If everyone thought like you BlackBerry would go under for sure. I've got the priv and really like it but regardless of what BlackBerry does this isn't going to be my last phone . I say if you like the priv get it. Worry about the future when it gets here.
    bitek likes this.
    02-16-16 06:33 PM
    Look elsewhere OP. Don't spend that much money on a Android device that could be abandoned by its maker next month.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. BlackBerry locking down the Priv is the only reason why my wife and I do not currently own one. I absolutely positively refuse to depend on BlackBerry for software updates. I'm still a little shocked that anyone would at this point given the last few years. I love the form factor, I am happy with the hardware, and I'd like to have a BlackBerry again, but I won't do that as long as BlackBerry continues to have full control of the software updates.

BlackBerry could stop updating the Priv at any time and the Priv will be stuck exactly where they left it. Why risk that much money on a device with such an uncertain future? I want that physical keyboard too, but not that much.

I wish they would release a second version of the Priv that is aimed at the well over 1 billion Android users who already own devices that aren't locked down and leave the current Priv for the 0.1% who need that level of security.
    This is a huge point. Sounds like you've been Chenned before and you won't be Chenned again! TBH if they had only not screwed up the pkb so bad I might have been tempted to chance it, in hopes I could make 2 years before BlackBerry goes under.

No root and being at the mercy of Chen just kills it for me.

Even if I was crazy enough to spend that much on a phone when the pkb was useless to me, there is no way I'd recommend to the OP or anyone else to follow my illogical decision.

Z30STA100-5 / 10.3.2.2813 / T-Mobile
    02-16-16 11:23 PM
    Look elsewhere OP. Don't spend that much money on a Android device that could be abandoned by its maker next month.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. BlackBerry locking down the Priv is the only reason why my wife and I do not currently own one. I absolutely positively refuse to depend on BlackBerry for software updates. I'm still a little shocked that anyone would at this point given the last few years. I love the form factor, I am happy with the hardware, and I'd like to have a BlackBerry again, but I won't do that as long as BlackBerry continues to have full control of the software updates.

BlackBerry could stop updating the Priv at any time and the Priv will be stuck exactly where they left it. Why risk that much money on a device with such an uncertain future? I want that physical keyboard too, but not that much.

I wish they would release a second version of the Priv that is aimed at the well over 1 billion Android users who already own devices that aren't locked down and leave the current Priv for the 0.1% who need that level of security.
    I don't think that this will ever soon happens. Think that they are still supporting the legacy OS devices.
    02-17-16 12:22 PM

That's excatly my point is

Posted via CB10
    02-17-16 12:30 PM
    Request owners to describe the pkb and it's functions. Are they just like on the bb 10. Like alt. And back space together will do a forward delete instead of a backward delete. And like when you keep pressing del, when the cursor reached the top left corner, the words on the right of the cursor start getting deleted?

9900 to q5 to Android
    02-29-16 09:00 AM
    I have had the priv for 3 months
    Once you get used to it you will love it. All the apps you want with BlackBerry hub and great keyboard . You won't look back. Camera is great. Dont listen to all the blackberry Bashers. Even the front camera is decent for what you need it for . Also as upgrades get made you will love it even more

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    What about the loud speaker quality? What about reception and earpiece call quality?

Posted via CB10
    02-29-16 10:51 PM
    What about the loud speaker quality? What about reception and earpiece call quality?

Posted via CB10
    In comparisson to the Z30 the loud speaker isn't in stereo and it's not as loud and clear.

I haven't heard about any reception problems or earpiece problems. Guess it all depends on what phone you're comparing it to.

Xperia Z5P / Android 5.1.1 / T-Mobile USA
    03-01-16 08:15 AM
    So I am planning to buy a priv coming from Q10. Now from what i heard, priv has bugs, it gets warm to overheat at times and front camera is pathetic
    Other than camera, does the bug issue and overheat issue exist? Need honest review before spending $700 on this phone.

Posted via CB10
    The phone does not overheat. The phone was hot when I got it but this went away after a while.

03-01-16 09:16 AM

1. This is pure fear mongering. Some said for years that blackberry will go under soon and this did not happened.

2. I do not regret buying z10 or z30 or even PlayBook. I had used and enjoyed these devices for long time. Now I moved to priv and I like it.

3. Blackberry kept updating PlayBook after it was discontinued

4. Blackberry keeps updating bb10

5. I rather buy priv than say iPhone 6 for close to $1000 with 1gb of ram where I cannot do proper multitasking.

6. There are many organizations that use bb10 so blackberry will obviously keeps updating it's os

03-01-16 09:26 AM
    This is a huge point. Sounds like you've been Chenned before and you won't be Chenned again! TBH if they had only not screwed up the pkb so bad I might have been tempted to chance it, in hopes I could make 2 years before BlackBerry goes under.

No root and being at the mercy of Chen just kills it for me.

Even if I was crazy enough to spend that much on a phone when the pkb was useless to me, there is no way I'd recommend to the OP or anyone else to follow my illogical decision.

Z30STA100-5 / 10.3.2.2813 / T-Mobile
    I am happy there is no root for priv because this means better security on my phone.

As to physical keyboard myself I love it. It is great and I would buy priv again. No regrets whatsoever.

03-01-16 09:28 AM

Posted via CB10
    Very good. I use phone speaker for conversions all the time and it is loud and clear.

Reception on my network is excellent as well.

03-01-16 09:30 AM
    1. This is pure fear mongering. Some said for years that blackberry will go under soon and this did not happened.

2. I do not regret buying z10 or z30 or even PlayBook. I had used and enjoyed these devices for long time. Now I moved to priv and I like it.

3. Blackberry kept updating PlayBook after it was discontinued

4. Blackberry keeps updating bb10

5. I rather buy priv than say iPhone 6 for close to $1000 with 1gb of ram where I cannot do proper multitasking.

6. There are many organizations that use bb10 so blackberry will obviously keeps updating it's os

Well, I hope for your sake that BlackBerry does a good job of keeping the Priv updated, but I wouldn't be willing to bet on it.

BlackBerry has the absolute worst track record with software updates of any phone manufacture I can think of. There is a huge list of devices that they released and then abandoned with the very next major OS update.

Seriously, look at all of the devices that never got OS 5. Then look at all of the devices that never got OS 6 (Bold 9000, Curve 8520 and many others). For example, my Storm 2, it never saw OS 6 even though it was only months old when the new OS came out. Then of course you have all the OS 6 devices that were abandoned as soon as OS 7 came out. Hello all of you 9650,9700, 9300 and 9800 owners. Of course then all of the OS 7 devices were left at OS 7 once BlackBerry 10 came along.

Oh well, at least they did get a BB10 update out to all those PlayBooks like TH said that they would. Right?
    03-01-16 11:07 AM
87 ... 234