Oh man, really looking forward to this (I hope). I was hoping for Z10-sized slider, but screens just keep getting bigger and bigger, so I may have to compromise on that. I was a little worried they'd go with the Passport-type keyboard on this, but it looks more like the physical Classic-style (I think). Not a fan of what appears to be the capacitive buttons - I held off on getting a Q10 because of the missing Physical call/end buttons. This with a Toolbelt, and I think I can overlook the large size!
    Z10 from launch and still running strong (esp. since. 10.3.1), but that upgrade itch is getting stronger. . .
    Tim-ANC and MarsupilamiX like this.
    03-03-15 08:34 AM
    That's a different phone. As someone who has been *begging* for a slider, huge is what I want. And if the full keyboard slides out, why not have an actual full keyboard instead of the hidden gimmick?
    I have no problem with that hybrid phone being released later, but this has been long overdue.

That thing just looks large and bulky! Definitely not what I expected from a "hybrid innovative" device. And wheres the one row visible and retractable keyboard!
    Tim-ANC and MarsupilamiX like this.
    03-03-15 08:35 AM
    The Dell venue Pro. It was awesome. Dell definitely had some quality issues that kept it from becoming popular, but I held onto mine as long as possible. I only grudgingly gave it up for the Passport.

A large portrait slider is definitely a niche device. Has any of these ever really caught on? The last one that I remember was that Dell one that practically disappeared after it was launched.
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    03-03-15 08:37 AM
    GD it. Where is the full touch. I still have a Z10 that has occasional hardware hickups that I WANT/NEED to replace.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    03-03-15 08:39 AM
    I'd buy two if I had the budget to afford two.

I'll buy it wooohoo

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on 4G Altel network
    Truly happy for the ones who have been begging for a slider for ages!

Posted via CB10
    For those that poo-poo a slider keyboard, you've never tried a Palm/HP pre phone. I can touch type without looking at the phone at all and the integration with the OS is amazing. I type anything and it gives me all the options... email it, text it, save it to memo, look it up on the web, matching contacts, etc. Since WebOS is reaching a critical point for me, BlackBerry has come the closest to the spirit of WebOS design. If this phone is out on Verizon for a reasonable price, I'm in.
    That's a different phone. As someone who has been *begging* for a slider, huge is what I want. And if the full keyboard slides out, why not have an actual full keyboard instead of the hidden gimmick?
    I have no problem with that hybrid phone being released later, but this has been long overdue.
    While I don't agree with this device existing, I strongly agree with this.
    Tim Heard and MarsupilamiX like this.
    03-03-15 08:40 AM
    As much as I want one this phone its gonna be expensive as hell! Porsche Design?? My gawwd I can only imagine the ticket on this. This is way out of my lane but i'm a BlackBerry fan so I definitely want to to succeed with this!!

Not Fours Years But A Lifetime
    03-03-15 08:47 AM
    Speak for yourself. People have been begging for a slider.

Looks nice except why make a slider??? Why couldn't they just make this same device but all touch screen. People nowadays don't want pkb's, they want all touch screen

Posted via CB10
    Uzi, Tim-ANC, RyanGermann and 1 others like this.
    03-03-15 08:50 AM
    probably QHD, 3GB Ram, Snapdragon 810, 32GB, and SD slot.
    This is the way they have to go. At least

CB10 on Q10 with OS 10.3.1.1581
    03-03-15 08:59 AM
    Flash back 6 months, people on this forum were asking for a slider.

Flash forward to today, BlackBerry announces a slider and people are complaining.

There is really no pleasing you guys haha.
    03-03-15 08:59 AM
    I think (but unlike most people on the internet, I'm not sure) that the last six months may have revealed BlackBerry's new direction. It seems likely that they are going to focus on the niches that every other smartphone maker abandoned to jump into the i-slab market, and go cross-platform to get into that market as well. I really wonder if there will ever be another high-end all-touch BlackBerry.

I don't think it's a bad strategy. A lot of people used to like devices with physical keyboards, and if BlackBerry can serve that market, and pretty much have it to themselves, the company might survive.

If they can somehow go cross-platform effectively too, and monetize some of the services they provide by doing so, all the better. I really hope they give away the hub/bbm/keyboard suite to people on iOS and android, and use it as a wedge to sell ancillary services.
    andyk350 and Tim-ANC like this.
    03-03-15 09:00 AM
    As much as I want one this phone its gonna be expensive as hell! Porsche Design?? My gawwd I can only imagine the ticket on this. This is way out of my lane but i'm a BlackBerry fan so I definitely want to to succeed with this!!

Not Fours Years But A Lifetime
    No CrackBerry made a mistake... the Porsche Design is the Keian phone....

The slider doesn't have a name yet and so far only rumor is that Samsung is involve in the design
    FairlightRacing likes this.
    03-03-15 09:02 AM
    Is there a tool-belt on this slider or not? Can't be 100% certain.
    03-03-15 09:04 AM
    I'm just gonna say what some of us are so scared to...

NO.

Stop BSing & experimenting with stuff that has already tried & failed; from companies that actually had the money to waste. A curved screen? NO. Stop developing backwards. They don't even make contoured regular home phones anymore. Perfect the OS, improve on OS features & develop a damn high end FULL Touch.

Curved Slider... NO

+we just made fun of iphones for bending... now we are going to make a curved slider.
    YES

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2480 O2 UK
    Thesmartmale and Tim-ANC like this.
    03-03-15 09:07 AM
    If the specs are half decent, this will definitely be my next phone.

Posted via CB10
    Tim-ANC and jakie55 like this.
    03-03-15 09:11 AM
    I think (but unlike most people on the internet, I'm not sure) that the last six months may have revealed BlackBerry's new direction. It seems likely that they are going to focus on the niches that every other smartphone maker abandoned to jump into the i-slab market, and go cross-platform to get into that market as well. I really wonder if there will ever be another high-end all-touch BlackBerry.

I don't think it's a bad strategy. A lot of people used to like devices with physical keyboards, and if BlackBerry can serve that market, and pretty much have it to themselves, the company might survive.

If they can somehow go cross-platform effectively too, and monetize some of the services they provide by doing so, all the better. I really hope they give away the hub/bbm/keyboard suite to people on iOS and android, and use it as a wedge to sell ancillary services.
    I think you are on to something here. Let's face it, there are so many slab all-touch devices out there that it's as crowded as a Tokyo commuter train at rush hour. Why add to the crush when you are struggling to turn the company around? You need to be noticed and another slab won't do it, at least for the time being.

Posted via CB10
    anon(55900) and jakie55 like this.
    03-03-15 09:12 AM
    I think there is a big chance this is repackaged S6.
    03-03-15 09:16 AM
    You can't blame the keyboard for the failure of the Dell, Dell's full touch models also failed. Even when blackberry was at it's peak a lot of keyboard devies by other manufacturers failed. I agree that this device would be a niche, but a very large niche. Because for business people or anyone really serious about messaging, it will be superior. When you are typing on the keyboard you now have SO much more screen real estate free for viewing the text.
    I own one: runs windows phone number 7.8, battery lasts about 6 hours under load, maddening UI issues with the capacitive hard buttons both appearance and behaviour, but the hardware including the screen and even the keyboard were both great. It is proof that a portrait slider can be a great device.

This device is a 'to know it is to love it' device : I would put money on people who test it as a daily driver for a week (regardless of their platform of choice) would like it a lot and miss it even if they did go back to full slab.

Posted via CB10
    Tim Heard likes this.
    03-03-15 09:20 AM

Flash forward to today, BlackBerry announces a slider and people are complaining.

No, the vocal minority wanted one.

Posted via CB10
    Thesmartmale likes this.
    03-03-15 09:23 AM
    Regarding the last information we got, it didn't prevent Blackberrys ongoing decline in market share. John Chen doesn't even mention sale numbers anymore. Clear signs that it is nothing that could be regarded as a saviour device or anything similar. No matter how "pretty sure" you feel about it.
    Hardware sales went positive 2 Quarters ago, just before the Passport Launch.
    Chen didn't reveal all the Passport numbers because not all of the sale thru's were in the last quarterly announcement. And if he said they only sold 70,000, because that's all they could build, then the negative nellies would only pay attention to the low numbers and not that it was a good thing.

So, regardless of the percentage of phones that BlackBerry is selling, the phones that they do sell are done at a profit. Both the Passport and Classic have sold at rates higher than expected.

The issue now is to regain software revenue.
    03-03-15 09:23 AM
    Interesting. I'll wait before I start doing cartwheels. But, that is good news, IMO.

Q10_OS >10.3.1.2267 / 2268 Radio (*_~)
    Tim Heard likes this.
    03-03-15 09:24 AM

You cannot satisfy some people no matter how hard you try! They just need to sit on a b**t plug

 PassportSQW100-1 / 10.3.1.2480
    Tim Heard likes this.
    03-03-15 09:26 AM
    I'm happy that people can have a slider which they've been begging for. I'm only upset because there is no high-end all touch

Posted via CB10
    Tim-ANC and Blacklatino like this.
    03-03-15 09:34 AM
629 ... 678910 ...