So with the dual curved edges, would this phone need an edge-specific version of BB10 to fully utilize them?

Would loading leaks lacking this edge-software break the functionality?

Seems like another feature (1:1 screen, capacitive keyboard, tool belt/trackpad) added to another BB10 device that further fragments what developers could do to optimize for BB10.
    Thesmartmale likes this.
    03-03-15 02:29 PM
    If they balance it right, it won't be top heavy. Perfect example is the Pre3 I'm typing this on. It's not as big as that looks, but looking at the white one, the area that slides up is thinner and prob much lighter than the back half. I'd buy it if it's not too huge overall.
    Oh dear... oh d-d-d-dear... Grabber buying a BlackBerry???!!
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    03-03-15 02:29 PM
    So with the dual curved edges, would this phone need an edge-specific version of BB10 to fully utilize them?

Seems like another feature (1:1 screen, capacitive keyboard, tool belt/trackpad) added to another BB10 device that further fragments what developers could do to optimize for BB10.
    The OS will definitely need provisions for the edge, but it's likely no different than the difference between physical keyboard and full-touch version of the OS.

As for third-party apps, unless BlackBerry opens up APIs for any special edge functionality, they should function no differently than on a full-touch BB10 device - that's the way it works on the S6 edge.
    03-03-15 02:32 PM
    What are you even talking about? No phone has a camera at the bottom. Perhaps you should read all pages

Posted via CB10
    Look the white one. The camera is on the back, but not "up". Not sure how to tell in English. Not on top like an iPhone. On the bottom of the back.
    I think that I made a mistake. The screen seems to move up, and not the KB to move down. KB is "glue" with the body.
    Last edited by AL8x B; 03-04-15 at 02:52 AM.
    03-03-15 02:35 PM
    For a company that has a gigantic love affair with reusing 90+% of components in all their phones years after their expiry date it is frustrating that they won't put that philosophy towards a touch device using the same components as the slider. At the end of the day, I don't think Chen hates touch, he just thinks there is no chance to sell a meaningful number of devices considering who he is competing against. The best we can hope for is wildly successful slider sales that allow them to release a touch to market.
    I really wish that people would not make comments along these lines, we see them for every new high-end BB with a form factor that doesn't suit them, there is vastly more complexity to making a mobile phone than just slapping the components into a casing and calling it a different name, with the vast amount of antennas in these slim modern devices there would be a lot of extra work just in that area alone.

The other thing to consider is that while the all-touch only BB audience is going to be larger than the slider only audience, a slider (like the passport before it) is going to stand a better chance of attracting interest from outside the BB10 userbase which is crucial for a project's viability and in any case plenty of the current all-touch BB10 users would also consider this device too as long as the mechanism didn't add too much to the bulk of the device as they could mostly use it as just full-touch.
    03-03-15 02:36 PM
    The curve is definitely not that pronounced. Here's a front-side shot of the Galaxy S6 edge for reference:

Attachment 338494
    I think the curve just may be like the Nexus 4
    New Device - Slider with Curved display, coming 2015!-5ziqc4t.jpg
    03-03-15 02:36 PM
    I think the curve just may be like the Nexus 4
    BlackBerry has specifically said (and you can vaguely tell by the photos) that it will be the display that is curved on both sides. The Nexus 4 does not have a curved display, it's just the glass that curves.
    03-03-15 02:37 PM

I doubt it would require an entirely new OS build. Just the UI layer would need work to detect the Edge hardware, and incorporate the added features accordingly. Just like the Galaxy/Note series don't need a completely different build of Android , it's just Sammy's TouchWiz/UI layer that utilizes it.

Penned via Tapatalk
    jmr1015 likes this.
    03-03-15 02:41 PM
    I doubt it's pre-production unit, the final production version will look exactly the same I bet.
    It will definitely be a pre-production unit at this stage, you would tend to have at least three major revisions of a device like this prior to shipping hardware, the first one would not have the final rf performance nor casing, then there would be one with final antennas but not the casing and then you would have one more internal revision that was basically final hardware and then final hardware. (On some projects with less complexity or more reuse of existing stuff then stages 2&3 or 3&4 might be combined)

If they didn't use alpha, beta etc or simply revision numbers then typically these are named as follows:

Engineering Validation Test (EVT)
    Design Validation Test (DVT)
    Production Validation Test (PVT)
    Mass Production (MP)
    03-03-15 02:45 PM
    Blackberry Slide Curved

New Device - Slider with Curved display, coming 2015!-blackberry-slidely-curved.jpg

Should be nice also without slide
    03-03-15 02:48 PM
    If BlackBerry had any BRAINS they would bring Verizon and AT&T to the table as key stakeholders from the get go for any new device. They are both arguably BlackBerry's most important partners. They need their blessing up front in order to get these phones on their networks as soon as they are released. But this is BlackBerry we are talking about so forget what I just said...
    They almost certainly do this with those carriers and the major global carrier groups, but the simple fact of the matter is that the two american carriers take far longer to approve new hardware than somebody like Vodafone since the latter and other european carrier groups use something called GCF certification as part of their hardware approval process and that gets completed prior to the final carrier testing.

BB cannot afford to have carriers ready to take and sell new devices while the american two sit around doing their own approvals, just look at the gap between everywhere else and AT&T launching the classic and passport, do you really think that they didn't get either of those at a fairly similar time as the rest of the world?
    03-03-15 02:53 PM
    It will definitely be a pre-production unit at this stage, you would tend to have at least three major revisions of a device like this prior to shipping hardware, the first one would not have the final rf performance nor casing, then there would be one with final antennas but not the casing and then you would have one more internal revision that was basically final hardware and then final hardware. (On some projects with less complexity or more reuse of existing stuff then stages 2&3 or 3&4 might be combined)

If they didn't use alpha, beta etc or simply revision numbers then typically these are named as follows:

Engineering Validation Test (EVT)
    Design Validation Test (DVT)
    Production Validation Test (PVT)
    Mass Production (MP)
    That's what everyone was saying about the Passport too, and the final version looked exactly the same as the very first leak.
    03-03-15 02:59 PM
    I think you are on to something here. Let's face it, there are so many slab all-touch devices out there that it's as crowded as a Tokyo commuter train at rush hour. Why add to the crush when you are struggling to turn the company around? You need to be noticed and another slab won't do it, at least for the time being.
    This is the point that the all-touch only or death minority seem to be overlooking, BB has to come at large-screen touch devices in a slightly different way for people to notice them and so we will continue to see devices like the passport and now this slider as they try to offer devices that could appeal to the all-touch BB10 market as well as offering something new that might attract the attention of ios/android users who would simply not swap for another identikit all-touch device.

The suggestion that they should do an all-touch in addition to the different device also overlooks the limited market for a BB10 high-end device for existing users, there will be plenty of overlap between potential slider buyers and potential all-touch buyers so releasing two models near each other would not add significantly to sales while adding noticeably to development costs.
    03-03-15 03:00 PM
    That's what everyone was saying about the Passport too, and the final version looked exactly the same as the very first leak.
    There won't be huge differences since any major changes during a project could have an impact on RF performance, heat dissipation etc. but this will have definitely been pre-production units on show as if they had final hardware available the thing would have been close enough to launch that they would have given us a date for it.
    03-03-15 03:03 PM
    Double edge like this???

New Device - Slider with Curved display, coming 2015!-samsung-galaxy-s6-concept-deepak.jpg
    03-03-15 03:12 PM
    Here's another picture. Looks like the slider in white. Back very similar to new Galaxy S6, same camera setup.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]338517[/ATTACH

EDIT: Whoops, didn't realize it had already been posted.
    Attached Thumbnails New Device - Slider with Curved display, coming 2015!-b_kwwpvu0aatnku.jpg  
    03-03-15 03:16 PM
    Blackberry Slide Curved

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blackberry slidely Curved.jpg 
Views:	717 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	338505

Should be nice also without slide
    Who shopped that one.

New Device - Slider with Curved display, coming 2015!-rybawc4.jpg
    7onZ likes this.
    03-03-15 03:18 PM
    Can someone explain what's the point with a curved display? Is there any advantage with it or just a show off that Samsung can create foldable displays?
    03-03-15 03:28 PM
    Which is ALSO why I could see it have the exact same specs as my current Z10. #Fear #Hope
    People this is a flagship phone......it will not some dual core s4 processor lets be real now.....
    anon(55900) likes this.
    03-03-15 03:32 PM
    You're welcome to your opinion. That said, this thread has lit up with enthusiastic comments, and we have filled up 14 pages of comments in less than a day. You had stated that nobody wants a slider, and I simply stated that you are incorrect. A lot of people would love a slider phone. This is somewhat similar to the Passport discussion. I was one of the people who thought the beta versions of the phone looked horrific. And I wasn't enthralled (and am still not) with the virtual row of keys. That said, the reaction tot he Passport has been far more positive than people expected it to be.
    I personally think that there are a lot of business users who love having a full touchscreen phone that isn't a square, and were hesitant to try out the Passport, but they loved having a keyboard, and would be very open to trying out a slider phone like this. I actually spoke to someone yesterday who was talking about how much she missed her keyboard when she saw my Passport.
    Sure, I get it that some people only want a slab phone, and the less exciting part of yesterday's news was that another slab phone is coming out.
    I'd be willing to bet a high end slab will get released early next year too, probably after the media excitement over the slider phone dies down.
    Anyway, to be clear, I *am* speaking for myself, and lots of other people who are excited about this new phone. That's all. Wasn't implying that slab phones were bad, or that your opinion doesn't matter. Just saying that your assumption that nobody (or not many people) will want the slider phone is an opinion that doesn't seem to match the enthusiastic responses that the news has generated.

No, you speak for yourself! If people beg for you to kill yourself, will you do it? People wanted a full touch except for like 12 BlackBerry fans who wanted a slider

Posted via CB10
    03-03-15 03:33 PM
    Oh dear... oh d-d-d-dear... Grabber buying a BlackBerry???!!
    LOL, don't worry, not giving up webOS as a daily driver. Eventually, they're going to stop working though, so I have to keep an eye on things.
    03-03-15 03:34 PM
    Can someone explain what's the point with a curved display? Is there any advantage with it or just a show off that Samsung can create foldable displays?
    In the case of BB10 you could use it for notification icons or in the hub you could use it for that single icon width menu while not taking away your focus from most of the content in the main part of the display. It might be a little gimmicky, but hopefully they will find ways to use it productively and not simply have it push up the overall cost of the device.
    03-03-15 03:34 PM
    I am a bit.
    People had been begging for a slider. To my knowledge, nobody had been asking for a strange square QWERTY device with a hybrid keyboard.
    I'm glad that the Passport has pleased a lot of people, but I would have much preferred a slider too.

Hmm? Imagine keeping something secret as to not affect current sales and revenue generation. Are you really pissed off at BlackBerry for this?

Posted via CB10
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    03-03-15 03:36 PM
    Curved provides improved durability from impacts. And Samsung has also already demonstrated with examples the usefulness and ingenuity of providing visual information on the curved edges. Ie... In a meeting where you leave your device face down to squelch Audible notifications, but at a glance can see who's trying to contact you, and color code the notifications to denote how important it may be. Extended gestures that don't rely upon touch sensitive bezels on the sides of the display. The ability to reduce the overall width of a device without sacrificing screensize. And more.

Penned via Tapatalk
    kfh227 and TheQuietRioter like this.
    03-03-15 03:44 PM
    Betcha one of those there will be a buyout announcement in q4.
    03-03-15 03:45 PM
629 ... 1213141516 ...