Hi all,
    I am using a priv for last 1 year, Stv 100-4,new bought unlocked, initially the device was OK, had occasional heating issues, I was aware of the issues with snapdragon 808 and I was OK as it was only once in a while.
    I was using a Samsung evo pro card 64 gb class u3, formatted as internal storage, only using whatsapp as social media, no facebook, disabled Google now, Google assistant, pretty much everything Google, only has play store , Google music and text to speech, from blackberry WatchDox, black berry to do notes, password keeper productivity tab are disabled,
    Browser is firefox with duckduckgo as search engine and adblock plus,chrome is disabled,
    Not using cellular data, wifi at work and at home, 4g reception is poor at work, so using device only in 3g/2g only mode, voice call and sms messages are only important at work, so I was sticking to the basics only for the phone.
    Now the heating problems became too much for the past 1 month.
    10 mins normal Web browsing in Firefox, device becomes very warm, 5 mins YouTube in browser, device becomes so hot that the system end user protection gets turned on,
    1 min of 4k video in cam or 3 mins of viewfinder on in still camera, device is hot,
    15 mins of whatsapp video call, device became so hot that I was literally able to smell the PCB from the board when I smelt the top portion of priv( I was using device despite system end user protection turned on at about 5 min to the call itself)
    5 mins if cellular data is on, device is hot
    Here are the things I tried
    Hard reset done 1 month back didn't help much, I think the issues got bigger after that,
    Merely using a handful of apps, (moon plus, opera vpn, xwidgets, some study and work related apps , whatsapp, Firefox, crackberry app, office suite pro,)
    Tried turning on developer options - animation turned off, restricted background apps,
    Was using SD card as internal storage, now I reformatted it as external storage thinking to avoid that extra use of cpu on encrypting and decrypting Sd card,
    Sadly all these things didn't improve the heating issue,
    Battery also drains 10-20% in 5-10 mins when the phone heats up.
    I know there are some people who doesn't have this issue, so those please share their settings regarding Sd card and other apps so I also can try them,
    I really want to use the device for another year, I used all my previous devices for 2 years at least, I live in a country where phones carry a 28%GST + 15% import tax ,and carriers won't offer any device. You have to pay for all devices upfront,
    And yes, an iPhoneX here costs equivalent of 1650$ for 256gb model.
    03-14-18 12:32 PM
    How old is your battery? My setting is the device is completely powered off because I bought a new device instead of replacing the battery. In your country, replacing the battery makes a lot more sense.
    03-14-18 12:43 PM
    11 months exactly, the battery lose power suddenly only when the device heats up, the main problem is device heats up pretty much at everything big or small, there is sudden dip in the battery graph 10-20% corresponding to each 5-10 mins when the device heats up
    03-14-18 12:50 PM
    11 months exactly, the battery lose power suddenly only when the device heats up, the main problem is device heats up pretty much at everything big or small, there is sudden dip in the battery graph 10-20% corresponding to each 5-10 mins when the device heats up
    This is usually where Conite jumps in and says do a fresh reload of the OS. Unfortunately,the PRIV was first BB Android device so it has many glitches and hiccups. I still feel additionally battery related. Did you run BBVE?

Speaking of Conite...... is he at the Justin Bieber for Prime Minister event ? Been awfully quiet.....
    03-14-18 01:11 PM
    battery health good, as per bbve, actually I installed the app just now, previously with SD encryption apps used to take more time to get installed( after download) don't know SD card as portable storage will help get over the problem, anybody noticed improvement with turning off SD encryption?
    03-14-18 01:47 PM
    battery health good, as per bbve, actually I installed the app just now, previously with SD encryption apps used to take more time to get installed( after download) don't know SD card as portable storage will help get over the problem, anybody noticed improvement with turning off SD encryption?
    SD card as portable storage of APPS may be the problem itself. Encryption could force device to run even harder in addition to no encryption.
    03-14-18 02:21 PM
    I'm doubting it's a setting, as apparently you haven't changed any before the problems. An app update can cause a previously OK app to run amok. Since you don't have that many apps, it might be worth un-installing all of them, and adding them back, one every day or two. Clear the cache and do a 32 second power button reboot after un-installing.
    Running an SD as internal is a really bad idea, even beyond the extra time, processor and battery usage. Leave it as external. If you put all your pics, vids, music and etc on it, there is plenty of internal memory for a whole boatload of apps.
    Only thing I can think of not on your list is go into location > 3 dot menu > scanning > turn wifi and bluetooth scanning off.
    03-14-18 06:02 PM
    just want to be realistic...

my girlfriend has a new Apple iPhone and when she uses apps like Google maps, uber or postmates, her phone overheats and she complains. I've heard people (who do not use BlackBerry)complain about Instagram and it's a data hog. Just sharing.
    03-14-18 11:15 PM
    Also try clearing the cache?
    And like Bla1ze suggested in one the threads, disable everything BlackBerry and Google Go's version of apps.
    If none of that works, I believe a security wipe is the only option.

ClassicSQC100-1/10.3.3.2163
    03-14-18 11:56 PM
    Hi all,
    I am using a priv for last 1 year, Stv 100-4,new bought unlocked, initially the device was OK, had occasional heating issues, I was aware of the issues with snapdragon 808 and I was OK as it was only once in a while.
    I was using a Samsung evo pro card 64 gb class u3, formatted as internal storage, only using whatsapp as social media, no facebook, disabled Google now, Google assistant, pretty much everything Google, only has play store , Google music and text to speech, from blackberry WatchDox, black berry to do notes, password keeper productivity tab are disabled,
    Browser is firefox with duckduckgo as search engine and adblock plus,chrome is disabled,
    Not using cellular data, wifi at work and at home, 4g reception is poor at work, so using device only in 3g/2g only mode, voice call and sms messages are only important at work, so I was sticking to the basics only for the phone.
    Now the heating problems became too much for the past 1 month.
    10 mins normal Web browsing in Firefox, device becomes very warm, 5 mins YouTube in browser, device becomes so hot that the system end user protection gets turned on,
    1 min of 4k video in cam or 3 mins of viewfinder on in still camera, device is hot,
    15 mins of whatsapp video call, device became so hot that I was literally able to smell the PCB from the board when I smelt the top portion of priv( I was using device despite system end user protection turned on at about 5 min to the call itself)
    5 mins if cellular data is on, device is hot
    Here are the things I tried
    Hard reset done 1 month back didn't help much, I think the issues got bigger after that,
    Merely using a handful of apps, (moon plus, opera vpn, xwidgets, some study and work related apps , whatsapp, Firefox, crackberry app, office suite pro,)
    Tried turning on developer options - animation turned off, restricted background apps,
    Was using SD card as internal storage, now I reformatted it as external storage thinking to avoid that extra use of cpu on encrypting and decrypting Sd card,
    Sadly all these things didn't improve the heating issue,
    Battery also drains 10-20% in 5-10 mins when the phone heats up.
    I know there are some people who doesn't have this issue, so those please share their settings regarding Sd card and other apps so I also can try them,
    I really want to use the device for another year, I used all my previous devices for 2 years at least, I live in a country where phones carry a 28%GST + 15% import tax ,and carriers won't offer any device. You have to pay for all devices upfront,
    And yes, an iPhoneX here costs equivalent of 1650$ for 256gb model.
    I swapped out Facebook for Facebook Lite and my Priv runs much better and the battery life has improved no end... I used to get the heating issues and the battery used to drain quite quickly even if I wasn't using the phone it was always a little warm at the back... So I reset my apps and re-enabled them one at a time until I discovered the problem with Facebook...
    03-17-18 05:02 AM
    I use the Priv as first device since 1.7 years and similar use like you; SD as external.

reached 3380h without rebooting.

always had normal temps except when downloading lots of data.

If I had your issues, before resetting , I would change the battery.

Regards
    03-17-18 07:48 AM
    After reading bla1ze s post u did the following
    removed blackberry hub plus , hub, contacts, calender, installed Google contacts Google calender, disabled keyboard extensions, I know I have removed much that defines the device a blackberry, but I feel the device is better stable now this way
    03-17-18 10:09 PM