As long as they're still doing that, it's a great deal.

Mine was an ATT unlocked also that got "debranded" by BlackBerry. LOL. I got it for $299 on eBay when ATT first started dumping it's stock. It was a great deal for me.
    I got the same deal last April. $299, no shipping cost, no tax. A couple of months later.....poof no bloat and updates from BlackBerry direct. Best purchase I've ever made.
    05-17-17 09:48 AM
    If a device was originally purchased from AT&T, you cannot change it to BlackBerry. BB only picked up the devices sold by others.
    Some AT&T purchasers got the switch to BB when the 'no signal' problem was patched.
    You may be able to get rid of the AT&T stuff by unlocking it and updating it. But this will require the unlock code and a non AT&T SIM.
    And beware, there have been some problems with the AT&T unlock codes. If it doesn't unlock by the third try, STOP, and take it to an AT&T store. If you keep trying you will brick the phone.

This whole AT&T thing has been convoluted and confusing, but I'm pretty sure that as long as AT&T has the IMEI recorded, and BlackBerry doesn't, you are stuck with AT&T updates, (or lack of) and bloat / spyware.
    I'm on GoPhone with an AT&T Sim. Bought it At&t unlocked from ebay new. I receive my updates from Blackberry, never entered unlock code, don't have At&t bloat.

The process is via IMEI code, not the unlocking.
    05-17-17 09:52 AM
    Sadly my work has created apps that will not run properly on the Passport. They run perfectly on my Priv. If not for that and my wife getting me MLBTV Premium, I would not have switched.
    (MLB on the Passport will let you listen, but won't let you watch games. Again works perfectly on the Priv)
    MLB At Bat still works (video) on BB10 with last year's apk.

This is the version I have working on my devices (Q10, Z10, Passport):
    com.bamnetworks.mobile.android.gameday.atbat.ver.5 .5.0.build.55001003.apk

Q10SQN100-1/10.3.3.2205 | Bell
    05-17-17 09:55 AM
    Bought from AT&T subscriber. I am one as well so my sim is AT&T as well.

However, I read that November update WAs supposed to unlock all that.
    Yes you cannot remove bloatware from att priv bought from att. I bought my att priv from amazon and it was already unlocked when I got it.
    05-17-17 03:09 PM
    I'm on GoPhone with an AT&T Sim. Bought it At&t unlocked from ebay new. I receive my updates from Blackberry, never entered unlock code, don't have At&t bloat.
    You bought from an EBay vendor not AT&T, most of those had the IMEI sorted. Once the IMEI is registered with BB, it doesn't matter what SIM you use, or none, it's a factory unlocked version.
    But AT&T is not going to transfer IMEI to BB on an AT&T locked phone. It first must be unlocked, and that does require a foreign SIM. After it's unlocked, SIM no longer matters.
    And note that many of the EBay devices are shipped still locked, but with unlock code in packaging.
    Nathan Conley likes this.
    05-17-17 04:32 PM
    You bought from an EBay vendor not AT&T, most of those had the IMEI sorted. Once the IMEI is registered with BB, it doesn't matter what SIM you use, or none, it's a factory unlocked version.
    But AT&T is not going to transfer IMEI to BB on an AT&T locked phone. It first must be unlocked, and that does require a foreign SIM. After it's unlocked, SIM no longer matters.
    And note that many of the EBay devices are shipped still locked, but with unlock code in packaging.
    I never inferred anything other than this. I was simply stating that the process was completely independent of a SIM card on another network.

Like you said earlier, it was confusing and convoluted roll out. The only point of concern for a purchaser is to verify the phone never was bought from AT&T.
    05-17-17 06:03 PM
    I was simply stating that the process was completely independent of a SIM card on another network.
    True, except for the carrier unlocking part, if required. And even when not required, if, I'm guessing, AT&T has unlocked it, or otherwise released the IMEI to BlackBerry.
    Quite a few of the devices sold on EBay, and even some from Amazon were not originally purchased from AT&T, at least not the retail level, but were shipped to end users locked to AT&T, but with an unlock code provided. Those are the ones that need a foreign SIM for the initial carrier unlock.
    My guess is that BB did the carrier locking for AT&T, those not sold by AT&T were wholesaled to various 3rd parties. Then another batch got unloaded to 3rd parties that had never been carrier locked, but did have all the AT&T 'special' software.
    Again, this is guesswork, but does explain why some need carrier unlocking and some don't.
    Even now, nobody knows how so many of the things got unloaded to 3rd party retailers.
    Possibly AT&T and or their authorized retailers unloaded a bunch, then BB, seeing AT&T wasn't going to purchase any more stock unloaded the rest of them?
    Nathan Conley likes this.
    05-17-17 08:54 PM
    True, except for the carrier unlocking part, if required. And even when not required, if, I'm guessing, AT&T has unlocked it, or otherwise released the IMEI to BlackBerry.
    Quite a few of the devices sold on EBay, and even some from Amazon were not originally purchased from AT&T, at least not the retail level, but were shipped to end users locked to AT&T, but with an unlock code provided. Those are the ones that need a foreign SIM for the initial carrier unlock.
    My guess is that BB did the carrier locking for AT&T, those not sold by AT&T were wholesaled to various 3rd parties. Then another batch got unloaded to 3rd parties that had never been carrier locked, but did have all the AT&T 'special' software.
    Again, this is guesswork, but does explain why some need carrier unlocking and some don't.
    Even now, nobody knows how so many of the things got unloaded to 3rd party retailers.
    Possibly AT&T and or their authorized retailers unloaded a bunch, then BB, seeing AT&T wasn't going to purchase any more stock unloaded the rest of them?
    Strange. Mine came with an unlock code, but I never unlocked it due to directly going onto AT&T.

I thought they sorted this out with the second batch of IMEI numbers that went to BlackBerry.

Good info, guess I learned that it's still an ongoing confusing situation.
    05-17-17 10:37 PM
    Wish I held out a little longer for that deal. I got mine in March for 270. I definitely feel like I got my money's worth.

I will patiently wait for a Keyone price drop if my Priv holds up. I plan to keep the Priv as a backup also.
    Got mine when it dropped to $350 nine months ago. I dont regret buying at that price point. The nine months of having it already was definitely worth it.

Been lusting for the KeyOne, but I'll hold off as well until it drops at $300.
    05-20-17 12:39 PM
34 12