Verizon customer deciding on a new smartphone. Like the privs pkb but also want to use a stylus for handwritten notes. Was told by BB tech support priv does not support a stylus. Is this an absolute certainty?
    08-21-16 11:43 AM
    Verizon customer deciding on a new smartphone. Like the privs pkb but also want to use a stylus for handwritten notes. Was told by BB tech support priv does not support a stylus. Is this an absolute certainty?
    I'm not sure what they mean. But I was curious and so dug to find a stylus in my myriad of crap and found one. I was able to swipe up and wake the phone with it. I was able to open the Playstore and download a Drawing program using it. I was able to type Open with it. And I was able to draw with it.

Here's the crude results in a screenshot. I added all of those elements including typing the text and moving it and the lips-icon around using it. I could select the apps menus using it.

New to Blackberry, considering a Priv. Can a stylus be used with any apps?-screenshot_2016-08-21-10-10-31.jpg

I don't know about a NOTES app. And I don't know if it can convert handwritten script into editable ascii characters.
    08-21-16 12:16 PM
    It won't work with a digital stylus, but will work with any touch stylus. Apps will allow writing or character recognition if they are designed for it.
    08-21-16 12:30 PM
    It won't work with a digital stylus, but will work with any touch stylus. Apps will allow writing or character recognition if they are designed for it.
    I have to admit ignorance. What is a digital stylus? Kind of looked around but only saw ads for stuff. Wiki did not have that term on quick inspection.
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    08-21-16 12:54 PM
    I have to admit ignorance. What is a digital stylus? Kind of looked around but only saw ads for stuff. Wiki did not have that term on quick inspection.
    Wacom makes them. They typically require special software to unlock the potential such as how hard you push in screen, etc. BTW I do not own one, just a cheap ol' stylus to mark up presentations and it works good on the PRIV. Which I'm guessing will work for you as well.

My stylus pen cost $10
    WT44, anon(3641385) and FF22 like this.
    08-21-16 01:06 PM
    My son received a free stylus with a soft tip for his phone. I found it to be very handy to edit some documents that required my signature a few months ago. Even happier to find I could do something from my phone that would require more steps (and possibly a printer and scanner) if I had not been able to perform this function.

Posted via CB10
    08-21-16 11:51 PM
    The old type of styluses that Palm OS and Windows Mobile used won't work on our devices. The screen is a capacitive touch.

You'll need a stylus that works with a capacitive style screen. Something like this:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Griffin-Sty...UvbUpU12559054

I hate how fat the tips are on most of them.
    08-22-16 04:48 AM
    Samsung Note series is a good example, pen is make specifically for the device and allows for finer controls and tips. Apple pencil also works this way.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    FF22 likes this.
    08-22-16 07:00 AM
    Yes OP, a non-digital stylus will work with most any current touch screen phone or tablet. It's actually dependent on the app you're using whether a stylus is supported or not. Any drawing or freehand note app will support a stylus. I've been using a stylus on my Z30 for a couple of years now.

Posted via CB10
    pdstevens8 likes this.
    08-22-16 07:27 AM
    OK I get it. The OP will need a digital pen. Interesting question. The key, I think, is whether there is a decent Android notes app from the Google Play Store that someone's used with a Priv and digital pen. Please let us know when anyone here's successfully used the combo.

Posted via CB10 | SQC100-4 Classic in Cobalt Blue
    pdstevens8 likes this.
    08-22-16 07:35 AM
    OK I get it. The OP will need a digital pen. Interesting question. The key, I think, is whether there is a decent Android notes app from the Google Play Store that someone's used with a Priv and digital pen. Please let us know when anyone here's successfully used the combo.

Posted via CB10 | SQC100-4 Classic in Cobalt Blue
    Probably miscommunication, no, the OP DOESN'T need a digital stylus, just apps that support stylus use. Here is a helpful article for some apps that will work with a stylus on the Priv. http://www.androidauthority.com/best...-users-586579/

Posted via CB10
    pdstevens8, FF22 and anon(3641385) like this.
    08-22-16 10:56 AM
    Thank everyone for your input to my question. There seem to be more options than I expected given what BB support told me initially
    FF22 likes this.
    08-22-16 01:55 PM
    Thanks, I checked the link out. Looks like a number of options out there.
    Last edited by pdstevens8; 08-22-16 at 02:24 PM.
    08-22-16 02:05 PM
    Probably miscommunication, no, the OP DOESN'T need a digital stylus, just apps that support stylus use. Here is a helpful article for some apps that will work with a stylus on the Priv.
    11 best Android apps for stylus users and S Pen users

Posted via CB10
    Easy now. The OP's initial post indicated a desire to use a stylus of some kind with the notes app; thus a combo. This thread then diverged into whether the pen should be digital or not. I'm not going there. I simply want to look at the OP's end game. I'm sorry I'm no longer an active Android user and don't have a stylus, so I don't have any experience to offer. Mr. Rotowrench offers no personal experience on a pure Android device either, only a link that's almost a year and a half old.

That said, the latest LectureNotes app, whose latest version found in the Amazon Android app store dates from 8/3/16, is rated 4.5 stars, and is apparently compatible with Android 3.0. Here's a link:

https://www.amazon.com/Acadoid-Devel...UvbUpU12560028

Good luck to the OP in finding a solution!
    08-22-16 10:31 PM
    I know you asked about the Priv (I have one and love it) but you might check out the new Note7. It's amazing (but VERY expensive).
    bluesqueen23 likes this.
    08-22-16 11:52 PM
    Easy now. The OP's initial post indicated a desire to use a stylus of some kind with the notes app; thus a combo. This thread then diverged into whether the pen should be digital or not. I'm not going there. I simply want to look at the OP's end game. I'm sorry I'm no longer an active Android user and don't have a stylus, so I don't have any experience to offer. Mr. Rotowrench offers no personal experience on a pure Android device either, only a link that's almost a year and a half old.

That said, the latest LectureNotes app, whose latest version found in the Amazon Android app store dates from 8/3/16, is rated 4.5 stars, and is apparently compatible with Android 3.0. Here's a link:

https://www.amazon.com/Acadoid-Devel...UvbUpU12560100

Good luck to the OP in finding a solution!
    I believe you misunderstood my "no" in caps. It wasn't intended as a admonishment. As I said, I thought , based on your comment, that the OP was being told a digital/active stylus was needed, which is not the case. Sorry if you mistook my response.

As to the link, yes, a year old but still relevant, the point being a starting point for the OP's search, but not an end all. Here is a more current link, hopefully meeting your approval, but it is all of almost 2weeks old.

http://www.androidauthority.com/best...ndroid-205356/

Android experience? Not much, just a few months on an ASUS tablet I got from my daughter. But that has nothing to do with the OP's post, because as I said, a passive stylus will work on most any current touchscreen device, it's the app that needs to support the stylus use, regardless of the OS. F2 showed the Priv, with a supportive app, obviously works with a passive stylus, thus proving the OP was misinformed.
    Last edited by rotorwrench; 08-23-16 at 12:55 AM.
    08-23-16 12:30 AM
    I'm not sure what they mean. But I was curious and so dug to find a stylus in my myriad of crap and found one. I was able to swipe up and wake the phone with it. I was able to open the Playstore and download a Drawing program using it. I was able to type Open with it. And I was able to draw with it.

Here's the crude results in a screenshot. I added all of those elements including typing the text and moving it and the lips-icon around using it. I could select the apps menus using it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2016-08-21-10-10-31.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	406957

I don't know about a NOTES app. And I don't know if it can convert handwritten script into editable ascii characters.
    self portrait?

LOL

Amazing what you can do with a BlackBerry..............Woof!
    FF22 likes this.
    08-23-16 07:39 AM
    self portrait?

LOL

Amazing what you can do with a BlackBerry..............Woof!
    No. You know when studying artists recreate Masters paintings. This is either the Mona Lisa or Washington Crossing the Delaware.

Oh, and one more comment like that - I can tell you something else you can do with a Blackberry! It involves inserting it somewhere.
    08-23-16 08:36 AM
    No. You know when studying artists recreate Masters paintings. This is either the Mona Lisa or Washington Crossing the Delaware.

Oh, and one more comment like that - I can tell you something else you can do with a Blackberry! It involves inserting it somewhere.
    Wooooof!...........LOL
    FF22 likes this.
    08-23-16 09:34 AM
    Have a medical issue so prefer pkb to virtual, thus the Priv. The Note 7's pen is great but found the vkb hard to use. I choked on the Note 7 price and neither the note 5 or note 6 price has dropped very much relatively speaking.
    08-24-16 01:17 PM