z10 and z30. How hard is it to understand and how out of touch is Chen. My God he really knows how to **** off the die hard bb fans
    In this world people want many things but need only so much...

Chen's here to make some profit not please 1 or 2.

 PassportSQW100-1 / 10.3.1.2480
    03-04-15 02:12 PM
    Chen is focused on what he needs to do.

The Leap and the Classic is for enterprise. The Passport is for the executive, or manager that needs to "work wide".

They have limited resources left to court the BYOD/diehard crowd. He feels the Slider is a compromise device that has something that everyone in this remaining niche can appreciate - big specs, full all-touch, and slide out keyboard if desired. If they can make it thin and light enough, then he will be pretty close to his goal.

Before we storm the castle, let's wait until we know more about this device.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2267
    03-04-15 02:29 PM
    Chen is focused on what he needs to do.

The Leap and the Classic is for enterprise. The Passport is for the executive, or manager that needs to "work wide".

They have limited resources left to court the BYOD/diehard crowd. He feels the Slider is a compromise device that has something that everyone in this remaining niche can appreciate - big specs, full all-touch, and slide out keyboard if desired. If they can make it thin and light enough, then he will be pretty close to his goal.

Before we storm the castle, let's wait until we know more about this device.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2267
    <rant>

I'm generally a BB apologist everywhere except here, but the problem is the timing. The Z10/Q10 came out in the U.S. in spring 2013. That's almost two years ago without a real upgrade since (other than an entirely new form factor just recently for AT&T). The Classic isn't an upgrade to anything. Without knowing more, i.e., timing and some specs, realistically this looks like it's likely 6-9 months away at minimum, and for the U.S., 12-15 months away.

Give us something to hold out for.

At this stage, if the BB cross-platform "suites" are out and available prior to knowing more about this slider, there may be no reason to produce it as I imagine they'll lose a good chunk of their remaining Z/Q users. If I can get the Hub, BBM, BlackBerry calendar features, and the BlackBerry keyboard on an S6 with a timeline, or an iPhone6 available now, what exactly would I be waiting for on this slider with no timeline or specs?

I can see myself giving it about 6-8 months, but not longer and I'm more patient than most.

As an aside, as a Verizon customer with a Z30, there currently is no known upgrade path. None. The closest may be another OS with BB features.

</rant>

They've given us the ever elusive flying car. It's like the TAT PlayBook demos. Oooooh, Aaaaaaah, .... may never happen, or by the time it does, nobody will care anymore sssssshhhhhhhhhh
    NYTOC83, Thesmartmale and jlhwan like this.
    03-04-15 02:42 PM
    Blackberry bring a full touch phablet Passport to the masses.

Posted via CB10
    03-04-15 02:50 PM
    given us the ever elusive flying car. It's like the TAT PlayBook demos. Oooooh, Aaaaaaah, .... may never happen, or by the time it does, nobody will care anymore sssssshhhhhhhhhh
    I'm just saying that I'll wait to see what the production version of this slider looks like before I judge. It may or may not turn out to be the perfect upgrade path for the Z30.

It's supposed to go into production in June, so we should know fairly soon.

Although I'm sure you were just generalising, I apologise for no one. I write what I think.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2267
    03-04-15 03:13 PM
    I'm just saying that I'll wait to see what the production version of this slider looks like before I judge. It may or may not turn out to be the perfect upgrade path for the Z30.

It's supposed to go into production in June, so we should know fairly soon.

Although I'm sure you were just generalising, I apologise for no one. I write what I think.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2267
    I know... it truly was a long built up rant I wasn't suggesting you were an apologist, I was saying I am usually a BB apologist.

What's the source for June production? If there's actual evidence of that, it's much more palatable.
    03-04-15 03:34 PM

What's the source for June production? If there's actual evidence of that, it's much more palatable.
    The guys over at BlackBerry Central. Take it with a grain of salt of course.

Now if Bla1ze wanted to tell us something, that would be solid!

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2267
    03-04-15 03:39 PM
    I'm sitting here looking at my Z30..

On Friday I'll be heading into the mall to recycle my LG flip phone from Telus which I got in 2003 followed by a UT Starcom device, an LG Venus, BlackBerry Curve 8300 from 2008, a BlackBerry Torch 9800 from 2010 which got me through all the way up until 2012; by then I used a Motorola EX 225 pay-as-you-go then an LG Shine. After that 2013 was all Z10 until that malfunctioned, is there a point to this?

As an individual, I feel as if BlackBerry has done a good job in moving people forward while attempting to keep things simple. The last time I truly held my Torch was only a few years ago, the evolution of transitioning from a physical format type keyboard to a virtual one took me some time. I honestly don't know what to think, I feel sort of happy to see such a device again. But what bothered me the most about technology 5 years ago was that sliding belt that would essentially break phones in half.

Telus has offered to pay out the remaining 10 months left on my contract because of an issue, however, the deal I made to the guy was that I'll wait to see what BlackBerry offers at this event and if nothing good comes of it, I'll either stick with my Z30 or wait until 2016 when the next wave of devices roll out. I'm not feeling confident enough to walk away from something like the Z30, this "Leap" looks wonderful, but they've been purposely not showing particular angles of it. I have moved away from sliding devices because it began to feel natural going virtual. At times I am disappointed trying to open e-mails in Outlook because the touch screen doesn't respond so well.

So then, what device does someone get who makes: phone calls, sends/receives texts messages, uses BBM frequently, occasionally checks e-mails on the go but not too often. Plays games like Sonic CD, Spiderman... puzzles.. the simple stuff. This is what I like, BlackBerry isn't hoping everyone will be satisfied with either devices. How many people had a Curve and Bold during those days and didn't care what the phone had under its skin? It got the job done. In fact, I think how things are now with people still holding onto the Z10, the Q10, the Z30 and now the Passports; it feels as if BlackBerry has revitalized its community and pushed them forward. This Slider "Leap" won't be my cup of tea by any means.

I'm a strong believer that when Windows and BlackBerry releases their much anticipated and somehow forgotten device, it will be something else...I really wish they had kept the wind blowing on this report because it has lost steam between everything that has happened to both company's. BlackBerry is for everyone, but it depends what you're looking for and where you want to take yourself.

There's only so much a phone can do... and more.
    Last edited by NYTOC83; 03-04-15 at 04:59 PM.
    03-04-15 04:31 PM
    I'm sitting here looking at my Z30..

On Friday I'll be heading into the mall to recycle my LG flip phone from Telus which I got in 2003 followed by a UT Starcom device, an LG Venus, BlackBerry Curve 8300 from 2006, a BlackBerry Torch 9800 from 2008 which got me through all the way up until 2012; by then I used a Motorola EX 225 pay-as-you-go then an LG Shine. After that 2013 was all Z10 until that malfunctioned, is there a point to this?

As an individual, I feel as if BlackBerry has done a good job in moving people forward while attempting to keep things simple. The last time I truly held my Torch was only a few years ago, the evolution of transitioning from a physical format type keyboard to a virtual one took me some time. I honestly don't know what to think, I feel sort of happy to see such a device again. But what bothered me the most about technology 5 years ago was that sliding belt that would essentially break phones in half.

Telus has offered to pay out the remaining 10 months left on my contract because of an issue, however, the deal I made to the guy was that I'll wait to see what BlackBerry offers at this event and if nothing good comes of it, I'll either stick with my Z30 or wait until 2016 when the next wave of devices roll out. I'm not feeling confident enough to walk away from something like the Z30, this "Leap" looks wonderful, but they've been purposely not showing particular angles of it. I have moved away from sliding devices because it began to feel natural going virtual. At times I am disappointed trying to open e-mails in Outlook because the touch screen doesn't respond so well.

So then, what device does someone get who makes: phone calls, sends/receives texts messages, uses BBM frequently, occasionally checks e-mails on the go but not too often. Plays games like Sonic CD, Spiderman... puzzles.. the simple stuff. This is what I like, BlackBerry isn't hoping everyone will be satisfied with either devices. How many people had a Curve and Bold during those days and didn't care what the phone had under its skin? It got the job done. In fact, I think how things are now with people still holding onto the Z10, the Q10, the Z30 and now the Passports; it feels as if BlackBerry has revitalized its community and pushed them forward. This Slider "Leap" won't be my cup of tea by any means.

I'm a strong believer that when Windows and BlackBerry releases their much anticipated and somehow forgotten device, it will be something else...I really wish they had kept the wind blowing on this report because it has lost steam between everything that has happened to both company's. BlackBerry is for everyone, but it depends what you're looking for and where you want to take yourself.

There's only so much a phone can do... and more.
    The slider isn't the leap. The leap is an upgrade to the Z3

Posted via CB10
    03-04-15 04:36 PM
    Yeah I believe there was a misunderstanding about that, the guy in the video clearly called the Slider the "Leap" which is very misrepresenting. But I think someone messaged me back saying the message boards got it wrong and that the Leap is the Slider?? Looks similar to the Samsung Galaxy line.
    03-04-15 04:58 PM
    Yeah I believe there was a misunderstanding about that, the guy in the video clearly called the Slider the "Leap" which is very misrepresenting. But I think someone messaged me back saying the message boards got it wrong and that the Leap is the Slider?? Looks similar to the Samsung Galaxy line.
    No one called the leap the slider. The leap is a low-end full touch upgrade to the Z3

The Slider is a hybrid between full touch and pkb device.

Posted via CB10
    03-04-15 05:05 PM
    Just check out PocketNow and CNET's YouTube channels, and I think even BlackBerry's YouTube channel too.. They have hands on first looks of the Leap and it is not a slider. The slider has a much different and robust rear camera, unlike the Leap. The Leap is also a standard 5" display, where as the slider has dual curved edge display.

Posted via CB10 on BlackBerry Passport
    03-04-15 05:14 PM
    I now understand why Samsung releases phones every 6 months. If you're not moving forward then you may as well be moving backwards. And we have the amazing people at BlackBerry releasing new phones basically whenever they feel like it. Ugh. #comingsoon
    03-04-15 06:25 PM
    [Rant]
    Ugh, all this complaining on a phone that was shown for a few seconds. It doesn't even have any specs yet. I know it's on me to read negative BlackBerry posts or not, but if BlackBerry is so bad, then just leave already.
    03-04-15 07:42 PM
629 ... 1819202122 ...